Unit fillers / multiple model basing?

Spifferson

Are unit fillers a thing of the past? 

Ive been thinking of doing a couple of 2 model bases as I expand on my units of 10. 

For 25mm infantry I would mount 2 on a 40mm. 

And 32mm I would mount 2 on a 50mm. 

I am coming at it from a modelling perspective with little scenes worked in but I would appreciate your thoughts. 

Yeah for tournaments they could be a hard sell. Even if you keep them generally in the back you'd often end up with them in/near contact and it's very much not the same thing getting 2x 25mm bases into contact as 1x 40mm. In friendly games and with big units (thinking 30-40ish) you could let it slide though.

In regular AoS games, where the bases are ignored and you measure from the models, you're ****** yourself over (in a rather minor way) by limiting how close together you can position your troops. But I'd say go for it if it looks cool. In tournament games where you have to measure from the base and use the 'correct' base for each model, it would presumably not be allowed. If you don't play in tournaments with strict basing rules (I don't!), then that is not a problem, of course.

1 hour ago, Shadowspite said:

...If you don't play in tournaments with strict basing rules...

Is there such a thing?

I'm going to Warlords in a week and as far as I can tell there are no strict basing rules for that. At least, I hope not, as some of my Skaven Clanrats are multi-based due to looking cool!

I think they still have a place as proxies and features that add to the aesthetic of a unit. What will hopefully disappear is the large generic rock counting as ten goblins/clanrats/skinks. Things like including a gravestone with a hand bursting out for a unit of skeletons or a mortal succumbing to Nurgle's rot to a unit of plague bearers would work perfectly in Age of Sigmar IMO.

On 9/2/2016 at 4:29 PM, Spifferson said:

Are unit fillers a thing of the past? 

Oh...my...SweetZombieJeebus!!!!

Thank you for that post.  I had not thought of that, but even if I had not been an AoS fan before, this would have tipped me over the edge.  I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated...despised...hated unit fillers.

Ding dong that witch it dead and burned.

Hallie-freekin-looya!

2 hours ago, Lucio said:

I'd be unhappy with an opponent who turns up with a miniature with multiple models on a single base who counted it as anything other than 1 miniature of it's kins

Anything else and it's too easy to game to your advantage

How so?

If for instance, in a 40 strong clan rat unit, 3 rats are based on 1 oval base for aesthetic reasons, would that be an advantage?

I started a Deathrattle army, and I like the idea of clumping together several skeletons on an oval base--6 models on 25mm bases, for example, seem to take up about the same real estate as 6 models on a 52mm x 90mm oval base (pic below). Especially for a standard bearer or centerpiece of the unit, I like the idea of creating something a bit more scenic than just models on a movement tray. (And moving 40 individual skeleton warriors takes a fair bit of time.)

IMG_3249.jpg

16 minutes ago, Bostian said:

I started a Deathrattle army, and I like the idea of clumping together several skeletons on an oval base--6 models on 25mm bases, for example, seem to take up about the same real estate as 6 models on a 52mm x 90mm oval base (pic below). Especially for a standard bearer or centerpiece of the unit, I like the idea of creating something a bit more scenic than just models on a movement tray. (And moving 40 individual skeleton warriors takes a fair bit of time.)

Nope, just nope go play 9th Age. If you want to make scenery, go make awesome scenery for your models to climb and fight over. Where would you even start measuring from, the individual models (unable to move), or would you just call all six in range if you could get the base within 1"? ¬¬

17 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Where would you even start measuring from, the individual models (unable to move), or would you just call all six in range if you could get the base within 1"? ¬¬

You're right, measuring for pile in and close combat would be problematic, although every time I've played with big units I can never manage to pile in and roll for attacks for every model until most of the unit has been removed as casualties... and then it's too late to do any good.

The main reason to build this Death army is for a garage game I host on Halloween night--my wife gives out candy and my local game group plays at a table in the garage. This is never going to see the tabletop in a tournament. And for fun games like this I think unit fillers could be cool.

garage gaming.jpg

On 9/9/2016 at 4:02 PM, Double Misfire said:

Nope, just nope go play 9th Age. If you want to make scenery, go make awesome scenery for your models to climb and fight over. Where would you even start measuring from, the individual models (unable to move), or would you just call all six in range if you could get the base within 1"? ¬¬

Don't you think this is a little over-critical?  I mean seriously, you're ready to send the guy to 9th age purgatory over unit fillers??? ;)

In all seriousness though, why not use a filler like this?  You just drop the filler unit in somewhere in the middle or back of the unit.  When you start taking casualties that get over the filler unit size, pull it out.  Most of the units you'd want a filler for are going to be in hordes like the skellies, and are going to be chewed up pretty fast anyway.

AS for measuring, He has them on their normal bases, attached to a larger base, problem solved.  Larger base doesn't count for measuring.  Just measure too/from the model base, not the oval.

48 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Don't you think this is a little over-critical?  I mean seriously, you're ready to send the guy to 9th age purgatory over unit fillers??? ;)

In all seriousness though, why not use a filler like this?  You just drop the filler unit in somewhere in the middle or back of the unit.  When you start taking casualties that get over the filler unit size, pull it out.  Most of the units you'd want a filler for are going to be in hordes like the skellies, and are going to be chewed up pretty fast anyway.

AS for measuring, He has them on their normal bases, attached to a larger base, problem solved.  Larger base doesn't count for measuring.  Just measure too/from the model base, not the oval.

Blah, sorry, was doing my best to be funny with sarcasm in that post. I'd never condemn anyone to 9th Age in real life!

Archived