AoS3 - Lumineth Realm-lords Discussion

3 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Completely confused by the flaming weapons?  Only the champ is a wizard so only 1 of his weapons gets it.  1 bunch of lance attacks on 2 damage, not sure its worth it.

The entire unit has the wizard keyword and is only a wizard when it contains so many models, in that regard it should effect the whole unit as the unit is the caster, at least that's how I'm reading it

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cullen rothery said:

Have done 5 dawnriders and it wasn't fun, and have 10 wind chargers so far unpainted, may paint them and proxy the list to see how it works before commiting

The Roos have taken me quite a while, I have to say.  I think I need to take a break from painting Aelves after them and switch to something a little less exacting - like some of my Kruelboyz waiting to join the Waaagh.  Paint up some of them and then return to LRL with more motivation.  I need to change it up occasionally to keep it fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cullen rothery said:

The entire unit has the wizard keyword and is only a wizard when it contains so many models, in that regard it should effect the whole unit as the unit is the caster, at least that's how I'm reading it

Only the Steedmaster gets the WIZARD keyword (p120 Newest LRL book).  Even if the unit was a wizard 19.4 says you pick 1 model to be the caster, and then flaming weapons 27.5.3 says the caster's melee weapon.  So doesn't work on the unit I am afraid to say.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:54 AM, Maogrim said:

Quick question, friends. How important are the banners for Alarith Stone Guard? Would you always bring them, and, if so, how many?

If you bring 5 maybe not, a unit of 10 probably yes, but if you also have a Cathallar you might take the risk without it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 8:06 AM, Cullen rothery said:

Idea for a Helon list, anyone got any suggestions or tweaks they think it may need

Allegiance: Lumineth Realm Lords
- Great Nation: Helon
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Hurakan Windmage (120)**
- General
- Command Trait: Skyrace Grand Champion
- Artefact: Metalith Dust
- Lore of the Winds: Transporting Vortex
Scinari Cathallar (145)**
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing
Lyrior Uthralle, Warden of Ymetrica (215)**
- Lore of Hysh: Lambent Light

Battleline
10 x Hurakan Windchargers (310)*
Units
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)**
- Spell1: Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)**
- Spell1: Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
1 x Hurakan Spirit of the Wind (265)**

Endless Spells & Invocations
Chronomantic Cogs (45)
Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Warlord

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 106
Drops: 9

Is give the Cathallar either Total Eclipse or Protection of Hysh. And Probably the Dawnriders another Lambent Light instead of Flaming Weapon. For redundancy reasons and better coverage. An alternative would be to take the spell enhancement (from the Warlord Battalion) and give everyone two spells to chose from, especially because you also take Cogs. And you could think about upgrading the SofW to Sevireth and downgrading Lyrior to a LR (and lose Cogs if that adds up to more that 2,000). All has upsides, downsides of course.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:21 AM, Aelfric said:

The Roos have taken me quite a while, I have to say.  I think I need to take a break from painting Aelves after them and switch to something a little less exacting - like some of my Kruelboyz waiting to join the Waaagh.  Paint up some of them and then return to LRL with more motivation.  I need to change it up occasionally to keep it fun.

Been doing something similar and bouncing between ogors and lumineth, the gold trim on the lumineth is exhausting XD

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cullen rothery said:

Been doing something similar and bouncing between ogors and lumineth, the gold trim on the lumineth is exhausting XD

Yes, no more gold trim for a while, that'll be a relief.  When I return to Lumineth, the trim will have become a distant memory.

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, SugarWaterPurple said:

I am so glad I'm not alone burning out on the ridiculous amount of gold trim required for these elves.  What is even more cumbersome is the amount of areas each model has that is difficult to get to.  If I ever have another army I'm going to pick one with the least amount of detail as possible.

I was thinking about that while I was building some kits from the dominion box today. The stormcast models look pretty nice (not the old ones though), and I can see them being pretty easy to paint, or at least those with spears. I love the Lumineth, but Im looking forward to finish my last three bladelords, Lord regent and those last five Dawnriders! 

I think the only thing I could add to the army, would be Tyrion and perhaps some kind of dragon? I would like some kind of monster, but the mountain is not for me!

My gaming group are starting things up again with an escalation campaign, now covid restrictions are winding down. Details here: https://www.2d6.club/events/aos-escalation-campaign-2022/

The campaign will escalate to 1500pts, any thoughts on my list? I'm hoping to use Transporting Vortex to move my Eltharion or my Wardens where I need them, with Forward to Victory and potentially Bloodthirsty to help with the odds of a teleport + charge move.

- Great Nation: Zaitrec
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Hurakan Windmage (120)*
- General
- Command Trait: Fast Learner
- Artefact: Gift of Celennar
- Extra Spell: Transporting Vortex
- Lore of the Winds: Calming Zephyr
Scinari Cathallar (145)*
- Extra Spell: Lambent Light
- Lore of Hysh: Total Eclipse
The Light of Eltharion (250)*
Vanari Bannerblade (120)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Extra Spell: Protection of Hysh
- Lore of Hysh: Speed of Hysh

Battleline
20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (290)**
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (300)**
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)**

Units
5 x Vanari Bladelords (130)*

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Vanguard

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1495 / 1500
Reinforced Units: 2 / 3
Allies: 0 / 300
Wounds: 82
Drops: 8

Edited by John Edwards
Added Grand Strategy

On 8/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, SugarWaterPurple said:

I am so glad I'm not alone burning out on the ridiculous amount of gold trim required for these elves.  What is even more cumbersome is the amount of areas each model has that is difficult to get to.  If I ever have another army I'm going to pick one with the least amount of detail as possible.

Even if Lumineth are a challenge to paint, I think they are also really rewarding in that regard. I just love the moment when it all starts to come together and you realize that all the work you put into it is paying off. 

Maybe you want to try your hands on some Nighthaunt then? That's a pretty unique army that should be fsirly easy to paint while still looking great. :)

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Even if Lumineth are a challenge to paint, I think they are also really rewarding in that regard. I just love the moment when it all starts to come together and you realize that all the work you put into it is paying off. 

Maybe you want to try your hands on some Nighthaunt then? That's a pretty unique army that should be fsirly easy to paint while still looking great. :)

As someone who chose Lumineth as a second army after Nighthaunt… yes, this is true. 

• Like 3

On 8/20/2021 at 11:28 PM, John Edwards said:
My gaming group are starting things up again with an escalation campaign, now covid restrictions are winding down. Details here: https://www.2d6.club/events/aos-escalation-campaign-2022/

The campaign will escalate to 1500pts, any thoughts on my list? I'm hoping to use Transporting Vortex to move my Eltharion or my Wardens where I need them, with Forward to Victory and potentially Bloodthirsty to help with the odds of a teleport + charge move.

- Great Nation: Zaitrec
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
Hurakan Windmage (120)*
- General
- Command Trait: Fast Learner
- Artefact: Gift of Celennar
- Extra Spell: Transporting Vortex
- Lore of the Winds: Calming Zephyr
Scinari Cathallar (145)*
- Extra Spell: Lambent Light
- Lore of Hysh: Total Eclipse
The Light of Eltharion (250)*
Vanari Bannerblade (120)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Extra Spell: Protection of Hysh

Battleline
20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (290)**
- Lore of Hysh: Ethereal Blessing
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (300)**
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Vanari Dawnriders (140)**

Units
5 x Vanari Bladelords (130)*

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Vanguard

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1495 / 1500
Reinforced Units: 2 / 3
Allies: 0 / 300
Wounds: 82
Drops: 8

I'm not too experienced, so I might be missing something, but I think only the Sentinels unit OR the Dawnriders unit can be Battleline (not both), since there's only one unit of Wardens. However, since you have Scinari character in the Cathallar, the Bladelord unit can become Battleline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Juno said:

I'm not too experienced, so I might be missing something, but I think only the Sentinels unit OR the Dawnriders unit can be Battleline (not both), since there's only one unit of Wardens. However, since you have Scinari character in the Cathallar, the Bladelord unit can become Battleline.

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, looks like Warscroll builder messed that up. Bladelords, rather than Dawnriders, should be battleline.

8 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

Don't forget the turtle 🐢

with protection of hysh maybe 🤔

That's true.  Also remembered you can take a Mega-Gargant as well.  Not sure how viable either of them are though. The Mega-Gargant is a Hero as well, so could be worth a look.  I believe it's Bundo Whalebiter, a Kraken-eater.

Edited by Aelfric