AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

Was on my phone earlier and posted in the wrong thread...

but there was a nice breakdown of how a Nighthaunt list performed at a two day event in the US called NashCon (it's a fairly big event over here) on the Cubic Shenanigans podcast. The list featured the Mega Gargant mercenary. 

15 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Was on my phone earlier and posted in the wrong thread...

but there was a nice breakdown of how a Nighthaunt list performed at a two day event in the US called NashCon (it's a fairly big event over here) on the Cubic Shenanigans podcast. The list featured the Mega Gargant mercenary. 

I assume this is it: https://cubicshenanigans.net/back-in-the-saddle-at-nashcon-2021-episode-80/

I'll be giving it a listen later.

• Thanks 3

Had a chance to listen to the podcast. They don't get a ton into the circumstances that Nighthaunt are facing in 3.0 that are unique to us other than the often need to kill something big fast if and when that thing shows up.

For some background, the ally used was  Big Drogg Fort-Kicka - Gatebreaker Mercenary. The data below is from Battlescribe, so if any of it is wrong, blame that. Points: 525pts, 35 wounds, 7 Bravery, 4+ Save, Move 12" at the start.

It basically has all the tools that are useful in 3.0 rules that we lack, including being a monster, basically flying, does extra damage against garrisons, extra damage against monsters, breaks terrain in addition to standard monster terrain breaking, stacks another -1 to Bravery with our own, and just a ton of damage output with a lot of it at -3 rend.

As an ally, this seems like a great pick, but as the Nighthaunt player says in the podcast it didn't necessarily win him his games. It answered otherwise unanswerable challenges we can't beat, like taking less than 2 turns to kill a big big thing, but suffers from being the big-thing-on-the-table syndrome itself and can get caught up. You still need to play to the strengths of the army, and your opponent and the battleplan will be heavy variables still needing planned around.

He didn't contrast and compare his list with a gargant with ones without. And, did I catch that right, he had two Black Coaches? He also never really got into the meat about what he expected this list to do. Your interpretation of his outcomes will be your own.

I think it's worth a shot to play with.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

Had a chance to listen to the podcast. They don't get a ton into the circumstances that Nighthaunt are facing in 3.0 that are unique to us other than the often need to kill something big fast if and when that thing shows up.

For some background, the ally used was  Big Drogg Fort-Kicka - Gatebreaker Mercenary. The data below is from Battlescribe, so if any of it is wrong, blame that. Points: 525pts, 35 wounds, 7 Bravery, 4+ Save, Move 12" at the start.

It basically has all the tools that are useful in 3.0 rules that we lack, including being a monster, basically flying, does extra damage against garrisons, extra damage against monsters, breaks terrain in addition to standard monster terrain breaking, stacks another -1 to Bravery with our own, and just a ton of damage output with a lot of it at -3 rend.

As an ally, this seems like a great pick, but as the Nighthaunt player says in the podcast it didn't necessarily win him his games. It answered otherwise unanswerable challenges we can't beat, like taking less than 2 turns to kill a big big thing, but suffers from being the big-thing-on-the-table syndrome itself and can get caught up. You still need to play to the strengths of the army, and your opponent and the battleplan will be heavy variables still needing planned around.

He didn't contrast and compare his list with a gargant with ones without. And, did I catch that right, he had two Black Coaches? He also never really got into the meat about what he expected this list to do. Your interpretation of his outcomes will be your own.

I think it's worth a shot to play with.

I'm a bit surprised more people weren't talking about bringing a Mega-Gargant in other discussions. I for one don't have one so I don't really put much though into them, but you make an important point about them being the only big thing on the table so they are prone to get targeted down fairly quickly. 

I am curious about running a second Black Coach for even more shenanigans on the table. I can totally see running one to each half of the table and just being a nuisance. 

Ah, my winning streak finally broke! 5-1!

In my escalation league, we finally played 1.5K points. My list was as follows:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Procession: Reikenor's Condemned
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (135)*
- General
- Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact: Corpse Candle
Krulghast Cruciator (120)*
- Artefact: Midnight Tome - Spirit Drain
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (215)*
- Lore of the Underworlds: Shademist
Spirit Torment (115)*

Battleline
30 x Chainrasp Horde (285)**
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Grimghast Reapers (155)**

Units
2 x Chainghasts (75)*
10 x Dreadscythe Harridans (160)*
10 x Dreadscythe Harridans (160)**

Endless Spells & Invocations
Mortalis Terminexus (85)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1505 / 1500
Reinforced Units: 2 / 3
Allies: 0 / 300
Wounds: 87
Drops: 9

One of the first things you might notice is that my list is 5 points over the limit. That was because both my opponents fell exactly 5 points over as well, and since it allowed me to slot in the Terminexus instead of the Reaper Scythe, I had no issue with it.

I won't get into a ton of details, as I have done so with every game so far and it's the same two armies each time so I'd bet it's getting pretty boring until 2K. This was a one-game day (to remind; we dice off and the top two go first, and then the winner takes on the third. I rolled lowest this day). The battleplan was Tooth and Nail, and I will state plainly that I think that is the main reason I lost. No reserves? Against an army that doesn't put anything into reserve? It's a tall order to get around.

The second reason I think I lost was I had too many points tied into hero support at this level and not enough units with which to do trickery with. I rushed Olynder instead of maybe going for the Black Coach or swapping some units around. Since I am ultimately building toward Sotek's Death Star build and using these games as practice, I didn't have enough to break off and hold multiple locations without troop support.

I lost, but by a thin margin. I killed whatever I came into contact with, the Terminexus kept my heroes all alive despite being targeted, and rolled across the board like a tidal wave. But, I couldn't detach the Harridans against behemoths and have them hold their own, Olynder was too slow to support with mortal output, and consistently losing the die roll for priority and getting one of my objectives destroyed from under me all combined into a losing strategy.

With the next 250 points I have decided to drop both Dreadscythe Harridan units, add some Bladegheist Revenants and Spirit Hosts, and the Black Coach. The KC will swap the Midnight Tome for a Pendant of the Fell Winds for some speed I don't think my opponent will be expecting. The Spirit Drain--which has been extremely useful against behemoths and monsters--will go to the GoS since he doesn't always have to cast Spectral Lure. And, being 30 points under, I'll probably have a Triumph.

Let's see how it goes!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

I'm a bit surprised more people weren't talking about bringing a Mega-Gargant in other discussions. I for one don't have one so I don't really put much though into them, but you make an important point about them being the only big thing on the table so they are prone to get targeted down fairly quickly. 

I am curious about running a second Black Coach for even more shenanigans on the table. I can totally see running one to each half of the table and just being a nuisance. 

I'll be having a strictly "for fun" game in the near future. I'll put Big Drogg in it and see how it goes. I don't have the model, but my opponent won't care if I can match the base size and generally indicate the height.

No idea how I'd build around him, though. That's going to need some thought.

I’ve seen a lot of people talking about bringing Big Drogg in a Nighthaunt list. He’s just a great fit for an ally with his high rend attacks, bravery debuff, that he has more wounds than any unit we can bring, and that he’s a hero/monster combo which is huge. In addition to that podcast I mentioned, a list with him went 4-1 recently. Mat Tyrell (sp?) has been running him (Borderline Wargaming is his YouTube).

I’m focused on using Mannfred as an ally and have been having a ton of fun and success, but the gargant has play too I think. 

EDIT: Adding some links:

Below should link to the segment on Warhammer Weekly where they discuss Reikenor being a hidden gem and briefly discuss NH as a whole. Tom Lyons earlier showed off that he was painting a Mortalis Terminexus as well. 

And here's a video from Borderline Wargaming that is a TTS match in an online tournament with a list feature Big Drogg, Lady O, and Reik (they're in Australia which is in a lockdown):

Edited by dmorley21
Added Links
  • Thanks 1

Howdy friends. I know I just posted, but this is different content so I thought I'd do another post. 

I'm going to my first 2 day event in just under a month (Michigan GT) and the TO just revealed the battleplans for the event: 

Feral Foray / Apex Predators / Power in Numbers / Savage Gains / First Blood

I just played Apex Predators for the first time last night - and disliked it for a lot of reasons. However, I felt like my list was actually in a good spot to play that mission though if I face Sons of Behemat and they go first... it's going to be nigh on impossible. I've also played Feral Foray and loved that battleplan but haven't played the others. 

I'm currently most concerned about Power in Numbers as the list I've been running features 30 Grimghast / 5 Hexwraiths / 5 Hexwraiths as my battleline. 

Here's the list I've been playing. (Which I've gone 2-0 with now after switching things up when I went 0-4). 

And here's a list I'm considering switching to.

I'm willing to hear general list advice too, but I don't have too many other units that are ready/close to being ready for a tournament, and I have limited time to finish painting and basing everything beforehand. 

But my main question for those with some experience playing, is which of those two lists do you think would be better for those battleplans?

Thanks! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmorley21 said:

Howdy friends. I know I just posted, but this is different content so I thought I'd do another post. 

I'm going to my first 2 day event in just under a month (Michigan GT) and the TO just revealed the battleplans for the event: 

Feral Foray / Apex Predators / Power in Numbers / Savage Gains / First Blood

I just played Apex Predators for the first time last night - and disliked it for a lot of reasons. However, I felt like my list was actually in a good spot to play that mission though if I face Sons of Behemat and they go first... it's going to be nigh on impossible. I've also played Feral Foray and loved that battleplan but haven't played the others. 

I'm currently most concerned about Power in Numbers as the list I've been running features 30 Grimghast / 5 Hexwraiths / 5 Hexwraiths as my battleline. 

Here's the list I've been playing. (Which I've gone 2-0 with now after switching things up when I went 0-4). 

And here's a list I'm considering switching to.

I'm willing to hear general list advice too, but I don't have too many other units that are ready/close to being ready for a tournament, and I have limited time to finish painting and basing everything beforehand. 

But my main question for those with some experience playing, is which of those two lists do you think would be better for those battleplans?

Thanks! 

Emerald Host working out for you better than Reik's Condemned? I didn't have much success with it once they forced the command trait on us. But I'm interested in hearing how you work with it.

How many games can you get in a month? I figure you'd do better sticking to your list doing minor tweaks if you can only get a few games in, but if you can get in a bunch then throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Here's hoping for a good event!

7 hours ago, EnixLHQ said:

Emerald Host working out for you better than Reik's Condemned? I didn't have much success with it once they forced the command trait on us. But I'm interested in hearing how you work with it.

How many games can you get in a month? I figure you'd do better sticking to your list doing minor tweaks if you can only get a few games in, but if you can get in a bunch then throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Here's hoping for a good event!

I haven't tried Reik's Condemned due to only owning 10 Chainrasp Horde. I'd have to make a sizable investment to give it a fair shake. Being command trait locked doesn't bother me as Lady Olynder is my general - and I'd rather be able to take Pendant and Midnight Tome than the Candle you have to take in Reik's Condemned. 

Generally, I position my block of 30 Reapers supported by the Krulghast / Spirit Torment / Guardian. Lady Olynder and her Hexwraith guard typically deploys on one flank of them, within range of the buffs from the heroes for one unit of Hexes and Lady Olynder. The Harridans I always deepstrike in once I see how the game is going and Mannfred is a freelancer, doing his own thing in another area of the board. With 6 casts, I can usually get some spells off as well. I don't have any screens, so I rely on the Krulghast's Ward and sometimes Grief Stricken / Soul Cage to make the Reapers durable, and then use a combo of the Spirit Torment / Lady O / Guardian / Rally to bring Reapers back to my blob. 

It's worked out well and my opponents have been shocked at how difficult the unit of Reapers is to shift. The Reapers don't get their re-rolls against small units or monsters, but with All Out Attack a Spirit Torment and their 2" reach I find that my big blob is still doing a lot of damage. Their shining moment was taking out a Mega-Gargant in a single turn (and the guy with the Gargants I've been playing against a lot just took out 1st place at Brew City in Milwaukee). Lady Olynder is also difficult to shift unless my opponent puts everything into it, which means she's a bit of a mortal wound bomb. On a turn when she's in range and I get one of the Mortalis Terminexus or Mannfred's Wind of Death spell off, I'm dishing out a decent amount of mortals at range. The new ruling that bodyguard units can't take a Ward Save has hurt the list though. Also, the -1 save to a hero of my choice at the beginning of the game has been great in this edition. It's sad it doesn't effect the save stacking, but it essentially makes my Reapers -2 rend against their biggest bad which can help mitigate save stacking a bit. 

The downside is that I don't have a lot of wounds or units on the board at all since I've gone for elite units. 

My fear is that with the Power in Numbers mission (and to a lesser extent Feral Foray and Savage Gains) where there are more than three objectives, I may not have enough units on the board to challenge objectives. Power in Numbers in particular says that if there is a battleline unit contesting the objective, other units that are non-battleline don't count. 

So in essence in my second list I'm dropping the Harridans and splitting the big blob of reapers into two units of 20. I have found a big difference between 20 and 30 Reapers in terms of survivability though, and am not sure if I should just go for it with my current list. 

As for games, I hope to get 2 more in before the tournament. So yeah, not many at all. 

11 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

Latest Rumor Engine looks pretty spooky. Perhaps it is a sign? Remember though that these could be as far out as a year from now.

RumourEngine238 Sep21 Content

Looks Ossiarch to me, at first glance. That symbol, is that a Chaos faction? Could be Chamon's symbol if it wasn't scribed normally.

20 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

Latest Rumor Engine looks pretty spooky. Perhaps it is a sign? Remember though that these could be as far out as a year from now.

RumourEngine238 Sep21 Content

I instantly thought that as well but then I thought maybe it could be some kind of plant life? Also, there's a dude's foot at the top left which implies, whatever it is, it's far from incorporeal. 

13 hours ago, lare2 said:

I instantly thought that as well but then I thought maybe it could be some kind of plant life? Also, there's a dude's foot at the top left which implies, whatever it is, it's far from incorporeal. 

I hadn't noticed the foot there on the top left. I guess it could be a tree trunk.

Absurd question, if I put a Midnight Tome on a non-caster hero, would he know 1 or 2 spells from the Lore of the Underworlds?

Midnight Tome

The bearer becomes a WIZARD and knows the Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield spells, as well as one spell from the Lore of the Underworlds. They can attempt to cast one spell in each of your hero phases, and attempt to unbind one spell in each enemy hero phase. If the bearer was already a WIZARD, they can attempt to cast 1 additional spell in each of your hero phases instead.

The wording is different of that of the Arcane Tome, implying that you get Lore of the Underworlds spell directly from the Midnight Tome (+ Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield) and another one for the free spell enhancement that everyone gets when you build the army for being a NIGHTHAUNT WIZARD.

Unless FAQ'ed, or mistaken, RAW we can have 2 Lore of the Underworlds spells on a non-wizard hero, am I right?

Edited by Garxia

@EnixLHQ Hello, your guide is well detailed and very usefull to a novice like me, thank you.

I have a question regarding this statement "Start with the Chainrasps leaving room for a Reaper to get within a half-inch, then Reapers doing the same for Kurdoss for his half-inch, then Kurdoss, then Knight of Shrouds (if Soul Cage landed)."

I don't understand how you can make an attack with Chainrasps then Repears then Kurdoss then KoS on the same target.
From my understanding you can do the setup below with one unit of Chainrasps, one unit of Reapers, but Kurdoss would be out of 1". So I am definitly missing something on the positionning of the models. Would you care to explain that to me? Thank you. :)

SyZkHDl.png

On 9/23/2021 at 2:06 AM, Garxia said:

Absurd question, if I put a Midnight Tome on a non-caster hero, would he know 1 or 2 spells from the Lore of the Underworlds?

The wording is different of that of the Arcane Tome, implying that you get Lore of the Underworlds spell directly from the Midnight Tome (+ Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield) and another one for the free spell enhancement that everyone gets when you build the army for being a NIGHTHAUNT WIZARD.

Unless FAQ'ed, or mistaken, RAW we can have 2 Lore of the Underworlds spells on a non-wizard hero, am I right?

I'd say there is an argument to be made for an additional spell, but I don't have any data from tournaments or originations that are allowing this for Nighthaunt. Sounds like a FAQ is needed, or a new battletome.

The key takeaway is that, RAW, Midnight Tome grants the Wizard keyword, Arcane Bolt, Mystic Shield, and one spell from Lore of the Underworlds. In addition, it grants one spell cast in your hero phase and one unbind attempt in your opponent hero phase. If they were already a wizard, this grants one additional spell cast in your hero phase.

This was needed in 2.0 to get the one Spell Lore, but in 3.0 Spell Lores are granted in the 27.3 Enhancement section. Spell lores are a part of the set of 1-each universal enhancements every allegiance gets and that includes artifacts. It applies at the same time as the artefact being allocated does? Shrug? If so, then whomever gets the Midnight Tome gets a Lore for the artefact and then another for the Enhancement - Spell Lore that's granted.

The only way this isn't true is if order of the subsections matter and are also restrictive. Meaning that in step 27.3.3 the artifact is allocated, but not any spell lores even if the artefact granted any, because in 27.3.4 the Spell Lores are granted. I don't think this is the case.

Also tools like Warscroll Builder and the new AoS 3 app (yes, beta, I know), don't allow a second spell for taking a Midnight Tome. 

Your call at your tables, or the call of the TO at any event.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:26 AM, Nqshou said:

@EnixLHQ Hello, your guide is well detailed and very usefull to a novice like me, thank you.

I have a question regarding this statement "Start with the Chainrasps leaving room for a Reaper to get within a half-inch, then Reapers doing the same for Kurdoss for his half-inch, then Kurdoss, then Knight of Shrouds (if Soul Cage landed)."

I don't understand how you can make an attack with Chainrasps then Repears then Kurdoss then KoS on the same target.
From my understanding you can do the setup below with one unit of Chainrasps, one unit of Reapers, but Kurdoss would be out of 1". So I am definitly missing something on the positionning of the models. Would you care to explain that to me? Thank you. :)

SyZkHDl.png

Love the diagram. I really wish TGA's blog section allowed for more rich editing options. Pages, keyword links, images that weren't just big blocks breaking up the text...

Anyway, Sotek's (and therefor my retelling/reinterpretation) use of the above goes more like this:

You charge with the Chainrasps and they start to wrap around the enemy. Since part of the strategy is not to charge from too far away, your average roll is going to give you enough room to pack them in like in your diagram, but shifted more to the left or right slightly. Then, when you charge with your Reapers they should only need 1" more than the Chainrasps, and instead of piercing the middle of the 'rasps a single Reaper tags the enemy to one side of the 'raps. The rest of the Reapers can just pile in behind the 'rasps. Finally, Kurdoss and whomever else slips in to the sides. Then, when combat starts, you use pilein to adjust.

More like this:

Untitled-1.jpg.54debb3379f532d493834dfd0cc96b67.jpg

Assuming that target is a unit and not a single model, this encourages your opponent to take models away from their front, reducing their combat potential. If they remove from Kurdoss' side, he can still attack with no counter. Same for the Reapers. Your opponent will have to make hard choices.

You can also use your pile in to shuffle your models around to provide some cover. Can't move further away, of course, but as models lessen you can fill gaps.

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/15/2021 at 5:09 AM, dmorley21 said:

Their shining moment was taking out a Mega-Gargant in a single turn (and the guy with the Gargants I've been playing against a lot just took out 1st place at Brew City in Milwaukee).

Oh you played Dave! He was my only loss at that tourney. NH actually line up fairly well into gargants defensively as their high rend attacks don't affect you at all. Those 10 -3 3dmg attacks still get dodged by 4+ unrendable saves pretty nicely. 

Interesting you were able to kill a giant in one go, what was the list you were running?

Edited by Btimmy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Btimmy said:

Oh you played Dave! He was my only loss at that tourney. NH actually line up fairly well into gargants defensively as their high rend attacks don't affect you at all. Those 10 -3 3dmg attacks still get dodged by 4+ unrendable saves pretty nicely. 

Interesting you were able to kill a giant in one go, what was the list you were running?

Small world! Yeah, I played against him three times this summer - twice in 2.0 and then once in 3.0. 

I found it to be a good matchup in 2.0, but in 3.0 it's a really tough one as the Megas are so difficult to shift for Nighthaunt. Battles tend to last a couple turns (as you're right about lining up defensively outside of taking a charge) and I'm never winning objectives those turns if I'm fighting on them. And most matches just don't have enough objectives to spread them thin. 

IIRC, the Gargant one-shot was due to a Wave of Terror roll on my unit of 30 Grimghast Reapers against the Gargant I had done -1 save to already with the Emerald Host ability. Reapers boosted with All Out Attack or Grief Stricken (on the target), a Spirit Torment, and a Guardian of Souls, can still do some work on single models. It's hitting on 3's, re-rolling 1's, and then wounding on 2's. Thanks to my Wave of Terror, I think I got close to 100 attacks in on him. 

Hey all. Just been thinking a bit about the next Nighthaunt book. Obviously, we don't know when this will be and it's all just speculation, but I think there's a few things we can maybe guess from recent releases:

• Aura of Dread may be buffed to be like Soulblight's Reanimated Horrors, where having more than one unit near the enemy results in -2 bravery. 
  • Myrmourn Banshees and Glaivwrath Stalkers may follow the lead of other small infantry units and become 2 wound models. 
  • Any of Lady Olynder, Kurdoss, and Reikenor may gain a Ward Save. We've seen this happen to several low wound but important heroes (Warsong Revenant, Celestant Prime, Yndrasta). 
  • Lady Olynder may gain Warmaster (but they've had opportunity to do this already, and have not). 
  • Going back to Yndrasta and how command abilities are getting removed from warscrolls, Lady Olynder's command ability may just become a generic ability. 
  • Spectral Summons may become one of several command abilities we can choose as an enhancement, and may become once per game. 
  • Different sub allegiances may unlock units as battleline. 
  • The army will probably have less army rules. 
  • We could see the army have two rules overall (Deathless Spirits / Aura of Dread) and then you can choose one army that gets Wave of Terror and From the Underworld They Come and one that is essentially Legion of Grief. This is how the Stormcast book is setup. 
  • Subfactions won't mandate certain command abilities. 
  • The army will get specific Grand Strategies and Battle Tactics that won't be better than the generic ones, but will provide more options. 
  • Both Knight of Shrouds will lose their command abilities. I would guess they might become generic abilities or they might get updated rules. 
  • Dreadblade Harrows will become a 2 model unit. There's been a movement to make units better represent what you get in the box, and that would likely mean Harrows become a unit instead of a single hero. If this happens, I'd have to imagine they become the Emerald Host style elite cavalry (but probably not that elite) while Hexwraiths, being the oldest model, get phased out with poor rules/points cost. 
  • With the disappearance of battalions, subfactions will provide one rule that battalions provided previously. 

Overall, while some of these may be reaches, they are all based on what we have seen from recent releases and not on things that I want to see. I'd be fine with some of these, and less fine with others. I do think it's a decent idea of what realistic updates we could expect to see. 

Do you agree that these seem realistic? 

And if so, do any stick out to you as being particularly game changing for us in a positive or negative way? 

Personally, I'd love to see a 300 point Lady O with a 4+ Ward and her command ability as just a generic ability to put her about the equal of Yndrasta. Meanwhile, I fear about how much dust my 15 Hexwraiths may collect in the future. 

• Like 3

So, I actually got to play some games this weekend (covid lockdown over for now)

First game was a 750 point battle for the start of a slow grow. We have to keep the same general throughout so with that in mind my list was

Knight of shrouds on Steed with Ruler of the Spirit Hosts

Guardian of souls with Corpse candle

20 chainrasps

10 chainrasps

10 bladeghiest revenants

Took on beasts of chaos, and we played the herdstone reduced my saves by 1.

A mislay with the gorgan got it charged by my 20 rasps, who wave of terrored it, so it was dead, happy days, I lost like 1 model to stomps.

Bladegiest shot up the board, didn't kill his Minotaur but did kill his bray shaman and ungors, so slowed down the summoning.

The best gors tried and failed to charge my knight, so I summoned the chainrasps, who joined into the big scrum around the herdstone while the revs charged the best gors with my knight. Leaving 1 best gor alive kinda hurt me, as it tied up my knight who got charged by tzaangor on disks with swords,  but I ended up burning 4 of the objectives for the win

Chainrasps are mvp, while bladeghiest are just fun.

Second games was a 2k game against squigs and my list was abit more jjst what I have, rather then something sensible and I decided to barely roll and 4+ for my saves.

I lost 20 grimghasts to a mangler squig turn 1, so that was fun, also only ever got off emerald life swarm, so barely any heals happening.

Chainrasps were still good, although I threw away ten when I tried for bring it down, and lost my revs the same time.

Saw about 4 wave of terrors that game which was fun and swords of stolen hours actually doing something.

Krulghast is alot of fun, and riekenor is terrible in combat.

All in all I had fun, and I think I can make my spoops work as a tar pit army

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 5:45 PM, adreal said:

Took on beasts of chaos, and we played the herdstone reduced my saves by 1.

Why would you play with a -1 save? Ethereal means nothing can modify your save, + or -. Did you also play that you could use Mystic Shield, All-out Defense, Their Finest Hour, Garrison, or Cover to make up for it? Because we don't get those, either.

Then again, I've been up against Beasts of Chaos many many times and I think I lost less of 5% of my games against them, so I can certainly see why you'd give them a buff. Though, if I would do anything to even the playing field with us, I would grant that the Herdstone gives +1 to hit in that growing aura. Same net benefit, less onus on you to waste CP on something you wouldn't spend it on in a normal game (assuming you played that if your save can be lowered, it can be raised, too). If you don't want them to lose out on All-out Attack or other +1 to hit abilities, you can make it +1 to wound instead, which only has Shademist as a counter.

Your games, your rules, obviously, I would just caution to not play games where you have to pretend a rule in your favor or detriment exists. You might find yourself unintentionally cheating with other opponents who don't know better.

Played my 1750 game today. I lost...

I was at the top of the order, so if I had won I'd have had two games today. The battleplan was Savage Gains. My opponent was Cities that was pretty much a maxed-out Sylvaneth variant. I was able to use my reserves again, so I started in a very strong position. I even had the first turn priority, but opted to give it away thanks to my positioning.

I won't lie, I lost because I made some critical mistakes. Blunders, even. I can count 3; the first being that I misunderstood the battleplan and fought hard to take both middle objectives for no extra points and a spread-out army, second that I left my own home objective forgetting that he had reserves to zone in and take it for a whopping 4 points, and the third to FORGET TO CHARGE WITH MY REAPERS ALL GAME!

Sigh... I suppose I was too excited and made some really rookie mistakes and no one to blame but myself. Still, despite those mistakes, I managed 3 Wave of Terrors, killed Durthu by turn 3, and stalemate his advances on all other fronts. But, my opponent knew the power of keeping his own objective safe to deny me the same bonus he got from taking mine, so...in the end he took the game.

But, every loss is a win if you learn something new, and this time I learned (in addition to the above), that I need to slow down. This is why I'm still a novice at the game.

Moving on, though, is the 2K game. I'll be using Sotek's Death Star build below. The speed I gained in the last points upgrade did amazingly well (despite the loss) and now the firepower should bring it all together. Hopefully.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
- Procession: Reikenor's Condemned
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (135)*
- General
- Command Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts
- Artefact: Corpse Candle
- Lore of the Underworlds: Spirit Drain