AoS 3 - how does your army fare?

Enoby

Well every playable idoneth unit (eels,shark and turtle) got increased by around 15%, that is more than most, so i wouldnt call idoneth as winners

Seraphons got huge hit on almost everything. Skinks 25%, chamaleons cloose to 30% lol, even garbagge saurus increased by 17%, every big dino got nuked out too, only slan, skinks wizzards, normal carno, bastiladon, salamander, cold ones and estegadon got the usual 5-10% increase. So they got a huge hit for sure. And made any actual list useless. 

Only good notice is both can ally cities elves, or whole cities.

• Confused 3

I feel excited for every army I play (Fyreslayers, KO, OBR and the SCE I just started again due to Dominion release) 

Changes to CA and Monsters make me excited for my Vostarg, since I‘m fielding 2 Droths anyway which now got so much better, also no more need for LotL makes list building more interesting again, I am really eager to combo Vostarg + Runeson CA for +1 hit/wound in a bubble. Also smaller board will make that run + charge t1 much more impactful. 

I dont have to say much about KO, as every change so far made them better in my book. Also triumphs are a big! Being able to +1 hit/wound on the Ironclad with all out attack while still being able to get +1 save after unleashing hell sounds so strong. 

OBR are ofc in a weird spot, I think they will FAQ it sooner or later, but as for now I really think using mystic shield multiple times with Arkhan can be a big W, while also being more survivable due to heroic actions (bravery 10 helps with the heal). Also Arkhan shutting down CAs sounds interesting. 

If they get access to the generic CAs its just straight up getting brutal. 

But I‘m most excited for the new SCE, the models look fantastic and there is so much synergy just within the Dominion box. Cant wait to get my first games of 3.0 in! 

• Like 1

SCE - doesn't matter at the moment because I am waiting for a new book and warscroll rewrites, there is just so much in that book that feels bad. Particularly hoping that the Tauralon becomes a worthwhile investment.

Gitz - My 1k squig army feels dead with the new points. Have to drop at least 1 hero and Hoppers having a min unit size of 10 makes it feel like a very small army with no board presence. a big meh for this army.

Everything else (Nighthaunt, Sylvaneth, FEC, DoK) - lose a few bodies but are largely offset with the loss of battalions. Mostly haven't changed much about how I expect to play these armies and I don't expect their position within the meta to change much either.

After playing first game of AoS 3.0 Nighthaunt vs KO, can definitely say KO are going to be hurt by the smaller board size.

Turn priority is also a big issue still. Going second in turn 1 and then getting priority roll for a double turn is still massive even if you get 1 less CP. So double turn mechanics are not mitigated by the new CP mechanics.

My NH army of 1500 got a bit mashed but took down 3 gunhaulers, a unit of skywardens, nearly a frigate and ran away with the objectives and all with some iffy rolls. CAs are better for KOs for sure, but unleash hell isn't that good for most KO units. (Last Word is much better). And triumphs are ok. Still, they weren't hit so hard by points so KO are still looking good.

With Rally CA and All out Attack, NH are in a good spot. Heroic recovery every turn makes your heroes regen around 1-2 wounds per turn on average which is really annoying for your opponent.

OP? Not entirely, but NH are stronger than before judging by this game. KO are no slouches either.

• Like 2

I really am trying not be negative. But I play Khorne mortals and think I’ll be in for some significant rebuilding. Not being able to add more than +/-  1 or not having havinggn more than 1 effect on a 6 will require quite some thinking. Blood warriors going to units of 10 min is quite painful. Priests got hit with the nerf stick so I need to look at aternative solutions. The situation with mixing in slaves is awkward due to points and no battleline. Gorepilgrims has gone. The list goes on...

I honestly don’t know if I have the energy to rebuild the army I have played almost every week since AoS 1 launched until lockdown happened. I want to make it work so maybe waiting  a few weeks for the faqs and then planning a list may be best, what ever I come up with now is likely to not be legal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gecko587 said:

My fire slayers will of taken a big hit. Lord of Lodge battalion made them super strong and now I can't stack +1 armour save as I used to be able to make my beserkers a 2+ save with a 4+ feel no pain. 

To be fair...this was quiet OP, especially considering your Hero just holds up the banner a little higher above his low hanging head. If it at least involved a dice roll before it wouldn't have been that crazy

Edited by Xil
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 6/20/2021 at 11:19 PM, Xil said:

To be fair...this was quiet OP, especially considering your Hero just holds up the banner a little higher above his low hanging head. If it at least involved a dice roll before it wouldn't have been that crazy

Yeah you are right it was OP but i feel there toughness was the only thing that made them good without that they will drop hugely because they are expensive models that dont do huge damage. the best save you will be able to get for the entire army will be a 4+

On 6/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, Praecautus said:

I really am trying not be negative. But I play Khorne mortals and think I’ll be in for some significant rebuilding. Not being able to add more than +/-  1 or not having havinggn more than 1 effect on a 6 will require quite some thinking. Blood warriors going to units of 10 min is quite painful. Priests got hit with the nerf stick so I need to look at aternative solutions. The situation with mixing in slaves is awkward due to points and no battleline. Gorepilgrims has gone. The list goes on...

I honestly don’t know if I have the energy to rebuild the army I have played almost every week since AoS 1 launched until lockdown happened. I want to make it work so maybe waiting  a few weeks for the faqs and then planning a list may be best, what ever I come up with now is likely to not be legal.

Think of BloodWarriors as tarpits now who can just take the punishment while dishing back MW on 6+ to saves, but even if they can't save it on a 6+ they get to pilein and attack when they die (peel them off from the ends to maintain coherency).  I just bought a bunch of them on a whim cuz they were cheap, and Flesh Hounds were expensive.  But we'll get a new tome someday soon anyways I think.

Are we sure Slaughterpriests got nerfed?  I haven't seen a rule that says Priests can only pray 1 prayer.  I've seen a rule that says they 'can chant 1 less prayer' if they decide to dispell an Endless Spell or uninvoke an invocation.  Also since they're calling out invocations as separate from prayers, they can probably pray at least 1 and invoke a Judgement of Khorne.  Not ready to say they're garbage now.

My Beasts of Khorne are more sad, as they are just beasts now, who already sucked.  Sons of Behemat and Ogors (except Gluttons) are pretty happy though.  Not sure about Spiderfang as I just bought them too, didn't get the tome as I expect that'll be sometime soon also, plus they're not even all assembled; at least they have some monsters.

I wish Khorgoraths were Monsters again; they used to be.  Gotta ally in some Mindstealer Sphiranxes, that'll be what makes my Khorne army tick.  All the feeble mortals striking first with their rubber weapons.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Are we sure Slaughterpriests got nerfed?  I haven't seen a rule that says Priests can only pray 1 prayer.  I've seen a rule that says they 'can chant 1 less prayer' if they decide to dispell an Endless Spell or uninvoke an invocation.  Also since they're calling out invocations as separate from prayers, they can probably pray at least 1 and invoke a Judgement of Khorne.  Not ready to say they're garbage now.

Core rules section 20.0.  "Each friendly Priest can chant 1 prayer that they know in your hero phase."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Think of BloodWarriors as tarpits now who can just take the punishment while dishing back MW on 6+ to saves, but even if they can't save it on a 6+ they get to pilein and attack when they die (peel them off from the ends to maintain coherency).  I just bought a bunch of them on a whim cuz they were cheap, and Flesh Hounds were expensive.  But we'll get a new tome someday soon anyways I think.

My Beasts of Khorne are more sad, as they are just beasts now, who already sucked.  Sons of Behemat and Ogors (except Gluttons) are pretty happy though.  Not sure about Spiderfang as I just bought them too, didn't get the tome as I expect that'll be sometime soon also, plus they're not even all assembled; at least they have some monsters.

I wish Khorgoraths were Monsters again; they used to be.  Gotta ally in some Mindstealer Sphiranxes, that'll be what makes my Khorne army tick.  All the feeble mortals striking first with their rubber weapons.

For bloodwarriors that’s how I play them as a sort of landmine unit pumping out the MW on a save and then get a tithe for them. However taking them in units of 10 minimum is a big investment of points now for a throwaway unit.

Priests are a lot more expensive and can do fewer prayers plus the invocations can be dispelled now. 

Having to select which effects go off after a trigger removes a number of our tricks.

I spent weeks painting a lovely unit of 15 Khorne chaos warriors and now they have to be 10,20 or 30. That sticks in my craw a bit. Either 5 don’t get used or I have to buy a box for 5 more.

The chaos kitty has moved onto my radar also, but I am holding off buying one for now until the faq comes along.

I guess I am really just trying to come to terms that the army I crafted over 5 years is going to change. And unlike chaos I fear change 😀 I fully appreciate there are armies in an even worse state - beasts of chaos looking at you.

There are solutions and I will no doubt build a new list. But without the faq to know what is really intended it is hard to muster much enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

Yep,as allways gw sold us how new priest are great and have been buffed next edittion!!!!

But for my fyreslayers before i casted two prayers and with no danger,now i cast one prayer and get myself mw with 1 

So my priest are 50% worse.........and moreover now our endless spells(invocations) can dissapear each turn BUT now also can be dispelled.....

All have been huge nerfs for priests

Except for Plague Priests.  They're the same.  Except hordes won't be as big to plague as much.  

I'm expecting the Mindstealer cats to have the same rules but not be a Monster anymore.  Hope that slips under the nerf radar.....seems like they want all Monsters to be Behemoths.  Shaggoth is a Monster too but not Behemoth.  Fomoroid Crusher, possibly a couple other things but can't remember what.

For those of you who don’t venture into the Slaanesh part of the forum; I’ll add my dissenting from the norm voice. 

Hedonites didn’t fair too bad. There are certainly some points that make you question why, but for the most part the army is as playable as it was, and I feel third edition adds a lot to the game. Summoning feels great, and MSU is the name of the game for more factions than ever so that’s awesome for Depravity generation. 

Our Twinsouls have that sweet sweet 2” melee range, which as we all know with the new coherency is a huge boon. Worth likely a ton. And the new caps make a 3+ rerollable save about as tough as you can get and Painbringers bring that quite easily.

Our daemonic options did suffer some strange points costs, but if you’re willing to play into Mortals and use the daemons via summoning then the changes don’t hurt. Likewise the changes to Endless Spells are quite pronounced and some of ours are really good. 

Slaangors remain hot garbage, and a curious decision. But that’s about the norm for them at this point. If there ever was a joke unit it’s them. 

I know some Slaanesh players won’t like me saying it, but we aren’t near as bad as some people want to say we are. The army will require some finesse, and there are some obvious issues, but after 10 games with the new rules I’ve found them to be better than they were in second with this book (and I’m not alone in this) and really a decent army overall. Hopefully an eventual point change can bring a few more of our units into a better light, but I haven’t seen anything in my playtesting that makes me think the army is unplayable or what not. 

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

I can agree with you,our slanesh player was also ranting since day one with these changes.

But in aos2 he played as 20 games and only won 1 game,now in 3.0 he have played 4 games and won 3 of those.

I mean all these games were with hedonites.

Its true in 2.0 they were bad and is true dont make sense big nerfs in points to a bad army,but seems the rules of 3.0 and being the best sumoning army o the game have been a big buff for hedonites and even with all the points ners they are so much more competitive rigth now that they were at 2.0

In other 100% counter situation, fyreslayers were very good at aos2.0 and got very small nerfs in points in 3.0 but every new rule have been done againts them and they are almost umplayables in 3.0 and one of the worst armys even if they were of the armys with less points hykes

Edited by Doko
  • Like 1

Slaanesh are 100% about summoning, which is just such a weird feel for an army to have: it's not about what you start on the table with, that's mostly just hugely overpriced cannon fodder for what actually wins you games. 

It also makes them basically auto-lose the new GHB mission that prohibits deep strike and stops summons from doing anything on the turn they come in. But that's a problem with that mission more than with Slaanesh in particular. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 2

you lot are all being defeatist whiners and I don't believe a word of it.

I've read the faction focus articles and everyone is a winner - the article says so.

Today is Khorne, and it's only right that it's the last one as it's made us all angry at being the last one.

I predict we will have a shout out for all out attack, all out defence and unleash hell.

Our thirsters can bawl and shout and exercise stompyness with extra "ness".

See.. winning.

There will be absolutely no downsides at all ever whatsoever as this is the best edition yet - so bestest-est that in two weeks time you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.  Now stop your whining and keep buying, come one, new edition, new army and all that.  Just remember... all out attack, all out defence, unleash hell... repeat after me now...

Keep rolling, keep spending and carry on. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

18 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

you lot are all being defeatist whiners and I don't believe a word of it.

I've read the faction focus articles and everyone is a winner - the article says so.

Today is Khorne, and it's only right that it's the last one as it's made us all angry at being the last one.

I predict we will have a shout out for all out attack, all out defence and unleash hell.

Our thirsters can bawl and shout and exercise stompyness with extra "ness".

See.. winning.

There will be absolutely no downsides at all ever whatsoever as this is the best edition yet - so bestest-est that in two weeks time you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.  Now stop your whining and keep buying, come one, new edition, new army and all that.  Just remember... all out attack, all out defence, unleash hell... repeat after me now...

Keep rolling, keep spending and carry on. 👍

Well, you were wrong, the Khorne reviewer stayed in-character and had apparently skipped class (or head-butted the memo) on how to mention all the new cool Command Abilities and focused on the real Khorne classics with hot name like RAGE OF KHORNE!!! LEAVE NON ALIVE!! and BLOOD STAMPEDE!!

• Haha 1

having spent time reading and wathcing games, my estimation for KO have gone down. 

The edition really is pushing monster heroes and mortal wounds, one KO don't have and the other KO have to really skew into (in ways I don't find super fun) 

3 hours ago, stratigo said:

having spent time reading and wathcing games, my estimation for KO have gone down. 

The edition really is pushing monster heroes and mortal wounds, one KO don't have and the other KO have to really skew into (in ways I don't find super fun) 

Wouldn't Skyport: Barak-Thryng allow KO to field a Carmine Dragon or any other Duardin Monster?

If you really want and think Monsters are going to be the tipping point in AoS 3rd edition, you that option if I understand the rules correctly, or you could take Bundo Whalebiter too I believe.  I kinda think you might be overvaluing Monsters.  I think even without adding a Monster to a KO army their kite mastery leaves them doing okay.  I think they have a solid enough Battleline unit (I think they could use more Battleline units myself) with the Arkanaut Company that have seen some aid in the AoS 3 rules as well as tad less growing pains going to the new edition too.

I agree with KO, like most AoS factions, could use something to deter MWs as the aethergold standard of damage. I think MW is a simple, important and flavorful way to cover magic/supernatural/energy-type damage in AoS, but in a setting where that is so common, defense should also be decently common that every faction should probably have spell(s), abilities and/or units resistant to it discourage skewing into MW attacks.  Even as a LRL player, I would love KO to have something like an energized aethersuit that make the dawi inside pretty safe from MW and even had a chance to reflect it back.  I also think that KO could probably use native chaff and/or melee units to round them out. Of course, monsters are always fun. 

Until then, I don't think the sky duardin are going to greatly suffer under AoS 3rd ed rules.  I feel they will stay on the better side but within the fat middle of factions.  Honestly, is exactly where I like my factions to be: not suffering near insurmountable rules decencies but not  so powerful it's more list than player winning games.

• Like 1