AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

55 minutes ago, Enoby said:

- Do you naturally get a command trait, artefact, and spell lore etc without an enhancement from a battalion? Or must you "buy" these first, otherwise you get nothing?

You get one of each. So, one command traits, artefacts of power, spell lores, prayer scriptures, mount traits, triumphs and one unique enhancements (that I'm pretty sure that Great Endrinworks will be here, as Mutations and all this things, but until then... wait for the FAQ!).

- Can named characters use their spell lore, considering they cannot benefit from enhancements? 

Core Rules say that Unique units can't take any Enhancement unless noted otherwise and...

Whut.jpg.78ae2c8cdc0c39f61273b82810a48b58.jpg

That means that even allied wizzards/priest will know that prayer/spell that we chose from Prayer Scripture and/or Spell Lore Enhancements.

It would feel very wrong to need to take a specific battallion to benefit from half of your allegiance abilities...

Yeah, we need to play some games and look for the first new battletomes to see how they work. 

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Wait wait wait, no now Prince V, Mannfred, Neferata, etc cannot select a spell from the spell lores in the Gravelords book!?

They can, because you use 1 enhancement to give every wizard in your army access to 1 spell from a spell lore.

Edit : See @Beliman's post for pictorial evidence.

Edited by Takyz
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Takyz said:

They can, because you use 1 enhancement to give every wizard in your army access to 1 spell from a spell lore.

image.png.9c3d7e9ec8c67a3c5eed23cfcf4f693c.png

Enhancements are given to specific units in an army. 
Enhancements cannot be given to Unique units unless noted otherwise.
There is no note under the spell lores enhancement that marks it as an exception. This is very clear RAW. (Which should be errata'd ASAP)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ganigumo said:

Enhancements are given to specific units in an army. 
Enhancements cannot be given to Unique units unless noted otherwise.
There is no note under the spell lores enhancement that marks it as an exception. This is very clear RAW. (Which should be errata'd ASAP)

But isn't it noted at the top of your spell lore in you battletome? That any *insert faction name* wizard can roll for, or pick a spell? 

I would say so, but could use clarification 👍

3 minutes ago, Third said:

But isn't it noted at the top of your spell lore in you battletome? That any *insert faction name* wizard can roll for, or pick a spell? 

I would say so, but could use clarification 👍

That part is being replaced with the Enhancement rules, if it isn't (for some reason) every wizard gets 2 spells, you'll get 2 free mount traits (or whatever else), every priest will get 2 prayers, etc...
Basically they're moving that bit of text saying each wizard can get one into the core rules.
We'll probably see that when the 3.0 battletome erratas come out

Edited by Ganigumo

3 hours ago, Dracan said:

Which begs the question, why do the AoS rule writers refuse to change the turn 1 priority to what it is now in narrative?.... They hate it so much they dumped all battalion switched over to core battalions, still couldn't get it right, that they then went and implemented measures to try and stop 1 drop 2000pts lists.

There where some inherent problems with battalions which was less about the bonusses and more about tax units ans certain factions getting plain better rules. But this feels like putting a band aid on a bubonic plague victim as you don't want to admit that there is a plague, and the band aid should work right?

I think because turn one is way to strong to be based on luck.  PLayers beeing able to manipulate that and makeing it cost something. Makes for more satisfying play. 

• Like 1

So if you pick a spell lore enhancement all the wizards in your force can pick one spell from that lore. Does that mean all my Slaanesh wizards can pick spells from the Greater Demons lore if I choose it or does it mean only my Greater Demons, Demons or Mortals (depending on the lore I choose) will benefit from the enhancement while other armies' wizards all get to benefit from it? 

1 minute ago, Benkei said:

So if you pick a spell lore enhancement all the wizards in your force can pick one spell from that lore. Does that mean all my Slaanesh wizards can pick spells from the Greater Demons lore if I choose it or does it mean only my Greater Demons, Demons or Mortals (depending on the lore I choose) will benefit from the enhancement while other armies' wizards all get to benefit from it? 

the spell lores enhancement lets each wizard in your army pick a spell from any of the lores available to them. you can pick them from different lores.
If you were to spend an enhancement to take Spell Lores again each wizard could pick a second spell from any of the spell lores available to them.

2 minutes ago, Benkei said:

Don't most Wizards in this situation have a "more specific" rule on their warscroll that limits their spell choices to specific lores, or the lores themselves list a "more specific" restriction than the core book- which would restrict "all wizards in your army" down to "the specific wizards your battletome allows"?

It is really not all that complicated. Mostly these enhancement rules are just a rewrite of how things are now, but with more options down the road to tweak specific things. 

You get 1 command trait for the general, cant choose more, even if you get a free enhancement battalion.

All wizards know 1 spell in a lore available to them as before, however now you could use a bonus battalion enhancement to make that 2 spells from a known lore.

1 Prayer, 1 artifacts etc etc.

Triumps also state that your army still needs to be less points than the opponents to be used, no matter how many you have.

Anything that might divert too much from this intention will for sure get FAQd.

New tomes will most likely interact with this system in a more specific manner.

This is interesting and creates more choice. Nearly anyone could chose to go 1 drop, if both players do it is down to the roll of for deployment first, however now you need to place down ALL of the 1 drop at once no matter what, so if you go 1 drop and want to choose, your opponent can counter deploy to your entire army.

If the opponent chose to not go 1 drop but pick and choose other battalions, they could get effectively 2 free command usages and 1 enhancement for example, while also being able to counter deploy to your entire 1 drop army. Choosing who goes first might be good, but the other player might really get a leg up if they build around not having first turn as well, so a powerful choice in the army building phase.

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

It is really not all that complicated. Mostly these enhancement rules are just a rewrite of how things are now, but with more options down the road to tweak specific things. 

You get 1 command trait for the general, cant choose more, even if you get a free enhancement battalion.

All wizards know 1 spell in a lore available to them as before, however now you could use a bonus battalion enhancement to make that 2 spells from a known lore.

1 Prayer, 1 artifacts etc etc.

Triumps also state that your army still needs to be less points than the opponents to be used, no matter how many you have.

Anything that might divert too much from this intention will for sure get FAQd.

New tomes will most likely interact with this system in a more specific manner.

This is interesting and creates more choice. Nearly anyone could chose to go 1 drop, if both players do it is down to the roll of for deployment first, however now you need to place down ALL of the 1 drop at once no matter what, so if you go 1 drop and want to choose, your opponent can counter deploy to your entire army.

If the opponent chose to not go 1 drop but pick and choose other battalions, they could get effectively 2 free command usages and 1 enhancement for example, while also being able to counter deploy to your entire 1 drop army. Choosing who goes first might be good, but the other player might really get a leg up if they build around not having first turn as well, so a powerful choice in the army building phase.

You can’t choose priority if you have less drops now. The only benefit you get from having less drops is that if you roll a tie on priority the first turn you can choose. Priority changed.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

You can’t choose priority if you have less drops now. The only benefit you get from having less drops is that if you roll a tie on priority the first turn you can choose. Priority changed.

That is true for narrative and open. Stealing the initiative is part of the matched play rules not part of the free core rules. 

"Do not roll off to determine who has the priority in the first battle round. Instead, the player who finished deploying their army first has the priority in the first battle round"

Priority meaning the choice of going first or second.

Ingen tilgængelig beskrivelse.

• Confused 1

Yeah double additional enhancements and double free CP. maybe a nice build for MSU style armies that can just screen and tag objectives if forced to play first. It’s probably what I will do with Khorne lists. I never liked gore pilgrims or tyrants of blood (just died to shooting anyway) so normally I play mass drop high wound count in AoS2. Now I can still do that and get a bunch of buffs. 

torc lizard lord

5+ shrug Bloodthirster

and a 3rd  melee character maybe another lizard lord with +1 damage or gorecleaver  

2 free CP 

throw in a few priests

seems like a nice setup in a faction that can now have 5 ways to heal a lizard lord and 4 for the Bloodthirster. 

also quite fluffy tanky khorne heroes that slay and slay whilst being rejuvenated. 

13 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Yeah double additional enhancements and double free CP. maybe a nice build for MSU style armies that can just screen and tag objectives if forced to play first. It’s probably what I will do with Khorne lists. I never liked gore pilgrims or tyrants of blood (just died to shooting anyway) so normally I play mass drop high wound count in AoS2. Now I can still do that and get a bunch of buffs. 

torc lizard lord

5+ shrug Bloodthirster

and a 3rd  melee character maybe another lizard lord with +1 damage or gorecleaver  

2 free CP 

throw in a few priests

seems like a nice setup in a faction that can now have 5 ways to heal a lizard lord and 4 for the Bloodthirster. 

also quite fluffy tanky khorne heroes that slay and slay whilst being rejuvenated. 

you know what is sick. IF you have enough enchaments. You can take a generic one. And turn your bloodthister into a wizard. WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Its an enhancement that can't be chosen since you always get one anyways. If for some reason you didn't get a command trait you could take it, as far as I can tell there is no scenario where you don't get a command trait.

I think they just wanted command traits to be included with the rest of the enhancements as a reference, so they can refer to these things collectively. It would also be a bit strange if command trait was the only thing left out.

Make a named character your general, no CT.