Start Collecting a good starting point?

Warboss Gorbolg

Hello! I'm interested in starting Soulbright Gravelords but almost everything appears to be sold out. Although I'm not a highly competitive player, I'm slow on the hobby side and obviously don't want to be crushed every game. Currently, the Start Collecting appears to be the only option to start collecting right now.

Is the Start Collecting a good place to start a new force? It seems that many are down on the Black Knights. Is there a clean winner regarding Grave Guard configuration? I prefer the aesthetics of the weapon and shield option. Thanks.

It's kind of a mixed bag, & depends in part on your subfaction choice.  Black knights are kind of bad.  Grave guard are solid, especially with great weapons, but they're old models that don't look particularly good compared to the new kits.  And they aren't battleline unless the wight king is your general, and while the mounted version is ok as a mobile hero, they're arguably not as good as most other hero options.

Many soulblight armies are going to prefer skeletons, zombies & direwolves as battleline, bloodknights as a hammer unit, & necromancers, vamp lords, vengorians, dragon lords, & special characters as heroes.

Grabbing one box for 20 guard and the option of running a wight king is probably a decent purchase, but it isn't a start collecting that you can build a solid army from by buying multiples like FEC or Beastclaw Raiders.  It also, despite the name, probably isnt where I'd start for a new army.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Hello! I'm interested in starting Soulbright Gravelords but almost everything appears to be sold out. Although I'm not a highly competitive player, I'm slow on the hobby side and obviously don't want to be crushed every game. Currently, the Start Collecting appears to be the only option to start collecting right now.

Is the Start Collecting a good place to start a new force? It seems that many are down on the Black Knights. Is there a clean winner regarding Grave Guard configuration? I prefer the aesthetics of the weapon and shield option. Thanks.

I would personally not suggest the Start Collecting as an entry point. The reason being that it doesn't really have any staple units in it.

Grave Guard are good, but they are a build around unit that requires some support to be good. Both load outs are workable and have their own strengths. I wrote a break down here:

Sadly, the Wight King and Black Knights really don't seem super good. I think they are somewhat workable, but their use is kinda niche. They are definitely not units that can slot into every kind of Gravelords list. I thin they are workable in some specialized lists, but you won't want to put them into 90% of Gravelords armies.

The real workhorse units are probably Zombies, Direwolves and Skeletons. Those can go into basically all lists. For heroes, the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon is super solid. Necromancers and Vampire Lords are good, small support characters. Basically all named characters are good in their factions, many even outside of them.

• Thanks 1

I got a start collecting skeletons,fec and soulbligth together a box of blood knigths.

Then i used extrabits of graveguard to convert the useles(im sorry but to me they are useless even if many people dont agree) skeletons of the start collecting as graveguard and then you have a 2000 points list and any extra units to change the list

Oh also use arkhan on foot as necromancer 

Edited by Doko

On 6/25/2021 at 6:32 AM, Sutek said:

I bought it.  I may never build the Black Knights but as it's £60 and 20 Grave Guard bought separately are £55 I'm basically getting them and the Wight King for £5.

This is a good take, in that I would say this about start collecting:

1 - If you want the Grave Guard, it's a great box because they throw a Wight King and the Black Knights in almost for free. I wouldn't currently use either of those units in the game, but it's either great conversion parts or useful if GW rebalances them later.

2 - If you do not want the Grave Guard, it's trash tier for a box.

• Like 1