The Warhammer News Thread

Mutton

In an effort to clearly partition official news topics from leaks and rumors, I give you The Warhammer News Thread.

Feel free to discuss official announcements, Warhammer community posts, model reveals, company news/revelations, potential release dates for confirmed products, etc. All unofficial rumormongering and leaked models/rules for unreleased products goes to The Rumor Thread.

Examples:
A) An official Warhammer community post revealing Dragons. You can discuss the Dragons here.
B) Company financial reports are released. You can discuss corporate liabilities here.
C) Someone on Youtube/Reddit/Twitter says Chaos Dwarf models are coming and/or shows potato cam leaks. You can discuss those at The Rumor Thread.

Enjoy.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Subscriber

Looking good! Will be interesting to see all the different types of colours people will paint these up with. 

I'm guessing these will come in a a box of 2 like the Pusgoyle Blightlords, with the option to make one the hero?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Looking good! Will be interesting to see all the different types of colours people will paint these up with. 

I'm guessing these will come in a a box of 2 like the Pusgoyle Blightlords, with the option to make one the hero?

This means I will need x3 boxes … 

These are so 90's high fantasy I adore everything about them from Spyro-ie grinning dragoniths to the badass riders showing off huge baroque pauldrons and dragon halos in style.

Also nice this is how you unlock drake battlelines. Taking a Draconith prince just for that would've been pricey/cumbersome to say the least. xD

• Like 2

Finally no high-backed-armchairs 😜

Awesome model and honestly GW are really doing something grand in having them not just mounted but also in a flight pose - something that's even rather rare in 3D printing (there's a lot of standing/grounded dragons, far fewer in flight). 

I really hope we see other big models like that and other dragons outside of Stormcast  because whoever they have sculpting them now is really doing a grand job! 

• Like 7

Nice miniatures but I think that the whole dragon-SCE-thing is a bit shy? generic? classic? I can't find a word to express myself...
Don't get me worng, I like all of them, but their design seems to be less risky as, for example, Lumineth or Ossiarc Bonereapers.

• Like 3

The minimal riding equipment is a nice nod to the Stormcasts bonds with their bestial allies. The most they ever use is saddles so they can ride but otherwise forego harnesses, reins, dominating high backed saddle/throne attire on their mounts.

Similar to the Fyreslayers and Magmadroths that allied to put their gods back together this is an equal partnership between sentient beings.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

See now this is the stormcast I always wanted to see when I read the fluff about Sigmar and Dracothion.  The stuff from before just looked so chunky and sloppy and bleh.

Gonna get me a dragon army painted up and ally in some demigryph knights with freeguild general on griffon.  Or some Kharadron.

Either way I'm going to be playing Flight of the Valkyries on loop and saying "Nurgle don't surf".

Edited by Quasistellar

24 minutes ago, Beliman said:

their design seems to be less risky as, for example, Lumineth or Ossiarc Bonereapers.

That's exactly what you should expect from the faction designed to be the milquetoast mass-appeal posterboys.

In a setting like AoS, the "mundane" exists as an entry point for the extra-weird and as a way to contrast how strange everything else can be.

And on a note completely unrelated to any of that, with these dragon guys and the coalition rules, Bretonnian CoS proxy armies just got a whole lot easier to make

• Like 1

1 minute ago, japaricio said:

So with these new drakes, we can take out stormcast from the equation for this rumor engine:

image.png.f212075e302dd0680034efabf55cf73e.png

Do rumour engines go in the rumour thread or are they concrete enough "rumours" to stay here? I'm angry and confused. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Do rumour engines go in the rumour thread or are they concrete enough "rumours" to stay here? I'm angry and confused. 

I'd say they're official sneak peaks more than anything, so probably here. They're not really rumors, despite the name. Discussion of news and 'rumor engines' tend to go hand-in-hand anyway.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Boar said:

Good news is all the new dragons are super awesome and I will have to buy all of them, probably in multiples.

Bad news is that with these as battleline it seems I will have to paint a 2k army almost from scratch, with liberators, dracothian guards and stardrakes going yeet in the bin. Ah just like primaris release times ;)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, ian0delond said:

if there is rumour in the name...

Well I'm not the arbiter of what people should do--I just make suggestions. If everyone thinks rumor engines should go to the other thread, so be it. I just think they're more in line with official news than anything else.

46 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

If flamey sword guy isn’t called something along the lines of sturm brightblade then a bit of my childhood will have just died 

Yes I know he didn’t ride a dragon but he was heroic enough to be called by Sigmar across IPs

My first thought was Dragonlance too. The mention of dragon riders jousting will do that. They won't reference it though, any shout out to a rival IP is going to be frowned upon. In fact I was reading the article from a couple of days ago where they showed off a hobby-ists amazingly painted Thousand Sons, and they quoted her as saying that she like dthe idea of magic being a dark pact which destroys the mages physical health "just like wizards in fantasy novels". To which I thought, that's not really a generic trope, that's just Raistlin, I bet that's what she said and they edited out the D&D reference. Who can say?

I love that these are very much classic dragons. There are so many different dragon morphologies, and GW has for many years leaned into the winged serpent with claws aesthetic, which is cool, and I have several. But these have an awesome Todd Lockwood vibe to them, which I really love. That's the kind of Dragon art I'm most fond of, and the kind of dragon's i've always wanted for my warhammer armies. This is going to be a really epic expansion to the range. Can't wait.

• Like 3