Cities of Sigmar in AoS 3

Accoring to the latest Warhammer Weekly, the Steam Tank Commander is a hidden gem in Cities.

Pros:

• Non-Monster Hero
  • 3+ save, 12 wounds
  • Easy access to +1 to hit
  • Self heal, good bravery for heroic recovery
  • Decently fast and can buff their own speed
  • Mortals on the charge
  • Cheap at 230 points

Cons:

• Random movement
  • Low damage
  • Brackets pretty hard

The idea is to use the Tank Commander mostly to charge stuff and tie it up in combat. With All-Out Defense and Finest Hour, the Tank Commander can easily become a very hard target and may force the opponent to retreat or be stuck in combat.

As someone who runs a lot of Steam Tanks, that matches with my experience. When thinking about how to make Steam Tanks better in the past, I was of the opinion that a buff to any one thing between their offense, defense or mobility would make them good. Well, now 3.0 is here, save stacking is a thing and boards are smaller. So maybe it is time to give the Tank Commander a look even outside of casual armies.

Regular Steam Tanks are still Meme Tanks, though.

Stormdrake guard look very aggressively pointed, as well. It appears that most of their power is on the warscroll, so they seem like pretty ideal inclusions in a Cities list that wants a fast cavalry unit. I do see them going up in points eventually, though.

Everyone's favourite support unit, the Knight-Azyros no longer gives reroll 1s. He now provides +1 to hit. I have not yet seen the new warscroll, so I am not sure if Cities units even still benefit or if it's only Stormcast now.

I agree. I think fulminators are also quite promising in living cities. They were already borderline playable and the increase in damage I think helps them a lot. They are hard to deliver but living city totally fixes that. Neither really needs the stormcast battletome abilities.

12 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Stormdrake guard look very aggressively pointed, as well. It appears that most of their power is on the warscroll, so they seem like pretty ideal inclusions in a Cities list that wants a fast cavalry unit. I do see them going up in points eventually, though.

Everyone's favourite support unit, the Knight-Azyros no longer gives reroll 1s. He now provides +1 to hit. I have not yet seen the new warscroll, so I am not sure if Cities units even still benefit or if it's only Stormcast now.

Only for stormcast units,so he is dead as ally of order armys or cos

5 hours ago, Doko said:

Only for stormcast units,so he is dead as ally of order armys or cos

Well, RIP Azyros in that case.

To be honest, the writing was on the wall for that one. They have been locking down buffs to be subfaction-specific for a while. I guess the lesson is to only include beatsticks from as coalition units in the future. Or I guess you could bring in a few units specifically for the Azyros to buff, but that really does not seem worth it.

1 hour ago, TheGrimKnight said:

I havent been able to test must out yet, has anyone used drakespawn as a highly mobile tanky unit? they have a base 3+ save and with save stacking they could be hard to move. also in HallowHeart they have protection against spells. their damage is pretty lackluster sadly though. 

any thoughts on them? 

I've used them.  They are utterly terrible.

The problem with the Drakespawn Knights is that they hit like a moist towellete.  Pillow fisted just doesn't say enough about how little damage they do.  This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though, if you could get them into position well enough that they could keep an opponent off of objectives.  But they are sooooo slow.  A 10" move is generally going to be enough to get them ONTO an objective, but the fact of the matter is that as long as they are only counting as 5 models, they are only going to hold that objective if they can maneuver in such a way to completely prevent an opponent from being in the zone... which they don't have enough movement to actually accomplish.

Literally the only thing that the knights have going for them is the fact that they are rocking a 3+ save, and if you force your opponent to actually have to go through that 3+ save, they aren't devoting those resources to a unit that actually matters.  At the same time though, it isn't like you really are going to want to spend resources buffing their saves, because the only tools that we have to do so are all out defense and mystic shield.  I mean, I suppose you might use all out defense if nothing else is in combat, but that is basically the only case where you would.

In general, if I was considering running Drakespawn knights, I would look at them long and hard, and ask myself if they were really worth it over dwarven ironbreakers, or Eternal Guard.  Ironbreakers give you the same 3+ save, but do so with 10 models for objective holding, and can run to be about as fast as drakespawn can without running.  Eternal guard are rocking a 4+ save, but they get +1 to saves, hits, and wounds if they stand still, and also have a 6" move over the ironbreakers 4".  On top of that, you can bring a ghur battlemage to give +2" run/charge, which is going to make a significantly greater impact on the infantry than the knights.

Overall, drakespawn knights just have too low of a starting point that they have to work from to make them worth it.

3 hours ago, readercolin said:

I've used them.  They are utterly terrible.

The problem with the Drakespawn Knights is that they hit like a moist towellete.  Pillow fisted just doesn't say enough about how little damage they do.  This wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though, if you could get them into position well enough that they could keep an opponent off of objectives.  But they are sooooo slow.  A 10" move is generally going to be enough to get them ONTO an objective, but the fact of the matter is that as long as they are only counting as 5 models, they are only going to hold that objective if they can maneuver in such a way to completely prevent an opponent from being in the zone... which they don't have enough movement to actually accomplish.

Literally the only thing that the knights have going for them is the fact that they are rocking a 3+ save, and if you force your opponent to actually have to go through that 3+ save, they aren't devoting those resources to a unit that actually matters.  At the same time though, it isn't like you really are going to want to spend resources buffing their saves, because the only tools that we have to do so are all out defense and mystic shield.  I mean, I suppose you might use all out defense if nothing else is in combat, but that is basically the only case where you would.

In general, if I was considering running Drakespawn knights, I would look at them long and hard, and ask myself if they were really worth it over dwarven ironbreakers, or Eternal Guard.  Ironbreakers give you the same 3+ save, but do so with 10 models for objective holding, and can run to be about as fast as drakespawn can without running.  Eternal guard are rocking a 4+ save, but they get +1 to saves, hits, and wounds if they stand still, and also have a 6" move over the ironbreakers 4".  On top of that, you can bring a ghur battlemage to give +2" run/charge, which is going to make a significantly greater impact on the infantry than the knights.

Overall, drakespawn knights just have too low of a starting point that they have to work from to make them worth it.

thanks! I really just been trying to find the best way to use my bretonnia knights. I made some "grail knights" to use as realm lords Dawnriders allies. 

13 minutes ago, TheGrimKnight said:

thanks! I really just been trying to find the best way to use my bretonnia knights. I made some "grail knights" to use as realm lords Dawnriders allies. 

Depending upon how you feel about legends, there are a few options.

First of course is running them as Brettonia.  Yes, the legends rules for brettonia suck, but they do exist as an option.

Second, and keeping with Legends is to run them as Dragon Blades.  Note, the latest change to the legends added dragon blades (and a number of other options as well) to the Cities of Sigmar.

Third is to run them as Dark Riders.  Dark riders aren't great... but they are armored knights with lances.  You may want to glue a crossbow onto them to represent the fact that dark riders come with crossbows though.

Fourth is to run them as allied Dawnriders (which by the way is what I'm running my old Dragon Blades as when I don't feel like pulling out legends rules).

Fifth is to take and put them on slightly larger bases, maybe with a gryph hound or two and call them "Demigryph Knights".  This is probably going to be the most representative option for their actual power/usefulness.

You can of course also put them on the table and call them Drakespawn Knights and just test them out that way.  Just... be prepared to be VERY disappointed.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Yes these guys have me excited. I think they will be a nice addition to some cities.

Still working through the combos but I'm going to prob just run the hero plus a unit of 2 to start. That will come in at 540 points.. So not so large a point cost. 

In hallowheart I don't see why there 4+ ignore spell won't combo with hallowheart 5+ (for equivalent of 2+ ignore spell)... Which is pretty sweet.

Living cities they will combo very well with the LC command for an additional move on top of there once per game move. So potential first turn (or later but only once per game) were looking at move 12", shoot (with hero ability) in HERO phase, move again 12 then shoot plus then use LC ability to then move again. That would be 36' total move plus a 3' charge for potential 40' threat range. Not really sure what they'll do once they get there but it's got potential for taking out a back line important thing.

The hero also has - 3 rend on a non unique. So that's going to be great for spear of the hunt. - 4 rend and strike first, if it's timed right we're getting all 3 dragons from both units hitting first in your own combat phase (only if your charge first of course)

First turn tempest eye looking at 2 15' moves and 2+ save.

I'm sure there's plenty other good combos as well.

So I'm looking forward to them.

They look fun at least.

Edited by Thugmullet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thugmullet said:

Yes these guys have me excited. I think they will be a nice addition to some cities.

Still working through the combos but I'm going to prob just run the hero plus a unit of 2 to start. That will come in at 540 points.. So not so large a point cost. 

In hallowheart I don't see why there 4+ ignore spell won't combo with hallowheart 5+ (for equivalent of 2+ ignore spell)... Which is pretty sweet.

Living cities they will combo very well with the LC command for an additional move on top of there once per game move. So potential first turn (or later but only once per game) were looking at move 12", shoot (with hero ability) in HERO phase, move again 12 then shoot plus then use LC ability to then move again. That would be 36' total move plus a 3' charge for potential 40' threat range. Not really sure what they'll do once they get there but it's got potential for taking out a back line important thing.

The hero also has - 3 rend on a non unique. So that's going to be great for spear of the hunt. - 4 rend and strike first, if it's timed right we're getting all 3 dragons from both units hitting first in your own combat phase (only if your charge first of course)

First turn tempest eye looking at 2 15' moves and 2+ save.

I'm sure there's plenty other good combos as well.

So I'm looking forward to them.

They look fun at least.

Looking at old units too. The fact that the lord celestant on Stardrake now has a proper shooting attack makes for a nice big survivable piece (with amulet of destiny) to throw at your enemy (24" move) and tie up a lot of stuff and give -1 to cast  to their whole army -after having provided +1 to your key soulscream bridge

Top Stormcast units that I would consider bringing in the Cities:

Krondys.  First off, he's a big dragon.  Second off, he is a 2 cast wizard... now the only one we have available to any city.  Third, he starts with a +3 to his cast (+4 in the cities for an endless spell), so if anyone REALLY wants an endless spell to go off, he's your guy.  Is he worth 600 points?  Ehhh... probably not - but I'm certainly going to consider bringing him anyways.

Celestant Prime.  Guess what - he can still come down from the sky, giving you a solid missile that can put out the damage and be immune from sniping or Shenanagins like Belakor.

Bastian.  If you need some insurance against big monsters, this is your guy.  In the cities, he can issue a free command to himself once per turn, but you would primarily be bringing him because he is a 3+/4+ save that gives you 4 attacks a 3+/2+/-2/4 damage.  Basically, he is going to wade into enemy troops and blast them to ashes, and then provided that he survives (which is likely) he's going to heal back up to full.  He probably isn't worth it in the extreme hero-hammer meta, but if the meta evolves he is likely something you want to consider bringing.

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake.  This guy is a massive anvil you can put on the battlefield (though you likely want to give him the Amulet of Destiny), and he gives your wizards +1 to cast if they are near him.  Combine that with a Hurricanum, and you can be casting endless spells at a +3 to cast (or just sacrifice someone with a sorceress and get that endless spell off on a +4).  And that is ignoring Hallowheart Shenanagins.  Additionally, he now has a shooting attack, meaning he can take advantage of the Living City abilities for move + shoot + move again, and he can throw mortal wounds back at people if someone trys attacking him in melee.

Knight-Incantor.  Hey, look, its the old staple, and its back.  Once again, you aren't bringing this guy because he's great.  You are bringing him because he rocks a 3+ save over all the cities wizards 5+, and he gets a once-per-game auto-unbind.  Basically, if I have spare points and I'm wanting to cast the city specific spell, I usually take a peak to see if I can bring this guy over a generic battlemage/sorceress.

Lord-Ordinator.  It looks like he is keeping his +1 to hit for war machines, so if you are bringing war machines, you still want to consider bringing him.  There aren't a lot of cases where I am looking to do that in the cities because the infantry shooting tends to be so much better than the artillery shooting, and you can get a similar effect from a Celestial Hurricanum, but it is still something for you to consider.

Lord-Imperitant.  If you are running an army that is CP heavy, bringing one of these guys for a free CP usage each turn can be big.  Yes, it is only going to be the generic CP's for the most part, but sometimes the city's command ability can be worth using it on as well.  But getting a free all out attack/all out defense, or a free redeploy or unleash hell can be a big deal.

Knight-Judicator.  Basically, you would look to bring this guy due to his 3 damage rend -3 attacks at range, and look to combine that with a few other things for trying to snipe key support units.  Bring a pair of them and stick them next to a hurricanum, and you can reliably threaten most support hero's in the game - especially if you also have a few squads of handgunners with long rifles too.

Knight-Draconis.  He has a breath weapon attack (which is a ranged attack for living cities purposes), a 12 wound model rocking a 3+ save, a monster, and he comes with rend -3 attacks.  Overall damage wise, he is a bit worse than bringing a dreadlord on black dragon, but he has a base 3+ (instead of a 4+ with +1 from shield), he doesn't bracket, and the fact that all of his attacks are rend -3 or rend -2 means he actually does a little bit better than the black dragon against high saves.

Vanguard Raptors (with longstrikes).  The fact that Vanguard Raptors now get 2 shots each always makes them a good bit better in a cities army than they were before, and these guys are now pretty decent at sniping key hero's.  Stick them next to a Hurricanum and give them all out attack, and they can basically ignore look out sir to snipe 2 key support hero's a turn, or just make someone very unhappy when they charge your screen.

Evocators on Dracolines.  These are one of the fastest, hardest hitting units in both the cities and the stormcast.  However, with only a 4+ save, and the fact that they don't reinforce that well, and the fact that they only have rend -1, they tend to be better for just obliterating chaff/screens and trying to hit weak points in the opponents line rather than trying to take down the big hero/monster that is threatening you.  Also, you get an extra unbind if you bring them too, though they can only cast empower on themselves in a cities list.

Vanguard-Pallidors.  These guys got a huge buff in that they can now teleport.  3 models, count as 6 on objectives, and then can teleport and shoot after doing so to help force your opponents to have to respect the threat to their back lines.  This is a force that you are more likely to bring to support more of a castle style force, as they are the threat that forces your opponents to spread out more and not just try to bring everything down on your castle.

Dracothian Guard.  Concussors, Desolators, and Fulminators are all powerful units (we are continuing to forget that Tempestors exist though).  But all of them are 10" move, rock a 3+ save, and are doing rend-2 damage on all of their weapons, alongside a breath weapon for Living City purposes.  Fulminators in particular are incredible on the charge, but in exchange are the worst when not charging.  Concussors have some potential mortal wound output (I think - that part got cut off from the picture in the GMG battletome review which is the best that I have to work with at the moment), while desolators are looking to just throw out as many attacks as possible.

Stormdrake Guard.  Stormdrakes are the big new thing that everyone is talking about, but the relevant thing for the cities is that they operate pretty well on their own, are monsters, and are rocking 9 wounds each at a 3+ save. They work well either as an independent unit that will force significant investment from your opponent to remove, or as a massive brick wall screening unit that protects your guns behind them (with unleash hell to make sure that your opponents regret charging).  Finally, if you are looking to alpha strike in hard, they can move 24" on turn 1 (30" in tempest eye), which is nearly going to guarantee you a turn 1 charge.

----------

You will note that most of what I am suggesting as Coalition units are either hero's, or fast movers.  Being honest, Cities does better at bodies on the board than stormcast does, and they also generally do shooting better than stormcast does.  Where stormcast shine though is in bringing fast moving durable units, durable support hero's, and combat monsters that are better than what the cities can field on their own.  Not every city is going to want all of these units, nor will every build want to bring all of them.

Personally, I'm probably going to continue including the Knight-Incantor in many of my armies that don't have much other stormcast presence.  I am also likely to be looking to include Fulminators in my Living Cities lists, and probably testing a unit of 4 Stormdrake Guard out in a few different lists.  I am also thinking that now may be the time to pick up a Celestant Prime, as he is looking a lot better as a beatstick with his new warscroll than with his last one.  Oh, and I'm likely to toss Krondys in a few lists, whether he is good or not.

• Like 1

To be sincere i am not a big fan of how every stormcast unit got a huge nerf in points and deleted almost every hability......but i know for sure that for first time in 4 years i gonna play for first time my palladors(they never had any use before) 

A unit fast,and that can teleport every turn is all that my castle dwarf army need

• Like 1

Here is a list I came up with for an upcoming 3 round tournament. I initially had a Tempest Eye army but I was wiped out by round 2 during a practice game so back to the drawing board and came up with this Hallowheart list. I was originally had a luminark as well but removed it and added Yndrasta instead since there is so much monster proliferation. We will have three rounds with battle plans Vice, Feral Foray, and Survival of the Fittest.

My plan would roughly be cast all my endless spells turn one, move Guard backed by Demi’s forward and spend rounds 1 and 2 trying to keep enemy back (shackles) and do as much damage as possible with magical offense. Round three rely on greatswords, arcanum, and yndrasta. We are going off the old Stormcast Battletome (not the Sept 18 release)

Thoughts ? Should I keep the luminark instead? Or add battlemage on griffon (the 5+ make sit so undesirable). Add the amulet destiny to the Lord Arcanum? Thanks!

City: Hallowheart

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery

- Triumphs: Inspired

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Tauralon (300)**

- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Warding Brand

- Lore of Whitefire: Sear Wounds

Yndrasta the Celestial Spear (300)*

Battlemage (115)*

- General

- Command Trait: Warden of the Flame

- Artefact: Whitefire Tome - All Spells

- Mortal Realm: Ghur

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)*

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

- Hallowheart 2nd Spell: Ignite Weapons

- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

UNITS

10 x Freeguild Handgunners (105)*

- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

10 x Freeguild Handgunners (105)***

20 x Freeguild Guard (170)***

- Swords and Shields

3 x Demigryph Knights (175)**

- Lance and Sword

5 x Freeguild Outriders (110)**

10 x Freeguild Greatswords (150)***

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Chronomantic Cogs (45)

Soulsnare Shackles (65)

CORE BATTALIONS

*Warlord

**Command Entourage - Strategists

***Hunters of the Heartlands

ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS

Artefact

@TheGrimKnight Another thing you can consider for Bretonnia is using them as Soulblight Gravelords. A lot of the units match up pretty well with equivalents in SBGL, you just run into trouble with the big monsters which will probably require conversions.

Just to give a second opinion though I don't quite agree with @readercolin re: Drakespawn Knights. He's superficially correct -- they don't do much damage and their speed isn't quite what you'd hope. But I think he is overstating their uselessness by quite a margin. I've had them used against me pretty effectively.

In small units they are an excellent screen. They are cheap, will actually hold against anything but a pretty big hammer, and are fast enough to get out of the way of your own hammer units if you need to get through your own screen. 5 cav bases also provide the most area coverage for a screen.

For objective play you want them in a unit of 10 more likely. You will probably have 2-3 that won't get to fight, but you aren't counting on them for offense anyway.

As far as speed goes, 10" is a huge difference when compared to a 4-6" move like you get from infantry. In most battleplans you can easily get all 10 models onto a center line objective on turn 1 without running. With an average run roll you can get them passed the midline, and with a lucky run roll or At the Double you can actually block most if not all of the objective.

This brings me to what I think is probably the best home for Drakespawn Knights: Tempest Eye. In Tempest Eye the extra +3" of move means that you can reliably block objectives on turn 1 with these guys and they get a 2+ save on the first turn which will really delay your opponent in shifting them.

On top of that, they actually become pretty punchy with Aura of Glory. Drakespawn Knights have a pretty pathetic .0664 WOR (weighted offense rating, a measure of offensive efficiency that can compare damage across rend types) when charging. Add in Aura of Glory and it goes up to a very respectable .1374.

Aura of Glory has been very hit or miss though as the only reliable caster in Tempest Eye is the Sorceress, who isn't fast enough to keep up. Enter Krondys, who not only can cast Aura of Glory reliably but is a beast in combat himself and has a huge base to project that aura.

I think a Drakespawn Krondys list in Tempest Eye could have some decent legs, at the very least as a solid tier 2 list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

@TheGrimKnight Another thing you can consider for Bretonnia is using them as Soulblight Gravelords. A lot of the units match up pretty well with equivalents in SBGL, you just run into trouble with the big monsters which will probably require conversions.

Just to give a second opinion though I don't quite agree with @readercolin re: Drakespawn Knights. He's superficially correct -- they don't do much damage and their speed isn't quite what you'd hope. But I think he is overstating their uselessness by quite a margin. I've had them used against me pretty effectively.

In small units they are an excellent screen. They are cheap, will actually hold against anything but a pretty big hammer, and are fast enough to get out of the way of your own hammer units if you need to get through your own screen. 5 cav bases also provide the most area coverage for a screen.

For objective play you want them in a unit of 10 more likely. You will probably have 2-3 that won't get to fight, but you aren't counting on them for offense anyway.

As far as speed goes, 10" is a huge difference when compared to a 4-6" move like you get from infantry. In most battleplans you can easily get all 10 models onto a center line objective on turn 1 without running. With an average run roll you can get them passed the midline, and with a lucky run roll or At the Double you can actually block most if not all of the objective.

This brings me to what I think is probably the best home for Drakespawn Knights: Tempest Eye. In Tempest Eye the extra +3" of move means that you can reliably block objectives on turn 1 with these guys and they get a 2+ save on the first turn which will really delay your opponent in shifting them.

On top of that, they actually become pretty punchy with Aura of Glory. Drakespawn Knights have a pretty pathetic .0664 WOR (weighted offense rating, a measure of offensive efficiency that can compare damage across rend types) when charging. Add in Aura of Glory and it goes up to a very respectable .1374.

Aura of Glory has been very hit or miss though as the only reliable caster in Tempest Eye is the Sorceress, who isn't fast enough to keep up. Enter Krondys, who not only can cast Aura of Glory reliably but is a beast in combat himself and has a huge base to project that aura.

I think a Drakespawn Krondys list in Tempest Eye could have some decent legs, at the very least as a solid tier 2 list.

thanks for the write up! I'd probably like to stay order/cos for the army, I was originally making them the mercenary Boood knights till that got taken away. I've normally stuck to hallowheart for the little extra magical resistance but I may try tempest eye. I'm unsure how many points krondys is to take a chunk out of the list. but I'll definitely look into him, I liked his model anyways. I was going to use 10 dawnriders as allies and then 10 drakespawn knights. as you say, they are decent priced heavy armored units. 

thanks again!

53 minutes ago, TheGrimKnight said:

thanks for the write up! I'd probably like to stay order/cos for the army, I was originally making them the mercenary Boood knights till that got taken away. I've normally stuck to hallowheart for the little extra magical resistance but I may try tempest eye. I'm unsure how many points krondys is to take a chunk out of the list. but I'll definitely look into him, I liked his model anyways. I was going to use 10 dawnriders as allies and then 10 drakespawn knights. as you say, they are decent priced heavy armored units. 

thanks again!

I don't think Cities can take Lumineth as allies. You can use 1 in 4 Lumineth units in Settler's Gain but that's it.

EDIT: Krondys is 600, so he is a huge chunk of the list

Edited by swarmofseals

2 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I don't think Cities can take Lumineth as allies. You can use 1 in 4 Lumineth units in Settler's Gain but that's it.

EDIT: Krondys is 600, so he is a huge chunk of the list

ah I always assumed you could as the list builder on the their site has them as allies. I may have also miss read it as well. 

8 hours ago, Arathorn185 said:

So guys dumb questions: can allies be adjuncts & retinues?

If they gain the CoS keyword, they should be able to be, yeah. There are a few good candidates, but considering you can't ward the wounds away now, there's not much advantage to bringing really beefy units as your bodyguards, you'd rather have like 20 mooks instead