AoS 3 New Rules Discussion

Kruleboyz have MW allegiance ability just like Lumineth to cause MW on 6+ or 5+? Ugh, even if it's on to wound, this is definetly too much MW for this game. I guess they have no new creative ideas to throw around, so let's make new units with always reliable MW DPS, and then later throw in some factions with allegiance ability that ignores MW on a 4+, that will spice things up.

5 hours ago, Chikout said:

@Joseph Mackay Just porting this over from the other thread. Removing melee ranges would necessitate rewriting every warscroll. It's much easier just to adapt the current rule. "In order to attack with a melee weapon, a model must be in range of the target unit or within half an inch of a another model from the same unit which is in range." I'm no rules writer but that would probably work. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see until they show us the combat section of the rules. 

I like that adaption. It would make pile ins less obnoxiously fiddly and take away most of the threat of piling in out of coherency. Would also speed up the fight phase as you can easily see who is engaged directly and then just count up who is adjacent to/behind them. 2" ranges would still have a benefit of getting a third rank in as Neil said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golub87 said:

To be perfectly honest, I do miss square basses and movement trays. WHFB battles felt like... well, battles.

I can easily live with not seeing another noodle formation ever again.

I would also like to see rules where slain models are removed starting from the ones closest to the attacking unit. Now that would give some bite to flanking attacks. It would also be very deadly for thin formations if you can hit them with something powerful with small footprint (like a monster) and split them in half.

If only something is done about shooting (-1 if shooting at any units within 3" of your own units, -1 if LoS is drawn trough your own unit, engaged shooters can't shoot, any of the above) and the game might be worth playing.

While it makes sense, there was not a single rule in older editions of 40k that I hated more than the closest models being removed first. 
Its frustrating to play with, and makes attacking first an even bigger bonus because you'll be reducing your opponent's ability to strike back, plus any kind of special weapon in a unit becomes a nightmare, you can't put it too close to the front, or else it dies first, but if you put it too far back it won't be able to pile in.

• Like 5

Saves seem to be going up in general, along with easier access to +1 to save buffs. I think all the MW give an answer to many of the 2+ save units -especially for armies that have little access to rend.

Hard to say if all the MW will be a problem, but I can see some logic behind it.

• Like 1

From the Dominion Box article:

Combat Gauge

Take crucial measurements quickly, easily, and with style using this sturdy appliance, rendered using arcane processes to achieve a gold-effect finish.

AoSDaily5 Jun5 CombatGauge

If 1/2" is a crucial measurement now, maybe we will actually see a melee rule like in 40k ("Models are in range if they are within 1/2" of a model that is in range").

EDIT: Although I realize this is probably reaching a bit.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

From the Dominion Box article:

If 1/2" is a crucial measurement now, maybe we will actually see a melee rule like in 40k ("Models are in range if they are within 1/2" of a model that is in range").

We needed 1/2 " before to determine wheter we make it into combat or not :)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

Kruleboyz have MW allegiance ability just like Lumineth to cause MW on 6+ or 5+? Ugh, even if it's on to wound, this is definetly too much MW for this game. I guess they have no new creative ideas to throw around, so let's make new units with always reliable MW DPS, and then later throw in some factions with allegiance ability that ignores MW on a 4+, that will spice things up.

I mean spiderfang have this and they haven't exactly been tearing up the meta. (in fact they can get 2!!! mortal wounds on a hit roll of 5 or 6 if you manage to make the stars align)

I just don't hope we will see this for the crossbow orruks with 5+ mw effects. Lumineth is already a blight to the game due to this, the sentinels alone making support heroes without bodyguards unviable. 

It is a mechanic I wanted much less of, not more. So seems stormcast will pay a premium for armor saves which does not matter at all in the mw spam meta. 

• Like 3

I actually like the concept of coherency but instead of forcing unit coherency, GW can incentivize unit coherency like LRL Shining Company. At least it emulates the concept of formation fighting.

If you stay in formation and get charged, you enjoy +1 save.

If you charge in formation, you get +1 damage.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

I mean spiderfang have this and they haven't exactly been tearing up the meta. (in fact they can get 2!!! mortal wounds on a hit roll of 5 or 6 if you manage to make the stars align)

There is a difference, when some units gets MW on some of their attacks on their warscroll, and when the whole army gets MW for most of it attacks as allegiance ability. MW from warscrolls were somewhat rare and pricy, but now we will have 2 armies that have MW almost everywhere, while Stormcast deal a bit more of MW as well MWs are not something special anymore, just another way to deal damage, and soon there will be more ways to mitigate them specifically as well. Which is kinda... Eh?

AoSFF Orruks Jun8 Boxout3
NO. GOD NO.
You don't need to be the unit charged to use this, and you only need to be within 9" after the charge is completed, and it stacks with the Fangs of Sotek command ability.

Edited by Ganigumo
wrong seraphon subfaction
  • Like 1

Interesting that the Killaboss only has 5" move, I figured the Kruleboys would be faster.

Also Chronomantic Cogs changes are interesting. Instead of the +2 move and charge board-wide, it's only +1 charge but within 18". My knee-****** reaction is that it's a nerf. Being able to be selective might be good, but you have to put it closer now and the enemy can always try to control it etc. +1 charge is atleast 3 less than +2 move and charge, I don't know if the smaller board size is that drastic.

11 minutes ago, PJetski said:

That seems very strong. I'll reserve judgement until seeing the warscrolls and other rules, but as this works on missile weapons too, I'm afraid that AoS 3 may take an even harder steer into a ranged meta :( 

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Mortal wounds on wound rolls of 6 are fine

Mortal wounds on melee hit rolls of 6 are fine

Mortal wounds on hit rolls of 5+ from 30" away with no line of sight is not fine

Mortal wounds army wide that procs at hit, can proc with 5+ dealing damage characteristic as Mw what is? 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

NO. GOD NO.
You don't need to be the unit charged to use this, and you only need to be within 9" after the charge is completed, and it stacks with the Coatl's claw command ability.

Let's put this in context though - other command abilities are getting much more powerful, and command points won't stack through turns. With all the options to use CP on (including other charge reactions) there are real decisions that have to be made by both players in both turns, which is great.