AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

6 minutes ago, Zappgrot said:

Of course they won't cheat? Why would you think they would? 

Because you said they would? What did you think deliberately not following unit coherency was called?

Heads up, it's cheating deliberately not remove your models when they lose all their wounds too.

Edited by Fred1245

1 minute ago, Fred1245 said:

Because you said they would? What did you think deliberately not following unit coherency was called?

I didn't say they would.  I said ppl would probably be ,more lose in casual play.  And that would lead to ppl being a bit slower whit the new rules in tournaments.  But I guess you could interpret it a other way. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Aturox said:

Would be an odd number though. You basically wouldnt be able to play the other 5 models if you dont purchase two boxes.. 

They might leave it at 5 and make them battleline at 5, they used to be 10 before the warclans book dropped.

@Fred1245 @Zappgrot

What will probably happen is people will get a vague idea of what the correct formation looks like then do then "This is what I'm trying to do" like we do with teleport etc. Atm.

Edited by Malakree

8 minutes ago, Malakree said:

They might leave it at 5 and make them battleline at 5, they used to be 10 before the warclans book dropped.

@Fred1245 @Zappgrot

What will probably happen is people will get a vague idea of what the correct formation looks like then do then "This is what I'm trying to do" like we do with teleport etc. Atm.

I think it will take some time to get used to it but if played a couple of times it wont be an issue anymore

I just see people moving back to movement trays for the most part to handle coherency. Seems simple enough. Its fast and you can literally construct them to be perfectly spaced for coherency.

Only gets muddy once you hit combat but piling in and ranges have always been the most finicky part of AoS so I do not think it will have a huge impact on the time investment for a game.

Edited by BigNStinky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

I have no clue on how your personal love for chaos warriors impacts their effectiveness.   I do however also like the idea of  unit sizes matching how they are sold. 

I was just making fun of my love for underpowered units. Specifically my love of 'elite' armies that do not reflect that moniker on the battlefield 😅

Edited by Neverchosen

By the way, there was another intersting topic here. Let me say it first, I have nothing against the physical books, in fact I quite like them for good visuals and all extra content. But!

All faction rules being behind a paywall is actually an abysmal thing. You have all the right in the world to sell books with all the pretty art and extra lore material, you can demand that people can play in tourneys only with official models. Honestly, sure, you can even demand that a person who wants to play an army must have that army battletome, physically or digitally bought (even if this is going slightly too far for my liking). But you must provide all the factions matched play rules for free. An average person doesn't want to buy 23 extra battletomes to see what rules for other factions are and what he actually has to prepare for. And I am one of those people that want to have a good understanding of opponent faction before facing him.

Now then, what other ways are there for learning other faction rules? The most obvious is just learning them with expirience, by playing tournaments and checking rules together with an opponent. Decent, but not all that efficient, you don't have much time to think, it's all in your memory, and rules change overtime, leaving you with outdated experience. Looking at videous of different battle reports? Better, but still cumbersome. Looking for rules explanations? 1d4chan for example have good tactic pages on every faction, but their wording is not as precise as the rules are, sometimes leading to questions on "how exactly does this or that work?", and those pages can still be considered as borderline piracy by some. So yea, if you are a new player, that want to properly be prepared and be knowledgable of all rules, or even if you are an experienced player, that want to do some brainstorming and deepen your game knowledge, your most effective and simple way to do so is piracy.

And it's not that hard to remedy this situation. Just make all matched play relative material (abilities, spells, warscrolls, etc) to be free and consolidate it in a single and constantly updated document. It does not invalidate books, as you still get quite a lot of other extra material in them in a physical form. But it would solve A LOT of quite unnesesary problems, like inability to update certain things in time. It would also give new players a lot more material to learn from, giving them a better understanding of the game beforehand, leading to a better starting army composition, less frustration and much better new players retention.

So, yea, I guess it's my wish for AOS 4.0 then, heh. At least we already have general core rules for free, that's a start.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Sprues&Brews said:

Our full unboxing of Dominion and review of the 3rd Edition Core Book is now live!

https://spruesandbrews.com/2021/06/14/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-dominion-review-and-unboxing-aos-3rd-edition-launch-box-and-core-book/

Video also available here:

I thought new stuff couldn’t drop until preorders went up (You aren’t the only one to drop it, just curious why this time wasn’t the case)

5 minutes ago, novakai said:

i believe they confirm that Warscroll batalions are Narrative and open play only ( if people are still unsure about this)

core battalions are free

Glad to stop arguing about that. I think it was wishful thinking on a lot of people's parts. When something gets leaked from that many sources it has always panned out.

• Like 2

Ok, page 251, triggered effects. If two or more effects are triggered on a 6 then the rolling player has to pick a single effect to trigger. I believe this was written to prevent people from double dipping on effects, ie. you have two abilities so a 6 to hit gives extra attacks and a mortal wound in addition. Unfortunately as written that means if I have a defensive effect (players must reroll sixes to hit for example) and my opponent has an offensive effect (mortal wounds on a 6 for example) then my defensive effect will never work. The player rolling just gets to ignore my effect because they have their own bonus and pick their triggered effect instead of mine. Absolutely magical writing on GW's part.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Ok, page 251, triggered effects...

Obvious FAQ :) And the intent of the rule I like.. Guess 3.0 wasn't flawless after all (not sure anyone expected them to be though, except maybe GW themselves :P)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Third said:

Obvious FAQ :) And the intent of the rule I like.. Guess 3.0 wasn't flawless after all (not sure anyone expected them to be though, except maybe GW themselves :P)

As modern GW they've never put out an Edition that didn't require numerous FAQs. Things won't be settled until probably 3-6 months after the first wave of FAQs drop. Just how it always ends up. Operating under intent vs. RAW has almost always been the safe bet though. :]

Based on what I've seen it looks like i was right when I speculated that reinforcement limits exist to nerf battle regiment. Only matched play uses drops to determine first turn order (the others roll off with the lower drop army winning the tie) and matched play is the only mode to use the limit on reinforcements.

Rules are a lot wordier but mostly inoffensive changes. Priest changes are a good move and still let you chant 1 prayer + 1 invocation.

The kruleboyz stuff is super weak looking. The only thing that might be interesting is huge units of gutrippas

Battle regiment is clearly gonna dominate matched play, and now units that gain the battleline role lose their others, so battleline behemoths all function like mancrushers which means most of the monster spam armies can 1-drop.

Save buffs max out at +1, but stacking it higher should help vs rend. So a +2 would still be a +1 against rend 1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Unfortunately as written that means if I have a defensive effect (players must reroll sixes to hit for example) and my opponent has an offensive effect (mortal wounds on a 6 for example) then my defensive effect will never work. The player rolling just gets to ignore my effect because they have their own bonus and pick their triggered effect instead of mine. Absolutely magical writing on GW's part.

In that example your defensive effect triggers before the roll is finished. It's a reroll not an effect that triggers on a 6. 

Your defensive triggers DURING the roll where as the mortals triggers based on the outcome of the roll. Same way that reroll 1s doesn't interfere with anything which triggers when a 1 is rolled.

• Like 1

Just watched Miniature War Gaming's Dominion Core Book review, really great stuff!

Had an audible oof moment at seeing the Core Rules at 32 pages though(I miss the days of 4 xD ). Indeed it's because of many diagrams, rules dissected into sub-sub-sections and all that added stuff like core battalions and pages of enhancements so it's due to so many additional strategies and expanded clarity than rules bloat.

If you leave all that stuff out it'd probably be around 20 pages of condensed basics that'd be great for beginners and keep that AoS highlight of being easy to learn and play. :)

Looking forward to how this will pan out with a rules layer approach AoS2 had with getting the basics down for an introduction and slowly introducing the advanced stuff like command points, endless spells and now core battalions, enhancements and monster rules.

Hopefully the free download rules will show what's worth cutting out again.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

Miscast, eh? OK as long a single miscast doesn't stop a 900 point Nagash, who surely pays a premium for all his plusses to cast and ability to cast eight works spells, from casting more spells. What's that you say? 

Oh.

Well, hmm, maybe it's ok as long as there is also Total Power to make it fair. What's that you say?

Oh.

Ah well, I guess they figure that they sold as many Nagash models as they thought that could, so if he is neutered, all those who bought him will need to fill those points with new stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Miscast, eh? OK as long a single miscast doesn't stop a 900 point Nagash, who surely pays a premium for all his plusses to cast and ability to cast eight works spells, from casting more spells. What's that you say? 

Oh.

Well, hmm, maybe it's ok as long as there is also Total Power to make it fair. What's that you say?

Oh.

Ah well, I guess they figure that they sold as many Nagash models as they thought that could, so if he is neutered, all those who bought him will need to fill those points with new stuff.

1/36 chance is low but when you're casting as many spells as nagash does...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grimrock said:

Ok, page 251, triggered effects. If two or more effects are triggered on a 6 then the rolling player has to pick a single effect to trigger. I believe this was written to prevent people from double dipping on effects, ie. you have two abilities so a 6 to hit gives extra attacks and a mortal wound in addition. Unfortunately as written that means if I have a defensive effect (players must reroll sixes to hit for example) and my opponent has an offensive effect (mortal wounds on a 6 for example) then my defensive effect will never work. The player rolling just gets to ignore my effect because they have their own bonus and pick their triggered effect instead of mine. Absolutely magical writing on GW's part.

My nurgle daemon army cries