AoS 3 - how does your army fare?

Enoby

2 hours ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

Wouldn't Skyport: Barak-Thryng allow KO to field a Carmine Dragon or any other Duardin Monster?

If you really want and think Monsters are going to be the tipping point in AoS 3rd edition, you that option if I understand the rules correctly, or you could take Bundo Whalebiter too I believe.  I kinda think you might be overvaluing Monsters.  I think even without adding a Monster to a KO army their kite mastery leaves them doing okay.  I think they have a solid enough Battleline unit (I think they could use more Battleline units myself) with the Arkanaut Company that have seen some aid in the AoS 3 rules as well as tad less growing pains going to the new edition too.

I agree with KO, like most AoS factions, could use something to deter MWs as the aethergold standard of damage. I think MW is a simple, important and flavorful way to cover magic/supernatural/energy-type damage in AoS, but in a setting where that is so common, defense should also be decently common that every faction should probably have spell(s), abilities and/or units resistant to it discourage skewing into MW attacks.  Even as a LRL player, I would love KO to have something like an energized aethersuit that make the dawi inside pretty safe from MW and even had a chance to reflect it back.  I also think that KO could probably use native chaff and/or melee units to round them out. Of course, monsters are always fun. 

Until then, I don't think the sky duardin are going to greatly suffer under AoS 3rd ed rules.  I feel they will stay on the better side but within the fat middle of factions.  Honestly, is exactly where I like my factions to be: not suffering near insurmountable rules decencies but not  so powerful it's more list than player winning games.

Taking a bad monster is actually worse than no monster. The carmine dragon and bindi aren’t showing up. And I don’t think droths perform if you don’t have fyreslayer stuff for them. Especially not just one. But maybe. I am not the most interested in buying fyreslayer stuff to play ko of cours

and lrl get mortal wounds cause their spear and arrow tips are super sparkly😛

what does or does not get mortal wounds barely coincides with mystical stuff. Being really fat and charging into something is mortal wounds. Poison is mortal wounds (on hit no less). Sparkly arrow tips is almost the gold standard of mortal wounds. Dropping bombs is mortal wounds. Anything and everything can be a mortal wound. 

Edited by stratigo

Two Armies, Two Very Different Stories

I play two armies primarily - Tzeentch Arcanites and Skaven (mostly Skryre). The two armies are going in *very* different directions currently, and have *much* different outlooks for 3.0 from my view.

Tzeentch Arcanites - Now, by this I mean a mostly Tzaangor and Tzaangor-on-Disc focused army. I have come to the conclusion that someone either beat the design team soundly with an army comprised mostly of gors (esp. enlightened), or failing that stuffed a bunch of Tzaangor on discs into a sack and physically attacked someone on the design team with them. Ever since the BoC book came out, they've basically suffered a death by a thousand cuts with every new update or rules change, and come into this new edition with a whole bunch of points increases and rules reductions with little to show for it. Consider this - in the DoT allegiance, 10 Tzaangors are 195 points. That gets you 20 wounds on 32m bases with only 1" reach weapons, where only 4 in 10 have any Rend at all. Not only that, but the unit can't benefit from any bonuses to hit or wound (no All-Out Attack for you!), and have a 5+ save and only a 6+ ward on half the unit that you have to give up hitting on 3+ for those models to use (and they have to die first!) Some nice additional rules, but restriction piled on restriction makes them exceedingly cumbersome to use. That's the army in a nutshell, really, and you're paying through the nose for what benefits you do get. I'll basically be trying to retool this army as BoC to attempt to salvage something out of it, but it's not gonna feel good to do. So, really I'll be playing

Skaven - On the other hand, the rats look primed to be in a really good spot atm. Most points went up, but most were not too bad (my poor Stormfiends got skewered though :( ). Unleash hell on WLCs that are in a Grand Battery looks like it's gonna be *fun*, and there look to be a lot of options for viable army lists. It could still use a new book to get rid of some of the clunkiness that the army has (look at our battleline units for a good representative example), but all in all I'm looking forward to blowing myself up over and over again trying to get my enemies to ride the lightning. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bregor said:

Two Armies, Two Very Different Stories

I play two armies primarily - Tzeentch Arcanites and Skaven (mostly Skryre). The two armies are going in *very* different directions currently, and have *much* different outlooks for 3.0 from my view.

Tzeentch Arcanites - Now, by this I mean a mostly Tzaangor and Tzaangor-on-Disc focused army. I have come to the conclusion that someone either beat the design team soundly with an army comprised mostly of gors (esp. enlightened), or failing that stuffed a bunch of Tzaangor on discs into a sack and physically attacked someone on the design team with them. Ever since the BoC book came out, they've basically suffered a death by a thousand cuts with every new update or rules change, and come into this new edition with a whole bunch of points increases and rules reductions with little to show for it. Consider this - in the DoT allegiance, 10 Tzaangors are 195 points. That gets you 20 wounds on 32m bases with only 1" reach weapons, where only 4 in 10 have any Rend at all. Not only that, but the unit can't benefit from any bonuses to hit or wound (no All-Out Attack for you!), and have a 5+ save and only a 6+ ward on half the unit that you have to give up hitting on 3+ for those models to use (and they have to die first!) Some nice additional rules, but restriction piled on restriction makes them exceedingly cumbersome to use. That's the army in a nutshell, really, and you're paying through the nose for what benefits you do get. I'll basically be trying to retool this army as BoC to attempt to salvage something out of it, but it's not gonna feel good to do. So, really I'll be playing

Skaven - On the other hand, the rats look primed to be in a really good spot atm. Most points went up, but most were not too bad (my poor Stormfiends got skewered though :( ). Unleash hell on WLCs that are in a Grand Battery looks like it's gonna be *fun*, and there look to be a lot of options for viable army lists. It could still use a new book to get rid of some of the clunkiness that the army has (look at our battleline units for a good representative example), but all in all I'm looking forward to blowing myself up over and over again trying to get my enemies to ride the lightning. :)

Tzaangors on disc were the terror of AoS 1, so might be residual shock from that.

7 hours ago, stratigo said:

Tzaangors on disc were the terror of AoS 1, so might be residual shock from that.

aye.  You had the gammon tactic of masses of skyfires shooting, piling in, attacking and then whilst in combat shooting the unit behind the one they were attacking or something like that.

Either way, there was a rule on their warscroll which just made them one of those armies that at a tournament you just shook the guys hand, told him to take the win and go get yourself a burger and a drink and save yourself the pain of watching the shenanigans play out with you standing there like a spare tool.