Path to Glory 3.0 Wizard Limits Hurt Lumineth

Juno

In Path to Glory Step 3 - Order of Battle, the Starting Order of Battle Limits has WIZARD units at a maximum limit of 1. Now we can get Arcane Waypoints as territories to get +1 WIZARDS, and eventually upgrade those to increase +3 instead of +1. But the issue still stands: early on in a campaign, the WIZARD limit of 1 is bad for Lumineth, as most unit champs and HEROES are WIZARDS. Am I missing something?

Edited by Juno

• Juno changed the title to Path to Glory 3.0 Wizard Limits Hurt Lumineth

It don't help with the Heroes that are wizards, all of them have the keyword, but the units like wardens, sentinels and dawnriders don't have the WIZARD keyword on their warscroll. The lack of the keyword should mean they don't count to the max number of wizard you can include.

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

It don't help with the Heroes that are wizards, all of them have the keyword, but the units like wardens, sentinels and dawnriders don't have the WIZARD keyword on their warscroll. The lack of the keyword should mean they don't count to the max number of wizard you can include.

1.3.2 Keywords states that "Every warscroll includes a list of keywords that apply to all of the models in a unit that uses that warscroll."

1.3.2 Keywords also states "Keywords appear in KEYWORD BOLD in the rules..."

22.6 Keywords says "Sometimes you will be allowed to give a keyword to a unit for a battle. If you do so, treat the unit as having that keyword on its warscroll for the duration of the battle."

Vanari Auralan Sentinels warscroll, for example, states "The High Sentinel of this unit is a WIZARD while this unit has 5 or more models."

The warscroll is the entire page. The word WIZARD appears on the warscroll, and in KEYWORD BOLD, indicating it is a KEYWORD. The Keyword section only states keywords that ALL the models in the unit have. Only the High Sentinel model in the unit has the WIZARD keyword, so it wouldn't be in the bottom row. But the High Sentinel, itself, still has the WIZARD keyword.

I hope you're right, in that they don't count against the Wizard limit, but rulewise, it doesn't seem so IMO.

The LRL unit Wizards are a bit weird, because they are only conditional Wizard, and it’s only the unit leader, not the unit, that’s why it’s not mentioned in the keyword chain at the bottom. 

If you think you have to limit yourself, then just go for it, otherwise talk to your group and explain that if you had to follow that rule you can’t play Path of Glory, which clearly isn’t the intention, and ask if they let you include Vanari units. I’m sure they have no issue with that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2021 at 3:04 PM, Juno said:

1.3.2 Keywords states that "Every warscroll includes a list of keywords that apply to all of the models in a unit that uses that warscroll."

1.3.2 Keywords also states "Keywords appear in KEYWORD BOLD in the rules..."

22.6 Keywords says "Sometimes you will be allowed to give a keyword to a unit for a battle. If you do so, treat the unit as having that keyword on its warscroll for the duration of the battle."

Vanari Auralan Sentinels warscroll, for example, states "The High Sentinel of this unit is a WIZARD while this unit has 5 or more models."

The warscroll is the entire page. The word WIZARD appears on the warscroll, and in KEYWORD BOLD, indicating it is a KEYWORD. The Keyword section only states keywords that ALL the models in the unit have. Only the High Sentinel model in the unit has the WIZARD keyword, so it wouldn't be in the bottom row. But the High Sentinel, itself, still has the WIZARD keyword.

I hope you're right, in that they don't count against the Wizard limit, but rulewise, it doesn't seem so IMO.

I was hunting around for an answer about these territory topics when I found this.  After reading the quotes you stated here about keywords I came to the opposite conclusion you did.

22.6 means the conditional keyword is only applicable during the battle, but the order of battle and path to glory maintenance takes place outside of battle when the conditional does not apply anymore.  So when you are designing your list it does not have the keyword but as soon as the battle begins, the conditional is checked and the keyword becomes active, but once the duration of the battle is over the keyword is removed once again.

Thank you for finding these excerpts, I hope my interpretation of the wording helps you too.

• 4 weeks later...

BTW this is now answered in the core rule book errate in the FAQ section on page 6:

PATH TO GLORY (CORE BOOK)
Q: In Path to Glory, if a unit on my order of battle includes a model
that is a Wizard but the rest of the models in that unit are not
Wizards (for example, the Steedmaster in a Vanari Dawnriders unit
of 3 or more models), does that unit count towards my order of battle
limit of Wizard units?
A: No

• Thanks 2