Nagash in Soulblight Gravelords

Neil Arthur Hotep

2 hours ago, djrodriguez123 said:

Tips: I’ve noticed that nagash is a better debuffer/tanker than damage dealer. Not sure what the rest of your list is, but you for sure need hammers so nagash can be your anvil.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:30 PM, djrodriguez123 said:

Anyone notice that Poland team tournament that was running 

Nagash

Wight knight w/ rousing and fragment

4 x 5 bloodknights 

Corpse cart

The list was repeated throughout multiple teams. Not sure how it would do in a singles open style GT. Thoughts?

When playing Nagash I think a big part of the challenge is deciding how to manage the spells. Sometimes you need to lean on the debuffs, other times it's better to just load up a ton of arcane bolts and smash.

I've played a bit with:

Nagash

Radukar the Beast

3x5 Blood Knights

Spellportal + Lifeswarm

So far it's done well. I like 4x BKs and the Wight King package, but I don't know if I'd be willing to drop one of the endless spells for it.

6 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

Well you can fit it in if you take 2 x 10 skellies.

I know the 3 x 20 zombies was played on a stream in a team tournament but I can't wrap my head around losing spell portal for Nagash.

Also the problem I have is that in this team event, warscrolls can't be replicated across players.

It's a six player team and our Tzeentch player wants the portals. There may have to be a fight to the death over them. Lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping to resurrect 😆🧛‍♂️ this thread to discuss Nagash in Soulblight. @Neil Arthur Hotep, your original post has been super helpful figuring this all out. I've been thinking about a Soulblight Gravelords w/ Nagash list, and looking for some advice as a new-to-Nagash player. I'm thinking about Legion of Blood which I fully realize might not be the best sub-faction choice, but anyway...

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Legion of Blood
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (970)
Neferata, Mortarch of Blood (365)
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Wight King on Skeletal Steed (130)
- General
- Command Trait: Aura of Dark Majesty
- Artefact: Soulbound Garments

Battleline
20 x Grave Guard (280)*
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Black Knights (120)*
10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85)*

Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 1950 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 75
Drops: 6

Here's my thinking. I want to run Nef which is maybe overkill, but her CA and Spell are spectacular, gives me a monster, and a pretty darn good melee threat on a 16" move. Her special ability that can slay a Hero is pretty good although obviously pretty rare to pull-off. Then I want to run a Wight King w/ Steed as General to get Grave Guard as battle line, and LoB command trait and artefact makes him pretty tough and hard to kill. He'd be on a 2+ base save with -1 to hit in melee. Could also run the oubliette or the ring of dominion but just seems better to make him tough.

However, now I barely have any points for battle line. The 20 man Grave Guard seems obvious, but I guess I could split them across two units to meet battle line requirements and still have some points left over for other stuff. The Black Knights are serving a simple purpose, fill a battle line slot as a highly mobile screen that can die and come back and screen again, thats it. It is a lot to pay for a simple mobile screen, so dropping these for maybe another unit of Deathrattle might give me more room for an endless spell or something.

So I have 50 points left over for an endless spell. Cogs are an option, Palisade is an option to protect from shooting, or maybe the Gravetide for another damage oriented spell. If I change up my battleline, I could try to fit in a spell portal instead, but I think the spell portal was nerfed lately and maybe not a required take anymore. 

Last, thinking Hunters of the Heartlands for my battle line is a good idea to make them a bit more smash proof, but could argue to drop that and just run this as a single drop battle regiment, to get the first turn to buff up, move my Black Knight screen into position, and start blasting. I'd probably start with at least the Deathrattle and/or Grave Guard in a grave site to bring them onto the battlefield later where they can be useful. The 4" move trying to creep them forward from a deployment zone, usually just ends up with them being blasted by a spell or shooting before they can do anything useful.

Thoughts? I've thought about going Kastelai, dropping Nef, and just going for Blood Knights but... I can't find any! (I do have 5 already, but fitting them into this list is basically impossible unless I want to drop the Grave Guard/Wight King combo and I'd rather have the bodies).

Edited by oggurt_da_bog_zombie

6 hours ago, oggurt_da_bog_zombie said:

The Black Knights are serving a simple purpose, fill a battle line slot as a highly mobile screen that can die and come back and screen again, thats it.

10 wolves are probably twice as good and only 15 points more… (1965) that leaves room for the burning head for some AoE missle, but beware of the rr1 to hit aura

Nagash & Neffi should make a nice and tough combo, although pretty CP hungry. With the gravesite you can call forth the guard pretty aggressively. 
the list sounds funky, but of course, you’ll play with a fickle god-model

On 10/1/2021 at 5:41 PM, Honk said:

10 wolves are probably twice as good and only 15 points more… (1965) that leaves room for the burning head for some AoE missle, but beware of the rr1 to hit aura

Nagash & Neffi should make a nice and tough combo, although pretty CP hungry. With the gravesite you can call forth the guard pretty aggressively. 
the list sounds funky, but of course, you’ll play with a fickle god-model

Ya, I'm realizing now that I'm going to be super short on CPs... I'll probably always use Nagash's CA, and Nef's CA is pretty darn good too, even the WK's CA is useful. I don't think theres a good way to get an extra CP with the exception of totally re-writing this list for Vyrkos and taking the Pack Alpha thing, but and I'm trying to keep this as a LoB list with Nef. I guess I could try to get a Command Entourage battalion, but with so few units it seems like a Battle Regiment makes the most sense to get the first turn, but I could take Hunters of the Heartlands and a Command Entourage (a full Warlord Battalion seems sorta pointless). Nevermind, I can't fit a Command Entourage battalion in as I have two "Commanders", so thats a no go.

The Black Knights aren't ideal but I'm not super worried, I actually think they are pretty useful. Slightly more mobile than Dire Wolves and do mortals on the charge. My plan is to use them as a mobile screen, do some mortals on the charge hopefully, let them die, and re-do it. I think I'll probably try this list with Dire Wolves at some point once I get a set and paint them up, but I already have some Black Knights so going to roll with them for now.

I think I'm mostly just trying to figure out if and what endless spell is worth it. Since the Umbral Spellportal is only one spell a turn now, I don't think trying to fit that in (by taking cheaper battleline) is worth it, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe it's just worth taking the Umbral Spellportal for the extended Hand of Dust alone?

Edited by oggurt_da_bog_zombie