Deathlords- Manfred vs Nefrata

WillofNagash

I haven't played with either enough to know about the pros/cons of how each mortarch plays, but you could use the leftover points as a summoning pool without breaking your deathlords allegiance. 940 points gives you enough leftover to summon zombies and 920 points gives you enough to summon skeletons, which in my view are more useful.

Probably not what you're after but maybe another angle to consider, especially as you can get 10 skeletons for basically free with your mortarch if you buy the start collecting set.

Mannfred's a real trade-off now - if the enemy cannot shoot him, then his command ability is strong and he's still got a 6+ ward bubble. On the other hand, if you need to survive then the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon plus the 5+ ward bubble is the way to go.

Neferata is just about usable without making her general as her spell is handy. Command ability is also good if she is.

Unfortunately zombie dragon is not deathlords, and I'm trying to keep my model count as low as possible.

So far I'm leaning towards nefrata with 80 points of summoning, as her -1 to hit makes her harder to kill and takes mortal wounds away from certain units that get it on a 6 (ie. Crypt Flayers and Bloodletters)

Had the same doubt, went with Neferata because I liked the model and fluff more. Although I have only played with Neferata and not with Manfred I think they are similar on a powerlvl. The ability to receive a vampire lord when slaying an enemy hero + instant death for wounded foes are really powerful and not too situational. Of course you could also magnetize both lords, there should be some guides for that on this forum.

Regarding the Morghast I went for Archii also for appearance reasons. However I found out that the 2inch reach is in game better than on paper as you can screen them with battleline troops!

The ability to receive a vampire lord when slaying an enemy hero + instant death for wounded foes are really powerful and not too situational.

Would he get the Vampire Lord in matched play if he only has 80 points left? I always thought the Lord would count as reinforcement.

6 minutes ago, Mosgruaber said:

Would he get the Vampire Lord in matched play if he only has 80 points left? I always thought the Lord would count as reinforcement.

I was just thinking that, you need the points to set up any new units, so you wouldn't have enough left over with this list.

1 hour ago, inunn said:

I was just thinking that, you need the points to set up any new units, so you wouldn't have enough left over with this list.

Tbh, I have no idea. Is it in a faq perhaps? I've only played narrative with points to balance so summoning is allowed within the context of the story.

This is the exact ruling:

Mortarch of Blood: Each time Neferata slays an enemy Hero in the combat phase with either Akmet-har or Aken-seth, she transforms that hero into one of her thralls; you can set up a Vampire Lord within 6" of Neferata. This model is added to your army, but cannot attack in that combat phase.

8 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Tbh, I have no idea. Is it in a faq perhaps? I've only played narrative with points to balance so summoning is allowed within the context of the story.

It's in the General's Handbook page 108 under matched play. I suppose if you're not using matched play rules then you can do whatever you want. I think if I was playing a more narrative game then I'd probably be cool with it.

I prefer Neferata but will admit that is strongly because of her fluff. I also really like her command ability. Her blood kiss has been nerfed by the summoning restriction, which is a shame because again it was very fluffy.

I wouldn't do a Deathlords army though. Zombies are such useful core that there's currently no reason not to use 3 units of them that will merge for every death army and then take whatever else you want.

If Deathlords ever gets its own allegiance book then you might have a reason to take it.

Archived