Has anyone figured out a list in which Radukhar’s Court is effective?

Nullius

Having a hard time figuring out how to make Radukhar’s Court work. Obviously the points cost is large, and the units take up all of your hero slots with analogous, less effective versions of regular heroes. I feel like with the rest of a 2k list being filled with shambling hordes could work (particularly if there are more command points available in the new edition), but this seems extremely slow moving and difficult to maneuver aggressively. Has anyone found a good use for this massive, 700+ point “unit?”

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Nullius said:

Has anyone found a good use for this massive, 700+ point “unit?”

There is a warhammer quest game, where you could use the minis...

a fluffy zombie list maybe 🤔 some wolves and then a nice bloodknight brick 

miniwargaming had a game with the full set iirc or was it seasons of war 🧐 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Nullius said:

Having a hard time figuring out how to make Radukhar’s Court work. Obviously the points cost is large, and the units take up all of your hero slots with analogous, less effective versions of regular heroes. I feel like with the rest of a 2k list being filled with shambling hordes could work (particularly if there are more command points available in the new edition), but this seems extremely slow moving and difficult to maneuver aggressively. Has anyone found a good use for this massive, 700+ point “unit?”

I have thought a little about it since I have the minis, but nothing concrete. The best parts of the court in my opinion are Radukar, Torgillius and Gorslav. Radukar gives extra attacks, Torgillius generates CP and Gorslav can summon zombies for a command point. Zombies benefit from all these, so I would probably take a bunch of them and a unit of Direwolves to start and go from there. Next I would start looking at non-shambling threats. Maybe Blood Knights or a VLoZD, since Zombies really lack damage output.

Gorslav can also bounce wounds to dire wolves and bring them back because his rules specify summonable deadwalkers units.

the list I’ve been using looks like:

Radukar’s Court

Belladamma Volga

30 Skeletons

20 Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons

2 x 10 Dire Wolves

2 x 5 Black Knights

Basically it’s a deathball trying to deliver the grave guard into preferred targets.  I’ve run the court in smaller games and found that if you can gang up on units with Vampires and pop The Call of the Hunt it generally does the job, I tend to live and die by that combo.  All of the shrug saves on heroes have proven really useful against the Lumineth forest I’ve been running through lately, it takes concerted effort to shoot units I need off the table.  I just got the belladamma model tho so I’m looking forward to using her.  I do think a zombie horde and Vampire Lord with Spoor Tracker is better.

Edited by Andalf

I ran it as Legion of Night.  The Varskyr and Bloodborn make good ambushers.  The Nightguard hang around with Radukar and will get 4 attacks each with his command ability if they both charge.

The rest of the list was 20 Zombies, 40 Zombies, 30 Skeletons, Prince Vorhdrai and a Vamp Lord.

• Like 1

Don't they all have the vyrkos keyword?  If so, they don't gain the legion of night keyword even when you field them in a legion of night army, and thus cannot ambush.  At least, iirc that's how it works, am away from book at the moment.

46 minutes ago, Sception said:

Don't they all have the vyrkos keyword?  If so, they don't gain the legion of night keyword even when you field them in a legion of night army, and thus cannot ambush.  At least, iirc that's how it works, am away from book at the moment.

Yes, they have the Vyrkos dynasty keywords

It won’t contend with hyper efficient WAAC lists but in a ‘friends-on’ environment they are a lot of fun.

If you swap the Grave Guard for a Vengorian Lord and the Black Knights for Blood Knights I think that is about as hard hitting as I’d like to make my list.  Gives me points to play with for an endless spell or maybe the new battalions might cost points still.  I’m also thinking about splitting the skeletons into 10 man squads to threaten deep strikes and generally throw away to get better charges for my faster characters.  I still like Radukar the Beast, Annika and Kritza with a load of zombies for this play style more.

The real tactic is to put a rank of skeletons in front of Raddy the Wolf and take the charge.  There is a lot to chew through with him and the Kosargi, as well as Torgillius nearby maybe landing a -1 to hit debuff.  It all works together remarkably well and big scary units can get blunted if they aren’t careful who they target first, or done some work before combat to peel back a few of the layers of defence.  With everything else running around the board shooting this deathball isn’t a priority and there are quite a few fast support units that can jump in and tip the scales when it comes to it.  It’s not that Vyrkos do a ton of damage with one thing, but I’ve found when everything gets +1 Attack at +1 to wound (or Vampire profiles...) you can develop a lot of momentum that’s hard to stop.

Edited by Andalf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sception said:

Using that argument only Mannfredd would be able to ambush because his is the only warscroll with the Legion of Knight keyword.  Surely they gain the keyword by being included in the list.  Page 72.

9 hours ago, Sutek said:

Using that argument only Mannfredd would be able to ambush because his is the only warscroll with the Legion of Knight keyword.  Surely they gain the keyword by being included in the list.  Page 72.

I think you might have missed an important sentence on that page.  From the second column under allegiance abilities:

"If a unit already has a lineage keyword on its warscroll, it cannot gain another one.  This does not preclude you from including the unit in your army, but you cannot use the allegiance abilities for its dynasty or legion."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes.  Generic units gain your army's chosen lineage keyword and can benefit from that lineage's battle traits.  but unique units that already have a lineage keyword can't gain another, so they don't benefit from lineage battle traits unless your army's lineage matches the keyword they already have.

Didn't spot that thanks.  They probably work better in Vykros anyway but to be honest Radukar's court is not something I'm going to be looking at seriously going forward.

For a start I'd prefer to run Radukar the Beast in Vykros and you can't have both Radukars.

I’m still hell bent on making something that looks like fun to play against.  I just don’t want to be that guy who puts a big effort into the Cursed City themed board who nobody wants to play because his army is fundamentally too weak...  Here is one I tried recently:

Belladamma Volga

Radukar’s Court

Vengorian Lord

2 x 10 Dire Wolves

1 x 30 Skeletons

5 Blood Knights

It looks terrible for AoS2...  I think it would get shot of the table in most games honestly, but that’s how every single list I I’ve made since the new tome came out has.  Hoping the points changes rumoured to go up for everyone else is going to help at lewet put a pin in this worries until I’ve managed to play test some things.  It’s going to be so much fun figuring out what works, I’m so glad I bought too many boxes of everything on pre-order day! (Except blood knights... grumble grumble...)

Per the new general's handbook, The Cursed City crew is now purchased separately from Radukar the Wolf, which means you can now run the crew in an army with Radukar the Beast instead, or just no Radukar at all if you want.  RtW is priced at 150, the Cursed City Crew minus radukar is the current price minus radukar's 150.  May open up some new list possibilities.

On 6/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, Andalf said:

I’m still hell bent on making something that looks like fun to play against.  I just don’t want to be that guy who puts a big effort into the Cursed City themed board who nobody wants to play because his army is fundamentally too weak...  Here is one I tried recently:

Belladamma Volga

Radukar’s Court

Vengorian Lord

2 x 10 Dire Wolves

1 x 30 Skeletons

5 Blood Knights

It looks terrible for AoS2...  I think it would get shot of the table in most games honestly, but that’s how every single list I I’ve made since the new tome came out has.  Hoping the points changes rumoured to go up for everyone else is going to help at lewet put a pin in this worries until I’ve managed to play test some things.  It’s going to be so much fun figuring out what works, I’m so glad I bought too many boxes of everything on pre-order day! (Except blood knights... grumble grumble...)

With the GHB 2021 Radukar the Wolf is an extra hero, so you can replace him with the Beast. Then you take 20 skeletons instead of 30 and 2x 20 Zombies instead of Wolves and just summon the wolves to the table with the CA. rest as you had put it.

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine

I'm playing Vyrkos and I really want Vyrkos legion to be represented by thematic units, aspecially when they exist. So I'll deffinetly take Vyrkos Bloodborn, Zombie Ogors and Vargskyr. Others are ok, just not interested right now. And proxy Radukar the Wolf as Custom Vampire Lord, because he has right base size of 40mm. 

I do not play in tournaments. I'll just assign my own point values to every court's unit afrreing with friends. 

Itherwise I watched few battle reps with the court. It's ok if build around, but cannot say it's flexible in terms of maneuvers and strategy. Just gives you CP, some summonning, Hard to Kill Radukar due to bodyguards and... Others are just sort of ornament... Although Vargskyre, hmmm, 3D6 charge is not a joke and he is fast and furious already. Bloodborn complement with the same characteristics: speed and potentially good damage output, although fragile, but it's first-blood/ strike first strategy unit, not desighned to last long, but to pierce and fade.