AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

I am loving the krule kids, in particular their spell lore. However,  a question keeps coming up round where I’m at and we can’t seem to agree. It’s about chocking mist. Does this thing proc a 1 and done debuff to the units near it when it 1st picks the point on the battlefield, or is it a lingering AOE affect from the point declared when the spell is cast. Arguments have been made for both so I look to wider wisdom of the internets

The objective isn't to stop other factions where they are strong. That's impossible unless you are stronger on that same metric. Ie your defences or offensive power is strong enough so that they can't apply their own offensive power. That is pretty rare in AoS.

The objective should be to harry and harrass them where they are weak.

For example. The weakness of the tecnado is spell portal. The best LRL can do about that is cast with Teclis. They have two options cast two spells preventing them from layering board wide debuffs or cast at a 10 within range of unbinding. You also know the real damage comes from the battleshock test not the spell itself. So units immune to battleshock reduce the utility of the whole tactic anyway.

However being able to stop LRL magic dead is both a ridiculous and unfair standard. LRL pay a lot of their points to make magic something of a strength despite is high unreliability. Its about as reliable as is generally fair in the game imo. The test is combo breaking and KB are well equipped to do, as are SCE, BW, OBR, SBG, etc etc. 

KB are a control army and are that way by intent which means off rip they aren't going to go punch for punch no matter how you build them. You're better not trying to do that. Which is why carefully building to achieve specific BT from before the first model is selected is so important. Trying to just fight people will result in game loses where you didn't need to lose.

@Landohammer this is why Shamans are a bad warscroll. They negitievly impact your ability to play the game by making you largely stationary to get their abilities to work. And, the Sludgeraker is good because of his large buff range for multiple units, on a mobile platform that takes serious effort to remove. Sentinels don't kill him without Lambent light, which is 100% in your power to avoid. It's should basically be impossible to not remain wholly within 12" of the sludgeraker it moves faster and can run. Gutrippaz with only go between 17"-18" up the board. The raker does between 9"-14". But it might take practice to get good at managing the situation. 

Also keep in mind there is a world of difference between making a 4+/4+ -0 dmg 1 attack do mw on a 5 and making a 2+/3+/-1/dmg 2 attack into mws. The second is good in its own right so spending points and utility to make it "more good" while consistent with Orruks, might not be worth it to the master generals participating in this thread. 

On gobsprakk I did say maybe he isn't worth it. 🤷🏾‍♂️ But, sometimes you make compromises to get the thing you need. What is good about gobsprakk is how flexible he is. He can be a completely different piece one game to the next. That makes him high skill cap, not bad per se.

There is a distinction between being aggressive about engagement and aggressive on the board. KB need to be the later which often will mean letting the opponent kill stuff. But, it needs to be the stuff you want them to kill. Which is why Rippas are a bad screening unit, giving broken ranks to the enemy for doing what they were going to do anyway is poor strategy. Regardless of their ability to do the actual job. 

@Ganigumo your description of the meta is largely accurate. But, your analysis is leading you to a faulty conclusion. Archaon is Archaon he can't be anything else, you on the other hand have the option to be anything else so why try and be a worse Archaon? It's better to build so that Archaon kills things like he will but so those losses don't bother you. That is why you attack his ability to score points rather than his attack his ability to kill or survive things. 

@Zorki the goblin stuff has legs but I generally prefer to stay in faction lately as keyword soup is a thing. The Wolf Riders are decent but I'd probably find more use for them in an army that was meant to be charging a lot. But, they definitely are just a good unit and warscroll so people should take them if they find them useful in game. 

While goblins might be "better" the key to a hobgrots is that they don't cost anything in game terms. The shooting is incetendal.

@LandohammerI'm mostly playing BW at the moment as I play LRL which are very similar to KB, I enjoy having a large amount of warscrolls and abiltieis, and I have a rogue idol an I want to swing around 😅. But, it's a playstyle I've played for the better part of 20 years across a lot of different editions and factions. So I'm used to redlining units and using them in ways which aren't necessarily obvious or even logical on the surface.

But also, it would be odd if a contrary way of thinking resulted in a similar list wouldn't it? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sivyre said:

Has anyone here try playing 2 mirebrute troggoths?

I'm pondering buying a 2nd to run but hesitant to do so and figure I would ask what your thoughts are…

I am strongly considering it. I wish I had bought a second breakaboss instead of Dobby. I feel like we have enough support units and lack boots-on-the-ground-combat units.

The breakabosses are just an all around solid warscroll and, unlike the rest of our army, they function absolutely fine on their own without support. Its refreshing to have  a unit that can just walk onto an objective without an entourage. The vulcha boss is the same situation. 

Played my first games with double rogue idols in Kruleboyz this week end in a 1 day event and they are really potent! Noisy racket make them super tanky for 1 battleround. It feels its got the movement tricks they used to have in Bonesplitterz (RIP) between suppa sneaky, sneaky miasma, alpha beast pack My only loss was to a 4 megagargant list with 3 artifacts and this was just due to dice rolls. I felt the list answered really well the SoB meta. Also super happy to get second best sport at the event. Love how the list does its thing but does not offend my opponent doing it. Everything dies if enough pressure is applied, the army lets my opponent play his game,  it s not SoB

List was

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Big Yellers
- Grand Strategy:hold the line
Triumphs:inspired
Unique enhancement: Disappearin Act
Leaders
Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof (170)*
- General
Supa sneaky
Killaboss on Corpse-Rippa Vulcha (240)*
Amulet of destiny
Fastun
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)*
Spell lore; Sneaky miasma

Battleline
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
10 x Gutrippaz (180)*
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)*
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)**
Rogue Idol (430)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Alpha beast pack
Total: 1975 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114
Drops: 3

• Like 2

Quick question folks (and my apologies if this has already been asked): 

the spell Choking Mist. Does it tag every unit within six and give them -1 attack until you next hero phase? Or does it create a six inch radius zone on the table in which all models are at -1 attack for as long as they are within the zone. Because this dramatically changes how the spell is played and I have to say the wording is unusually confusing for AoS.

certainly a cloud of mist would seem to hang around one zone, but a casting value of 7 suggests the designers consider the spell powerful, which would favor the idea that it’s an instant effect, affecting every unit near the point of impact at the time of casting. (Though not necessarily units that enter that zone later on).

how are you guys playing this one? 

Edited by Nullius

1 hour ago, Nullius said:

Quick question folks (and my apologies if this has already been asked): 

the spell Choking Mist. Does it tag every unit within six and give them -1 attack until you next hero phase? Or does it create a six inch radius zone on the table in which all models are at -1 attack for as long as they are within the zone. Because this dramatically changes how the spell is played and I have to say the wording is unusually confusing for AoS.

certainly a cloud of mist would seem to hang around one zone, but a casting value of 7 suggests the designers consider the spell powerful, which would favor the idea that it’s an instant effect, affecting every unit near the point of impact at the time of casting. (Though not necessarily units that enter that zone later on).

how are you guys playing this one? 

Without it saying to place a token it would be 1 and done that is just how spells in Warhammer work by default. If he had a spell that said pick a point and everything took d3 mortal wound it would be assumed it was one and done and not a token that was placed that did d3 mortals whenever something walked into range..

Untill it's FAQ I wound play it like any other spell 1 and done tag the units then give them the debuff till the next hero phase

2 hours ago, Ajmaus said:

..Untill it's FAQ I wound play it like any other spell 1 and done tag the units then give them the debuff till the next hero phase

Yeah that would seem to make the most sense. The wording is annoyingly ambiguous, but I think your interpretation is correct. Very powerful spell, btw. Making a zone of -1 attack probably would have felt cooler and more interactive, but I think your version is probably right.

18 hours ago, azdimy said:

Allegiance: Kruleboyz

[...]
Behemoths
Rogue Idol (430)**
Rogue Idol (430)**

How can you play a Rogue Idol in Kruleboyz Allegiance? The official rules sheet from FW does not include the KRUELBOYZ keyword, therefore your army is not Allegiance Kruleboyz.

What do I overlook here?

31 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

How can you play a Rogue Idol in Kruleboyz Allegiance? The official rules sheet from FW does not include the KRUELBOYZ keyword, therefore your army is not Allegiance Kruleboyz.

What do I overlook here?

yes , Rogue idol gained "kruleboyz" keyword recently .

You can check in AoS app : Expansion >Monstrous Arcanum >Warscrolls >Behemoth

mostly out of interest, I don't think I would play it. But, anyone having experience with Kragnos in Kruleboyz lists? 

Furthermore, what is your experiences on reliability of Kruleboyz? At first, I figured they might be quite unreliable on the damage front, since they mostly require 6's (or 5's) for their mortal wounds. But, more and more, I feel like you are also paying for a certain reliability in their damage. While you are fishing for 6's, the damage output generally doesn't depend on the opponent you are fighting against, since you aren't dealing with saves and the like. It doesn't matter if you are fighting a clanrat or an annihilator with shield, you know what you are capable of. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Thanks! What a great deal. Love that model and just recently started Kruleboyz.

Yep they were given the Kruleboyz keyword but they do not benefit from the Venom encrusted weapons rule because they lost the Orruk keyword in exchange. Everything else is fair game however and they now only start degrading after 9 wounds which is a big deal!

Edited by azdimy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

That is beyond utterly lame :P

Yes, I would love to bring her into Warclans, but sadly no longer possible.  I have a Troggoth army, so she does still have a home there at least and I can add the Mirebrute and Marshcrawler to them as well, so I can't really complain.

Gutrippas continue to disappoint. In 10's, in 20's; with venom, with croc; they just don't do anything and never make back their bloated points cost. One mediocre-poor roll and they're screwed. I'm considering just removing all of them, replacing them with 3 units of bolts and tons of hobgrots. If I'm going to have a unit that just sits there and dies, at least it'll be 100 points cheaper, and maybe I can insert a couple more mirebrutes (the true paragons of the faction).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mutton said:

Gutrippas continue to disappoint. In 10's, in 20's; with venom, with croc; they just don't do anything and never make back their bloated points cost. One mediocre-poor roll and they're screwed. I'm considering just removing all of them, replacing them with 3 units of bolts and tons of hobgrots. If I'm going to have a unit that just sits there and dies, at least it'll be 100 points cheaper, and maybe I can insert a couple more mirebrutes (the true paragons of the faction).

I am finding the same thing...they give up broken ranks like its their job and are ok-ish and only when fully buffed. Also you can't re-poison buff them in combat. I am getting even more hype on the hobgrots recently, which sucks bc id love for the gutrippas to be good

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Oreaper84 said:

I am finding the same thing...they give up broken ranks like its their job and are ok-ish and only when fully buffed. Also you can't re-poison buff them in combat. I am getting even more hype on the hobgrots recently, which sucks bc id love for the gutrippas to be good

If they dropped to 160pts I'd be ok with them. I've had more luck with 10 man units than the 20 man blobs that people are swearing by, but I need more practice maneuvering them. I always seem to get them charged instead of controlling when they get into combat and that's my biggest issue.

ran a list with 3 units of hob grots a couple of nights ago and they continue to do their job perfectly - which is being a speed bump/screen or holding some back objectives. I love those little guys.

• Like 1

the 20 man blobs are mostly to try to get off a good alpha with the kruleboyz WAAAGH! while fitting into battle regiment. running hobgrot screens and other damage dealers like mirebrutes may be better, but you're increasing your drops by doing that and won't be able to fit into battle regiment.