AoS 3 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

PC Veteran

I think I have settled on the first list that I want to try.

Sub Faction: Drakkfoot

HQ
Wurrgog Prophet 170 (burning tattoo, kunning bs)
Wardokk 85 (guidance, breath of gorkamorka)
Wardokk 85 (heal, gorka morka warcry)
Wardokk 85 (curse, brutal beast spirits)

Battleline
30 Arrow Boys 390
30 Arrow Boys 390
5 Boar Boys 140 (stikkas)

Behemoth
Rogue Idol 420*

Endless Spells
Emerald Life Swarm 60
Burning Head 20

Battalion: Battle Regiment

Total: 1985

* Assuming that the Idol remains unchanged. If it goes up, I have a slight cushion and can always drop the burning head. If it gets phased out, then I might need to rethink my life choices. Lol.

Soo.. with the battalion I am a 2 drop army. Play style would be this... buff the save on the rogue Idol to 3+ and use dances, the heal prayer, and Emerald life swarm to heal up to 5d3 damage a turn, and an extra d3 on your opponents turn since you retain control of it. If you keep the burning head close'ish to him he will re'roll hit rolls of 1. He is the wrecking ball/distraction carnifex that you send into the opponent and force them to deal with it.

Arrowboys are there to support the Idol. Add +1 to hit for a unit of arrowboys, and curse their target, dealing mortal wounds on 6's. This should delete units quickly.

Thanks to the Wardokks being priests as well as wizards, they get access to 3 prayers a piece now (bless, smite, and one universal). Every Hero can deal mortal wounds and provide some utility. Wardokks perform triple duty with casting, praying, and dancing.

Boarboys are just there to be fast moving objective grabbers and harrassers.

Over all I like the initial idea behind the list. The new priest rules and Wardokks getting access to these universal prayers is a big game changer. There are a ton of mortal wound opportunities and being Drakkfoot makes that extra brutal. Lots of healing and between the rally command ability and the life swarm, there is potential to replenish decimated units. With the guidance prayer and the Wurrgog I have a potential 2 extra command points a turn to play with. The Idol and wierdokk dance can pump up a caster level to +2, and Drakkfoot command ability let's me unbind with one of my Arrowboys units with a +1 unbind bonus. So definitely it has spell casting chops.

Originally I was going to have 1 unit of archers and 1 large unit of Spears to screen. Then I realized that because of the caps on improving saves, the Arrowboys can be just as survivable as the Savage Orruks with shields (as shields give +1) with a prayer, spell, or dance. The Spears are better in melee, but the coherency rules will limit their attacks, and the unleash hell command ability will close the gap. So I think Arrow Boys win out.

Then I thought about dropping the Arrowboys down to 20, using the points to pick up a big boss and maniac wierdnob, and going with a kunning rukk. But.... two squads of 20 with one extra attack round for one comes out to the same number of attacks as two full squads of 30. Plus, the bigger squad retains its bonus attacks longer, has an easier time regaining losses from rally, and will do more damage when using unleash hell. So I think I will go with two squads of 30 for now.

What do you guys think?

On 6/20/2021 at 5:17 AM, novakai said:

the new GHB did say that the Monster Arcanum publication is still playable but FW model Longevity is not looking good so I advise with caution and don't expect them to last.

Does the GHB explicitly say the FW model longevity does not look good or just that monstrous arcanum is still valid? 🙂

8 hours ago, Fuchur said:

Does the GHB explicitly say the FW model longevity does not look good or just that monstrous arcanum is still valid? 🙂

should have broke it down but Monster arcanium is playable because they listed as a valid publication for now, you probably get to play with it until next year

but because of the recent downturn of forgeworld model, i advise that it not always going to be so

I always play Ironjawz. But I really want to try playing big waaagh.

A noob question: can I apply wardokk buff on a unit of gruntas ? Can I use mighty destroyer (with the trait) on a unit of big stabba ?

I saw someone saying the wardokk being our best support character. But if I cannot boost half of my units ^^

3 hours ago, Backbreaker said:

I always play Ironjawz. But I really want to try playing big waaagh.

A noob question: can I apply wardokk buff on a unit of gruntas ? Can I use mighty destroyer (with the trait) on a unit of big stabba ?

I saw someone saying the wardokk being our best support character. But if I cannot boost half of my units ^^

Sadly there is very little inter army synergy between the Orc factions. The Kruel boys don't seem to be bringing much either. The Big Waagh allegiance abilities are designed to remedy that some what.

That being said, Wardokks being priests opens up some new possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

We will have to wait and see how they expand on the Big Waaagh allegiance. I suspect some of the buffing heroes unique to each individual faction will be limited to only their own kind, but also having some overall buffs for the wider faction. 

Overall I'm very excited about the new book. As someone who has an Ironjawz force and is starting Kruleboyz, the new book is like a 2 for 1 for me. 

Hi guys. I am way behind the curve here in 3.0 knowledge. I am doing my best to catch up, but I literally just started to read last Monday. Now I am doing my best to find all the information I can about the game.

Help! If you know about a great resource for AoS please let me know. I was super into 2.0 and want to do my best to play and learn and help the community. I pre ordered Dominion without even knowing that the 2nd half would be more Orruks. And since Vince is calling them Swamp Bogglers then I have to play then for sure, because no one takes the good Boggler's name unless they do the work.

Here is my 3.0 list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (495) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (120) in Battle Regiment
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Big Drogg Fort-Kicka (490) in Battle Regiment
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (170) in Battle Regiment
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Savage Orruks (130) in Battle Regiment
- Stikkas
- Stikkas

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 490 / 400
Wounds: 147

Does this work? Does the Big Drogg Ally fit in to the one drop Battalion or does he make this a two drop list?

Does every list take the MBMK now? How can you not go Ironclad/Metalrippas?

Yayaya. There aren't any Dominion models in this army... I don't even have my box yet because I am too busy to pick it up. I just want to play! and these are some of the models I have.

More yayaya, wait for the new book to come out! Dammit!

5 hours ago, Boggler said:

Does every list take the MBMK now? How can you not go Ironclad/Metalrippas?

I just played a tournament with 2 mawkrushas.

1 with Ironclad, Amulet of destiny and wierd un
1 with Metalripper klaw

The first one is a great tank and has good damage output and the second one is just our killing machine. I would say that you should try the first one just to see how it playes.

I recently ran this list:

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (495) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (580) in Battle Regiment
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Units
3 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (120) in Battle Regiment
- Allies

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 103

Since we are only allowed to have one mount trait, I figured maybe bringing Big G could be feasable. I faced off against KO (EMiDS, Gotrek, 10x Thunderers, 6 Skywardens, 2 x 3 Endrinriggers, Ironclad all in Barak Urbaz)

The 5 up Ward-Save together with Ironclad is amazing, my General tanked 4 activations of Gotrek and survived with 2 wounds. Gordrakk did not do much, except kill my opponents general and drew a lot of attention towards him. All in all I played more the objectives and battletactics and redeploy in conjunction with our mad as hell opens up a lot of technical playstyles. We are still and maybe more then ever super CP hungry, so my advice bring all the Fungiods, or Weirdnob with Artefact or Wurrgogs you have. 

The Boltboyz in 3's are lackluster, as they are now. Not super bad, as this list in particulary needed to divert my opponent as much as possible, but this list needs a wizard and mystic shield.

The game finished 26 to 9 for Ironjawz, I would have been tabled in round 5 for sure, but we have a lot of ways and movement to deny our opponents from scoring or cheeky enough to score ourselves.

Yeah. I am going to take an MBMK Ironclad/Ammy

The agonizing question is Big Waagh vs Ironjawz.

I want to take the cheaper Savage Orruks for objectives and the +1/+1 BW does help a lot, though Mighty Destroyers is too good to pass up and I can't see myself ever going Brutish Cunning in a BW.

Maybe Vanilla Ironjawz with a 20 man Savage Orruk blob for camping somewhere. Sadly, I do not have two MBMK's

Here is the list I am going to plat this Thursday vs Seraphon:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (495) in Warlord
- General
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Wurrgog Prophet (170) in Warlord
- Lore of the Savage Beast: None
Hand of Gork (120) in Warlord
Orruk Warchanter
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340) in Warlord
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Reinforced x 1
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Stikkas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (190) in Battle Regiment
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- Reinforced x 1
5 x Orruk Ardboys (95) in Battle Regiment
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Warlord

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

I'm sticking with Ironjawz this time and I'm going with the Arcane Tome to try out the Warchanter Hand of Gork.

I just finished my first 3.0 tournament. In fact it was my first game of 3.0 and age of Sigmar in over 2 years. It was a small local tournament. 3 rounds, 2k points, 2 battalions max. I was told that it was a laid back tournament to get our feet wet in the new edition. I went with this list:

Sub Faction: Drakkfoot

HQ
Wurrgog Prophet 170 (mork's boney bits, kunning bs)
Wardokk 85 (guidance, breath of gorkamorka)
Wardokk 85 (heal, gorka morka warcry)
Wardokk 85 (curse, brutal beast spirits, burning tattoo)

Battleline
30 Arrow Boys 390

Behemoth
Rogue Idol 420
Rogue Idol 420

Endless Spells
Emerald Life Swarm 60

Battalions: Warlord, alpha beast pack

Total: 1995

Round 1: vs Slaves to Darkness, survival of the fittest.

I don't have his list, but going from memory;

Bela'kor
Chaos lord
Chaos sorcerer
Warshrine
3 varanguard *general
3 varanguard
3 varanguard
20 Mauraders
20 Mauraders

He has 2 battalions, including Warlord, and marks of tzeentch.

It took a long time to get started, as we were both newbies to the edition and miscommunication on the deployment. Turn 1 go first. I castled up with my 2 rogue Idols screening my Arrow Boys and casters, and my Boar Boys are ready to charge up and grab objectives. Right off the bat, Bel'akor uses his special ability to shut down my rogue Idol. Due to terrain, and not wanting to leave it behind, I set up to counter strike.. with my boars poised to go after the side objectives next turn. I miss read my battle tactic so I did not score it. His turn he moves his varanguard to score the middle, and runs his Mauraders to go after the side objectives. He brings Bela'kor close to support the Varanguard. As it was, I was behind 1 point due to me missing my battle tactic. He had sacrificed a potential charge to ensure that he captured the center objective and in doing so Bela'kor and the Varanguard were right in my sights. If I won priority I would be able to put a big hurt on his army.

And..... he double turned. One unit of Mauraders made it to the right objective, and he teleported the 2nd Mauraders unit next to them to make sure my boars couldn't take it from them. He throws Bela'kor and varanguard into one of my Idols, and manages to kill one. My turn I erase Bela'kor and nearly another Varanguard unit. I didn't score my battle tactic, and he holds 2 objectives to my 1. Time is called, and he wins on points.

I think this match came down to the double turn, and being called early. However I believe it could have been anyone's game if it went the distance. I think his army was strong, and he went on to win the whole tournament and best painted. We both forgot several new rules, but it was a great start to learning the new edition.

Score: 0-1

Round 2: vs Ossiarch Bonereapers, Apex Predators

His list:

Arkhan
Liege Kavalos
Soulmason
Boneshaper
5 deathriders
20 mortek guard
20 mortek guard
Harvester
Harvester

He also had 2 battalions and the most common sub Faction whose name escapes me.

He wins 1st turn. I use my pregame moves to set up my castle. He runs his death riders and liege to the left objective, scoring it. Moves everything else up the middle. Arkhan gets a 1st turn charge and gets teleported to the right objective. One of the Morteks get into combat with the rogue Idols.

My turn I get my ferocious advance, heal up the Idols, use my boars on the left to screen against the death riders, send the other Boar Boys to go after Arkhan. I end up wiping out the 1st mortek guard, and a harvester. The boars survive fighting Arkhan, but only just. He also heals from the casualties, so really I shouldn't have bothered. Live and learn.

Round 2, he goes first. Next unit of mortek guard charges into the Idols, along with the Liege Kavalos. The Deathriders charge into my Boar screen. Arkhan kills the boars. Damage is dealt to the Idols, and damage is dealt back.

My turn I ****** myself out of a point by killing the Mortek guard with my Arrowboys instead of an Idol. One Idol kills the liege, the other kills both the Mason and the Boneshaper. The boars die to the Death riders, but they are down to 2 at this point. Time is called and he wins on points.

Over all, I think I could have taken this match up if I was given a full 5 rounds. 2 hours and 15 minutes was no where near enough time. I was steadily chewing through his army, and I may have tabled him if it continued. However, my strategy involved keeping my army clustered together, and with only Heroes able to score this mission he was able to get an early lead that I couldn't surmount in 2 turns.

Score: 0-2

Round 3: vs Daughters of Khaine, Savage Gains

His List:

Hagg Nar
Ulgu
Prized Sorcery

Blood wrack Medusa
Command trait: devoted disciplies
Artifact: shadow stone
Lore of Shadows: mindrazoe

Hag Queen on cauldron
Artifact: ulfuri
Prayer: catechism of murder

Morathi
Lore: pit of shades

Shadow queen

10 blood sisters
10 blood stalkers
20 witch Allies

Endless spell: blood wrack viper

Battalion: Warlord

Looks like the last part of my post got clipped when I posted it. I won't retype everything, but in summary....

My 3rd match was called after round 3. Again 2 hour and 15 minute rounds were not enough time. Once again I lost, but it was a lot closer, and it could have been anyone's game still. I finally had a good feel for what battle tactics worked best for me.

Even though I didn't win a single game, I was happy with my list. Wardokks are the engine that makes it work. Casting, praying, and dancing. I damaged myself a bit by rolling 1's, but it was manageable with all the healing I had. With their ability to buff casting and dispelling checks, added to the bonuses provided by the rogue Idols, I was able to match Arkhan, Morathi, and Bela'kor in casting battles and come out ahead more often than not. Plus, the casting bonuses helped ensure that the Fist of Gork was wounding on a 4+.

My healing was great. If they didn't out right kill off an Idol, I could heal them back to full health in a turn with a potential 5d3 of healing. In addition, the Emerald Lifeswarm could return Arrowboys on a 3+. Combined with Rally, it helps keep the unit strength up.

Unleash hell was just as brutal as I figured it would be. The Curse prayer was trickier than expected to pull off due to it's short range. When it did go off, averaging 15 mortal wounds in a round of shooting was devastating.

The main problem with my list was in my tactics. Aside from my Boarboys, the whole army clumps together and concentrates it's power at one point. This does allow armies that split their forces to get ahead early by claiming more objectives. This was especially clear in the second round game with the Apex Predators mission. With only Heroes able to claim objectives, I was limiting myself to claiming just one objective by keeping my Heroes clumped together. By splitting his army up, I was able to chew through it piecemeal, and with more time I think I could have pulled it out. But it is something to consider.

I also found that the list had ample command point generation. In fact I had to force myself to spend them more freely, as most of the time I ended the round with points going to waste.

I really hope forge world keeps the Idol around. They were important to my list. If they do squatt them, then I will probably get Bundo Whalebiter in the list to at least replace 1. However the caster bonuses would be sorely missed.

Over all I had a great time, and was happy to finally be gaming again. All of my opponents had a blast playing against me, as they had never seen an Orruk list play like it before. I think that all 3 of my opponents had solid lists and played competitive armies, and I was able to go toe to toe with them. At first I was worried that two Idols would be too cheesey for a supposedly casual tournament, but those concerns left as soon as I saw Morathi, Arkhan, and Bela'kor. The new battle tome will be out soon. Hopefully the Wardokks keep the priest keyword, and maybe we will get some changes to the wording on our shields. I don't expect many changes, as I think they are more concerned about the Kruelboyz.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...