How would you feel about a studio selling “tournament ready kits”

Hey how’s it going I am starting up my own studio and I’m kind of gauging interest in this. 

I want to sell a tournament ready kit. I take an army thats meta and I build the meta list with a small sideboard, paint it up, make a display board, make it so it all fits army display and all in a carrying case and ship it out. It’ll be to certainly not display quality but to a quality above the average table top I see on ebay. 

i know these players are out there because I’m one. I like having fun in games but I also like competing. Spending 1,700 on a nicely painted lot that has half of it being units who’s only job is to guard the shelf is a waste. I don’t want to sell that. I’m here for you the guy who’s going to nashcon who knows he should be painting that kairos right now but is going to wind up painting it in the hotel room at 4 am when the first game is in four hours because if he doesn’t get it done he can’t field it. I know who you are. I’m here for you.

but not me I never did that. >.>

Would you guys be interested in something like this? Would a price point depending on the army of roughly 2,500-3,000 american sound reasonable for a product like this? 

• Like 1

I could see something like this being popular amongst some people (we're all different afterall and for some the painting/modelling aspect is a necessary chore).

I think the cost will depend entirely on the army in question, plus the quality you're going to produce at.  My initial reaction is $3000 sounds low -by the time you subtract the actual cost of purchasing the army, a carry case and display board the actual profit is probably only $2000 at best.  Having seen the standard of eBay paint jobs, I'd suggest using GW's standards of "battle ready" and "parade ready" as your benchmark.  It's more tangible and people should understand what they're getting.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I could see something like this being popular amongst some people (we're all different afterall and for some the painting/modelling aspect is a necessary chore).

I think the cost will depend entirely on the army in question, plus the quality you're going to produce at.  My initial reaction is $3000 sounds low -by the time you subtract the actual cost of purchasing the army, a carry case and display board the actual profit is probably only $2000 at best.  Having seen the standard of eBay paint jobs, I'd suggest using GW's standards of "battle ready" and "parade ready" as your benchmark.  It's more tangible and people should understand what they're getting.

Hey man i know who you are and I really appreciate your feed back on this. What price point do you think something like this would consistently sell at? Somewhere in 4k range? Also i plan on going to way more tournaments to network and get support do you have any suggestions as to where the tournament crowd would go looking for a product like this?

thank you for your feedback i really appreciate it

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Belathor said:

Hey man i know who you are and I really appreciate your feed back on this. What price point do you think something like this would consistently sell at? Somewhere in 4k range? Also i plan on going to way more tournaments to network and get support do you have any suggestions as to where the tournament crowd would go looking for a product like this?

thank you for your feedback i really appreciate it

I reckon you may well end up needing a range of different prices depending upon the army.  An army with 100+ models could be underpriced at $4000, but I'd hazard nobody would pay that for an army with only 4 models - that's taking to extreme examples.  I think speaking to the tournament crowd would be a good starting point - certainly the meta for AoS3 is a month or so off starting to settle as people try to work out what is good and what's bad in the new rules.

Initially your best bet is going to be word of mouth and a bit of social media posting.  Sort out an army to your agreed standard and play with it at some events, get your face known and make sure you're not backward in coming forward when offering it as a service.  Most people I know who do army painting like this tend not to advertise, although most are really active on Twitter and Instagram

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

I think you will definitely have a market. And I think if you are quick about it to build a meta army while it is still meta you'll be able to sell to FOTM players who will pay a fortune to have a ready-made army.

Since we are already talking about meta, a little rat just squeaked-whispered to me that the Vermins of the deep will be very very hot this year.

Just remember to convert the skaven weapon teams and so on, they will look much better then those from gw, and will probably catch the attention of a few many man-things interested in joining the tournament scene.

Ps:  just be ready to paint up to 160rats

Edited by Skreech Verminking