Coalition units

Lior'Lec

Ok, so I do not own the CoS battletome as I didn’t really plan on making an army of them but a small CoS is now something I’m considering just to give me a use for my LA on Tauralion. Can someone enlighten me on what ways I can implement him and other SCE units into CoS? I may pick up the current battletome but would prefer waiting for 3.0 version so just hunting ideas for now. As I understand it he couldn’t be made general in 3.0? If he can please let me know what the differences this makes for the army between using him vs say FG general on griffon as my general.

13 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

Ok, so I do not own the CoS battletome as I didn’t really plan on making an army of them but a small CoS is now something I’m considering just to give me a use for my LA on Tauralion. Can someone enlighten me on what ways I can implement him and other SCE units into CoS? I may pick up the current battletome but would prefer waiting for 3.0 version so just hunting ideas for now. As I understand it he couldn’t be made general in 3.0? If he can please let me know what the differences this makes for the army between using him vs say FG general on griffon as my general.

You will need someone a little more experienced than me for ideas of implementing stormcast. I can answer a few things however.

Not running stormcast as general is no big loss really. With my CoS list I'd usually run a CoS general anyway as the different generals allow for different units to become battleline.. So you can just pay less battleline tax really.. Which is good. What generals unlock what units to battleline is usually dependant on there old WHFB armies they used to be in before the merger. So Dwarf general allows dwarf hamerers to be battleline for instance. Your general on griffin would allow swordsmen to be battleline as a specific answer. There's no stormcast general that moves other stormcast to battleline in CoS anyway. So no loss there.

One exception is that Aventis Firestrike can be general in Hammerhal..you get an extra CP once per game for this..
Which is underwhelming as now you can't take the command trait (unique character).. But he's the only exception.

The only stormcast I run in CoS are units that do anything my CoS units can't. Knight Incanter (free dispel) and Knight Azuros (re roll ones)  are two good examples.

Hope this helps.

Coalition units can be 1/4 units in your army, and cannot be your general.  But they can still take artefacts/mount traits, cast spells, etc.  Depending on the battlepack, they may or may not count as battleline (Note here that the GHB2021 battlepack doesn't restrict them from being battleline, but the matched play battlepack in the core rulebook does restrict them from being battleline).  Lastly, note that it is 1/4 units, and not 1/4 points.  A valid army is to bring 2 Lord-Celestant's on stardrakes and back it up with 900 points of cities chaff, as long as you have at least 6 units of chaff.

In general, I find that the cities best benefit from bringing something that is hard for them to get in the cities units themselves.  Considering that they already have 60+ warscrolls to choose from... this isn't much.  This means that you can pretty easily run Cities armies with no stormcast units at all, but there are a few that consistently make it in.

The biggest thing that cities likes to bring is stormcast wizards.  Why?  Every single wizard in the cities is rocking a 5+ save.  However, the stormcast wizards are generally rocking a 3+, making them significantly more durable.  The downside is that the warscroll spells on the cities wizards are all generally better.  But if what you really want to do is cast a spell from your cities spell lore, then a stormcast wizard is looking really nice.  There are use cases for basically all the stormcast wizards here, but in general it boils down to "how many points do I have to spend here" and "how fast do I want my wizard?".  Lord-Exorcists, Knight-Incantors, Knight-Arcanum and Lord-Arcanum's are all foot hero's who would stand in for a battlemage/sorceress on foot - though here usually it is the Lord-Excorcist if you want cheap, or Knight-Incantor if you want the auto-unbind scroll.  Then you have the Lord-Arcanum on Gryph Charger/Dracoline if you want a basic caster with a 12" move.  Finally, you have the Lord-Arcanum on Taurelion who is the only unit that can go in any city and have 2 casts.

After the wizards, the Celestant-Prime can be a decent hero to bring because he can still deploy in the sky with his warscroll ability rather than needing the allegiance ability.  Yndrasta can also be good as a big beatstick that beats most of the beatsticks available in the cities, and specializes as a monster hunter.  Then you have the cavalry in Evocators on Dracolines, the various Dracothian Guard units (concussors, fulminators, desolators) and Vanguard Pallidors who all do something that the regular cities units may find hard to match.  Finally, Stormcast have some shooting that doesn't bonus's for staying still, meaning you can bring a squad of judicators and have them running around and not be forced to castle up to get the most out of them.

In general though, cities have better shooting, better chaff, and better melee infantry than Stormcast do.  This means that there are only a few models/units from stormcast that cities really want to bring, outside of "because I have them".  That being said, if what you are really wanting to do is bring a Lord-Arcanum on Taurelion, Cities does run that a lot better than stormcast does (in my opinion), and I would totally consider building an army around wanting to bring that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, readercolin said:

In general though, cities have better shooting, better chaff, and better melee infantry than Stormcast do.  

Also better hats!

Saves on Stormcast wizards really is a thing, with the loss of Warscroll batallions Stormcast heroes start to make more sense because the batallion requirement fell away.