AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

If GW are going to tell us why new special rules make units good, they might want to start by explaining what those rules are. What are Enhancements?

image.jpeg.01cc2ee51d3c900a32c98dc735a8f263.jpeg

Anyway looks like auxiliary objectives are now called Grand Strategies.

What this article tells me is no new Slaves battletome or warscroll changes in the near future.

Edited by PrimeElectrid

4 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

it is still possible that there will be a difference between these "starting CP" (generated at the start of the round) and "other CP" (from the general, hero action and so on) generated in each players' hero phase.

I kinda doubt they would make players keep track of two different types of command points when they say they are streamlining things. 

5 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

What this article tells me is no new Slaves battletome or warscroll changes in the near future.

Could be a big day 1 (or somehting) FAQ

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

If GW are going to tell us why new special rules make units good, they might want to start by explaining what those rules are. What are Enhancements?

Yea just read the article and it is very much pointless. There are vague reference to things being good due to new core rules we know nothing about. As for the army itself they just point out the obvious we already know, "this army good, because it can also use the same generic commands as everyone else", wow thanks for the insight Mr. Playtester man, woe is me without such superior deductive skills.

The only things that made me think a little bit about some combos is how all the "hero phase" commands was sort of annoying before, but now they serve a purpose by making room for something else in the combat phase due to no stacking in the same phase.

That and I might just use my fomorid crusher sometime, the rampage rules can be quite ok to get if it now counts as 5 model as well according to the rumor. Knowing GW they will then overcost it again and make it useless though ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ragest said:

Do people really think any lumineth player with more than 2 matches played is going to risk his unit of sentinels just to make 2-3 (4-5 with 20) mw to the unit that is charging?

People must stop posting such bs

No risk if you’re behind a warden screen (which you will be) 

Are we still pretending Sentinels aren’t OP? (and most likely more so now)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

image.jpeg.01cc2ee51d3c900a32c98dc735a8f263.jpeg

This stuff about Enhancements, the confirmation of secondary objectives and the following line seem to be the most intersting things in the article:

The Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount’s ability, The Knights of Chaos, is a great example. It lets you re-roll charges and adds 1 to rolls to hit, but it’s applied during the hero phase, allowing you to use All-out Defence on the same unit in the combat phase.

So apparently you cannot give a unit more than one command per phase.

15 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Shooting should be stronger. That’s how warfare has evolved and this is a war game. 

By that logic, AoS should still be a rank-and-file game since it's been the dominant organisation for most of human warfare and only evolved past it at the end of the 18th century. 

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

This stuff about Enhancements, the confirmation of secondary objectives and the following line seem to be the most intersting things in the article:

The Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount’s ability, The Knights of Chaos, is a great example. It lets you re-roll charges and adds 1 to rolls to hit, but it’s applied during the hero phase, allowing you to use All-out Defence on the same unit in the combat phase.

So apparently you cannot give a unit more than one command per phase.

Oh good catch on that last line. That's useful information for sure.

14 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Honestly, while Sentinels benefit from Unleash Hell, we should be more concerned about Freeguild Handgunners, who get to do the same thing twice, have a better attack profile and don't even need a screen:

Save    Sentinels    Handgunners
2+ 4.22 7
3+ 4.75 10.5
4+ 5.28 14
5+ 5.81 17.5
6+ 6.33 21
- 6.33 21

This is at point parity and without buffs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Honestly, while Sentinels benefit from Unleash Hell, we should be more concerned about Freeguild Handgunners, who get to do the same thing twice, have a better attack profile and don't even need a screen:

2+ 4.22 7
3+ 4.75 10.5
4+ 5.28 14
5+ 5.81 17.5
6+ 6.33 21
- 6.33 21

I’m just worried about shooting as a whole sadly, my little Blood Warriors just waddle up the board and get shot  😢

• Sad 3

29 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

They are not, is just that in their hands are OP. IS incredible there still are some lumineth and seraphom players that try to convince others their factions arent broken

Edited by peasant
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, JonnyTheKing said:

I’m just worried about shooting as a whole sadly, my little Blood Warriors just waddle up the board and get shot  😢

I'm getting flashbacks of when I used to play Khorne... I hope it gets better for you guys soon :(

7 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

2+ 4.22 7
3+ 4.75 10.5
4+ 5.28 14
5+ 5.81 17.5
6+ 6.33 21
- 6.33 21

Mad. Potentially in one round, they can fire 3 times?!! What are they using? 19th century rifles?

I mean, how many FAQs will need to land on day one release? Some factions/units will be utterly unplayable, like the FG Handgunners.

Or GW won't, and it will be utter chaos until GW rush out new battletomes for each faction (and then another battletome 12 months later because they got the first 3.0 battletome wrong - please see HoS for details 😛).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Honestly they are one of if not the best unit in the game (borderline wrong design), but the rest of the tome its fair and well written (maybe teclis is strong, but behind the price tag and its weaknesses i find him pretty balanced)

Back in topic lets not call doomsday, certanly some thing need to be clearer, like pink horrors (this will break tzeech even more) or freeguild handgunners

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Yondaime said:

Back in topic lets not call doomsday, certanly some thing need to be clearer, like pink horrors (this will break tzeech even more) or freeguild handgunners

I'm wondering if these supposed new unit reinforcements will limit pink horrors. They'll be considerably less brutal in units of 10 (but still very strong)

8 minutes ago, Mcthew said:

Mad. Potentially in one round, they can fire 3 times?!! What are they using? 19th century rifles?

I mean, how many FAQs will need to land on day one release? Some factions/units will be utterly unplayable, like the FG Handgunners.

Or GW won't, and it will be utter chaos until GW rush out new battletomes for each faction (and then another battletome 12 months later because they got the first 3.0 battletome wrong - please see HoS for details 😛).

I mean they already have announced that GHB with army faqs and updates will be launching in conjunction with new rules.  So I think we can safely say there will be extensive faq sheets pushed out for every army.  Even GW will know the new rules break a lot of units.  There are going to be big faqs for every army... Now how much are they going to miss day 1?  Knowing GW, plenty.  But I think we can trust that a decent portion of the unit specific loopholes we are all seeing right now will be resolved in some way in the GHB/faqs.  Speculating on which ones will be left is a complete ****** shoot.  I have no doubt plenty will be missed, but knowing which ones is totally unknown.  Like I am sure there will be some sort of exception placed on unleash hell.  So lets just remember that all of these crazy rules changes are coming with a complete pt rework and army faqs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Enoby said:

I'm wondering if these supposed new unit reinforcements will limit pink horrors. They'll be considerably less brutal in units of 10 (but still very strong)

The Gravelords tome also contained the term "replacement unit", which so far has no mechanical meaning. But it might hint at the idea that for certain resurrection-related mechanics, some units or models will be treated as being the same entity as ones that were previously destroyed/slain. This might be a blanket mechanic that prevents stuff like resurrecting a unit when you already did so previously and the replacement is still on the field, and it might let you inherit battlefield roles unlike current summoning.

If we get this kind of mechanic, I could imagine Blue Horrors being replacement models for Pink Horrors, which would make it so that you can't resurrect a Pink while the Blues it split into are still on the field. That would certainly curb the problem potential of Pink Horrors when combined with Rally.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Also Unleash Hell sounds much weaker already. Given that you can only use it once in a phase, And you also have to make sure you keep a command point around to use it. 

I think it’s going to be better or worse depending on how CP intensive certain armies are

46 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

It's fun to banter about factions but overdone and it gets obnoxious.

Especially since most of us probably haven't got that many games during the pandemic to judge them in person. most of us are probably a year out of practice and working on internet assumptions. I know some people do zoom leagues but I would still bet the vast majority of us are still homebound.

I don't doubt they are probably strong, but it seems really repetitive when I haven't even been able to get a game since last march.

7 hours ago, Enoby said:

Pitched battle Profiles and Unit Size: Unit Maximums have now been removed but Reinforced Units have been introduced, as well as a limit of Reinforced Units in Marched Play. "Single" has been introduced as a keyword for Pitched Battle Profiles. "Single" Units cannot be Reinforced."

More detail on this one:

"Reinforcements are 4 max in a 2000 point army. Take a unit from 10 - 20 is 1 reinforcement. Battleline units can be reinforces 2 times. None battleline only 1 time."

• Thanks 3