AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

51 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Every piece of terrain gives cover against shooting, and tables should have 8+ pieces of scenery.

All woods block line of sight, and there is a universal spell to make any piece of scenery block line of sight.

That is a tremendous nerf to shooting.

...except Lumineth Sentinels, obviously. They're not allowed to be nerfed.

Interestingly, this only is only a possible issue if the shooting player is the Attacker. If the shooting player is the defender then they are solely responsible for terrain setup and can organize the table however they see fit. It'd be a terrible move in a friendly game, but they could easily push all 8 terrain pieces to the side/back of the board and just leave the middle a wide open wasteland. No idea what the point of that rule is honestly. Friendly games should just have both players putting terrain down together until they're both happy and tournament games will just have the terrain set up before the game begins. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

almost certainly, they'll just need to replace the text with something like "these spells are available to <x> as a spell enhancement option"

Horrors are broken either way, but their warscroll says they can only cast their warscroll spell (even if they could learn another one). Whats pretty bad about horrors is that you can still screen nearly as effectively as before. line up a unit of blues/pinks with just under 1" between each model, then put a triangle at each end. Every other unit in the game would break coherency here is any models are slain, but horrors can fill the coherency hole with the models spawned by their split ability.

Not only that, remember you can roll a dice for every slain model and ress a pink horror on a 6

9 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

or use the direct link without having (for some reason) to subsrcibe to the newsletter
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/fZD0X060Qn7ZO0EE.pdf

• Like 3

image.png.3acbcc546887912c057d52287b6212ac.png

Does this mean curse and exploding hits are incompatible?

Coming from nurgle which has quite a bit of to hit 6 shenanigans and there being multiple triggers this is quite sad.

But sensing some urgency from GW to make this edition the non cascading effect edition.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Coming from nurgle which has quite a bit of to hit 6 shenanigans and there being multiple triggers this is quite sad.

But sensing some urgency from GW to make this edition the non cascading effect edition.

Seems like. 

On one hand, I'm glad it means that a lot of my friends freaking out about interactions (like Curse) for my Blood Stalkers won't be an issue.  

...that's more or less the only hand.  This annoying for less powerful units that benefitted from stacking this sort of thing, but it seems like a good rule in general. 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I’m curious, in context to the theory every faction is going to see ~15% point increases, do the new Stormcast/Kruleboyz look okay?

Yeah they look about right. Vindictors would be about 120/5 in 2nd edition while Annihilators would be around 160/3.

27 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Good catch. Do you think that's intended for counter-play or are we going to see an errata?

Just now, Clan&#x27;s Cynic said:

Looks like all Priests suffer 'Divine Wrath' on a roll of 1 now, not just Khorne and Khaine Priests. Not sure I'm keen on that when Sigmar and Grimnir don't seem the sort who'd punish their worshippers for calling their aid.

I tell ya!! Don't trust superstitions, trust aethermatics!!

Edited by Beliman

6 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

I’m curious, in context to the theory every faction is going to see ~15% point increases, do the new Stormcast/Kruleboyz look okay?

Kruleboyz still need an extra boost in my opinion, which may come in the form of the rest of their allegiance abilities/models. The only thing Gutrippaz have over spider riders is 2" reach on a 32mm base for 10 points less, and you really don't want to be compared to spider riders.

The stormcast seem fine, or even good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Clan&#x27;s Cynic said:

Looks like all Priests suffer 'Divine Wrath' on a roll of 1 now, not just Khorne and Khaine Priests. Not sure I'm keen on that when Sigmar and Grimnir don't seem the sort who'd punish their worshippers for calling their aid.

hope it won't add to the D3 damage for slaughtepriest 😛

Oh Im super pumped to have the new rules in hand!!! 🥳

Question: Does flee slain 

At first glance, there seems to be no clarification in section 14-15.  Can the generic command ability Rally (7.2) be used to return models that flee due to battleshock, or only those that are slain?

29 minutes ago, Dracan said:

Interesting side effect is that a megaboss with Rip-tooth Fist should now never take the artefact which reflects mortals on a save roll of a 6 as you would have to choose between the two (they are the same effect).

1266579903_HeroPhase.png.b4612bae4ea8bfb2bff9fc51b56d5f1c.png

You get CPs for your general being on the field in your OPPONENTS turn. That's pretty fricking huge right there. Puts you up to ~3/4 CP's a round.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Oh Im super pumped to have the new rules in hand!!! 🥳

Question: Does flee slain 

At first glance, there seems to be no clarification in section 14-15.  Can the generic command ability Rally (7.2) be used to return models that flee due to battleshock, or only those that are slain?

Flee is not the same as slain.
image.png.5d4068c861252fcbd48ebc0b67e465fa.png

1 hour ago, Verminlord said:

Do we know how returning slain models to a unit interacts with bravery checks?

Yes, from the Rules about battleshock:

"If a slain model is returned to its unit in the same turn that it is slain, it still counts as having been slain in that battle round for the purposes of battleshock tests."

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Yes, from the Rules about battleshock:

"If a slain model is returned to its unit in the same turn that it is slain, it still counts as having been slain in that battle round for the purposes of battleshock tests."

Which makes sense. If I've just had a literal near-death experience I'm likely to look for a way out of that situation.

2 minutes ago, Dracan said:

image.png.73f3f6fbe6da63c3f0e048587ba4101f.png

As the pitched battle part isnt in the free core rules i am unsure if there are still point limits to allies?

Anyone have the pitched battle rules at hand?

yes and it's the same as before, 400 points of allies in a 2k list.

11643716_PileIn.png.78d4658781d7d32d7c3694a25ee3b4b9.png

That's pretty huge, nearest enemy unit not model. Doesn't say what happens if 2 units are equally close though.

1735051183_OvalBases.png.dbda13534192c244a53122ac1a8e5cdd.png

Technically doesn't specify that part of the models base can't move more than it's move distance.

If you have an oval base, move around a unit and end up behind it, you could then pivot so that one of the "oval" bits is moved further than technically allowed but is not further than it's move distance than it started in. Real semantics there but eh, could potentially be funny.