AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

people are picking 2 blobs of 20 rippas mostly because they can Waaagh someone with them, 9 boltboyz in 1 unit is easier to buff and use UH on them. KB are slow and have poor armor, i think the whole point of army is to try to keep them alive as long as you can (distraction with trogboss, mork eye pebble, cover in mud, 24' mist to reduce attacks of nearby units, belcha banner against magic, screens, etc) while they are doing mortal wound. Another point is they are dying to stuff other armies dying as well (sentinels, snakes, seraphon, god casters, )Also lets not forget this is their first battletome they have a long way to go.

30 minutes ago, Karazla said:

I don't like the cover in mud. Because at most tournament you can't stand in scenery and stuff so no use. 

Was my other option dubbel 20 like the idea because of attacks.

I like gobsprak also. As a off beat threat

The good thing about Covered in mud and the Dirty tricks in General is their chosen at the beginning of the turn. 

There's terrain in your deployment an they have some range, place your units in cover.

Aggressive Ironjawz list, look at deployment and decide if you want to be noisy.

Opponent deployed extremely conservatively and no action will happen in round 1? Take out a notepad and write down some traps.

Really loving the Dirty tricks.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 11:46 AM, Karazla said:

I don't like the cover in mud. Because at most tournament you can't stand in scenery and stuff so no use. 

Was my other option dubbel 20 like the idea because of attacks.

I like gobsprak also. As a off beat threat

I'm not sure I agree with you about most tournaments having all scenery being impassable...if that's the way your local events run I'm sorry. Remember, units get cover if they are behind walls and barricades, too. I really like covered in mud for my man- and beastskewerz.

13 hours ago, Predien said:

I'm not sure I agree with you about most tournaments having all scenery being impassable...if that's the way your local events run I'm sorry. Remember, units get cover if they are behind walls and barricades, too. I really like covered in mud for my man- and beastskewerz.

I don't really get cover, so if a unit is behind a piece of terrain. So let's say a wall that covers the model up to the waist as an example. That unit counts as in cover even though it's perfectly visible by the enemy units?

Alternatively what about if the wall is taller than the model? Can they still shoot even though there's a wall in front of them?

Finally 😛 If the model was to stand on the wall, providing they can do so without the base falling off, does that count as cover?

Cheers haha

On 10/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, W1tchhunter said:

I don't really get cover, so if a unit is behind a piece of terrain. So let's say a wall that covers the model up to the waist as an example. That unit counts as in cover even though it's perfectly visible by the enemy units?

Alternatively what about if the wall is taller than the model? Can they still shoot even though there's a wall in front of them?

Finally 😛 If the model was to stand on the wall, providing they can do so without the base falling off, does that count as cover?

Cheers haha

Yep. Cover just give you +1 to saves when a condition is met:

• When you are behind a terrain feature (to know if you are "behind", just imagine an stright line from the attacking model to any part of your unit base, if this line must pass over a terrain before touching any of your models, they are behind).
    Spoiler

image.png.d176851207976f9c772580a08a1e0a70.png

Zombies are going to recieve a Cover bonus if they recieve any attack from the Bottom-left boltboy. But they can't use any Cover bonus for attacks made by Top-Left Boltboy

• When you are wholly on a terrain feature
    Spoiler

image.png.ddbead22f0e15ef2c32e04b4c18bff99.png

Plague Lord is not wholly on the tarrain set, but the Idoneth will recieve the Cover bonus no matter what.
    Remember that Sigmar Temples, stairs, etc... count as a Terrain Feature, so just moving a bunch of Covered in Mud Boltboyz over that flat Sigmar temple means that they are going to be invisible for any ranged spell/attack/ability (they can be charged or targeted by abilities that don't need any LoS btw...)

Remember that units with 10+wounds can't recieve any Cover bonus and if any of your units charge, they lose any possible Cover bonus too. Another thing to take in mind is that Garrisoning a Defensible Terrain Feature will not grant Cover, instead, your unit will recieve +1save/-1 to be hit that has nothing to do with Cover bonus (that's diferent from AoS 2.0).

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Yep. Cover just give you +1 to saves when a condition is met:

• When you are behind a terrain feature (to know if you are "behind", just imagine an stright line from the attacking model to any part of your unit base, if this line must pass over a terrain before touching any of your models, they are behind).
      Hide contents

image.png.d176851207976f9c772580a08a1e0a70.png

Zombies are going to recieve a Cover bonus if they recieve any attack from the Bottom-left boltboy. But they can't use any Cover bonus for attacks made by Top-Left Boltboy

• When you are wholly on a terrain feature
      Hide contents

image.png.ddbead22f0e15ef2c32e04b4c18bff99.png

Plague Lord is not wholly on the tarrain set, but the Idoneth will recieve the Cover bonus no matter what.
    Remember that Sigmar Temples, stairs, etc... count as a Terrain Feature, so just positioning a bunch of Covered in Mud Boltboyz over that flat Sigmar temple  means that they are going to be invisible for any ranged attack (they can be charged or targeted by abilities that don't need any LoS btw...)

Remember that units with 10+wounds can't recieve any Cover bonus and if any of your units charge, they lose any possible Cover bonus. Another thing to take in mind is that Garrisoning a Defensible Terrain Feature will not grand Cover, instead, your unit will recieve +1save/-1 to be hit that has nothing to do with Cover bonus (that's diferent from AoS 2.0).

Wow thanks alot for that! Very easy to understand 😌

• Like 1

Hi guys! I got yet to reach my 2k points, but I still got a big question:

While list building, I find that my lists might all have the same problem: poor board control. My lists always are built around a snatchaboss, 2 units of gutrippaz (1 reinforced), a double reinforced unit of boltboyz and a shaman. The rest is fluff (hobgrots, troggoth...). With this setup I feel like we might struggle to cover the board and play the objective game. We got only a big bobble formed by the snatchaboss with like the 65-75% of the army around there. 

Do you think this is a real issue for us? How do you face it? I don't have that much experience in Aos to know it

I used the dominion boxes to get 1x9 boltboyz and 2x20 gutrippaz, however the new boltboyz box has a banner for the leader that the dominion boltboyz don't have and I am now worried that the gutrippaz will release special models to represent the musicians and banner in the gutrippaz units that they don't have in the dominion box. I feel more then a little cheated about this.

1 hour ago, Vastianos said:

I used the dominion boxes to get 1x9 boltboyz and 2x20 gutrippaz, however the new boltboyz box has a banner for the leader that the dominion boltboyz don't have and I am now worried that the gutrippaz will release special models to represent the musicians and banner in the gutrippaz units that they don't have in the dominion box. I feel more then a little cheated about this.

The Gutrippaz box is already out, and it does have models for the musician and banner. Yes, I agree it's really crappy of GW to release units that don't have free upgrades included. But it seems to be a common pattern for the kits in starter sets the last few years. The 8e 40k starter Intercessors didn't have grenade launchers which were free at the time, and easy build Stormcast units in previous AoS starters didn't have things like Grandhammers that were free upgrades too.

At least Dominion unit sizes were correct. Previous AoS starters regularly had things like 3 Retirbutors in the box which only came in units of 5, and similar for Nighthaunt units.

Edited by Stux

11 hours ago, Vastianos said:

Yeah, it's bad. But, they're easy to proxy. I used spare hobgrot horns and banners for the gutrippaz. I'd reckon they are cooler: you can give them the spear, and strap the banner on their back. Now they don't uselessly stand around with just the banner

Edited by Abstract_duck

2 hours ago, Abstract_duck said:

Yeah, it's bad. But, they're easy to proxy. I used spare hobgrot horns and banners for the gutrippaz. I'd reckon they are cooler: you can give them the spear, and strap the banner on their back. Now they don't uselessly stand around with just the banner

This is not a bad idea seeing as the hobgrots aren't very appealing regardless.

So I tried a game against a Nagash and blood knights list with a list inspired by the plasticcraig article, with perhaps a bit less minmax:

Sludgeraker, Breakaboss, 2xshamans, 2x20 rippaz, 9 boltboyz, 10 hobgrots, 1 killbow.

I got to say I rolled rather well, but damn the output this can do. Spiking rolls can be horrifying and even though Nagash put a -1 attacks on my center rippaz group, I somehow rolled 5 6s out of 8 attacks on a unit of bloodknights to deal 10 MW's thanks to the Sludgeraker. I guess the look of dispair in your opponents eyes at that point is what Kruleboyz are all about.

The Boltboyz did a lot of work and had the room to do it, thanks to the big blocks of Rippaz. The Mirebrute held a flank rather well, for 180 pts he is awesome. While the Sludgeraker called the Waaagh to annihilate just about everything between himself and the 2 bugged units of rippaz, even if one was debuffed and the other had lost 8 from the first attacks and spells from Nagash.

Won the game quite confidently, however as I was quickly sort of boxed in, if the counter punch had not been so devastating, the list would be hard pressed to push out, like a pseudo Teclis castle, with cool hobos instead of poncy elves. 

My main concern was exactly that, mobility and also bravery, with 2 units fighting, usually 1 needed inpsiring presence to not take a lot of expensive losses. Due to this, I think a Boss on bird could be good, although I am not sure exactly how to fit him. I do not really want to ditch my breaka boss, but if I take him and a bird, I will sit at a 3 drop instead... a bird boss would however sort of solve some mobility and bravery issues. Sacrificing the single killbow for a boss on foot might be worth it, but not sure...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

So I tried a game against a Nagash and blood knights list with a list inspired by the plasticcraig article, with perhaps a bit less minmax:

Sludgeraker, Breakaboss, 2xshamans, 2x20 rippaz, 9 boltboyz, 10 hobgrots, 1 killbow.

I got to say I rolled rather well, but damn the output this can do. Spiking rolls can be horrifying and even though Nagash put a -1 attacks on my center rippaz group, I somehow rolled 5 6s out of 8 attacks on a unit of bloodknights to deal 10 MW's thanks to the Sludgeraker. I guess the look of dispair in your opponents eyes at that point is what Kruleboyz are all about.

The Boltboyz did a lot of work and had the room to do it, thanks to the big blocks of Rippaz. The Mirebrute held a flank rather well, for 180 pts he is awesome. While the Sludgeraker called the Waaagh to annihilate just about everything between himself and the 2 bugged units of rippaz, even if one was debuffed and the other had lost 8 from the first attacks and spells from Nagash.

Won the game quite confidently, however as I was quickly sort of boxed in, if the counter punch had not been so devastating, the list would be hard pressed to push out, like a pseudo Teclis castle, with cool hobos instead of poncy elves. 

My main concern was exactly that, mobility and also bravery, with 2 units fighting, usually 1 needed inpsiring presence to not take a lot of expensive losses. Due to this, I think a Boss on bird could be good, although I am not sure exactly how to fit him. I do not really want to ditch my breaka boss, but if I take him and a bird, I will sit at a 3 drop instead... a bird boss would however sort of solve some mobility and bravery issues. Sacrificing the single killbow for a boss on foot might be worth it, but not sure...

Do you think it'd work to combine a fast 'un breakaboss or perhaps even Sludgeraker, with a super sneaky'd in gutrippa group? Or, if you don't really need the extra damage/bravery save, just the gutrippa's. Best case scenario you might even let some units disappear to get to their weak spots with a raker, troggoth or bird right away.

or perhaps even a group of hobgrots to sneak into the back range and steal a few VP's, forcing the opponent to your side to make up the VP's. the bad side would be that you have to use it the first turn. 

Other than that, I feel like the Kruleboyz are very much a counter-charge faction, mostly using strong one shot abilities to set the counter up, or forcing the opponent's hand via ranged power (which, of course, isn't going to work against factions with stronger range) 

Edited by Abstract_duck

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

What ho chaps. 2 quick questions:

Are blocks of 9 Boltboyz any good?

Do the Hobgrots in the Dominion box have banners etc.?

Cheers!!

Yes, 9 Boltboyz are good, especially with Poisons and All Out Attack.

Yes, Dominion Hobgrotz are the exact same models as the new box, complete with musicians and banners.

• Like 1

Hello,

Do you think Mannok Da Kunnin' is worth it to include in a standard big Yellers army ? (Something like 2 shaman / 1 sludgeraker / 2x6 or 1x9 boltboyz / 1 breaka boss..) + if he's the army leader we have 1 + 1(if roll right) Dirty trick ok but we loose 1 command trait like Supa Sneaky etc.. 

Personnaly including Mannok looks good but not in army leader.

What do you think ?

26 minutes ago, Zorki said:

Hello,

Do you think Mannok Da Kunnin' is worth it to include in a standard big Yellers army ? (Something like 2 shaman / 1 sludgeraker / 2x6 or 1x9 boltboyz / 1 breaka boss..) + if he's the army leader we have 1 + 1(if roll right) Dirty trick ok but we loose 1 command trait like Supa Sneaky etc.. 

Personnaly including Mannok looks good but not in army leader.

What do you think ?

I plan to buy harrowdeep just to add mannok in.

where I was playing 30 guttripaz I will soon only play 20 with mannok replacing the other unit of 10. However mannok will never be the general because I dont think it’s worth the risk to only add +1 (50%) to  get the 2nd dirty trick.

I still much prefer my general to be the sludgraker for the command trait, higher wound count, and can take an artefact.

Edited by Sivyre