3.0 Actual Games Conversation

Sleboda

1 hour ago, Iksdee said:

I want to ask if anyone has actually played a game on a 44x30 table with a 1000 points in this edition. With the increase in points i am wondering if this is any good. Does it scale well? I am planning on setting up a small table that can be used for warcry and smaller battles as my space is limited.  

Yes I have, first turn charges are completely possible so things start very fast. I don't think it works brilliantly in such a small space if I'm honest, I definitely think that for a proper game you're going to want to play on a larger board. We still had a good game and it was enjoyable, but even stuff that wasn't that fast got stuck in very early and there was little room for actual manoeuvre. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

Yes I have, first turn charges are completely possible so things start very fast. I don't think it works brilliantly in such a small space if I'm honest, I definitely think that for a proper game you're going to want to play on a larger board. We still had a good game and it was enjoyable, but even stuff that wasn't that fast got stuck in very early and there was little room for actual manoeuvre. 

I guess 750 point games are the way to go. Anyone else had similar experiences?

1 hour ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

I actually havenMt yet been able to try the new board sizes.

even on the events in my local area I participated, the old table sizes were used.

8 hours ago, Iksdee said:

I want to ask if anyone has actually played a game on a 44x30 table with a 1000 points in this edition. With the increase in points i am wondering if this is any good. Does it scale well? I am planning on setting up a small table that can be used for warcry and smaller battles as my space is limited.  

I have quite a few times. To be honest, it plays just fine, and a 1k game isn't going to go for 5 turns anyways, so it lets you jump into the action a bit faster and get to the fun stuff.  That being said, if you are playing a mobility/skirmish army (ex. lumineth foxes build), you are going to have a bad time because there is nowhere for you to really run to, and it much more favors armies that want to mash in the center of the board.  Turn 1 charges are the norm, and you have to plan for them to happen.

For the most part, as long as you are aware that the game is going to play a bit differently on the differently sized boards, it is fine.  Going back to that skirmish style build, that is going to be a lot more effective on a 44x60 board than a 44x30, as there is enough space and your opponents have few enough points that they can't really zone you out.  So that is drastically going to affect winrates and how good/bad your army feels on these smaller boards.  If you play it frequently, you are going to get an idea of how a game will play out, and then if you take that same army to go play someone else on a bigger board, your expectations are going to be off from the actual results.  This isn't a bad thing - it is just something that you are going to have to keep in mind.

Personally, I am good playing up to 1250 points on a 44x30 board.  Past that point value though and the board is really starting to feel too small and you want to increase the size.  I also much prefer that smaller board if you are playing with less than 1k points, as otherwise the board is going to feel too empty.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Sadly not mine but wanted to Parrot this awesome Battle Report and how much fun they had. :) 

“ICARION: 

Had a spectacularly close game of AOS 3.0 This past weekend 2000 pts Lumineth vs Slaanesh.

On the Lumineth Side I ran Zaitrec, with a Lord Regent, Windmage and Loreseeker in an Entourage Battalion for an extra artefact (giving my Lord Regent an arcane tomb for an extra spell cast). Additionally, I ran 1x 20 block of Wardens, 1x 10 and 1x 5 man unit of Bladelords, 2x 10 man units of Sentinels and a 5 man unit of both Dawnriders and Windcharger, finally I had a Spirit of the wind. Standing opposed to me was my friends Hedonites army including Synessa, a Lord of Pain, a Lord on Karkadrak, and a Contorted Epitome, supported by 2x 5 man units of Slickblade Seekers, 2x 5 man units of Hellstriders, and a 10 man unit of Twinsouls.

The mission was Apex Predators. My initial thoughts for the battle were pretty dreary, as Scoring of the three objective points can only be done by heroes, and compared to my opponent, I both had fewer and significantly less fighty/squishier heroes. My predication for the battle was that I could probably out damage my opponents list, but that as soon as he took an objective it would be nearly impossible for me to take it back from him.

All that being said, my strategy going into this game was to get my heroes onto objectives as quickly as possible to wrack up early points, and to delay my enemies heroes as well while trying to divide his army.

This plan mostly paid off. I was fortunate in that my opponent, winning deployment, choose to give me the first turn, hopping to let me move forward into charge range, and banking on an early double Turn to smash several of my key screens. Going first allowed my Lumineth army to get focus on the early objective game, running my lord regent and windmage onto one objective, screening them with running windchargers as well to hold the far left objective while snagging an early ferocious advance battle tactic. Unfortunately the only units who were eligible to run for that battle tactic were two of my heroes and the windchargers due to the rest of the army starting in shining company. This meant I couldn't get on all three objectives. To mitigate that, I moved my large block of wardens towards the middle of the board near the center objective to make it dangerous for my opponent to try and take it for himself. The last objective was taken by my Loreseeker deploying from his Lone agent special rule. My wind spirit moved up to charge and pin down his unit of Slickblades effectively shutting down movement towards the objective held by my Regent and Windmage, while my dawnraiders sortied out to help protect my exposed loreseeker.

The game would progress from this point moving back and forth, while I was able to score an early points lead. Turn 2 ended with me leading 10 to 3 points after holding 2 objectives and scoring my battle tactics, but turn three would see a rapid reversal.

The slaanesh player got the double turn heading into turn three, which allowed me to burn the center objective with seismic shift, further denying him that point, and cement a split of the battlefield into two distant halves. Thanks to the sacrifice of my Bladelords, and my Hurakan units pinning down his early game advance, I was able to effectively tie up half his army on one point, but all of that damage allowed him to bring on a summoned keeper of secrets. Eventually he took both points from me, my loreseeker and dawnriders were annihilated by a unit of seekers and my lord Regent died in heroic battle with his Lord on Karkadrak. I decided to sacrifice the Lord Regents half of my army to hold his faster units there while focusing my midfield units on retaking the far objective from his seekers, hellstriders and Synessa, but ended turn 3 failing to score any points.

By the end of turn 4 my focus on Synessa paid off as I was able to gain 1 VP from slaying It(a Monster) and pushing my opponent off that objective. However, I was unable to score that point as I failed to defeat Synessa in melee with a hero. This brought us to a close game 11 to 10 favoring Lumineth.

Turn 5 saw us both scramble to try and win, and we both had a great shot at it. If I could manage to hold my objective and run two units into his starting zone I could win the game 14 to 13. However, if he managed to slay my windmage with his unit of Seekers and a summoned chariot, He would win.

As it happened, the Slaanesh player failed to kill my windmage, but did manage to pin down one of my other units in melee, meaning the only way for me to score my battle tactic was to fly the windmage off of the objective and into his backfield.

In this manner, the game ended in a tie 13 to 13. A great showing for both Lumineth and Slaanesh.

Highlights for me, have to include both the Loreseeker and Windspirit making an ungodly number of 5+ ward saves keeping them alive and drawing my opponents focus. Further, the mobility of my windmage, and the charge and fall back shenanigans of my Wind Spirit definitely made both of them the MVPs for the game in my book. On the Slaanesh side, I am continually impressed by how great their summoning is, and synessa's spell casting is seriously scary. Being able to force mortal wounds on heroes rolling dice equal to their move characteristic is painful against lumineth, as 14 dice, make that spell terriffying.

All told, it was a fantastically close game, and my favorite game of 3rd edition yet!“

image.jpeg.9832099d4097d5ecb0773e26f46fbdb7.jpeg

oco1r1pi6ay71.jpg?width=3613&format=pjpg
y0rblp2j6ay71.jpg?width=4009&format=pjpg

j7wyz1nk6ay71.jpg?width=3600&format=pjpg
vvfp0y8m6ay71.jpg?width=3191&format=pjpg

zixin9hp6ay71.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

• Like 3