AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

8 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

I hope they're smart enough to limit the advantage of lower drops to something less than guaranteeing choice of whether to go first, it's always been a terrible rule and it fits even less in a new world where they're trying to punish large units and encourage MSU. Obviously it still means something based on the fact that one of the battalions reduces drops, but I hope it's just like a "lower drops breaks ties on the roll-off for who goes first" or something like that instead of a thing that gives complete control to the lower drop player. 

I would have agreed with you before, but bringing down drops is now way easier for everyone. I think it's much less of a problem now that lowest drops goes first. I still hope they axe partial deployment of battalions though. One-drop should actually mean ONE drop.

EDIT: I say this because now going low-drops is just a decision you make, with the opportunity cost being that you miss out on command points from taking other battalions instead.

5 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Can you take more than one battalion? And does warlord mean general?

It looks like you can. I have not seen anything to the contrary.

Warlord is just the name of the battalion. It's a bad name, but it does not mean anything.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

2 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Because people want fair games. Theres a big difference between WAAC tournament lists, and casual lists you play with your friends, but matched play provides a set of rules that should make the game fair for both sides. The point of matched play is to make the game fair, which is something every kind of player wants. Even when doing variations players will often start with matched play as a base since it creates equal footing.

Starting from a baseline and tweaking up or down to fit your desired experince is much easier and much more accessible than free form free for alls.

Just see how well AoS1.0 release went down.

I love how unclear the new article is.

The warscroll battalions you know and love are for units of renown and represent a specific focus, a special leader, or additional training.

So not tournament legal or tournament legal..?

For example, if you take one Commander and two Troops to complete a Battle Regiment, you get the Unified ability, which grants one-drop deployment for the entire core battalion.

So one dropping battalions normally is now gone?

Perhaps you noticed the line from the Contest of Generals battlepack that mentioned reinforced units? These units are simply double the size of the minimum listed in their Pitched Battle profile. If the unit has the Battleline battlefield role, you can reinforce them twice, making them three times the minimum size. Now you can still run large hordes as long as you don’t exceed the available slots for reinforced units. 

• Does reinforcing a battleline twice count as 1 of your 0-4 or 2.
  • If I have a unit which is not battleline unless I take a specific number, say ardboys. Can I reinforce it once or twice since it's not actually battleline until it's got 10 models.

15 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So not tournament legal or tournament legal..?

Everything points towards old battalions being narrative only. That was one of the first rumours we heard about AoS 3 and it seems to be panning out.

16 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So one dropping battalions normally is now gone?

From the information in the community article/leaks, there is nothing to suggest that core battalions generally reduce your drops now. Only Battle Regiment seems to do this now.

16 minutes ago, Malakree said:
  • Does reinforcing a battleline twice count as 1 of your 0-4 or 2.
  • If I have a unit which is not battleline unless I take a specific number, say ardboys. Can I reinforce it once or twice since it's not actually battleline until it's got 10 models.
  • It counts as two reinforcements.
  • Wait for FAQ.

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Everything points towards old battalions being narrative only. That was one of the first rumours we heard about AoS 3 and it seems to be panning out.

Devs already said that on the frist video about 3rd

5 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Devs already said that on the frist video about 3rd

No they absolutely didnt, they just sayed that there is a big imbalance regarding WB in matched play and that there would be a fix  but they never specifically sayed they will be just narrative

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It counts as two reinforcements.

Where is this coming from (ie. is there something more than the article) because what's linked in the article just says "reinforced units" and even if it has three times minimum models it's still only one unit.

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Leader is the leader battlefield role. So any of your heroes.

Commander is exactly what it says the page we have seen: Any hero.

Sub-commander is any hero with less than 10 wounds.

Still don’t understand. So leader/commander is not your General and you can have 6 leaders/commanders?

55 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

well, seeing a playtester on twitter say (I paraphrase) that the core battalion will allow all armies to access the one drop and "have control of the 1st turn", I am afraid you'll be disappointed :/

Flip side: if literally everyone can do it, now it's not such a big deal. Especially as that battalion does have some real restrictions around it (e.g. it's not spam anything you want).

Before it was a huge problem because only a small subset could realistically do this. If something is broken and you give it to everyone, it's not actually broken anymore, back to addressing the power disparity in rules.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Erdemo86 said:

Still don’t understand. So leader/commander is not your General and you can have 6 leaders/commanders?

I just think of it as Leader and Sub-leader.

Leader is a battlefield role. It is part of the pitched battle profile.

Sub-leader is a leader with less than 10 wounds. All Leaders are sub-leaders, but not all sub-leaders are leaders.

This has nothing to do with your choice of General.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Where is this coming from (ie. is there something more than the article) because what's linked in the article just says "reinforced units" and even if it has three times minimum models it's still only one unit.

There were leaks clarifying this in this thread or the rumour thread.

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

That is correct. Leaders are not your general. This is not new: The leader battlefield role is already in the game and you can already only have 6 of them in a 2000 point game.

Commander and sub-commander are new categories that are used in the new core battalion system. They just mean "any leader" and "any leader with fewer than 10 wounds".

None of these are connected who is or can be your general.

There are now two types of battalions in Warhammer Age of Sigmar. The warscroll battalions you know and love are for units of renown and represent a specific focus, a special leader, or additional training. On the other hand, core battalions are intended to balance out the various units in exchange for distinct abilities. 

Does this mean battletome batallions are still legal?

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I just think of it as Leader and Sub-leader.

Leader is a battlefield role. It is part of the pitched battle profile.

Sub-leader is a leader with less than 10 wounds. All Leaders are sub-leaders, but not all sub-leaders are leaders.

This has nothing to do with your choice of General.

Ok now inunderstand, thank you. So the battalions are easy to field then. You can easily fit 3/4 battalions then in one army?

now only thing we need to now is can you take the same battalion more than one time?

Edited by Erdemo86

1 minute ago, AaronWilson said:

There are now two types of battalions in Warhammer Age of Sigmar. The warscroll battalions you know and love are for units of renown and represent a specific focus, a special leader, or additional training. On the other hand, core battalions are intended to balance out the various units in exchange for distinct abilities. 

Does this mean battletome batallions are still legal?

Short answer: Not in matched play

Long answer: Depends on your battlepack, but in general no theyre not legal in matched play any more

8 minutes ago, Reinholt said:

Flip side: if literally everyone can do it, now it's not such a big deal. Especially as that battalion does have some real restrictions around it (e.g. it's not spam anything you want).

Before it was a huge problem because only a small subset could realistically do this. If something is broken and you give it to everyone, it's not actually broken anymore, back to addressing the power disparity in rules.

Exactly. Part of why low-dropping/one-dropping was so good was because only a few armies could even do it. If you could once drop, the chances that your opponent would even be able to attempt to tie your drops were slim. Now every army can potentially compete in the drop race, which makes the consideration to opt-out entirely and just take extra command points and other goodies much more attractive.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I would have agreed with you before, but bringing down drops is now way easier for everyone. I think it's much less of a problem now that lowest drops goes first. I still hope they axe partial deployment of battalions though. One-drop should actually mean ONE drop.

EDIT: I say this because now going low-drops is just a decision you make, with the opportunity cost being that you miss out on command points from taking other battalions instead.

It looks like you can. I have not seen anything to the contrary.

Warlord is just the name of the battalion. It's a bad name, but it does not mean anything.

4 minutes ago, Reinholt said:

The problem is the new battalions don't even fix the problem. Many armies still have subfactions that lock them into artifacts, and also artifacts they need to take in order to function well, so they're forced into taking one of the battalions that give artifacts. There's no opportunity cost for armies that don't need the extra artifacts.

• Like 1

Just now, Ganigumo said:

The problem is the new battalions don't even fix the problem. Many armies still have subfactions that lock them into artifacts, and also artifacts they need to take in order to function well, so they're forced into taking one of the battalions that give artifacts. There's no opportunity cost for armies that don't need the extra artifacts.

This is a problem with the army books being wildly inconsistent. "Oh I have specific artifacts I want!" is also a pretty minor class of problems as books go, as opposed to "Oh most of my units are insanely overpointed" like Slaanesh or "Oh they clearly didn't understand my core rules or adjust them for the new updates so a core feature of my army, terrain placement, is often literally unworkable. Also my units are also insanely overpriced" which is Sylvaneth.

I think you have to judge the core rules as they are, and not ask the basic ruleset to fix absolutely jacked up design for some of the army books. Those need to be fixed with better army books, not band-aids in the core rules that create a leaky foundation.

Which is to say I agree with you, but really, the problem is the army book design.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Short answer: Not in matched play

Long answer: Depends on your battlepack, but in general no theyre not legal in matched play any more

We are not sure about that

For how it is written in the article it even seems they are legal

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There were leaks clarifying this in this thread or the rumour thread.

Ahh from the way you said it I did wonder if there was clarification from somewhere else.

Man did shooting armies get a massive boost from this though...

EDIT: Actually holy God's did smashing and bashing just become insanely good...

Edited by Malakree