AoS3 - Lumineth Realm-lords Discussion

On 8/27/2021 at 10:55 PM, Aelfric said:

That's a shame.  That leaves Teclis or Mountain Spirits then I suppose for Monster options.  We may get more in the future, but that won't be any time soon.

You could always use the spell that makes a unit into a monster on something like eltharion and let him use monstrous rampage abilities

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 12:57 AM, Sonnenspeer said:

Don't forget the turtle 🐢

with protection of hysh maybe 🤔

The funny thing is that right now in LRL, both Aetherquartz and "Lightning Reactions" (double activation) work for the turtle. LRL's abilities are one of the very few that do not say their abilities are limited to Lumineth Realm-lords keyword units. It's a bit janky of course, and probably will get fixed once people start doing it, but if someone happens to own both right now, the turtle is probably the best Monster unit LRL can field : ). Turtle with AQ, All out Defense and a Mystic Shield : ). And Protection of Hysh/Teclis, Lifeswarm : ) 

Here is what both abilities say:

AQ

Each unit in a Lumineth Realmlords army starts the battle with 1 aetherquartz reserve. Once per phase, you can say that 1 unit will use its aetherquartz reserve to use 1 of the following aetherquartz reserve abilities. However, if you do so, subtract 1 from that unit’s Bravery characteristic for the rest of the battle.

Lightning Reactions

During the combat phase, when it is your turn to pick a unit to fight, you can pick 2 eligible units instead of 1. If you do so, each of those units can fight one after the other in the order of your choice.

But even without using those the turtle is pretty good in LRL I think. Some people have been using it already, and seems to work quite well. 

On 8/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, Aelfric said:

That's true.  Also remembered you can take a Mega-Gargant as well.  Not sure how viable either of them are though. The Mega-Gargant is a Hero as well, so could be worth a look.  I believe it's Bundo Whalebiter, a Kraken-eater.

Some people have used the Gargant with Teclis and worked well for them. You could give it a shot.

I've been using both Avalenor and the Spirit of the Mountain, and both are good. If you are not trying to build a super competitive list (and even then they might be good) you can use them for sure. 3+ Save in LRL is pretty awesome. You can add Mystic Shield, make them Etherial in the worst case (like when they fight something like Vhordrai), have Speed of Hysh, Lifeswarm. 

• Like 1

How likely are we to see a hit to the foxes (Sevireth and the unnamed ones) with a points or rules change? I'm still working on my first LRL army and I think I want to commit to either a Sevireth/fox list or a Teclis one, but I don't want to go all in on the foxes if they end up heavily nerfed in a couple of months (the time it'll take me to buy more, assemble and paint them). 

I don’t think anyone can tell you that. It’s a possibility, but they could be still good afterwards. If you look at successful list right now, by now means all of them are based on Wind Spirits. 

But for some factions, they are very difficult to counter, and prevent interactivity if played well. So GW might think they should change that. On the other hand, SoB aren’t fun either for several factions and they just buffed them in the new WD. 

The new battletomes could bring a lot of changes too which could have an effect. 

As long as you don’t find someone with insider information, it’s all just guesswork. 

Edited by LuminethMage

21 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

I don’t think anyone can tell you that. It’s a possibility, but they could be still good afterwards. If you look at successful list right now, by now means all of them are based on Wind Spirits. 

But for some factions, they are very difficult to counter, and prevent interactivity if played well. So GW might think they should change that. On the other hand, SoB aren’t fun either for several factions and they just buffed them in the new WD. 

The new battletomes could bring a lot of changes too which could have an effect. 

As long as you don’t find someone with insider information, it’s all just guesswork. 

Yeah I wasn't hoping for more than educated guesswork, so I'll take what I get. Thanks, I'll stick to my plan (foxes) for now then. 

13 hours ago, kollapse said:

Yeah I wasn't hoping for more than educated guesswork, so I'll take what I get. Thanks, I'll stick to my plan (foxes) for now then. 

Sorry, it's just really hard to say with GW. We didn't an FAQ with all the rest last week, so you could wait a few more days and see if there is still something coming for LRL. Then normally there is a Winter FAQ, but we don't know if there is one this year. It's just all 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Sorry, it's just really hard to say with GW. We didn't an FAQ with all the rest last week, so you could wait a few more days and see if there is still something coming for LRL. Then normally there is a Winter FAQ, but we don't know if there is one this year. It's just all 🤷‍♂️

Don't be sorry, I wasn't being facetious! I'm new to the game (and hobby) so I wasn't sure how much players know/can qualitatively guess stuff like this beforehand. I'll take it as it comes, and keep building on my fox army. 

• Like 1

Hi all. New Lumineth here. 

I use to play elves so I have Sylvaneth, idoneth and a huge cities old army (high and Silvan elves) and I managed to get a nice deal for a Lumineth pack (Teclis, loremaster, 10 wardens and 10 dawnriders). I know I Will need more wardens for battleline but I wanna Focus on units different from old elves (I like the mountain and the Fox a lot, specially the Fox)

Si, I havent read the books yet and Im not a competitive player as I like to collect and Paint armys but I would like a good army to play Next year so I have some questions:

Why some people say they are overpowerd? Is because of the magic that puts mortal wounds on 5s? Is because of Teclis? And is It cool to mix wind and mountain units? Is It cool to go teclis, mountain and Fox on the same list? Will we get start collecting Soon?

Thanks!!

7 hours ago, Hoseman said:

Hi all. New Lumineth here. 

I use to play elves so I have Sylvaneth, idoneth and a huge cities old army (high and Silvan elves) and I managed to get a nice deal for a Lumineth pack (Teclis, loremaster, 10 wardens and 10 dawnriders). I know I Will need more wardens for battleline but I wanna Focus on units different from old elves (I like the mountain and the Fox a lot, specially the Fox)

Si, I havent read the books yet and Im not a competitive player as I like to collect and Paint armys but I would like a good army to play Next year so I have some questions:

Why some people say they are overpowerd? Is because of the magic that puts mortal wounds on 5s? Is because of Teclis? And is It cool to mix wind and mountain units? Is It cool to go teclis, mountain and Fox on the same list? Will we get start collecting Soon?

Thanks!!

Why some people say they are overpowered: A lot of reasons. When the LRL came out, many of the reviewers said that they are OP (without having any experience themselves at that point), because their rules look powerful. Not many people actually could play with or against them when they came out because of Covid. So that stuck, even though they didn't win many tournaments or had a high win rate in 2nd. 

LRL also play somewhat differently to other armies, because they have a lot of control elements, and very good focused damage, and it looks like people were struggling a bit in local clubs. 

And then, most of their units have better stats than what comparable units especially of older books have (like Cities for example). They aren't as good as fully buffed units of those books, even when they are buffed, but are all good on their own, and really flexible (because of aetherquartz and spells), so you often have an answer to what your opponent does. 

LRL were probably a bit too cheap when they first came out. I think lately all the OP talk has ebbed a bit (funnily while their win rate has gone up), but LRL are a good army. Definitely in the upper tier, and are difficult to play against for some armies (which rely on smaller buff units for example, or have a lot of key abilities in spells, which Teclis can just deny). 

Units that are considered the most OP are usually the Sentinels, because they can basically shoot at anything within a 30" (or 36" if you include movement) range. You can't hide and the main damage output is via mortals, so most units have no or minimal defense against that. This is especially powerful when you can cast "Lambent Light" on a target, which lets you re-roll all hits. Then you can really fish for the 5+ MW. My guess is if GW ever thinks LRL are too strong, that's where changes would happen. If you start out with LRL and play locally, maybe stick to 20 Sentinels at first. 20 can still do good work, but aren't going to be super obnoxious for your opponent. If everyone has very good lists, then you can increase them.

Teclis was considered OP, but I think that largely has died down as a topic. He can be really hard for some armies, because of his cast denies and spells. But we hear much more about other monster heroes right now, because he is relatively easy to kill (in comparison to other god units). 

Fox lists can be OP against melee-centric lists. If you can play well, pure melee lists will have trouble doing anything against you. If you mostly play locally with friends/in a club, I'd advice against using many Foxes (one or two in a list should be ok).

We haven't seen many lists doing well that just mix Alarith and Hurakan, although theoretically that should be ok. You might be lacking MW though, depends what you are playing against locally. Most people mix one or the other with Vanari/Scinari. The problem with Alarith/Hurakan lists is, there is no subfaction which helps both. 

It's probably not feasible to have Teclis, Sevireth and Avalenor in one list. You could maybe just add your 30 Wardens battle line and that's it. Could be fun though. I haven't seen anyone doing that.

If you have Teclis and want to go fast to 2,000 while focusing on not Vanari, you could do something like this: (Ymetrica) Teclis, Stonemage, Avalenor, 3 x 5 Stoneguard, 20 Sentinels. You could also include your Dawnriders and Loreseeker of course, if you get some Warden (then don't play Ymetrica and lose the Stoneguards). Or use the Spirit of the Mountain instead of Avalenor and add Endless Spells. And you can do a similar thing with Hurakan, but maybe that's more complicated to play at first. Alarith are pretty straight forward for your opponent, as they are melee focused. 

One thing - Alarith are pretty expensive, so if costs are an issue, with what you have have it would be cheaper to first focus on Vanari to get to 2,000.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/10/2021 at 12:06 AM, Cullen rothery said:
Spoiler

Idea for a Helon list, anyone got any suggestions or tweaks they think it may need

Allegiance: Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Helon
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Hurakan Windmage (120)**
- General
- Command Trait: Skyrace Grand Champion
- Artefact: Metalith Dust
- Lore of the Winds: Transporting Vortex
Scinari Cathallar (145)**
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing
Lyrior Uthralle, Warden of Ymetrica (215)**
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light

Battleline
10 x Hurakan Windchargers (310)*
Units
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)**
- Spell1: Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)**
- Spell1: lore of hysh; Lambent light
1 x Hurakan Spirit of the Wind (265)**

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Warlord

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 106
Drops: 9

opponents list was

heroes 

combat slaanesh twin 

caster slaanesh demon twin (i forget the names)

contorted epitome (mirror demon)

infernal enrapturess (harp)

battle line 

5 x hellstriders

5 x hellstriders

5 x hellstriders

other

5 x slickblade seekers

5 x blissbarb seekers

4 x dread pagent

endless spell

slaanesh mirror spell 

played my 1st game with a variation of this list swapping lyrior for a standard lord regent and giving him the helon cmnd trait and artefact and flaming weapon and took the emerald life swarm endless spell, and was vs a mounted slaanesh list

slaanesh turn 1 - failed to cast any spells and charged both of the new demon twins the combat one went into my lord regent on my left flank along with the contorted epitome and the caster twin into my dawnriders on the right flank, followed by a charge by a unit of slickblade seekers into a unit of 10 windchargers, the windchargers unleashed hell, and used their aetherquartz for +1 to hit, and gained the bonus shot for being within 3" of the enemy and got 21 out of 31 shots through, unfortunately my opponent saved poorly and they did 19 wounds to the 20 wound unit of slickblades killing all bar one, after that he got hesitant stopping any other charges.

the combat twin then piled into the lord regent who after popping all out defence and his aetherquartz managed to survive the fight with 2 wounds remaining letting me kill off the contorted epitome with a series of lucky rolls keeping the regent alive and denying my oponent his battle tactic, i then finished off the remaining slickblade and lost three dawnriders to the magic twin, they had three objectives to my 1 and went into lumineth turn 1 with a score of 3-0.

Lumineth turn 1- battle tactic broken ranks (target middle unit of hellstriders)

for spells my regent got flaming weapon off and the dawnriders managed to cast speed of hysh onto the wind spirit, all other spells failed due to the forced reroll on succesful casts from the infernal enrapturess, 

movement-  the dawn riders retreated away from the caster twin  and went to safety and the spirit of the wind hopped over my opponents army ready to shoot the enrapturess in the back lines, the wind chargers went one unit per flank to take objectives and one up the middle to secure broken ranks, 

shooting phase - each unit of wind chargers targeted a different unit of hellstriders taking the left and middle units down to 1 model each and the unit on the right flank dropped to 2 models, spirit of the wind shot the infernal enrapturess off the table and then moved at the end of the shooting phase to take on the dread pagent protecting his back objective, 

charge phase - charged the lone hellstrider up the middle with the roos to fight the remaining hellstrider and snaked them out to take on the blissbarb seekers the right flank did a similar thing but hit the seekers on the other side of the unit trapping it between them, and the spirit of the wind charged as well.

combat - went first with the middle unit of roos killing the hellstrider for my battle tactic and dealing 7 wounds to the seekers using their aetherquarts to hit on 2's with all attacks, then fought with the lord regent and dealt 7 wounds to the combat slaaneshi twin with my lord regent but it wasnt enough to kill it and he fell in the returning combat, the roos on the right then killed off the remaining 2 hellstriders and another 9 wounds to the seekers dropping them to a single model, with the spirit finishing off the dread pagent, 

battleshock the remaining hellstrider and seeker ran leaving my opponent with both twins and nothing else

this ended the urn with me in control of all objectives with a score of 3-5 to the lumineth, I then won the roll for the double turn and my opponent conceded, 

end game conclusion - it was a fast paced game with alot going on very quickly, the dice gods were definately in my favour and were shunning my opponent, coupled with a lot of -1 rend shots from the roos into 5+ save models led to them dropping very quickly, it was definately a good tester with this list but will be interesting to see how it handles a more tanky army such as seraphon thunder lizard or an eel based idoneth list.

Edited by Cullen rothery
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Cullen rothery said:
Spoiler

played my 1st game with a variation of this list swapping lyrior for a standard lord regent and giving him the helon cmnd trait and artefact and flaming weapon and took the emerald life swarm endless spell, and was vs a mounted slaanesh list

slaanesh turn 1 - failed to cast any spells and charged both of the new demon twins the combat one went into my lord regent on my left flank along with the contorted epitome and the caster twin into my dawnriders on the right flank, followed by a charge by a unit of slickblade seekers into a unit of 10 windchargers, the windchargers unleashed hell, and used their aetherquartz for +1 to hit, and gained the bonus shot for being within 3" of the enemy and got 21 out of 31 shots through, unfortunately my opponent saved poorly and they did 19 wounds to the 20 wound unit of slickblades killing all bar one, after that he got hesitant stopping any other charges.

the combat twin then piled into the lord regent who after popping all out defence and his aetherquartz managed to survive the fight with 2 wounds remaining letting me kill off the contorted epitome with a series of lucky rolls keeping the regent alive and denying my oponent his battle tactic, i then finished off the remaining slickblade and lost three dawnriders to the magic twin, they had three objectives to my 1 and went into lumineth turn 1 with a score of 3-0.

Lumineth turn 1- battle tactic broken ranks (target middle unit of hellstriders)

for spells my regent got flaming weapon off and the dawnriders managed to cast speed of hysh onto the wind spirit, all other spells failed due to the forced reroll on succesful casts from the infernal enrapturess, 

movement-  the dawn riders retreated away from the caster twin  and went to safety and the spirit of the wind hopped over my opponents army ready to shoot the enrapturess in the back lines, the wind chargers went one unit per flank to take objectives and one up the middle to secure broken ranks, 

shooting phase - each unit of wind chargers targeted a different unit of hellstriders taking the left and middle units down to 1 model each and the unit on the right flank dropped to 2 models, spirit of the wind shot the infernal enrapturess off the table and then moved at the end of the shooting phase to take on the dread pagent protecting his back objective, 

charge phase - charged the lone hellstrider up the middle with the roos to fight the remaining hellstrider and snaked them out to take on the blissbarb seekers the right flank did a similar thing but hit the seekers on the other side of the unit trapping it between them, and the spirit of the wind charged as well.

combat - went first with the middle unit of roos killing the hellstrider for my battle tactic and dealing 7 wounds to the seekers using their aetherquarts to hit on 2's with all attacks, then fought with the lord regent and dealt 7 wounds to the combat slaaneshi twin with my lord regent but it wasnt enough to kill it and he fell in the returning combat, the roos on the right then killed off the remaining 2 hellstriders and another 9 wounds to the seekers dropping them to a single model, with the spirit finishing off the dread pagent, 

battleshock the remaining hellstrider and seeker ran leaving my opponent with both twins and nothing else

this ended the urn with me in control of all objectives with a score of 3-5 to the lumineth, I then won the roll for the double turn and my opponent conceded, 

end game conclusion - it was a fast paced game with alot going on very quickly, the dice gods were definately in my favour and were shunning my opponent, coupled with a lot of -1 rend shots from the roos into 5+ save models led to them dropping very quickly, it was definately a good tester with this list but will be interesting to see how it handles a more tanky army such as seraphon thunder lizard or an eel based idoneth list.

next game with this list arranged vs a mixed skaventide list on Wednesday curious how the roos will fare vs the rats

Heyho,

i would like to play a 1000pts little tournament in my vity next month.

What do you think about the following list? 

Need some Ideas and Help.

Thx a lot.

- Great Nation: Zaitrec
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Vanari Lord Regent (155)*
- General
- Command Trait: Fast Learner  
- Artefact: Gift of Celennar  
- Extra Spell: Total Eclipse
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh
Scinari Cathallar (145)*
- Lore of Hysh: Solar Flare

Battleline
10 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (145)*
- Lore of Hysh: Protection of Hysh
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (150)*
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 995 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 51
Drops: 1

42 minutes ago, GlunV said:

Heyho,

i would like to play a 1000pts little tournament in my vity next month.

What do you think about the following list? 

Need some Ideas and Help.

Thx a lot.

- Great Nation: Zaitrec
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Vanari Lord Regent (155)*
- General
- Command Trait: Fast Learner  
- Artefact: Gift of Celennar  
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh
Scinari Cathallar (145)*
- Lore of Hysh: Solar Flare

Battleline
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (150)*
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 995 / 1000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 2
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 51
Drops: 1

Looks good but I would possibly change a couple of the spells around, 

solar flare has a fairly short range and is better placed to be on something up front like the wardens or the regent who can ping it forward and try and drop it where it can effect their casters, be aware it does also give the minus 2 to casting onto your units too so if a cathallar is sitting in the middle or holding back and she casts it you could hit your own units with it limiting your casting/unbinding ability, and with its range it will always hit the wizard casting it as you pick a spot within 10" and it has a 12" bubble

ethereal blessing is a great spell to cast from the wardens, as against high rend armies you can just negate the rend entirely making it a flat 50/50 chance of saving it rather then a 2 rend model taking your save to a 6+ and then you need to roll a 5+ ward, and if the wardens cast on the regent he gains a 3+ unrendable save which is the same as eltharion and you could have one unit take that and the other take protection of hysh

with lambent light, lambent would be good on the dawnriders as you can send them forward to tag a unit with lambent light and keep your archers 30" back and give them something like speed of hysh to cast on wardens riders ect to support them, and shoot from safety and fish for the 5-6's for the mortals

end of the day its play what you know well, as you know your army best after playing a few games and know how it would play but my two pence would be to look at the spells in the list as there could be different spells that could work well in different situations

52 minutes ago, Cullen rothery said:

Looks good but I would possibly change a couple of the spells around, 

solar flare has a fairly short range and is better placed to be on something up front like the wardens or the regent who can ping it forward and try and drop it where it can effect their casters, be aware it does also give the minus 2 to casting onto your units too so if a cathallar is sitting in the middle or holding back and she casts it you could hit your own units with it limiting your casting/unbinding ability, and with its range it will always hit the wizard casting it as you pick a spot within 10" and it has a 12" bubble

ethereal blessing is a great spell to cast from the wardens, as against high rend armies you can just negate the rend entirely making it a flat 50/50 chance of saving it rather then a 2 rend model taking your save to a 6+ and then you need to roll a 5+ ward, and if the wardens cast on the regent he gains a 3+ unrendable save which is the same as eltharion and you could have one unit take that and the other take protection of hysh

with lambent light, lambent would be good on the dawnriders as you can send them forward to tag a unit with lambent light and keep your archers 30" back and give them something like speed of hysh to cast on wardens riders ect to support them, and shoot from safety and fish for the 5-6's for the mortals

end of the day its play what you know well, as you know your army best after playing a few games and know how it would play but my two pence would be to look at the spells in the list as there could be different spells that could work well in different situations

thx a lot for this feedback ❤️

i will play the most spells situational with the spellportal. thats why i choose these units for the spells.

do you know what i mean?

i have all the range, once per turn, but i habe the range for the biggest cast

do you think its a good idea now?

Edited by GlunV

1 hour ago, GlunV said:

thx a lot for this feedback ❤️

i will play the most spells situational with the spellportal. thats why i choose these units for the spells.

do you know what i mean?

i have all the range, once per turn, but i habe the range for the biggest cast

do you think its a good idea now?

no worries,

i know what you mean and its good but it relies a lot on the spellportal going off, if it gets unbound you are left with a lot of shorter ranged spells protection of hysh being wholly within 9" and lambent light being 18" on a unit sitting 30" back  which could be problematic.

with the wardens and protection of hysh you also have to think you can only cast it on one of the units once per turn so it may be worth changing one of them to ethereal blessing just to give you another option.

i do like the list though and wish you the best of luck :) 

On 9/3/2021 at 1:17 PM, Cullen rothery said:

no worries,

i know what you mean and its good but it relies a lot on the spellportal going off, if it gets unbound you are left with a lot of shorter ranged spells protection of hysh being wholly within 9" and lambent light being 18" on a unit sitting 30" back  which could be problematic.

with the wardens and protection of hysh you also have to think you can only cast it on one of the units once per turn so it may be worth changing one of them to ethereal blessing just to give you another option.

i do like the list though and wish you the best of luck :) 

thx a lot

with the new faq updates, the list is wasted 🙈

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently heard a bunch of people complaining about the five foxes list (Sevireth+4 Hurrakan Spirits). I get that the list is probably awful to play against because you can't hope to engage the foxes ever with a melee army, but how does it actually win?

From my perspective, I am looking at 1405 points of units that capture equivalent to 10 models and deal like 20 damage a turn at range before saves. Is there something I am missing here? Why can't you just ignore them and win on points?

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I have recently heard a bunch of people complaining about the five foxes list (Sevireth+4 Hurrakan Spirits). I get that the list is probably awful to play against because you can't hope to engage the foxes ever with a melee army, but how does it actually win?

From my perspective, I am looking at 1405 points of units that capture equivalent to 10 models and deal like 20 damage a turn at range before saves. Is there something I am missing here? Why can't you just ignore them and win on points?

They pin you. You can’t get more than 3 inches to them and then you can’t charge them as they move out of charge range after you movement phase and before your charge phase. When there’s enough of them, they can effectively trap your army. 

So Sevireth isn’t really a problem IMO. Even playing a melee army (Nighthaunt), I don’t mind playing against him. But when there’s enough foxes that my army can’t do anything, then that’s a problem. Can’t get to objectives or do battle tactics. 

(I play Nighthaunt and Lumineth). 

Hello fellow Lord-Regents! 

Been doing well with Lumineth since the beginning in my mildly competitive hometown meta, but as of 3.0 I find myself in need of strategizing more often (which I love). So after lurking for a long time, I've finally decided to step into the light and bring to bear some questions to practice your tactical acumen on. I'm quite the lengthy typer though, so I'll bold my questions and extrapolate on them below.

Feel free to answer any question or add some of your own!

a) Battle tactics: which ones do you find easy to score for us?
Especially in the first rounds I'm not always sure which ones to go for. Lumineth are very castle-y and most BT's force you to move out of your bubbles. Ironically, I find Ferocious Advance difficult, since I play a lot of Vanari. Breaking Shining Company just to run three units feels really bad. I'm curious what order you usually go for? Of course it depends on every battle, but usually you can kind of plan the order a little bit. 

B) What are our anvil units?
Personally I've never rated Stoneguard very highly (though I want some, since I love the models). Even though they appear to be our obvious anvil unit, I reckon the Cowtain would be better suited for that. Wardens used to do the trick for me, but in 3.0, I've noticed Wardens can't hold their ground against anything anymore. 4+ just doesn't cut it and if they unbind my Protection of Hysh, they're screwed. So what do you use as an anvil? 

C) What are our screen units?
With Wardens dropping like flies, I find myself in need of screens to protect them. Wardens are a big part of our damage output (I usually run 1 group of 10 and 1 of 20 Wardens). I usually use Dawnriders for that, since Hordes are not really a thing anymore (aside from some specific armies) and their value has kinda dropped. But when they screen, they die to everything. Hence I'm considering Stoneguard again. I've heard that even a squad of 5 is fine as a roadblock and might even survive against moderate damage. What's your experience been and what do you use to screen units? 

D) What are our hammer units? 
Lumineth don't really do any spike damage, so finding a hammer unit apart from Eltharion and possibly the literal hammer from the cows, might be a little optimistic. I still wonder though where you find your damage in the lists. With all the 4+ Wards on SCE heroes now and big heroes/monsters (Gargants, I'm looking at you) dominating the scene, we need burst damage more than ever, right? Anything you've found that works well apart from 30 Wardens or 60 Sentinels?

E) Heroes: which are auto-includes in your lists?
I've hardly ever run a list without bringing my Cathaller and lately I've been bringing my freshly painted Lord-Regent as well. The cathaller is still fine as a tool to absorb quartz or for the bravery immunity, but she dies more easily than before, now that the board is smaller and things can more easily reach her. I also find myself putting her in the Shrine, which makes her immobile and harder to bubblewrap. 
The Lord-Regent is great as a failsafe to guarantee the value of your Vanari troops and I usually make him the General nowadays, instead of the Cathaller. His 3+ save is great and his movement makes him very flexible. Which heroes do you tend to always bring? What role do they fulfill? 

F) Shrine Luminor: who's your Shrine Guardian?
I've only recently started using the Shrine and I've been struggling to maintain its value. Primarily, I'm unsure where to place it. The front line opens the Guardian up to a lot of charges, but too far back messes with its range. I actually thing our Bannerblade would be a great pick for the Shrine: he's not really a necessairy piece for the army. He's useful with the Arcane Tome and the totem keyword makes it easier to spend the free CP each turn. What do you put inside the Shrine usually?

G) Battalions: which ones do you usually take?
Battle-regiment seems great, but I long for extra CP and artefacts. Which ones do you like and what do you put in each battalion? 

Big post, haha! I'm very curious to see what knowledge you have to share. Maybe some of it is in time for my battle against the new SCE tomorrow. Have a fantastic weekend everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 9/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I played against four foxes and it was ridiculous.  Basically impossible to catch the foxes in melee.  While they pin you while getting shot by sentinels.  Not really a good time.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 4:52 PM, Neforon said:

Hello fellow Lord-Regents! 

Been doing well with Lumineth since the beginning in my mildly competitive hometown meta, but as of 3.0 I find myself in need of strategizing more often (which I love). So after lurking for a long time, I've finally decided to step into the light and bring to bear some questions to practice your tactical acumen on. I'm quite the lengthy typer though, so I'll bold my questions and extrapolate on them below

Exactly my questions as well :)

On 9/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, Sonnenspeer said:

Exactly my questions as well :)

Sadly there's not much going on in the Lumineth sub-forum. I guess the more experienced players temporarily moved on to different factions or were bullied off the forums by all the Sentinel- and Archmage hate.

• Sad 1

I haven't played in a while.... Last Warhammer was underworlds, and I played the savage orcs/bonesplitters?

I have started to paint my Lord regent, but it's hard...

IMG_20210926_172606.jpg.dcc0f4fc79a4950a84eaad4709c4e893.jpg

I've been excited to paint the stormcast in the dominion box, since they seem to have less details that are hard to reach! But a part of me want to finish my Lumineth first! 

But basically it's just three model above, five Dawnriders and the endless spells left!

• LOVE IT! 1

On 9/23/2021 at 5:33 AM, Maogrim said:

Sadly there's not much going on in the Lumineth sub-forum. I guess the more experienced players temporarily moved on to different factions or were bullied off the forums by all the Sentinel- and Archmage hate.

Taking a break from LRL rn.  Anyone finding their Wardens useless rn? Also, the amount of difficult to reach places and gold trim is killing my soul.