AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

@EnixLHQFirstly a big thank you for your time and effort with the guide. 

I got a random five Harridans for free and reading through the guide it seems they have been given some love. So will pick up another five to make the unit playable.

But I notice in the list above you have taken Bladegheist Revenants instead of Harridans. Is that simply that retreat and charge is more useful?

Edited by Souleater

7 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I am playing Path to Glory with my brother and I wanted to ask if there is a way to make NH have more punch? (He's playing Emerald Host, I am playing Stromcasts), since his units vaporize way too quickly for how many points they cost.

Simplest way would be to make sure he has a Krulghast Cruciator as one of his hero choices. That 5+ Deathless Spirits will help quite a bit.

Otherwise, NH is about the right hero choices that cover the right troops. Chainrasps are the cheapest way to get a ton of models on the table, and Spirit Torments are probably the best heroes you can take for their buffs and ability to heal and bring back models. Start there and build around it. Emerald Host is great, but don't rely on the bodyguard mechanic for longevity. Instead, capitalize on the extra damage it offers and the curse it brings.

4 hours ago, Souleater said:

@EnixLHQFirstly a big thank you for your time and effort with the guide. 

I got a random five Harridans for free and reading through the guide it seems they have been given some love. So will pick up another five to make the unit playable.

But I notice in the list above you have taken Bladegheist Revenants instead of Harridans. Is that simply that retreat and charge is more useful?

I love, love me some Harridans after their warscroll update. But, in terms of raw damage output they still can't compete with Bladegheists on a charge with a Spirit Torment or Chainghasts near by.

In fact, that's the rub of it. If you can bundle the Bladegheists and Chainghasts together in some way, that will make the point investment with them over perform their value. If you can't, then the Harridans will do better. And the way the Death Star build above works, the Bladegheists make up the rear of the Star while the Chainghasts go into reserve. When I'm ready to charge with the bladey-bois I drop the Chainghasts at 9" from the unit I'm going to charge and then charge with the Blades. They'll blender any equal-sized group. And, chances are high that the Bladegheists can retreat over that enemy into another squishier unit in the back line, like a bunch of ranged.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lare2 said:

Today's rumour engine is definitely giving out NH vibes (please be a new monster, please be a new monster).

image.jpeg.9a757a5b7671d75f73ae89f9ac62c191.jpeg

While I would love that, I do not think so. To me it appears like it’s the hull of a ship with some kind of naval ram - wasn’t there something with harrowdeep, the new Underworlds Place, being situated close to something called the shadow sea? Ä I can’t help but feel the mighty bone symbolic appears OB-like.

though, I hope for a proper NH monster. ;(

6 hours ago, lare2 said:

Today's rumour engine is definitely giving out NH vibes (please be a new monster, please be a new monster).

image.jpeg.9a757a5b7671d75f73ae89f9ac62c191.jpeg

The filigree does seem Nighthaunt. It appears on some of our things, like Olynder's corset and Kurdoss' throne. It's also similar to Kurdoss' crest and the Black Coach's wheels. But I don't know if that's a NH brand vs GW's take on the detail.

The bones are the first place where I'd think this is something not NH, though. Hexwaiths are the only place where bones are outright a part of the design, where in other models with bones there's also a fair amount of flesh, too. It may end up to be "ghostly" bones, though.