AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

Question (for those smarter or more informed than I am): 

How do the new battalions even work for "Monster-Mash" style armies like Beastclaw? I've been looking them over for the past few days, and I can't seem to find a useful loadout for any of them, and other armies like SoB don't seem to fit the criteria for the majority  of the battalions either. It just seems like armies that can afford to take a Warlord Battalion (for the enhancements) are going to be very far ahead of other armies because they receive free value from being able to do so. Not complaining, I'm genuinely curious as to how these battalions are supposed to work for more elite armies. 

14 minutes ago, Pariah255 said:

Question (for those smarter or more informed than I am): 

How do the new battalions even work for "Monster-Mash" style armies like Beastclaw? I've been looking them over for the past few days, and I can't seem to find a useful loadout for any of them, and other armies like SoB don't seem to fit the criteria for the majority  of the battalions either. It just seems like armies that can afford to take a Warlord Battalion (for the enhancements) are going to be very far ahead of other armies because they receive free value from being able to do so. Not complaining, I'm genuinely curious as to how these battalions are supposed to work for more elite armies. 

Units that become battleline lose their behemoth role, so Stonehorn beastriders and mancrushers are "Troop" slots and not monster slots.
You also won't get both a mount trait and an artifact with 1 enhancement, you will only get one of them.
Monster mash armies are easy to one drop with, since they fit into a single battle regiment pretty easily.

• Like 1

Just now, frenk_castle said:

I haven't managed to digest all the rules from the core rules PDF. It seems that I do not get a "free command trait" for my general or "one free artefact" for my army? That I need to get that one battalion that grants enchantments in order to get one?

I believe you get one of each type of Enhancement for free, straight up.  

• Like 1

27.3.2 COMMAND TRAITS Each time you take a command trait enhancement, you can pick 1 command trait and give it to your general. You can never pick more than 1 command trait for your army, and command traits can only be given to a general that is a Hero.

Seems I can stack them. So my general can have like three command traits. :D

Just now, frenk_castle said:

27.3.2 COMMAND TRAITS Each time you take a command trait enhancement, you can pick 1 command trait and give it to your general. You can never pick more than 1 command trait for your army, and command traits can only be given to a general that is a Hero.

Seems I can stack them. So my general can have like three command traits. :D

Uh... no.  You can never pick more than one, right in your quote.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KrispyXIV said:

Uh... no.  You can never pick more than one, right in your quote.  

I thought that it is same one. Ok then either you only get the command trait with the battalion or if you get one for free I have no idea what this rule does.

Edited by frenk_castle

23 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

You also won't get both a mount trait and an artifact with 1 enhancement, you will only get one of them.
Monster mash armies are easy to one drop with, since they fit into a single battle regiment pretty easily.

I want to add that this is just pre-GHB2021 and FAQs. There are some synergies that are lost with the new Core Batallions:

Spoiler

You can choose 1 extra SKYVESSEL to have a great endrinwork for each warscroll battalion in your army

That means that old Enhancements are not working as intended (same with Mounts, Mutations or whatever your army used before).

15 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

I haven't managed to digest all the rules from the core rules PDF. It seems that I do not get a "free command trait" for my general or "one free artefact" for my army? That I need to get that one battalion that grants enchantments in order to get one?

You still pick one from each enhancement table (yep, that means Triumphs too, but remember that you still need to use less points than the oponent to use them). Some batallions are going to give you more Enhancements but that means chosing from one from all the tables...

Edited by Beliman

Just now, Fred1245 said:

Unless you're a named character, then you get nothing.

Ok so I do not get a command trait or artefact according to these core rules. I am ok with that. I mean I would like to get them but ok. I have a game with a friend on weekend to try out new edition so I want to get as much as the rules right.

Just now, Beliman said:

I want to add that this is just pre-GHB2021 and FAQs. There are some synergies that are lost with the new Core Batallions:

Hide contents

You can choose 1 extra SKYVESSEL to have a great endrinwork for each warscroll battalion in your army

That means that old Enhancements are not working as intended (same with Mounts, Mutations or whatever your army used before).

Unless they are and GW's answer is 'go feth yourself, you get nothing'.

2 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

Ok so I do not get a command trait or artefact according to these core rules. I am ok with that. I mean I would like to get them but ok. I have a game with a friend on weekend to try out new edition so I want to get as much as the rules right.

No CT or Artefact or book spell or book prayer. Or mount bonuses.

Edited by Fred1245

5 minutes ago, Fred1245 said:

Ok so Slaughterpriest then does not get one a Blessing of Khorne (Bronzed Flesh for instance), Lord-Arcanum can not take one spell from the lore (Chainlightning for instance)? You need to take battalion for that?

I haven't had chance to read through the rules in full, am I correct that there's confusion around enhancements?

It looks like there are two big ones:

- Do you naturally get a command trait, artefact, and spell lore etc without an enhancement from a battalion? Or must you "buy" these first, otherwise you get nothing?

- Can named characters use their spell lore, considering they cannot benefit from enhancements? 

It would feel very wrong to need to take a specific battallion to benefit from half of your allegiance abilities...

9 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

7 minutes ago, Fred1245 said:

6 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Maybe, or maybe not...

1 minute ago, frenk_castle said:

Ok so Slaughterpriest then does not get one a Blessing of Khorne (Bronzed Flesh for instance), Lord-Arcanum can not take one spell from the lore (Chainlightning for instance)? You need to take battalion for that?

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

I haven't had chance to read through the rules in full, am I correct that there's confusion around enhancements?

It looks like there are two big ones:

- Do you naturally get a command trait, artefact, and spell lore etc without an enhancement from a battalion? Or must you "buy" these first, otherwise you get nothing?

- Can named characters use their spell lore, considering they cannot benefit from enhancements? 

It would feel very wrong to need to take a specific battallion to benefit from half of your allegiance abilities...

image.png.23664a42b54bb161233ae2ccc70d14a0.pngimage.png.23664a42b54bb161233ae2ccc70d14a0.png
1 enhancement of each type, and additional based on battalions.
Unique characters don't get anything, not even spells.(Pending errata, or a wierd ruling that lets you get 2 of everything for some reason)

• Thanks 2

I don’t understand how this works with area command abilities such as Nagashs and Mannfreds command abilities:

6.1 USING COMMAND ABILITIES
To use a command ability, you must spend 1 command point, pick 1 friendly model to issue the command, and pick 1 friendly unit to receive the command. 

Are units within the aura considered targeted so they can’t receive other commands in the same phase?

2 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

image.png.23664a42b54bb161233ae2ccc70d14a0.pngimage.png.23664a42b54bb161233ae2ccc70d14a0.png
1 enhancement of each type, and additional based on battalions.
Unique characters don't get anything, not even spells.(Pending errata, or a wierd ruling that lets you get 2 of everything for some reason)

Thanks!

Very strange about named characters and spells. For example, Glutos (a very modern warscroll) has an ability to switch out a spell from the spell lore with another from the same lore as the game goes on. I suppose that ability would cease to work if he had no spell to switch out? 

4 minutes ago, jobume said:

I don’t understand how this works with area command abilities such as Nagashs and Mannfreds command abilities:

To use a command ability, you must spend 1 command point, pick 1 friendly model to issue the command, and pick 1 friendly unit to receive the command. 

Are units within the aura considered targeted so they can’t receive other commands in the same phase?

When ability effects contradict the core rules, the effect takes precedence.

• Like 1

The unique characters not being able to get spell lores seems like a Day-1 FAQ kind of thing. If that's the only thing in the rules that's definitively broken (as in, just doesn't work broken, not as in overpowered broken), that'd actually be quite a large improvement on GW's typical product. 

Edited by yukishiro1

4 minutes ago, jobume said:

I think the aura targets the unit that is emanating it. So a Tzeentch fatemaster would target himself as an example.

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

Thanks!

Very strange about named characters and spells. For example, Glutos (a very modern warscroll) has an ability to switch out a spell from the spell lore with another from the same lore as the game goes on. I suppose that ability would cease to work if he had no spell to switch out? 

I'm certain they just screwed up the rules here.

• Like 1

@Ganigumo How then that works for the command trait? Cause the wording is really confusing me then.

Cause if I can take one for free and then pick extra one for battalion does this means my general will have two command traits? If I get one for free or not and I only get one if I have a battalion why does it says "Each time" implying to me I can do it multiple times, but then says "You can never pick more than 1" implying I can only do it once.

Maybe it is confusing because english is not my first language.

1 minute ago, frenk_castle said:

@Ganigumo How then that works for the command trait? Cause the wording is really confusing me then.

Cause if I can take one for free and then pick extra one for battalion does this means my general will have two command traits? If I get one for free or not and I only get one if I have a battalion why does it says "Each time" implying to me I can do it multiple times, but then says "You can never pick more than 1" implying I can only do it once.

Maybe it is confusing because english is not my first language.

Its an enhancement that can't be chosen since you always get one anyways. If for some reason you didn't get a command trait you could take it, as far as I can tell there is no scenario where you don't get a command trait.

I think they just wanted command traits to be included with the rest of the enhancements as a reference, so they can refer to these things collectively. It would also be a bit strange if command trait was the only thing left out.