AoS 3rd - Idoneth Deepkin discussion

HollowHills

14 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)

Akhelian King (230) - General - Bladed Polearm

Isharann Tidecaster (105)

UNITS

20 x Namarti Reavers (230)

3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)

3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)

6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (390)

BEHEMOTHS

Akhelian Leviadon (380)

Honestly, unless she's flipping the tides as your general the Tidecaster is not worth bringing. I really see no point in trying to compete in the magic game with IDK, if you can call what she does competing. You have the leftover points for an Allopex, bring that with a net instead.

4 minutes ago, DocKeule said:

I am still not really sold on this "Reavers use unleash hell" strategy although it comes up in a lot pf places now.

Im mean sure, under optimal circumstances (which I think would have to be: Reavers in range of Lotann and the Eidolon of the Storm and the enemy be in range of the Leviadon bubble) we would have 3+ 3+ and should get 27 wounding hits (with no rend though) out of 20 Reavers (with the target being within 9"). That's nothing to sneeze at. But you need a lot pof support to make it happen. We are would be talking about 1015 points concentrated on a rather small part of the table to make that happen. 

Unsupported we would be down to 15 wounding hits in a regular setting and 10 with unleash hell within 9" or 5 wounding hits in general and 3-4 with unleash hell on more than 9". And that is nothing to write home about. 

I agree, it requires the stars to align and we simply have better tools. Though those support pieces can perform on their own (minus Lotann).

I'm more interested in trying just 10 out. If you're playing a battleplan with an objective in your territory, spending 115 points on a unit of 10 garrisoned in your ship 3" away from the objective seems like a good use of points. It counts as 10 bodies on the objective and you can do the 9" unleash hell for all models measuring from any point of the ship, relying less on good positioning with each model. Saying that, I would like to see someone pull off the 20/30 blocks effectively. 😃

• Like 2

I'd say lottan is not a nessary component in Dom han with tidecaster general where I'd argue the flipped tides is more useful as the run shoot because very vital to reavers. 

I think the best list is reavers and eels. As getting access to all the tool will make you effect against most targets. The shooting power projection is quite big, and the access to defense unleash hell combine with something like morraar shock can do a lot to make getting charged feel quite safe.

Plus aspect of the storm and turtle are net just for the reavers the eels and other units also benefit from thier buffs. 

From there it gives you more good targets for all out attack in more phases. 

I do think garrisoning the boat is a powerful option. A terrain piece we can place is quite strong when we can load it up with pepper.  

2 hours ago, mmimzie said:

I'd say lottan is not a nessary component in Dom han with tidecaster general where I'd argue the flipped tides is more useful as the run shoot because very vital to reavers

No necessary but it would be a component of the maximized output giving +1 to hit. 

I think the best list is reavers and eels. As getting access to all the tool will make you effect against most targets. The shooting power projection is quite big, and the access to defense unleash hell combine with something like morraar shock can do a lot to make getting charged feel quite safe.

Depends on what is charging you. From a Morrsarr trio you get on average 2 MW. That's nice on a smaller hero but with the more expensive units now often having ward saves they might even shrug that off. 

Plus aspect of the storm and turtle are net just for the reavers the eels and other units also benefit from thier buffs. 

True but especially the Leviadon's range is pretty limited and I would rather have it get Ishlaen to an unrendable 3+ save to block whatever is charging me than to have it hang back with the slowest  unit I would have in my list right now. (I am thinking about testing a Namarti-heavy list though since I have the models).

19 hours ago, Siorra said:

I'm more interested in trying just 10 out. If you're playing a battleplan with an objective in your territory, spending 115 points on a unit of 10 garrisoned in your ship 3" away from the objective seems like a good use of points. It counts as 10 bodies on the objective and you can do the 9" unleash hell for all models measuring from any point of the ship, relying less on good positioning with each model.

That is not a bad idea unless the opponent has some of the more current missile units (or a Warplightning Cannon) and shoots them before any units even reach that objective.

19 hours ago, Siorra said:

Honestly, unless she's flipping the tides as your general the Tidecaster is not worth bringing. I really see no point in trying to compete in the magic game with IDK, if you can call what she does competing. You have the leftover points for an Allopex, bring that with a net instead.

I think the IDK magic is objectively not even that bad. It is just that most players (myself included) prefer buffs or damage to de-buffs to the enemy.

Edited by DocKeule
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DocKeule said:

I think the IDK magic is objectively not even that bad. It is just that most players (myself included) prefer buffs or damage to de-buffs to the enemy.

I think what makes it dumb is the  unbind preasure. If you oppents have any unbinds most of our magic starts to suck really fast as a lot of it is kinda close range. Worse with a 30" unbind range.  That said i do think the aspect of the sea spell is quite good -1 to hit and bravery is quite strong.

That -1 bravery gets a bit stronger when you are dampening some unit's ability to heal. 

Thought up a couple lists, need some help deciding what to build towards. Which one do you think would be better and/or more fun?

Option 1: Ironrach + Gotrek + Turtle + 12 eels + 2 sharks

Pros: All the hammers, 3 drops, double net shark, nice mix of eels, tried & tested competitive
Cons: gotrek will definitely get nerfed at some point, lack of bodies/wounds

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Ionrach
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Akhelian King (230) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Command Trait: Emissary of the Deep Places
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Voidchill Darkness
Gotrek Gurnisson (435) in Vanguard
- Allies
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155) in Battle Regiment
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155) in Battle Regiment
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (195) in Battle Regiment
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (195) in Vanguard
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (125) in Battle Regiment
- Retarius Net Launcher
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (125) in Battle Regiment
- Retarius Net Launcher
Akhelian Leviadon (380) in Battle Regiment
- Mount Trait: Reverberating Carapace
Battle Regiment
Vanguard

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 435 / 400
Wounds: 95

Option 2: Feuthan + Tidecaster + Eidolon + Ellania/Ellathor + Turtle + 40 Namarti + 6 eels

Pros: All the rr1s, teleporting twins, +1 hit +1 wound +1 save bubbles, bodies, fun/weird playstyle, 2x Start Collecting
Cons: Might be trying to do too many different things, hard countered by spell-doms, not sure about grand strategy

- Enclave: Fuethan
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs: Indomitable
Isharann Tidecaster (105)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of the Deeps: Abyssal Darkness
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Ellania and Ellathor, Eclipsian Warsages (285)
- Allies
10 x Namarti Thralls (120)
10 x Namarti Thralls (120)
20 x Namarti Reavers (230)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)
3 x Aetherwings (45)
- Allies
Akhelian Leviadon (380)
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 330 / 400
Wounds: 111

Cheers for any replies.

That Ruinclaw article using that Ur-grub boost for Duinclaw has me wondering how far one could convert the warband into sea-insect silent people with a few covered heads and extra limbs...

Also love the midnight card. I'm hoping besides more sea creatures the next Deepkin tome can boost the infantry with allegiance abilities that play on their obscuring soul-stealing & memory erasure fog magic.

YOvvEhwFWQBTACfw-846x846.jpg

Edited by Baron Klatz

On 7/27/2021 at 3:16 AM, Kenk said:

I think like most tomes we’ll probably end up with multiple lores, one focussing on the sea/deep magic and the other on bravery/soul shenanigans.

Honestly with them pumping out monsters all year i'm hoping for a kraken model. 

On 7/23/2021 at 3:32 PM, Siorra said:

I agree, it requires the stars to align and we simply have better tools. Though those support pieces can perform on their own (minus Lotann).

I'm more interested in trying just 10 out. If you're playing a battleplan with an objective in your territory, spending 115 points on a unit of 10 garrisoned in your ship 3" away from the objective seems like a good use of points. It counts as 10 bodies on the objective and you can do the 9" unleash hell for all models measuring from any point of the ship, relying less on good positioning with each model. Saying that, I would like to see someone pull off the 20/30 blocks effectively. 😃

I'm running this list at a 2k event this weekend because I was curious to see how reverse tide with some msu reavers works. I also wanted to use all my sharks for a laugh. Not expecting to win but will give some info on how reavers perform in a real setting.

Fuethan

Eidolon of Mathlann Storm 330

Arcane Tome + flaming weapon 

Tidecaster 105 

General - master of magic

Abyssal darkness

Allopex with net 125

2x allopex with harpoon 250

2 x allopex with harpoon 250

Morsarr guard 195

Reavers 115

Reavers 115

Thralls 120

Leviadon 380

Ancient

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I'm running this list at a 2k event this weekend because I was curious to see how reverse tide with some msu reavers works. I also wanted to use all my sharks for a laugh. Not expecting to win but will give some info on how reavers perform in a real setting.

Fuethan

Eidolon of Mathlann Storm 330

Arcane Tome + flaming weapon 

Tidecaster 105 

General - master of magic

Abyssal darkness

Allopex with net 125

2x allopex with harpoon 250

2 x allopex with harpoon 250

Morsarr guard 195

Reavers 115

Reavers 115

Thralls 120

Leviadon 380

Ancient

Nice, looking forward to your results.  I think Storm Eidolon with Arcane Tome is kind of amazing.  And although I think sharks have SLIGHTLY lost a little value in 3.0, I myself have a list chock full of sharks, but I have not played Fuethan flip tide for awhile now. 

1 hour ago, Rhetoric said:

Nice, looking forward to your results.  I think Storm Eidolon with Arcane Tome is kind of amazing.  And although I think sharks have SLIGHTLY lost a little value in 3.0, I myself have a list chock full of sharks, but I have not played Fuethan flip tide for awhile now. 

I agree, but I just painted 4 sharks and I'd like a break from playing eels. It's funny how much sharks have changed in the last year. When I bought them they had the old warscroll and were only 100 points.

10 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I agree, but I just painted 4 sharks and I'd like a break from playing eels. It's funny how much sharks have changed in the last year. When I bought them they had the old warscroll and were only 100 points.

I hear you, I think both flavors of eels are the backbone of this army; but against some armies IDK can be oppressive so it is nice to be able to run something that isn’t Volty, turtle, and eels. 

Looking for help designing two different 1000 point lists.    I have everything so models not an issue, looking for a fun list that is good but not oppressive, and a competitive list.  

I was thinking the competitive list would be 3 Morsarr, 1 Ishlaen and Volt.
The Fun one I was thinking Tide caster General, Aspect of the Storm, Reavers reinforced, Thralls and Morrsarr.

Would welcome suggestions on either list, or alternative 1k lists for fun or competition.

Edited by Nerdkingdan

So played a 2k 3 game event today with the list I previously posted.

Game 1 was vs seraphon thunderlizard. It was a pretty bad match up because their whole army reduces damage by 1. So the sharks all become damage 1 instead of 2. It was a very close game. I had some bad luck in that he rolled double 6s to stop me getting my extra vp from battle tactics. I also made a bad play on turn 5 where I could have run away and tied the game instead of fighting. Final score was ID 23 Seraphon 24. 

Game 2 was a landslide against stormcast. Opponent was tabled by turn 3.

Game 3 was vs a slightly odd Std list using a lot of undivided models and belakor. It started very well for Idoneth, then wobbled a bit turn 3 and then finally ended quite comfortably as a win for ID with the opponent having been tabled.

My main highlights

Reavers are immense. Being able to blast rapid fire on 3s and 3s with some rerolls and then unleash hell. They really put a lot of hurt. I can imagine a block of 30 would be nightmarish. 

The storm eidolon is great with a caveat. He will pretty much never die. At one point he had taken 10 wounds, but by the time my opponent got to attack him again he had healed 7 of those wounds. You can easily get him on a 2 up ignoring 1 rend with a 5 up ward. The caveat being that he only counts as 2 models and he can struggle for objective control if fighting a monster who counts as 5.

Leviadon is fantastic. Pretty much mandatory especially given how many ways having a monster is important.

The Tidecaster being able to reroll casts but more importantly reroll unbinds is nice. I wouldn't take her if not for reverse tide, but she pulled her weight.

• Like 3

Hey I've never played idk before but I managed to grab the last broken realms box my local store had and also a start collecting box. I was wondering if I could get some input on voltornus vs king and how to build the eels and what would be good units to compliment what I've got now. Appreciate any input.

3 hours ago, Trickflo said:

Hey I've never played idk before but I managed to grab the last broken realms box my local store had and also a start collecting box. I was wondering if I could get some input on voltornus vs king and how to build the eels and what would be good units to compliment what I've got now. Appreciate any input.

Volturnos is marginally better than a normal king in my opinion. The main reason being his CA allows you to give 3 units +1 attack instead of just 1. His reroll aura is bigger, but how useful this is varies as several enclaves give army wide reroll 1s. His magic defence and bravery are helpful also. 

A standard king does allow you to get a command trait, an artefact and a mount trait (Volturnos cannot be given a mount trait despite what warscroll builder says). He will also likely do more damage when fighting especially if you give him the polearm option.

Both types of eel are very good options. Right now I would advise going for Ishlaen to start as they are useful in pretty much every list, whereas Morrsarr have lost a little value lately.

3 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Volturnos is marginally better than a normal king in my opinion. The main reason being his CA allows you to give 3 units +1 attack instead of just 1. His reroll aura is bigger, but how useful this is varies as several enclaves give army wide reroll 1s. His magic defence and bravery are helpful also. 

A standard king does allow you to get a command trait, an artefact and a mount trait (Volturnos cannot be given a mount trait despite what warscroll builder says). He will also likely do more damage when fighting especially if you give him the polearm option.

Both types of eel are very good options. Right now I would advise going for Ishlaen to start as they are useful in pretty much every list, whereas Morrsarr have lost a little value lately.

Honestly, if you run the math, Volturnos does roughly the same amount of damage as an Akhelian king with polearm on the charge and far more damage if you aren't charging. I also find that Volturnos/the King aren't really frontline brawlers. They're great for wizard sniping but definitely not gonna solo blocks by themselves. 

It's also tough to overstate the importance of the rr1 aura, especially during High Tide. An extra 6" radius is enormous. The Volturnos/Storm Eidolon combo is less than 600 points and guarantees insane reliability on turns 1 and 3 if you're not reversing the tides. 

Like unironically the vast majority of your damage dealers should be hitting on 3s rerolling ones and then wounding on 2s rerolling ones.

I've also found that the Cloud Eidolon is still unbelievably versatile, especially with his retreat and charge ability. Pulling the ol' bait and switch works against a huge number of opponents, and if they don't take the bait, you still get the benefit of throwing the Eidolon into their backfield with the ability to pop the cloud at any time.  

And, of course, Ishlaen are absolutely amazing. I value sharks more than Morrsarr now, as stopping pile-in is an unbelievably good ability and 2 sharks have way more consistent output and survivabilility than 3 Morrsarr for only 55 additional points.

1 hour ago, vinnyt said:

Honestly, if you run the math, Volturnos does roughly the same amount of damage as an Akhelian king with polearm on the charge and far more damage if you aren't charging. I also find that Volturnos/the King aren't really frontline brawlers. They're great for wizard sniping but definitely not gonna solo blocks by themselves. 

It's also tough to overstate the importance of the rr1 aura, especially during High Tide. An extra 6" radius is enormous. The Volturnos/Storm Eidolon combo is less than 600 points and guarantees insane reliability on turns 1 and 3 if you're not reversing the tides. 

Like unironically the vast majority of your damage dealers should be hitting on 3s rerolling ones and then wounding on 2s rerolling ones.

I've also found that the Cloud Eidolon is still unbelievably versatile, especially with his retreat and charge ability. Pulling the ol' bait and switch works against a huge number of opponents, and if they don't take the bait, you still get the benefit of throwing the Eidolon into their backfield with the ability to pop the cloud at any time.  

And, of course, Ishlaen are absolutely amazing. I value sharks more than Morrsarr now, as stopping pile-in is an unbelievably good ability and 2 sharks have way more consistent output and survivabilility than 3 Morrsarr for only 55 additional points.

I would basically agree. I personally think arcane tome is nice just to have access to an unbind. Being able to turn the eidolon into a monster can be handy too. Not saying cloud is a bad choice though.

Alrighty! Battle report time! 

Our heroes! Deepkin are my favorite army by far and I'm super happy to bring them back out in 3rd edition and see how they do!

Spoiler

best.JPG.e914d0795a71b30c77774c7415c73d16.JPG

Fuethan Enclave:

Eidolon of the Storm w/ cloud of midnight
Volturnos
Tidecaster general w/ +2 wounds command trait

10 Reavers
10 Reavers
10 Thralls

2 Sharks with nets
2 Sharks with nets

Leviadon w/ancient

Emerald lifeswarm

1985 points and a 1 drop! Grand strategy is keep battleline unit alive

Alrighty so this is the ol' "reverse tides and everyone dies" approach. New small board means it's pretty easy to run the big hitters across the table and smash people real good like. If I can't do that, this army dies pretty much immediately- no magic is real bad.

Reavers are quite good this edition and 2 units of 10 lets me sit em on my home objectives and not really worry about getting utility out of them. 8" move and reroll runs means they're super good at cheeky objective sniping and their bows aren't ~bad~.

Eels don't really have a great place in this list- I tend to be the alpha strike and sharks are waaaaay better than morrsarr. Plus I generally get to say who goes first if I have to go first to wipe someone out, I definitely will.

Opposing Army

Our hated rivals and also an army I like quite a bit. Whereas you may know I like the "Larry and friends" approach, my opponent brought the bunker bois painted in a beautiful fall theme.

Spoiler

980257372_opponentarmy.jpg.a23a3203dec7678f37a5979f50aae511.jpg

Gnarlroot Glade:

Treelord Ancient w/extra cast artefact
Durthu
Warsong Rev w/Chalice
Branchwraith

5 Tree Revs
5 Tree Revs
20 Dryads

6 Kurnoths w/Scythes

Spellportal
Spiteswarm
Gladewyrm

hoooo boy, lots of spells and save stacking. My worst nightmare...

Deployment

Spoiler

deployment.jpg.bfe0bb9f05ad8477aa532a964ae2c35a.jpg

We roll up apex predators and I pick the Eidolon, Leviadon, and the far right unit of sharks.

He picks Durthu, the Warsong Rev, and the Kurnoths

The second unit of reavers is deployed into the now garrison-able boat!

I obviously have fewer drops and graciously allow my opponent to take the first turn!
… 

TURN 1 

Spoiler

391155136_end1.jpg.14fd32660fc787b52efe5319591b93c2.jpg

He declares Aggressive Expansion and we both fail to generate CP.

His hero phase is notable for him making new Treelord Ancient woods, casting throne of vines on the branchwraith, then casting umbral spellportal, spiteswarm, having mystic shield unbound, and finally failing to cast the warsong boomspell (phew!) He bubbles out the +1 save and the spiteswarm bubbles out the +1 save too.

Movement involved the usual Sylvaneth trickery as he threw the Kurnoths onto the far left objective and a unit of tree revs onto the far right objective before moving up the dryad screen and shuffling the characters up behind it.

His Kurnoth fail the 9" charge into the left sharks.

He scores 5 points.

Deepkin turn starts with me declaring Conquer, him not getting a CP and me dispelling the umbral spellportal. I then cast lifeswarm and it gets ready to maybe help with the middle scrum that's about to develop.

In the movement phase, I notice the shark-sized gap between his two kurnoth and the dryad screen and CP my sharks to run 6" for a casual 20" plunge into his backfield.

Otherwise everyone runs up real far. Eidolon goes to engage the Dryad screen with the turtle right behind him. Right side sharks move up too and the reavers run to get real close to the Tree Revs on the right side. I steal back the center objective and the far right one.

Shooting phase sees me kill 3 tree revs, do 3 wounds to the Kurnoths, and stop the Dryads from piling in.

Chaaaarge phase and my dice decide they don't wanna. The left sharks make an excellent charge into his exposed Warsong and the Eidolon hits the dryads. The turtle and second unit of sharks fail their respective 5" charges even with a reroll and the line sort of stalls a little.

In combat my Eidolon kills a mighty 4 dryads but the sharks do the deepkin thing and erase the warsong with the help of all out attack. Who knew that 2's rerolling ones to hit and wound with 6 attacks, -2 rend and 2 damage would be so good?!!? Plus the guys on the back are 12 attacks at 2rr1s/2/-/1 which lets me cut through the 4+/4+ save warsong no problem.

I score 5 points

It's a tie game at 5-5 going into turn 2 and the Sylvaneth win priority!

TURN 2

Spoiler

e2.jpg.8cc25c5fd3a0795e66340b5cab7a1e6d.jpg

He nominates my poor Namarti Thralls for Broken Ranks and we both fail to generate CP, as is tradition. He casts gladewyrm and can't summon any dryads thanks to my sharks blocking out the woods by his branchwraith. He also dispels my lifeswarm.

He moves up his Kurnoth their whole 5" to get within range of my poor thralls, but a cheeky redeploy pulls them way back. Otherwise Durthu and the Treelord Ancient get ready to do unspeakable things to my poor left sharks. He also flings over his other 5 Tree Revs to try and kill the reavers on the far right objective, which would give him control.

Shooting is pretty unremarkable. The sharks take some wounds.

He whiffs the long bomb charge with the Kurnoths which is a HUGE relief and guarantees my wee thralls live to do nothing for another day. The tree revs also make their charge into the reavers.

Durthu makes the sharks strike last and erases them from existence.

However, the reavers strike first and kill a couple tree revs, only losing 4 in response and keeping me in control of the left objective.

The Eidolon does marginally better and kills like 8 dryads.

He scores 1 point for holding the back left objective.

My turn starts and I see an easy bonus point for Broken Ranks and declare the 2 man tree rev unit as the target.

Hero phase is a thing that exists for other, non-deepkin armies.

Movement phase involves me moving the leviadon over to goon some poor innocent tree revs for that sweet sweet bonus point. I also realize that I should probably try and kill some predator units with my predator units and that the Kurnoths seem a little out of position and also on an objective I would like to have. So stuff starts to move down towards them. The thralls move towards the Kurnoths to taunt them but also screen out the objective a little bit.

Shooting plunks a Kurnoth and the reavers ERASE the 3-man unit of tree revs.

Charges go better this time and the Leviadon kills the Broken Ranks target for the bonus point! The Eidolon finishes off the dryads, finally.

I score 6 points (hold one, hold 2, hold more, battle tactic, monster bonus)

Score is 11-6 going into turn 3 and I get the double!

TURN 3

Spoiler

end3.jpg.1c28a410d15e1a47b09531470efa5315.jpg

We're back to Flood Tide and I declare Savage Spearhead since he burned the left objective and the huge territories in this scenario make it real easy.

Everyone comes on down to bully the Kurnoths, specifically, the Eidolon and predator Sharks come to bully them to try and get some bonus points.

Not really much else happened except I killed all except 1 and scored another casual 5 points.

He starts off by declaring conquer and making Durthu/the TLA +3 move/charge. Since the Eidolon has the cloud of making Durthu useless for a turn, he decides to bully some Thralls and also maybe Volturnos. As he does so I declare another redeploy and chuck Volty behind his endless spell, making it really really hard for them to charge him.

He does summon some Dryads and teleport them to the center objective to ensure that I have to come shift them.

And then he predictably erases the poor thralls who never hurt anyone. BUT he can't get to Volturnos.

Meanwhile the Eidolon/Shark team kill the last Kurnoth, getting me a bonus predator point.

He scores 3 points and I score 1.

Score is 17-9 going into turn 4 and I win priority!

TURN 4

Spoiler

660886334_end4.jpg.5e95993f7c99527ef0abf612ff99a050.jpg

I've got a comfortable points lead and figure I just need to hang on for a little while longer so declare ferocious advance with volturnos, the tidecaster, and the bottom reaver squad.

They run to get me the bonus points while the leviadon, eidolon, and shark unit prepare to kill 10 dryads harder than anyone's ever killed them before.

They do so and the turn ends with me scoring 3 points.

My opponent realizes he's gotta score big this turn and declares Monstrous Takeover.

Durthu continues to wisely avoid the Eidolon bait and instead murders a whole bunch of sharks despite my use of redeploy. The TLK does like 3 wounds to the Eidolon who slaps like 4 wounds back.

He scores 4 points (1 objective, 1 battle tactic, 1 killing a predator unit)

At this point the score is 20-13 and we call the game.

DEEPKIN VICTORY

AFTERTHOUGHTS

This was a really good game!

I was pretty pleased with my deepkin list in general, but I really don't think the lifeswarm is worth the investment when I have just absolute trash magic.

The Eidolon is still an unbelievably good model, but frustrating in how it's an ok brawler but has an incredible buff. It's tough to pick his combats well and the Cloud of Midnight is pretty much an auto-include to give you a get out of jail free card if he gets caught out by a double turn.

Volturnos is another model that might actually not be hyper necessary. I never used his super juice ability and with Fuethan, the whole army rerolling ones for turns 1 and 3 seems like it may be sufficient. Especially when you're reversing the tides and not benefitting from battleline eels. 260 points is 2 more sharks and I can't help but think that might be a better investment. All out attack exists and the Eidolon doesn't actually benefit from Volty's aura.

I also actually didn't miss eels. 3+ unrendable doesn't go nearly as far as 2+, and with the tides being reversed, I'm all in on the alpha strike which means that the Ishlaen screen isn't really helpful and Morrsarr output isn't nearly as consistent as the sharks.

Deepkin also suffer from not being able to bring ~the nonesense~ that top AoS 3.0 armies can utilize. I don't get unkillable god monsters that nuke armies by themselves and can never die. I don't get to auto-kill stuff with destiny dice while churning out spawn through unblockable 6MW spells and altering dice rolls. I don't get to shut down units for phases while bringing 50 model resurrectable battleline units.

Deepkin output suffers greatly in this new edition of save stacking and MW spam but I really think they've got potential. I'll be absolutely playing them in the future and will keep you all updated!

Edited by vinnyt
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Im having my first 3.0 tournament next Saturday.

Spoiler

- Enclave: Nautilar

- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Volturnos, High King of the Deep (260)*

- General

Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)*

- Artefact: Arcane Tome

- Lore of the Deeps: Tide of Fear

UNITS

3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)*

2 x Akhelian Allopexes (250)*

- Razorshell Harpoon

- Retarius Net Launcher

BEHEMOTHS

Akhelian Leviadon (380)*

- Mount Trait: Ancient

CORE BATTALIONS

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL: 1935/2000 WOUNDS: 104

LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4

ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4

I have tried a similar list a few times and in worked out pretty well. I have enough bodies, some shooting and the army is pretty mobile. Making the Eidolon of the Storm a wizard gives me at least a chance to ban or dispel and endless spell here and there. 

I am still unsure if I want to go turtle and Eidolon or double turtle for competitive settings. I would like to have both but that would mean reducing the sharks down to one.

I am not really happe about being 65 points under but even if I switched out Volturnos for a generic king there would be no useful addition. Maybe I will buy the generic endless spells once they are re-released. 

On 8/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, DocKeule said:

Im having my first 3.0 tournament next Saturday.

Reveal hidden contents

- Enclave: Nautilar

- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS

Volturnos, High King of the Deep (260)*

- General

Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)*

- Artefact: Arcane Tome

- Lore of the Deeps: Tide of Fear

UNITS

- Razorshell Harpoon

- Retarius Net Launcher

BEHEMOTHS

Akhelian Leviadon (380)*

- Mount Trait: Ancient

CORE BATTALIONS

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL: 1935/2000 WOUNDS: 104

LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4

ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4

I have tried a similar list a few times and in worked out pretty well. I have enough bodies, some shooting and the army is pretty mobile. Making the Eidolon of the Storm a wizard gives me at least a chance to ban or dispel and endless spell here and there. 

I am still unsure if I want to go turtle and Eidolon or double turtle for competitive settings. I would like to have both but that would mean reducing the sharks down to one.

I am not really happe about being 65 points under but even if I switched out Volturnos for a generic king there would be no useful addition. Maybe I will buy the generic endless spells once they are re-released. 

I've run a similar list with great effect. Personally I would run all of the Allopexes with nets, I really rate the no pile-in when you're playing with so few bodies. Also, could be worth considering Aetherwings to fill in those last points?

Edited by Siorra

25 minutes ago, Siorra said:

I've run a similar list with great effect. Personally I would run all of the Allopexes with nets, I really rate the no-pile in when you're playing with so few bodies. Also, could be worth considering Aetherwings to fill in those last points?

My reasoning for the regular harpoons was the higher chance of doing some damage before close combat and guaranty the extra bite-attack for the sharks on my turn at least. 

Aetherwings would be a smart choice but I am not really into allies and mixing. Hurts my fluff-bunny heart 😁

I will report how it went any way and post a few pictures. The tournament takes place at one of the biggest tabletob clubs in Germany. Those guys have 16 tables in their clubhouse.

• Thanks 1