AoS 3rd - Idoneth Deepkin discussion

HollowHills

On 8/21/2021 at 9:49 AM, DocKeule said:

I am not really happe about being 65 points under but even if I switched out Volturnos for a generic king there would be no useful addition. Maybe I will buy the generic endless spells once they are re-released. 

You could use the points to change one unit of Ishlaen Guard to Morrsarr

True. I am not the biggest fan of Morrsarr though. I played them quite a lot early when IDK came out but came to find that the Ishlaen's sturdiness did much more for me in most games. 

In my opinion the Morrsarr are overpriced by now or at least the sharks have become the better hammer im comparison. When Morrsarr get stuck in combat they are mediocre at best and crumble quickly.

But I will see. Saturday will be my fist competitive games in a while (and in 3.0). 

What’s everyone experience with Reavers in 3.0?  I own 20, but I’ve played them before they were the talk of the town, but was never impressed.  

I could see the merit of having some more bodies on objectives, but I’m not sure how they stack up against Morrsarr/Sharks on points. 

On 8/24/2021 at 10:23 AM, DocKeule said:

Aetherwings would be a smart choice but I am not really into allies and mixing. Hurts my fluff-bunny heart 😁

This post got me thinking. I’ve seen someone use tzeentch screamers as the basis for manta ray style counts as aetherwings. But then I thought why not use some of the spare fish from idoneth kits stuck onto a base. Was assembling my gloomtide shipwreck today, there are so many spare fish!

Anyone else done this?

5 hours ago, GrimDork said:

This post got me thinking. I’ve seen someone use tzeentch screamers as the basis for manta ray style counts as aetherwings. But then I thought why not use some of the spare fish from idoneth kits stuck onto a base. Was assembling my gloomtide shipwreck today, there are so many spare fish!

Anyone else done this?

I play storm cast, so I got the Aetherwings, my plan is to do that, but have the birds with me if someone has issues.  Also thinking of getting the crab and fish from undereorlds on an appropriate base and scenery base for correct height.

Edited by Nerdkingdan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GrimDork said:

Anyone else done this?

I like the visual concept of the screamers. The more symmetric one might not even look that evil.

The fish-idea ist not bad as well. Especially since I now have a second ship (with all the fishes) that I can't use anymore.

• Like 1

Well that did not go as planned...

But fist things first...this was my fist tournament since 2019 and I was happy to be back at the "Würfelgötter" (Dice Gods) clubhouse in the North-West of Germany

Spoiler

692f3a2a-456e-494d-b46b-37e05ba7ed67.jpg.9e40162e58aabda441d07164df9cbcac.jpgb1a7dd9e-4d06-44f5-a552-2337f57b3dff.jpg.ae636b8d7e5416a942f39b055d45f428.jpgb10b0ee1-5fa4-47a7-9b4c-cb273f7604ec.jpg.3ae4924ba4d8fbd4ebe9e1c8c65963bf.jpg

I used the list I had posted a few days ago

Spoiler

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Nautilar
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADERS
Volturnos, High King of the Deep (260)*
- General
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Lore of the Deeps: Tide of Fear

UNITS
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)*
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (250)*
- Razorshell Harpoon
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (250)*
- Retarius Net Launcher

BEHEMOTHS
Akhelian Leviadon (380)*
- Mount Trait: Ancient

CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment

TOTAL: 1935/2000 WOUNDS: 104
LEADERS: 2/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400
REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4

The first game (Power Struggle) was a mirror match with another IDK player who hat a pretty similar list. (Only difference was he had only one shark, one unit of 6 Morrsarr and Aether Wings). I made an unnecessary major mistake by exposing my left flank with one of the objectives to concentrate on his center.  He got a doubleturn in the third round  which put me further on the back foot and by round four only a double turn for my might have saved the game. 

Spoiler

These are some of my models:
0d5a59c4-8bd7-401f-bee4-da6e8a1c9534.jpg.339d676df6823ca126c1239167c7822a.jpg

This is most of my opponents army:
191ef793-69fa-4693-8c0a-de5732649cfd.jpg.16b5c309a1ad1a1888c39be9725a0833.jpg

Second game (The Vice) was against a "Guild of Summoners" Tzeentch List that was built purely for maximum magic output (and summoning two Lords of Change) so he pretty much just mortal wounded me to death with very little I could to about it. I didn't lose one unit to combat but did very little to him as well because I mostly got stuck with Horrors and could not reach his more important units.
He denied me my first battle tactic with Be'Lakor's ability where my Eidolon could not move and a second time when he changed my charge-roll with Kairos' ability. 

Well that was not much fun...

Spoiler

46e7f494-9b04-4fc3-a5f7-5da592d34505.jpg.b0fad0b659d8a8135121f82e82cee611.jpg

The last game (Feral Foray) was against Soulblight Gravelords and at least it had some melee-action. I kind of got some of our own medicine when after saves and wards of all my attacks (including re-rolls and +1 to wound) caused maybe a handful of wounds (and then of course came the healing). 

I got rid of a vampire lord on zombie-dragon pretty quickly but that was about all I accomplished. I also failed to screen the gravesites on my side of the table enough to deny his deep striking plus I lost all initiatives from round two on. 

Spoiler

50b225b9-be26-4a1d-8da7-446f7497581d.jpg.7436fc98dd369d65b9dc5570e9b96ff9.jpg57116ed3-cf0d-4ed5-b8bf-10f7bae44f28.jpg.593f4196c8cdfe3c568194db0e0ccad9.jpg

Well I need a lot more practise. That much is for sure. (Unfortunately it is not that easy getting AoS games in my area. 40k would not be a problem.) These where only my games 3-5 in 3.0. 

• 3 weeks later...

Played a one dayer and I’m not sure I stand behind Morrsarr in 3.0.  it really hurts them only being 1 model on objectives.  And -2 rend on the charge is good, but you can still bounce off units.  

Mortal Wounds are really an issue in this army now, we barely have access to them and we have no protection from them.  I wish sharks could give themselves CA’s but It feels like we need another Akhelian hero that you’re not protecting until High Tide.  

1 hour ago, Rhetoric said:

Played a one dayer and I’m not sure I stand behind Morrsarr in 3.0.  it really hurts them only being 1 model on objectives.  And -2 rend on the charge is good, but you can still bounce off units.  

Mortal Wounds are really an issue in this army now, we barely have access to them and we have no protection from them.  I wish sharks could give themselves CA’s but It feels like we need another Akhelian hero that you’re not protecting until High Tide.  

I agree about the mortal wounds, eels are all we got for that, well that and a generic prayer.  What do you suggest as alternative list?   

Sharks offer rend much more reliably and their output is comparable especially if you get at least a wound on the target in the shooting phase.

I am going to try a completely different approach for a two-day tournament on the first weekend of October and go centerpiece-heavy. 

Also I am not going for one drop this time. With the new battle strategies going first is not that important any more in my opinion. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Nautilar
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Indomitable

LEADERS
Volturnos, High King of the Deep (260)*
- General
Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm (330)*
- Artefact: Cloud of Midnight
Isharann Soulscryer (140)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Lore of the Deeps: Tide of Fear
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse

UNITS
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (155)**

BEHEMOTHS
Akhelian Leviadon (380)***
- Mount Trait: Ancient
Akhelian Leviadon (380)***

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
Chronomantic Cogs (45)

CORE BATTALIONS
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Alpha-Beast Pack

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Artefact

TOTAL: 2000/2000 WOUNDS: 93
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 1/3 ALLIES: 0/400
REINFORCED UNITS: 0/4

16 hours ago, Nerdkingdan said:

I agree about the mortal wounds, eels are all we got for that, well that and a generic prayer.  What do you suggest as alternative list?   

Volturnos

Soulscryer

- Arcane Tome

3 x 3 Ishlaen Guard 

3 x 2 Allopex

Leviadon

- Reverberating Carapace

this gives some points to spare.  Not sure how to finish it off. 

I find it really hard to include large numbers of Morrsarr now. I had 3 sets painted and 3 more built but I'm now converting those back into Ishlaen. Every time I write a list and try to include Morrsarr, I end up having 1x3 with a Soulscryer and fail to find where I can include more. Though I must admit, I like having those 3 with a Soulscryer, people play differently knowing that's waiting for them off the board.

Of course, that combo can easily be replaced by the Celestant Prime for less points, and with his new 4+ Ward it's mighty tempting...

Can someone confirm my understading or explain otherwise:

Gotrek as an ally with Ionarch enclave 

- Can use tides of death

but

-Cannot fly (why people play him as flying?)

-Cannot be ignonred by shooters with Forgotten Nightmares (why everyone treats him as having the IDONETH keayword?)

I am probably missing something. I have seen several people playing with Gotrek as having the IDONETH keyword but I cannt find anything about it on the battletome

Thanks

1 hour ago, Planar said:

Can someone confirm my understading or explain otherwise:

Gotrek as an ally with Ionarch enclave 

- Can use tides of death

Correct

1 hour ago, Planar said:

but

-Cannot fly (why people play him as flying?)

They are probably using Levitate from the universal spell lore on him.

1 hour ago, Planar said:

-Cannot be ignonred by shooters with Forgotten Nightmares (why everyone treats him as having the IDONETH keayword?)

I am probably missing something. I have seen several people playing with Gotrek as having the IDONETH keyword but I cannt find anything about it on the battletome

Does not gain IDONETH keyword, cannot benefit from Forgotten Nightmares.

• Like 1

My club has an escalation league starting soon and I thought I'd take the opportunity to jump into AoS!

I originally planned on playing boat dwarves but the Fish Elves have since won me over.

The league starts at 750pts and I wanted to know if this list is okay to start with?

Dhom-hain Battle Regiment

Akhelian Hero w/ Polearm, Voidchill Darkness, Born of Agony and Amulet of Destiny

3 Ishlaen Guard

10 Reavers 

2 Allopexes w/ Net Launchers

750pts on the dot.

Any advice is welcome, I was planning on buying the Broken Realms box.

On 8/29/2021 at 11:49 AM, DocKeule said:

I need a lot more practise. That much is for sure. (Unfortunately it is not that easy getting AoS games in my area. 40k would not be a problem.) These where only my games 3-5 in 3.0. 

You could come over to Bremen, we are quite active over here :)

24 minutes ago, Yziel said:

My club has an escalation league starting soon and I thought I'd take the opportunity to jump into AoS!

I originally planned on playing boat dwarves but the Fish Elves have since won me over.

The league starts at 750pts and I wanted to know if this list is okay to start with?

Dhom-hain Battle Regiment

Akhelian Hero w/ Polearm, Voidchill Darkness, Born of Agony and Amulet of Destiny

3 Ishlaen Guard

10 Reavers 

2 Allopexes w/ Net Launchers

750pts on the dot.

Any advice is welcome, I was planning on buying the Broken Realms box.

Nice list but you need one more Battleline, don't you?

13 hours ago, DocKeule said:

That would be a little far for a causal game I'm afraid. I have played some guys from Bremen in tournaments in Oldenburg though.

Jup, we will see each other in Oldenburg in December If  Corona allows it :)

13 hours ago, Yziel said:

don't think so but please correct me if I'm confused

Sorry, you are right. As DocKeule assumed, I only thought about the limitations of the GHB