TGA Painting Contest - White Dwarf Slaughter priest

Ben

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really enjoying this, great to see what everyone is doing with their model. Some very original conversions and nice painting. 

I've decided to turn the khorne slaughterpriest into a warrior of tzeentch. With a distinct bird-like mutation and some flames. Sculpting flames and feathers is something new for me, but I'm pretty happy with the flames. In the future I intend to paint up a tzeentch warband, using the zilver tower models. So this Guy is somewhat of a test.

for painting I want to try making the armour look like it shines just like crow feathers or a beetle. 

YxfrxGE.jpg TytnDDG.jpg E14eYuR.jpg

Inspired by @Ademo I present Grombrindal Unforged (supremely wip):

large_GU01.jpg.376a6273164d53663bcea94aa

large_GU03.jpg.b2d6eb2a563041f92ee98e8fe

large_GU02.jpg.a89d104d935dcbbbdfdff7612

Silly background bit justisfying the White Dwarf looking like this:

After a particularly heavy bender on the outer ring of the Realm of Fire (rivaled only by the one left him bereft of his clothes, his axe and all his trademark magic items, leaving him only with a sore head and idiotic hairstyle) Grombrindal, the legendary White Dwarf was caught unaware by a skaven raiding party, formed of the minions of the dread Grey Seer Skurrik. Bored of trying to unlock the secrets of the Stormcast Eternals Skurrik had turned his claw to attempting to create warped counterparts to the legendary Fyreslayers, purchasing scores of duardin slaves from Zharr Goroth slavemasters and hammering shards of pure warpstone into their flesh to little avail.

None of the duardin Skurrik had experimented on had survived more than a few agonising minutes, so when heheard rumours of a legendary immortal duardin, said to be unkillable, even at the hands of the most dread champions of Chaos, the Grey Seer sent his servants abroad across the Mortal Realms to capture this improbable test subject. Upon finally being able to experiment on his coveted subject Spurrik's eagerness quickly turned to frustration and boredom, the duardin displaying no visible discomfort or reaction to the ever increasing warpstone hammered into his flesh, only occasionally waking up to insult Skurrik and burp.

After weeks of static results and almost exhausting his warpstone supply the only noteworthy mutation Skurrik was able to render was a second mouth appearing on the back of the subject's left hand. When the second mouth resolved only to insult Skurrik and burp at him, the Grey Seer resolved to clear his (now massive) warpstone debt and sell the duardin to the Khornate fighting pits of the Brass Horde.

Now just about on the second stage of his hangover (blearily staggering about and whacking things while complaining of a sore head) Grombrindal thrived in the Brass Horde's fighting arenas, the Bloodbound only realising he was impossible to kill moments after they'd run out of warriors to challenge him in the pit with, the White Dwarf having sent the entire tribe's souls back to Khorne.

Now on a stage three hangover Grombrindal wanders the Mortal Realms, convinced enough hair of the dog will drown the warpstone influence out of his system (the second mouth on his hand having become rather annoying, constantly backtalking and asking for more beer), taking his headache out on any servants of Chaos, Death or Destruction who stand in his path.

And to think, when I finally got my White Dwarf yesterday morning I almost gave the Slaughterpriest away. Please let me know if you think any improvements can be made.

@elfhead Holy wow, how do you sculpt with greenstuff like that? The flames and feathers are super impressive.

I guess being new to the hobby and never having done a conversion at all, really all of these converted guys are insane to me. Great work, all. I hope I one day have the bravery to smash parts together in the way you do.

22 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

@bottle That red is superb! Such a rich colour. Also how did you do the weapons colour? That would be perfect for what I have in mind for a wight king.

@elfhead Beautiful conversion buddy. Great greenstuff work and some really relatively minor changes to make a dramatic change. Perfect Tzeentch feel. Really need to learn to sculpt!

Thanks! The weapon isn't finished in the WIP shot but to get there was: 1. Skrag Brown over a White undercoat. 2. strippled Ironbreaker 3.Washed in Agrax Earthshade 4. Washed in Nuln Oil (sparingly) 5. Highlighted with Stormhost Silver. :) 

Just now, Soulsmith said:

@Double Misfire That looks superb! Such an inspired conversion, and the torso looks suitably beefy. Makes me think of a proper dwarf, like you see in the art. Just all muscle, all pent up stunty strength! All I would say is the shoulder pad looks a bit too chaosy, but paint scheme may change that anyway.

Really going to be a tough contest all!

I've cut a good few chunks out of the shoulderpad with my knife and clippers, and part of the (contrived) backstory I wrote for the model looking the way he does earlier in the thread has him fighting as a gladiator in a Khornate arena, so I've got all my bases covered.

Now quite tempted to grab a box of Vulkite Beserkers and the starter box Blood Reavers and make a small force of these guys, dwarfs caught in the worst parts of the mortal realms during the Age of Chaos, who while still dwarfs and fighting on the side of right are slightly crazy/mutated and forced to use scavanged chaos wargear.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of these painted; mine is still grey! :D I decided not to convert and play it safe, but I'm trying out cork layers on my bases for the first time. Rather than drown the Slaughterpriest in red, I'm thinking of going with a predominately black and brass scheme. My Bloodbound will be in service to the Everchosen!   

Archived