TGA Painting Contest - White Dwarf Slaughter priest

Ben

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally finished mine, and went a little insane in the progress. I tried a lot of new stuff and in hindsight I'm not sure that was the best way to go. But I had a blast and loved this contest. I'd love to do something like this again. Just pick a model and paint! I'll take some pics this week and post in the other thread.

Now, time to get back to my beloved slaaneshi elves.

I thought I would post up a few of my WIP shots - hopefully you find them interesting :-)image.jpeg

1. I paint from white undercoat, I much prefer it to black as the colours go on much smoother and vibrant.

image.jpeg

2. Rather than paint the dark colours, I jump straight to the final highlight colours - the skin is Flayed One Flesh straight away. Here you can see how I do my mottled rust too, Skraag Brown with strippled Ironbreaker.

image.jpeg

3. Once the inks go on the model it starts to take shape.

(edit - I mean Citadel washes/shades.)

image.jpeg

4. And then it's the fun part - the Highlights :-)

I hope that was interesting, and if you've always used black undercoat why not give white a shot for your next mini? :)

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

@bottleI've been meaning to try making the switch to white for a while now, great inspiration, thanks. Do you find models done with a white undercoat are quicker than black using your method?

It's a tough call because I think I spend longer on highlights and glazes than I used to before - but in that case I get much better results for the same amount of time overall. So I would say it is quicker, and if you just finished after the washes and didn't apply any highlights I think you're already at a good solid tabletop standard, whereas at that stage from black the models are usually still very dark and the detail hard to make out.

Awesome to hear you'll be trying white soon! :) I love your tanked Grombrindal btw!

Archived