2k Knights of the Empty Throne

Pyrescribe

I mostly played Ravagers and Cabalists in 2nd ed. This list is very close to the precise selection of models I'm interested in putting on the table, but I'm unsure of its viability.

Knights of the Empty Throne 2000 pts

Hold the Line

Ghur

Warlord Battalion (Heroes and Knights)

Hunters of the Heartlands (Chaos Warriors)

6x Varanguard: General, Wall of Cursed Iron, Amulet of Destiny, Tzeentch

Chaos Lord on foot, Tzeentch

Chaos Sorcerer on foot, Tzeentch, Mask of Darkness

20 Chaos Warriors: hw+shd, Tzeentch

5 Chaos Knights: lances, Tzeentch

Chaos Warshrine, Tzeentch, Heal

Eight-Fold Doom Sigil

Triumphs: Inspired, Indomitable (Warlord)

149 Wounds

What is it about the sigil that I'm missing that makes people say it's bad? Is it the possibility it'll do nothing if the opponent gets a double turn? Are extra attacks just not that important for StD?

I'm mainly a lumineth player, and people say the same about the nerfed twin stones. While they are no longer an auto include, I find it has a place in very specific lists.

Sigil seems fine to me. Bit odd it turns off when either player doubles but Slaves needs all the offence they can get.

I recommended dropping it as you seem interested in getting your triumphs and dropping it might make that more likely (not sure exactly how many points this list is)

15 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Sigil seems fine to me. Bit odd it turns off when either player doubles but Slaves needs all the offence they can get.

I recommended dropping it as you seem interested in getting your triumphs and dropping it might make that more likely (not sure exactly how many points this list is)

Why does it turn off? If I go first in a round, then stuff dies near the Sigil, then I choose units to roll to buff. Then, doesn't it say that the extra attacks last until MY next hero phase? Wouldn't that mean that it lasts during the bottom turn of the current round, and then when my opponent gets the double, it is still "on" for the top of the next round ALSO? (Since my next hero phase is not until the bottom of the next round).

The thing that turns off is the buffs that occur at the end of the bottom turn of the round - they are reset by the top turn of the next round as the same player has consecutive hero phases.  As I see it, that just prevents BOTH players' choice of StD units to buff happening at the same time.

What am I missing?

Edited by annarborhawk

22 hours ago, Pyrescribe said:

I mostly played Ravagers and Cabalists in 2nd ed. This list is very close to the precise selection of models I'm interested in putting on the table, but I'm unsure of its viability.

Knights of the Empty Throne 2000 pts

Hold the Line

Ghur

Warlord Battalion (Heroes and Knights)

Hunters of the Heartlands (Chaos Warriors)

6x Varanguard: General, Wall of Cursed Iron, Amulet of Destiny, Tzeentch

Chaos Lord on foot, Tzeentch

Chaos Sorcerer on foot, Tzeentch, Mask of Darkness

5 Chaos Knights: lances, Tzeentch

Chaos Warshrine, Tzeentch, Heal

Eight-Fold Doom Sigil

Triumphs: Inspired, Indomitable (Warlord)

149 Wounds

I like it, but with the new coherency rules, wouldn't 2x3 Varanguard work better, realizing that I lose grasping plate on one of the them. Also, breaking them up gives you 2 shots instead of one at bringing on a new varanguard unit if they die. ???

Edited by annarborhawk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pyrescribe said:

The 6 vs 3 coherency thing is pretty dependent on positioning and terrain, in my experience. On paper, it looks to be a hinderance, but in practice, ideal conditions rarely show up anyway.

You don't happen to be in Ann Arbor, do you?

I do indeed live in Ann Arbor. 

Well I took this list against KO with Gotrek on Veins of Ghur and pulled out a solid victory. Took grasping armor, dropped the Doom Sigil, and switched out the warlord enhancement from a triumph to an Arcane Tome for the Chaos Lord.

My initial worry was that I wouldn't be able to get enough board coverage, but two blobs of 20 warriors with two units of knights riding around seems good enough. Pretty happy with this list overall, hoping to get more games in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyrescribe said:

Well I took this list against KO with Gotrek on Veins of Ghur and pulled out a solid victory. Took grasping armor, dropped the Doom Sigil, and switched out the warlord enhancement from a triumph to an Arcane Tome for the Chaos Lord.

My initial worry was that I wouldn't be able to get enough board coverage, but two blobs of 20 warriors with two units of knights riding around seems good enough. Pretty happy with this list overall, hoping to get more games in.

Did you drop something else other than the doom sigal to get the extra unit of knights? And did you not find coherency a problem for the 6-man Varanguard unit?  Any further thoughts in retrospect on 2x3 instead?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

I'm a KotET player myself, a mate noticed something about our Varanguards has general, due to the 1.4.2 in the core rule we have to choose 1 model to be the general so our 3 or 6 varanguard are not general anymore only one within them is !
Which mean only one varanguard can use the Inescapable Doom, empowered chaos aura will come just from this lonely varanguard too ! Hopefully the Grasping Plate works on the whole unit (due to the wording).

We all know it is not intented but for now it is how we understand the rules...

Your thoughts ?

Edited by Arkahn