AoS 3 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

PC Veteran

2 hours ago, PC Veteran said:

Looks like we will have 3 armies to choose from now. Ironjawz, Bonesplitterz, and Kruleboyz. Can't wait to see all the new changes. Supper excited.

Discover How Command Abilities Are the Key to Success with the Orruk Warclans in the New Edition - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

I'm wondering if it's a new Warclans battletome not a Kruleboyz battletome, I can dream right...¬¬

• Like 1

At start of COVID picked up an IJ army on the cheap for three reasons:

1) one of our players had always been interested in playing IJ

2) as an elite army it fit the Meta we were trying to build for these Zoom games

3) I’d heard vague rumblings that Orks could be focus of 3.0 providing the potential just as Zoom league was winding down for Warclans to get a new lease on life playstyle wise.

On the first point it worked out great.  The player went all in on IJ.  Then dived into Big Waaagh!!! Then built off the BS units we’d used fir BW to play pure BS.

On the second point IJ we’re perfect for our elite meta.  With the Rogue Idol we had on hand BW became a great monster mash with Pebbles and Bam Bam the Mawcrusha.  While BS went away from the elite meta as a change of pace it has been a lot of fun.  With the current player rounding out their run (though I’m sure they’ll want to test drive the KruelBoyz too) other players are excited to try them out,

On that third point boy oh boy does it look like that bet has paid off.  I’d been thinking Kruelboyz would be a bit of a stand-alone feature, eligible for BW but getting their own thing.  I wasn’t expecting a shiny new tome for all of Warclans.  Super excited to get the new Kruelboyz and start trying out new ways to Krump.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Malakree said:

I'm wondering if it's a new Warclans battletome not a Kruleboyz battletome, I can dream right...¬¬

That's what I'm hoping. A new Warclans book with updated warscrolls, a few tweaks, and a new section with Kruleboyz. 

I'm stoked for a new warclans book.

Something is worrying though; between Kragnos and the Swampcaller both having abilities that can negatively impact your own army, I fear GW might be reinvesting in the concept of team killing dim-wittery as a defining theme of destruction forces. Which, while flavorful does make me flash back to the bad old days of greenskin animosity. 

I'm interested to see if venom crusted weapons will be one of the allegiance abilities that has a parallel ability in the big waaagh!.

I'm really looking forward to having some shooting and artillery available! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomplex said:

I'm stoked for a new warclans book.

Something is worrying though; between Kragnos and the Swampcaller both having abilities that can negatively impact your own army, I fear GW might be reinvesting in the concept of team killing dim-wittery as a defining theme of destruction forces. Which, while flavorful does make me flash back to the bad old days of greenskin animosity. 

I'm interested to see if venom crusted weapons will be one of the allegiance abilities that has a parallel ability in the big waaagh!.

I'm really looking forward to having some shooting and artillery available! 

I'm not super worried about the Swampcaller. I think his Boggy Mist spell is really only going to be run in a Kruelboyz allegiance army, while a Big Waagh army is probably going to mostly use him to pass poison to ranged units. I guess, even in Kruelboyz, the Boggy Mist would hurt Hobgrots and any other non-Orruk units the faction gets, which could be a factor if we get rumored Hobgrot Cavalry or any standalone Troggoth units. Still, the player should be able to tell pretty well if they're going to have any important charges with units that would be negatively affected, and can choose to use the Shaman for a potion or another spell instead.

Also, it sounds like Kruelboyz will keep Venom-Encrusted weapons in a big waaagh style mixed army.

The Kruleboyz even have their own extra allegiance ability, Venom-encrusted Weapons, which is every bit as nasty as it sounds! What’s more, they gain this ability whether you field an army consisting exclusively of Kruleboyz or use them as part of a larger Orruk Warclans force.

Edited by EnumaEilish
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

So far I like what has been shown of our swampy brothers, wish they didn't have a Destruction version of a Lumineth rule but I won't turn down easy mortal wounds I guess... I just want to see what other spells we get and hopefully new units! I think we will get a wolf rider style unit and a Nob style unit  too, maybe another named hero?

26 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

So far I like what has been shown of our swampy brothers, wish they didn't have a Destruction version of a Lumineth rule but I won't turn down easy mortal wounds I guess... I just want to see what other spells we get and hopefully new units! I think we will get a wolf rider style unit and a Nob style unit  too, maybe another named hero?

Its definitely one of those bittersweet things where I think mortal spam is terrible for the game and gw needs to stop dolling it out like candy, but on the other hand I want destruction to be competitive and if they are already throwing it out to everyone else I wants it too haha.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm playing around with what I think might be my first OWC list for 3rd based on the points leaks, what do we think? (I haven't figured out artefacts and all that yet).

Leaders
Megaboss on Makkrusha (General)
Orruk Warchanter
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-Grot

Battleline
Ardboys (10) - reinforce 1
Ardboys (10) - reinforce 1
Gore-gruntas (6) - reinforce 1
Gutrippaz (10)

Other
Man-skewer Boltboyz (6) - reinforce 1

Total Points: 1995/2000
Wounds: 135
Reinforcement: 4/4 

What I wanna try:

-Warlord battalion-

Megaboss on mawkrusha 

Killaboss on gnashtooth

Swampcaller shaman

Wardokk

30x arrowboys

6x manskewer bolt boys

-Vanguard Battalion-

Warchanter

3x gore gruntas 

3x gore gruntas 

Edited by PlayerJ
Because
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Crossing my fingers given how fun Pebbles is but unless they’re doing a separate FW points update I’m worried he’s shuffled off to Legends.

Probably not gw likes to keep the things they still sell in the game.

Just now, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

I’ll be thrilled to be wrong.  And he’s only listed as Temporarily Out of Stock.  Just been bit enough by FW squats to be cautious at this point.

He's in stock right now. So i think we are save.  ( i mean it's such a easy model to make yourself i think forgeworld has a hard time selling them so stock might last a while) 

2 minutes ago, Zappgrot said:

He's in stock right now. So i think we are save.  ( i mean it's such a easy model to make yourself i think forgeworld has a hard time selling them so stock might last a while) 

FD4C9A80-219A-4487-B6DA-0719195AB6D2.png.0c43bacdc453b3be5e3040180e97e8ab.png

Just going by U.S.  Fair enough Troggoth Hag here has gone in and out of stock a lot lately.  But will keep my fingers crossed for points as I’d love to get mine on table in 3.0!

3 hours ago, bonzai said:

Anyone see any updates on the Rogue Idol? My list building will heavily depend on how they are treated with the edition change. 

the new GHB did say that the Monster Arcanum publication is still playable but FW model Longevity is not looking good so I advise with caution and don't expect them to last.

10 hours ago, PlayerJ said:

What I wanna try:

-Warlord battalion-

Megaboss on mawkrusha 

Killaboss on gnashtooth

Swampcaller shaman

Wardokk

30x arrowboys

6x manskewer bolt boys

-Vanguard Battalion-

Warchanter

3x gore gruntas 

3x gore gruntas 

I recently tried out a few of your mentioned units. If you don‘t mind, I‘d like to share my thoughts.

the Mawkrusha is amazing, the steep point hike, seems justified. As he can have heroic actions and rampage, I ran 2 MBoMK and had a blast! Wardokk still the best support character we have followed by out warchanters, nothing really changed except command Ranges and a cheeky use of the Universal Prayer Curse can make the difference for your arrowboys.

Because they got kind of worse. They never were the cream, but the volume did it for them. Now there is a lot stuff with good armor and it’s easy to get +1 to save, 30 arrowboys shooting a +3 save target results statistically in 4 wounds, wich is ok but a lot of points. Standing and shooting is not doing much either. So getting off curse within 9“ Inches might be a thing, but Hard to pull off.

Gore Gruntas in 3s are fine, with warchanter buff they still dish out Lord of damage and counting as 6 Models helps in capturing objectives, sometimes Even without fighting, of Said objectives are held by eg a small squad of Liberators.

cant say anything about the Kruleboyz yet, but Dominion is on it’s way.

19 hours ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

FD4C9A80-219A-4487-B6DA-0719195AB6D2.png.0c43bacdc453b3be5e3040180e97e8ab.png

Just going by U.S.  Fair enough Troggoth Hag here has gone in and out of stock a lot lately.  But will keep my fingers crossed for points as I’d love to get mine on table in 3.0!

Wierd i did not expect that forgeworld would differ between eu and US. But seems like it does. I can order it. 

Have an idea for how my first Big Waaagh! list could look with the new Kruleboyz units. What do you guys think?

Warlord Battalion

1 Megaboss on Maw-Krusha
- General
- Brutish Kunnin
- Metalripper Klaw
- Mean Un

1 Warchanter
- Fix em Beat

1 Swampcalla Shaman with Pot Grot
- Spell: Levitate or Ghost-Mist
- Amulet of Destiny

20 Gutrippaz

6 Man-Skewer Boltboyz

Vanguard Battalion

1 Warchanter
- Get em Beat

3 Gore Gruntas

3 Gore Gruntas

3 Gore Gruntas

I mean it seems like we may be in for a lot of faq updates not to mention the fact that our units may be getting full warscroll rewrites if we are about to be getting a new armybook next month.  So everything I'm about to say comes with that giant caveot.  While I really like where ironjawz are at the moment, I'm a little sad about where bonesplitters/big waagh! are as of this moment.  They feel like they got shafted a bit.  Even past the horde discount going away (this effects pretty much everyone across books) the limits to armor modification really hit BS hard.  their scroll has a built in armor modification ability on it, which means they are capped at 5+ armor.  Granted you can give that 5+ rend resistance up to -3, but still its not great, it takes a lot of the wind out of their sails.  Really hope in the faqs and/or new book the shield save bonus is just built into the profile.  Still means we will never see 3+ save bonesplitters again, but itd be at least something.

49 minutes ago, tripchimeras said:

I mean it seems like we may be in for a lot of faq updates not to mention the fact that our units may be getting full warscroll rewrites if we are about to be getting a new armybook next month.  So everything I'm about to say comes with that giant caveot.  While I really like where ironjawz are at the moment, I'm a little sad about where bonesplitters/big waagh! are as of this moment.  They feel like they got shafted a bit.  Even past the horde discount going away (this effects pretty much everyone across books) the limits to armor modification really hit BS hard.  their scroll has a built in armor modification ability on it, which means they are capped at 5+ armor.  Granted you can give that 5+ rend resistance up to -3, but still its not great, it takes a lot of the wind out of their sails.  Really hope in the faqs and/or new book the shield save bonus is just built into the profile.  Still means we will never see 3+ save bonesplitters again, but itd be at least something.

This is exactly what I am sad about as a bonesplitterz purist. That and I thought we would go to 20 models per unit since savage orruks are the "horde" orruks.

45 minutes ago, Belmail said:

This is exactly what I am sad about as a bonesplitterz purist. That and I thought we would go to 20 models per unit since savage orruks are the "horde" orruks.

Looking though the updates, only the trashest of trash units got a unit size of 20: Zombies, Goblins, Clanrats and Gnoblars. Bonesplitters are definitely a cut above those, more on the level of Skeletons and Freeguild Guard, who also only come in 10s.

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Looking though the updates, only the trashest of trash units got a unit size of 20: Zombies, Goblins, Clanrats and Gnoblars. Bonesplitters are definitely a cut above those, more on the level of Skeletons and Freeguild Guard, who also only come in 10s.

I was personally expecting skeletons to go to 20 unit size, along with savage orruks because their box size is in 20s and GW tends to match box sizes to unit sizes.

• Like 1