AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

1 minute ago, Ganigumo said:

If you take wounds off the sides they don't break coherency, if you remove them from the middle they'll break.

As soon the ends lose 1 each then the model on the end of each side of the line is now only next to 1 model, so it breaks until you're down to 5.

Edit: In the scenario of one long line with a group of 3 at each end.

Edited by RedemptionUK
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RedemptionUK said:

As soon the ends lose 1 each then the model on the end of each side of the line is now only next to 1 model, so it breaks until you're down to 5.

Not if they're base to base and on 25mm bases and you don't need to remove models for coherence until the end of a turn, so its fine for a screen.

• Thanks 1

Well I knew Warhammer the old world was coming but didn’t realise it would be this fast! Any unit of 6 or more models on any base size other than a 25mm will basically be in 2 ranks and if they’ve only got a 1 inch reach only the front rank can fight. Feels like pre 8th edition fantasy.

Edited by GutrotSpume
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ganigumo said:

Not if they're base to base and on 25mm bases and you don't need to remove models for coherence until the end of a turn, so its fine for a screen.

The guy I was quoting said about spacing everything 0.99 inches apart to still deny space, that's why his scenario wouldn't work.

1 minute ago, Ganigumo said:

If you take wounds off the sides they don't break coherency, if you remove them from the middle they'll break.

If you lose one of the three units at the end, the remaining one will no longer be in coherency, which causes a chain reaction down the line.

- 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
 - - - 8 - - - 9 - - - 0 - - -

Something like this might be the new standard formation for 10 model, 32mm units, with model 8 in range of 1/2/3, model 9 in range of 3/4/5, and model 0 in range of 5/6/7.

I think this allows you to remove any number of models without breaking coherency.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

It's a huge change to the game.

Units with 6+ models on large bases (like heavy cavalry) are much weaker

Jesus my poor 6 man goregrunta squads. God I can already see the weird ass formation they have to move in.

There should be exceptions for units where the models have large numbers of wounds, varanguard, mournfang, goregruntas etc. Probably around 5+ wounds (So gluttons don't get it).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Jesus my poor 6 man goregrunta squads. God I can already see the weird ass formation they have to move in.

There should be exceptions for units where the models have large numbers of wounds, varanguard, mournfang, goregruntas etc. Probably around 5+ wounds (So gluttons don't get it).

Yeah, there's going to be a lot of "Tokyo Drifting" back ranks for cavalry now. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

Yeah, there's going to be a lot of "Tokyo Drifting" back ranks for cavalry now. 

Yup it's going to look stupid and feel bad

They should change this rule to units with more than 6 models instead of units with more than 5

1 minute ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

Never been a fan of conga line screens, hope this new way works out.

Conga lines suck but this is way over restrictive. Should just make it 11 plus models and it would have been fine but as it is why would you ever take elite units in more than 3’s or cav units in more than 5’s. 

well, a lot of units shaping up to be ****** looking at you blood knights with your big bases and 1'' weapons
unit of 5 or bust

cavalry is going to get real weird

edit: the c word that rhymes with trap is censored? that's funny

Edited by Indecisive

Well this is going to be weird for my Troggoths. Even with 2" clubs it's going to be difficult to get them to hit things. The large squads of 6-to-9 that were popular for Rockguts are going to be a bit unwieldy. I guess this is how they fix the Dankhold problem and make them finally relevant. They can still use all their attacks while Rockguts now can't.

I don't hate it, I already moved my Grots like that anyway, but it's going to make large squads of large models harder to use.

Edit: I just realized this is going to affect Sneaky Snufflers since they come in a minimum squad of 6 and make it a lot hard to distribute their buff. Now I don't like it.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
Uh oh.

2 minutes ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Well this is going to be weird for my Troggoths. Even with 2" clubs it's going to be difficult to get them to hit things. The large squads of 6-to-9 that were popular for Rockguts are going to be a bit unwieldy. I guess this is how they fix the Dankhold problem and make them finally relevant. They can still use all their attacks while Rockguts now can't.

I don't hate it, I already moved my Grots like that anyway, but it's going to make large squads of large models harder to use.

Grots don't care if they're base-to-base thanks to 25s
I guess rockguts and Fellwaters will need to be 5 and 4? or 4 and 5? 

• Like 1

Just now, Ganigumo said:

Grots don't care if they're base-to-base thanks to 25s
I guess rockguts and Fellwaters will need to be 5 and 4? or 4 and 5? 

Luckily Fellwaters are still best in squads of 3 unless the meta shifted during the pandemic, so they are probably fine. I guess you are right about Rockguts 5 in the front and 4 in the back to maximize damage. I guess I am just looking for an excuse to dust off my Dankholds.

• Like 1

Are we getting this right? I am not a native speaker, but could it just mean 6“ in 3 dimensions vertically? From a piece of terrain down to the table?  

asking for my 12 Gore gruntas 

Edited by Keilerei

2 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

We already know that going second is being incentivised via extra command points,

image.png.676a7e9daffdeea235afbeb9390fe8f7.png

Spells go brrrr.  (did this in Anvilgard with d3 extra CP thing, bonus cp, etc..). Funny.

And call Annihilators 7" away (with new hero pointing them) with 10" radius MW landing. That seems nice combo.

1 hour ago, GutrotSpume said:

Conga lines suck but this is way over restrictive. Should just make it 11 plus models and it would have been fine but as it is why would you ever take elite units in more than 3’s or cav units in more than 5’s. 

2" coherence would make it fine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Keilerei said:

Are we getting this right? I am not a native speaker, but could it just mean 6“ in 3 dimensions vertically? From a piece of terrain down to the table?  

asking for my 12 Gore gruntas 

Coherency is measured from the base.