Cities of Sigmar in AoS 3

5 hours ago, Arathorn185 said:

Hey guys simple question does CoS have ang way to ger a move 8+ Character character with is legal for retinues and adjuncts? 

Adjunct yes, but u are looking at coalition units. Problem is the general is going to be flimsy.

17 hours ago, Arathorn185 said:

Hey guys simple question does CoS have ang way to ger a move 8+ Character character with is legal for retinues and adjuncts? 

Do you need them to keep up with something specific? Because 8+ is any decent run roll, so keeping up with aura and such is fine on foot.

Sadly, if I understand your question, Knight Azyros WOULD fit, but he can't be your general. If you wanted a fast ADJUNCT, he works, but not as a general in CoS as coalition units can no longer be generals.

You COULD create an Anvil of Apotheosis character for your specific need. So, depending on what ya need it for and who ya play with...

Here's a casual list I am considering:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Tempest's Eye
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Steam Tank with Commander (230)*
- General
- Command Trait: Hawk-eyed
- Artefact: Zephyrite Banner
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)**
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Eagles: Celestial Visions
Freeguild General (100)*
- Artefact: Seerstone Amulet
Doralia ven Denst (115)**
Cogsmith (70)**
Knight-Azyros (110)*

Battleline
5 x Freeguild Outriders (110)
5 x Freeguild Outriders (110)
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (210)***
- Reinforced x 1
Steam Tank (195)***
Steam Tank (195)***

Units
1 x Gyrocopters (75)*
3 x Aetherwings (45)
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (155)**

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127
Drops: 14

Just so we're clear: This list makes a few questionable commitments right at the start.

• Must bring three Steam Tanks
  • Mostly shooting
  • Bring Doralia ven Denst
  • Double Warlord high drops

Of those, going double Warlord battalion and high drops is probably the most legit (although Doralia is not bad, it's more that the list could probably be better without her). Fitting in 6 heroes is a cost, but it gives you access to 3 artefacts and 2 extra command points. High drops mean deployment advantage, possibly a huge advantage over opponents who shoot for 4 drops or lower. Just deploy some Aetherwings, a Gyrocopter and the Gunhauler first, they can go wherever they need to be anyway.

General:

Steam Tank Commander is the general for Steam Tank battleline. Should make it nearly impossible not to get that Hold the Line grand strategy, but is not necessary. Making the Freeguild General army general is another option to consider, because it would turn on the adjutant and honoured retinue rules. I prefer the Hawk Eyed +1 to wound bubble on the Tank Commander, though.

Heroes:

The Steam Tank commander gets Hawk Eyed trait for a +1 to wound bubble on a sturdy hero with a big base. He takes the Zephyrite Banner for a reroll charges aura, because Steam Tanks are only worth their points if they get the charge. Might be better to give him the Amulet of Destiny and just reroll charges with command points as needed, though.

The Hurricanum gets the Arcane Tome for another cast, making it a 2 cast +1 to cast wizard, which is not bad. Celestial Visions is the only marginally useful spell: Aura of Glory gives extra melee attacks, which this list does not have a good target for, and Strike of Eagles is another mortal wound bomb spell, of which the Hurricanum has two on it's warscroll already.

The Freeguild General gets the Seerstone for a chance at an extra command point. This could possibly be the Patrician's Helm to make the Handgunners battleshock immune, but let's be honest if they get charged down they probably die anyway.

Doralia ven Denst is there because she is mai waifu.

Knight Azyros gives reroll 1s to hit, which is great in a ranged list like this.

The Cogsmith helps satisfy the requirements for double Warlord battalions and can run behind steam tanks to repair them every turn. He might even make it with the Tempest's Eye +1 to run!

Troops:

Two Steam Tanks to charge stuff and block off the board with their big chariot bases. They are even fairly sturdy with their base 3+ save and 12 wounds. Plus, they cool.

Outriders to give the list some mobile battleline. 10 of them actually deal decent damage.

Gunhauler to jump around and be annoying.

Gyrocopter to help with hordes, otherwise be a mobile unit that can help steal points.

The Handgunners are actually the most combo-y unit in this list. The plan is to run them in the middle of the board and threaten Unleash Hell turn 1. With Tempest's Eye, they get a guaranteed 11" move turn 1 if they run, plus run and shoot from Rapid Redeploy. With all the buff pieces around, they might well Unleash Hell at 3+ (rerolling 1s)/2+/-1/1, possibly without paying a command point.

Aetherwings are 45 points and it was either that or an Endless Spell (Burning Head, Cogs or Pallisade). I'd love another Gyrocopter instead.

---

Overall, this is not a tournament list, but I think it should play decently in casual games. Overall damage is low, but everything is ranged and you will be able to direct your damage where you need it. The list is faster and sturdier than it looks, due to Tempest's Eye bonuses. There should be plenty command points to go around for some tricksy plays with Redeploy and Unleash Hell.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I had a casual play against nurgle. I know nurgle is slow and has not shooting, maybe for that I won Major Víctory on turn 3.

My list:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Hallowheart

Leaders
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (315)
Black Ark Fleetmaster (70)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
Nomad Prince (110)
- General
Sorceress (95)

Battleline
10 x Eternal Guard (125)
10 x Eternal Guard (125)
10 x Eternal Guard (125)
30 x Sisters of the Watch (540)
- Reinforced x 2
2x 5 Wild Riders (480)

Units
2x 10 Shadow Warriors (480)

Total: 1985 / 2000

I like elfs and I wanted to try a cool elf army. Sisters are brutal, simple as that, they dont move and were 61 attaks, with the +1hit of Nomad Prince and +1wound because of Magic... Really really huge... He had glottkin and charged to eternal guard and I could unleash hell (31 attaks) to almost kill It. 

Then I made a list of stormcast with dominion box and some ranged judicators. I feel cities has a lot lot of troops compared to other armys... I dont know I felt a bit overpowerd with that list, I know os because of nurgle army but those 30 sisters just had to sit there and the shadow Warriors on cover, I just losed 10 eternal guard and 3 Riders.

Maybe with other armys is a very static list. I can switch 10 sisters and 10 eternal for a dresdlord on dragon to play a bit more frontline

So uh… whos gonna be the first ****** to stick an amulet on a phoenix and just shove it in the opponents face?

(for those who don’t know new faq specifies between ward save and dpr. So you can now stack everything but ward saves and the annointed save is not a ward. So a phoenix can have a 3+ 5+ 4+ save. If its near a luminark 3+ 5+ 4+ 6+. Just gotta find a way to get re rolling saves for peak obnoxious

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Belathor said:

So uh… whos gonna be the first ****** to stick an amulet on a phoenix and just shove it in the opponents face?

(for those who don’t know new faq specifies between ward save and dpr. So you can now stack everything but ward saves and the annointed save is not a ward. So a phoenix can have a 3+ 5+ 4+ save. If its near a luminark 3+ 5+ 4+ 6+. Just gotta find a way to get re rolling saves for peak obnoxious

Well I'm going to do it,  if only because every one else who can will two. Having said that, I don't think this is good for the game as a whole.

Edited by Thugmullet

5 hours ago, Belathor said:

In a casual game I wouldn't do it because I think it's a mistake. In a tournament I can't see a TO allowing this. More generally I don't think the rule will survive for long.

Even taking it seriously, you'll just have your unkillable phoenix stuck into some chaff, since without flaming weapons (or another boost to her damage) it doesn't do much damage

3 hours ago, Thugmullet said:

Well I'm going to do it,  if only because every one else who can will two. Having said that, I don't think this is good for the game as a whole.

Well I mean, depending how long it will take for gw to introduces the faq of the faq of the last faq.

Or just updates the last very clearly mispronounced rule, considering, how that guy from gw reacted after somebody in this forum wrote to him.

But till then, I could see myself using a veinlord warpseer with the amulet😂

Oh god this is both hillarious and sad. Still though, while stacking such things on frost phoenixes would be hillariously broken, it kinda feels like overkill most of the time. And you can still get killed by insta kill effects. Now, getting Phoenix and Black Dragon/Griffon with Amulet together, supported by Luminark right behind them... that would be quite good, haha.

Also, inbuild overwatch for Sisters of the Watch and Handgunners is treated the same way as using Unleash Hell CA (means only 1 overwatch of any kind per phase). So, yea... my bad on treating GW rule team as competent in this regard. Clearly, when you introduce overwatch for literally everyone, you need to make inbuild overwatch as bad as possible AND give units that were specialized around it a price hike, so it's like overwatch units are priced around warscroll overwatch that is no longer does much and in best case scenarious should not be used at all (yes, this made me juuust a tad salty).

Sisters may yet survive this due to their good versatility and having a possibility to use a much stronger long range Unleash Hell. One CP for double the damage? Yes please! But for Handgunners it's a hammer to the face. Their viability was based both on their usual shooting and around their overwatch hitting on 4+, not 5+, and being ALWAYS available to them. Crossbows now are a much more superior choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zeblasky said:

Oh god this is both hillarious and sad. Still though, while stacking such things on frost phoenixes would be hillariously broken, it kinda feels like overkill most of the time. And you can still get killed by insta kill effects. Now, getting Phoenix and Black Dragon/Griffon with Amulet together, supported by Luminark right behind them... that would be quite good, haha.

Also, inbuild overwatch for Sisters of the Watch and Handgunners is treated the same way as using Unleash Hell CA (means only 1 overwatch of any kind per phase). So, yea... my bad on treating GW rule team as competent in this regard. Clearly, when you introduce overwatch for literally everyone, you need to make inbuild overwatch as bad as possible AND give units that were specialized around it a price hike, so it's like overwatch units are priced around warscroll overwatch that is no longer does much and in best case scenarious should not be used at all (yes, this made me juuust a tad salty).

Sisters may yet survive this due to their good versatility and having a possibility to use a much stronger long range Unleash Hell. One CP for double the damage? Yes please! But for Handgunners it's a hammer to the face. Their viability was based both on their usual shooting and around their overwatch hitting on 4+, not 5+, and being ALWAYS available to them. Crossbows now are a much more superior choice.

Luckily, Handgunners have excellent model quality to make them worth it.

Right?

8 hours ago, Marcvs said:

In a casual game I wouldn't do it because I think it's a mistake. In a tournament I can't see a TO allowing this. More generally I don't think the rule will survive for long.

Even taking it seriously, you'll just have your unkillable phoenix stuck into some chaff, since without flaming weapons (or another boost to her damage) it doesn't do much damage

Just put it on a fire phoenix for peak pain. Then run a hysh mage to add insult to injuruy. So even if they do manage to kill it on a 4+ you just bring him back fully healed

first comment on here to just say how excited I am to see the old order models such as the warrior priest and freeguild general on horse have the cities of sigmar keywords in their FAQ. It says it's not "match play legal" but they have match play points so at least in my local group itll be fine. 

The priest doesn't seem to have a normal prayer on his warscroll, but 90 point curse doesnt seem bad.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 12:32 AM, TheGrimKnight said:

first comment on here to just say how excited I am to see the old order models such as the warrior priest and freeguild general on horse have the cities of sigmar keywords in their FAQ. It says it's not "match play legal" but they have match play points so at least in my local group itll be fine. 

The priest doesn't seem to have a normal prayer on his warscroll, but 90 point curse doesnt seem bad.

Sadly they don’t have FREEGUILD for Freeguild units and memetically Dragon Blade Lord guy lacks cities of sigmar. But either way got a cavalry hero! I just wish knew whay to build now. Also Cav options….all feel kinda abysmal.

27 minutes ago, Arathorn185 said:

Sadly they don’t have FREEGUILD for Freeguild units and memetically Dragon Blade Lord guy lacks cities of sigmar. But either way got a cavalry hero! I just wish knew whay to build now. Also Cav options….all feel kinda abysmal.

well the priest I feel would be the better mounted hero over the general. the general has the same CA as the normal foot version in the book, even works for freeguild, kind of dumb since horse hero doesnt make sense to give orders to units who have to stand still. 

mounted priest can take curse or heal. it can curse a unit that your cavalry charge. so there is at least that. 

well I guess since the dragon lord was clearly supposed to have the cos keyword and you have to talk to the opponent anyways you can use it as such. 

funny the mounted on dragon dragon lord has the keyword lol

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to share,   MVP in living Cities outside of the usual suspects that is not getting talked about is the Knight-Heraldor.  He is so good walking on to a table edge next to a terrain feature with a lot of enemy units nearby.  His horn blast usually gets  something like 5 mortal wounds each shooting phase.  He is great at shepherding the fulminators too but that is another kettle of fish that might be getting a warscroll re-write.  Give the Heraldor a try with a little backup and I don't think you will be disappointed.

First sorry if this has come up previously. I couldn't find it on here but have caught a few snipperts on youtube etc. No real answer iv seen.

Question. Are the individual cities thier own faction or are they a subfaction? Heard a few bits of info for both answers but no real explanation. My heart says no, they are arranged as you would expect for a subfaction from GW but my head says they may not be subfactions because you cant play without choosing a city. Theres no unified command traits, spell lore etc to play as Cities of Sigmar without choosing a city. And how can they be a subfaction to an unplayable faction?

i ask as this will effect the first choice of artifacts of power.

How are others running this?

24 minutes ago, Thugmullet said:

First sorry if this has come up previously. I couldn't find it on here but have caught a few snipperts on youtube etc. No real answer iv seen.

Question. Are the individual cities thier own faction or are they a subfaction? Heard a few bits of info for both answers but no real explanation. My heart says no, they are arranged as you would expect for a subfaction from GW but my head says they may not be subfactions because you cant play without choosing a city. Theres no unified command traits, spell lore etc to play as Cities of Sigmar without choosing a city. And how can they be a subfaction to an unplayable faction?

i ask as this will effect the first choice of artifacts of power.

How are others running this?

My take is that they are subfactions in virtue of sharing a common base allegiance and some allegiance abilities. Plus, they are in the same book, which is a pretty good indication :)

But my other take is that the subfaction/mandatory artefact thing you mention does not apply to Cities subfactions. It only applies to subfactions that force a singular artefact and/or command trait, because it tells you that "if your subfaction includes an artefact, you need to first take that artefact" (paraphrasing). If you tried to comply with this restriction in a Cities list, you would need to take all arefacts in that City's list as your first artefact, which is contradictory, so the rule does not apply. The only way to make this particular rule work RAW is to limit it to subfactions with forced artefact choices (which I also believe it was intended for in the first place).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1