The Bloodhorde (Khorne Bloodbound List) 1000 Points

Aspirant Snaeper

So I was playing around with the idea for this list. Not really designed to be competitive, more just for amusing play with my friends. 

The Bloodhorde 

Leaders:
Aspiring Deathbringer - General (Grants +1 to attacks to all Khorne Mortal units within 6")
Bloodstoker or Skullgrinder(?) (Either get more reliable charge move and re-roll 1's to wound OR get a far less reliable but potentially devastating boost to the amount of wound rolls I'd put out)
Bloodsecrator (Offers protection from magic while negating battleshock and grants double bonus to Reaver's attack plus a single +1 to everyone else's attacks).
Slaughterpriest (Potentially draws units in to be unwillingly mulched by the horde and provides ranged support to soften up targets as well). 

Battleline:
Bloodreavers (20) (The meat....)
Bloodreavers (20) (... and potatoes)
Blood Warriors (5) (Would either move freely of the blob or skim the perimeter to engage threats against important pieces, would work with Khorgorath). 

Behemoth:
Chaos Warshrine (Potentially grants Re-rolls to hits for Khorne Mortals and gives 6+ save to all units in addition to armor saves, also grants Totem bonus to Bloodreavers in lieu of Bloodsecrator, should he fall).

Other:
Khorgorath (1) (Works with Blood Warriors or alone as a potential distraction). 

1000 Points

Basically a giant bloody death star, with all of the units piled in around the Aspiring Deathbringer General and the Warshrine, with the Bloodsecrator using the Shrine to hide from view. Blood Warriors and Khorgorath would essentially operate as one unit and would move freely from the blob or engage anything that might threaten the Bloodsecrator. 

Not sure if I should go with the 'Stoker to get a reliable wound re-roll and charge, or risk it on the 'Grinder to get a potentially devastating amount of wound rolls (especially given the amount of +1's to attack the 'Reavers will be getting from the General and Bloodsecrator).

Also, instead of Blood Warriors and a Khorgorath, should I go with 5 Wrathmongers? With the amount of attacks I'd be putting out anyways, their might not be anything left of an attacking unit to worry about my opponent getting a boost. 

1 hour ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

Also, instead of Blood Warriors and a Khorgorath, should I go with 5 Wrathmongers? With the amount of attacks I'd be putting out anyways, their might not be anything left of an attacking unit to worry about my opponent getting a boost. 

In my opinion Wrathmongers would deal more damage and give you a bit more anti-behemoth than Blood Warriors and a Khorgorath.  I actually prefer the Skull Grinder but Bloodstoker is more efficient with Bloodreavers granting them that re-roll and extra range.

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

In my opinion Wrathmongers would deal more damage and give you a bit more anti-behemoth than Blood Warriors and a Khorgorath.  I actually prefer the Skull Grinder but Bloodstoker is more efficient with Bloodreavers granting them that re-roll and extra range.

Yes, as soon as Wrathmongers entered my mind last night they were all I could think about for this list. The thought of 10 Bloodreavers pumping out a potential 60 attacks, re-rolls to hit and re-rolling 1's to wound would be utterly devastating.

I might pop in the Skullgrinder if/when I see some easy pickings on the other side of the board. Re-rolling missed attacks only to double the wounds? Yes, please.

Looks like somebody is picking up Gorechosen. ?

I've not used wrathmongers but they are apparently the Mutts Nuts. If you have room then you should put them in.

I think one of the good things Bloodbuddies does is stick boots on the floor. Then the heroes are the peanut butter holding it all together. So the more you do that the better.

oh I think Bloodsecrator looks good but I'm not 100% convinced by his effectiveness as an anti magic expert.

Bloodsecrator and Slaughterpriest would share duties in magical protection, the Bloodsecrator lowering good rolls potentially, or stopping them altogether, while the Slaughterpriest can then unbind those that do go through. "Oooh you rolled a twelve! Yeah re-roll that... Oooh 6, let me unbind that now."

I hadnt planned on picking up Gorechosen as I actually like all of the other models out there. But the value and potential is making it a must-buy now.

14 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

oh I think Bloodsecrator looks good but I'm not 100% convinced by his effectiveness as an anti magic expert.

He can be a mixed baggage - forcing a re-roll of all successful casting dice is great but can mean your opponent goes from rolling a 7 to an 11.  Mighty Lord is one of the best though, confirmed unlimited unbinds ;)

13 hours ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

I hadnt planned on picking up Gorechosen as I actually like all of the other models out there. But the value and potential is making it a must-buy now.

It's going to get ordered after payday for sure :D  There are a couple of models I don't have (and would like) and I really fancy painting a Skullgrinder to match my Wrathmongers (and ultimately Skarr).  Plus the game looks like a lot of fun - and you've extra rules in White Dwarf!

23 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

He can be a mixed baggage - forcing a re-roll of all successful casting dice is great but can mean your opponent goes from rolling a 7 to an 11.  Mighty Lord is one of the best though, confirmed unlimited unbinds ;)

It's going to get ordered after payday for sure :D  There are a couple of models I don't have (and would like) and I really fancy painting a Skullgrinder to match my Wrathmongers (and ultimately Skarr).  Plus the game looks like a lot of fun - and you've extra rules in White Dwarf!

the original slaughterpriest also gets the unlimited unbinds.

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

the original slaughterpriest also gets the unlimited unbinds.

Agreed - however I expect we'll see an FAQ either confirming both have unlimited unbinds or both have a single unbind (it makes no sense they're different). Mighty Lord has already been confirmed with unlimited so we know that won't change :)

31 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Agreed - however I expect we'll see an FAQ either confirming both have unlimited unbinds or both have a single unbind (it makes no sense they're different). Mighty Lord has already been confirmed with unlimited so we know that won't change :)

well the wording is identical. so when they faq'd the mighty lord the effectively faq'd the slaughterpriest 

Thanks for the discussion guys!

On another note, I've gotten the idea to break up the Bloodreavers into smaller units. Rare would the occasion be that all 20 could lay into a single unit given their 1" range and they dont receive any bonuses for being in a group. The only disadvantage is that the Shrine can only bless one unit with re-rolls, but they wouldnt be able to attack cohesively anyways. This way I can split up the force if need be and wont be as vulnerable to blendy units myself. 

Thoughts?

The pros and cons are there, but if I run bigger units, I have more guys not doing anything or capable of doing anything. 

The intent was to run the buffing characters close anyways, and now I'm less susceptible to high wound attacks ("Which Reavers are you attacking?" "Shame that 15 wound wave only hit a ten man unit!")

I could mitigate the loss of the Shrine prayer by having twenty men with reaver blades to get re-rolls of 1's if need be, targetting hordes and tarpitting heros while the meatripper Reavers hit harder stuff. 

That disadvantage you mentioned was the exact reason I decided to split them up. Worst comes to worst, I merge them back together again. If they had a weapon with a 2" range this would be a different story, though.

1 hour ago, Wolden Spoons said:

I've not got the war shrine and I believe it isn't Bloodbound but can be marked Khorne.

Because Bloodbound isn't a true keyword, I treat anything that's "Mortal Khorne" as Bloodbound if I'm honest :)

Personally I think Chaos are lacking marked behemoths monsters across the board.  If you're running pure Khorne the only option is a Bloodthirster - until the FW dragon comes out that is :P

9 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

I've not got the war shrine and I believe it isn't Bloodbound but can be marked Khorne.

The other point being we lack non hero behemoths. How do we feel about it effective wise and flavour wise?

Indeed as stated above, the army is "Mortal Khorne". So any marked Slaves to Darkness units can be included as they'll have both tags. 

I'd like to see some regular behemoths, but Khorne is far from the only army to be lacking in big generic bruisers. It would be nice to have some, though. 

Ive not got my handbook on me how many points for a slaughterbrute?

Seems like a decent behemoth depending on costing, not amazing but decent.

Id just use the slaughterbrute model as a soulgrinder as the actual soulgrinder model is hideous for age of sigmar (same reason i dont like skull crushers i think the mount is too 40k).

6 hours ago, Warchief Varard said:

soulgrinder model is hideous for age of sigmar

Keep trying to work out a way of making the Soulgrinder less 40k looking.  The Skullcannon has the right balance between metal, flesh and armour but Soulgrinder doesn't.  I've a feeling it's the legs more than anything else

2 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

Not to continue off topic on my own thread, but I also exclusively buy my Juggernaughts in mixed boxes. I currently have six Bloodcrushers that I got between the Blood Tide box and Start Collecting, and plan on getting six Skullcrushers from the Start Collecting and Expansion boxes.

Not just me then!  I've picked up 3 from the start collecting and another 3 off ebay - planning on another start collecting at some point next year (have done the same for bloodcrushers too)

Archived