AoS 3 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chumphammer

I still really like it. Eating 2 heroes? 6 1 wound models? 5 2 wound models? All well within averages, and all fairly decent. Especially with msu. A lot of cav units will likely be wiped before they have a chance to turn it off. That 6 man shootcast that’s being discussed in the rules thread? Let’s make it a 1 man unit. I think, even if you get 1 cast of it, it’ll make back its points and then some. 

3 hours ago, Fyrm said:

I still really like it. Eating 2 heroes? 6 1 wound models? 5 2 wound models? All well within averages, and all fairly decent. Especially with msu. A lot of cav units will likely be wiped before they have a chance to turn it off. That 6 man shootcast that’s being discussed in the rules thread? Let’s make it a 1 man unit. I think, even if you get 1 cast of it, it’ll make back its points and then some. 

How exactly does viper work? Never seen it in action and the warscroll confuses me. Does it remove only 1 model or can it remove a number of models from a unit.

23 minutes ago, Sivyre said:

How exactly does viper work? Never seen it in action and the warscroll confuses me. Does it remove only 1 model or can it remove a number of models from a unit.

You roll 3 dice. For each die that equals or exceeds the wounds of the unit a model in the unit is slain.

So if you roll a 2, a 4, and a 5, if the unit has 1 or 2 wounds you get 3 kills, 3 or 4 you get 2 kills, 5 you get 1 kill, and 6+ you get 0 kills. 

that’s how I understand it. 

3 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

I am also looking at the Khainite Pendent over Iron Circlet. 

Being able to cast 3 prayers could be real useful to get Avatar, Blessing and heart going (with the +1 from the Avatar)

You don't need to use a Prayer slot to summon the Heart of Fury.

It is explicitly written in our battletome FAQ designer's note that the Invocation of Khaine is not a Prayer. They might override it in AOS 3 battletome FAQ though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InSaint said:

You don't need to use a Prayer slot to summon the Heart of Fury.

It is explicitly written in our battletome FAQ designer's note that the Invocation of Khaine is not a Prayer. They might override it in AOS 3 battletome FAQ though.

It's in the core rules that priests get 1 prayer and 1 invocation now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fred1245 said:

It's in the core rules that priests get 1 prayer and 1 invocation now.

Because of this I ponder the idea of HQoBC with khainite pendent and another priest on foot to use crimson rejuvenation to help keep the cauldron in tip top shape from possible self harm in miss casts, as well as to help the +1 save bubble from bracketing sooner.

all the while the cauldron can freely use the new curse prayer which is looking quite good.

Edited by Sivyre

1 hour ago, Sivyre said:

Because of this I ponder the idea of HQoBC with khainite pendent and another priest on foot to use crimson rejuvenation to help keep the cauldron in tip top shape from possible self harm in miss casts, as well as to help the +1 save bubble from bracketing sooner.

all the while the cauldron can freely use the new curse prayer which is looking quite good.

Atm I have Hag on cauldron with blessing/Iron circlet (in Haggnar) and a foot SQ with Curse

Atm turn 1 I used the SQ to activate the avatar and then HQ is clear for blessing (as well as hand) 

Atm I have Hag on cauldron with blessing/Iron circlet (in Haggnar) and a foot SQ with Curse

Atm turn 1 I used the SQ to activate the avatar and then HQ is clear for blessing (as well as hand) 

Ever tried crimson rejuvenation to heal up the cauldron? 

FAQs are up.

Heart of fury scroll change, now on a 1-5 you get -1d but on a 6 you get -1d, +1A and vanishes at end of round

Avatar now +1 to chanting rolls not prayers, so gets +! to prayers and heart of fury

Unquenchable Fervour now -1 rend to your units and immune to battleshock

Thats the main stuff I noticed 

Some changes to artifacts (khainite pendent now only 2 cast prayers, not 3)

36 minutes ago, Eternalis said:

We just have a new BT, you'll wait a long time before seeing a new one.

I know, and this should scare you haha with a lot of things changing and the removal of battalions every army needs it’s new book, mind you some armies desperately need theirs before others

Edited by Sivyre

What are your thoughts on Khinerai?

I have 15 unbuilt models, and am trying to determine whether to build 10 life takers or 10  heartrenders and 5 of the other (or even 15 of one type)

I haven’t played in well over a year, and the release of 3.0 has me excited about my girls again.  I’ve got at least one box of everything available to DoK players, and decided I wanted to focus on the more fantastical units. Accordingly, the core of my army will be 10 melee sneks and 5 shooty sneks, and 10 doomfire warlocks.  Then 10  or 15 bird ladies, but I’m not sure what to build them as, and would appreciate any recommendations. 

Originally, I loved the heartrenders’ deepstriking rend bonus as a way to threaten my opponent’s artillery, but now I’m thinking that 10 life takers can get stuck in, with the possibility of a DoK hero using deep strike shenanigans to help support them (since we have a few options to “teleport” units anywhere outside of 9” of enemy ranges.) 

On that note, the heartrenders get their rend bonus “…if this unit was set up on the battlefield the same turn.” Would that include if they are taken off the board and set up outside of enemy range?

Edited by Ravenborn

4 hours ago, Ravenborn said:

On that note, the heartrenders get their rend bonus “…if this unit was set up on the battlefield the same turn.” Would that include if they are taken off the board and set up outside of enemy range?

Yes, Re-Deploy is setup. Works on any ability that says "remove and then you can set up 9" away... blabla" and not "move unit")

Khailebron teleport works for it. I believe it was even in FAQ.

Also Shadow Patrol battalion had it but it was bit clunky to play with cost of it.

I like heartrenderers more due tactical value. Drop - hit something and hopefully... move onto objective out of combat range.

Edited by Sapca
  • Thanks 1

Hey, I'm thinking of picking up DoK for the new edition.

I'm told competitive lists basically have 15+ bowsnakes and Morathi.

I was hoping for a couple of examples of what people think good lists look like for V3.

Any interesting unit choices, articles to read, etc?

Thankyou!

Edit:

What would you go with as a starting army?

Morathi, Start Collecting box, Witch Aelves and multiple boxes of Blood Sisters/Archers?

Edited by Obeisance

Rules :/

1)

Avatar of Khaine - This model cannot move / attack unless animated.

Alpha-Beast Pack battalion - After setup - before first battle round Move D6

If someone can send this to FAQ team. As far as I'm concerned... It was Animated so it was able to arrive to Battlefield in first place ;) (I'd rule no, but it sux)

2)

Morathi is 6w

Shadow Queen is 12w

They are two that need to be on field as one.  How do battalion rules affect that.

a) Can they enter as Commander (SQ, Leader wounds >10) and Sub-Commander (Morathi, leader wounds <10) // Or they can get in as either (I'd rule they are 2 and Morathi can be sub-commander)

b) Can they enter in 2 different battalions. (I'd rule yes, otherwise - Vanguard, Linebreaker and Battery(if we ever get artillery) get locked out for Morathi thats kinda a must at the moment)

3)

Since Morathi is General even if she's not.

a) Does "Kill General" victory thing (agenda?) work against her (I would say, Yes)

b) Does it "trigger" twice (kill a General Hag + Morathi). (I would say, No)

26 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

I'm told competitive lists basically have 15+ bowsnakes and Morathi.

I'd keep clear of that. It's so above everything else it's sure to get nerfed hard in my opinion. :)

Unless you don't care having 15 bowsnakes after nerf and money is not an issue for you. Then just go for it. More it gets abused, faster it will get fixed...

3 hours ago, Sapca said:

Rules :/

1)

Avatar of Khaine - This model cannot move / attack unless animated.

Alpha-Beast Pack battalion - After setup - before first battle round Move D6

If someone can send this to FAQ team. As far as I'm concerned... It was Animated so it was able to arrive to Battlefield in first place ;) (I'd rule no, but it sux)

2)

Morathi is 6w

Shadow Queen is 12w

They are two that need to be on field as one.  How do battalion rules affect that.

a) Can they enter as Commander (SQ, Leader wounds >10) and Sub-Commander (Morathi, leader wounds <10) // Or they can get in as either (I'd rule they are 2 and Morathi can be sub-commander)

b) Can they enter in 2 different battalions. (I'd rule yes, otherwise - Vanguard, Linebreaker and Battery(if we ever get artillery) get locked out for Morathi thats kinda a must at the moment)

3)

Since Morathi is General even if she's not.

a) Does "Kill General" victory thing (agenda?) work against her (I would say, Yes)

b) Does it "trigger" twice (kill a General Hag + Morathi). (I would say, No)

1: I would say yes, as its before the battle round so out of phase, so activated doesnt need to be a thing. Like the avatar got there in the first place, I am sure it can walk an extra D6 before it shuts down lol. 

Scroll rules work in phases, the free move is out of phase

2: They count as 2 models with their wound characteristic separate and can be in different batallions 

3: yes, she is a general

4: no. killing one general does it so no extra if you kill both (same as killing 2 monsters in a turn)

3 hours ago, Sapca said:

Unless you don't care having 15 bowsnakes after nerf and money is not an issue for you. Then just go for it. More it gets abused, faster it will get fixed...

Yeah I dont think its worth it. Its easy to counter now and I just dont think its worth it. 

10 snakes as a support, sure, but 15 with Morathi is a huge chunk of points for a gimmick 

Yeah I dont think its worth it. Its easy to counter now and I just dont think its worth it. 

10 snakes as a support, sure, but 15 with Morathi is a huge chunk of points for a gimmick 

I run 2 x 10 shooty snakes haha! Mind you I don’t use morathi. 

8 hours ago, Sapca said:

I'd keep clear of that. It's so above everything else it's sure to get nerfed hard in my opinion. :)

Even those builds aren't exactly lighting the competitive scene on fire after the new battletome. They're just OUR best option. Even leaning into them completely we still don't have anywhere near the raw ability of Lumineth, Seraphon, KO, or even Tzeentch thanks to pinks being insane again.

If they want to nerf that combo down to where witch aelves and Sisters of Slaughter are now...well I guess they'd just be figuring they sold as much DoK as they're going to.