AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

5 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Just played a 3 game, 2000pt tourney. List was Gnashtooth, Swamp Calla, Breakaboss, 30 gutrippaz, 6 bolt boys, 6 bolt boyz, and a Gate Breaker mercenary.

Game 1 vs Tempest Eye

I gave him first turn and he rushed me. Between tempest eye and Ghur mage and some high charges he reached my lines on top of 1 :( . His shooting wrecked my bolt boys. My gutrippaz bounced off his screens. Gatebreaka made up for it and killed everything it touched (including Yndrasta and a 2+ steam tank). But he was up on objectives when time was called. Kruleboyz lose 15-18

Game 2 vs Stormcast

I was on bottom table (submarine!) and played vs a newer SC player. He was deepstrike heavy, but because of my "supa sneaky" and some good screening on my part, he had really poor deepstrike options and delayed until turn 2. This was a mistake on his part because it let me get good board control. He then proceeded to deepstrike and fail 4 rerollable charges. It was easy pickings after that. Kruleboyz win 25-8

Game 3 vs Stormcast

I was back on higher tables again. My opponent did everything right. Deepstriked his 10 Evocators 7 inches away from my Gate Breaker in an attempt to alpha him. But then he failed his rerollable 7" charge lol. Mega deleted his evocators and with 1/4th of his army dead he just couldn't keep up. I tabled him with an hour left on the clock. Kruleboyz win 29-14

I ended up placing 4th overall going 2-1.

Closing Thoughts

-Gutrippaz are not as impressive as I thought. While their massive wound count  did serve as a deterrent, they absolutely evaporated when actually engaged and only averaged about 4-6 wounds per combat. 

-Bolt boyz were amazing. I used Noisy Racket to help keep them alive and it helped. I tried "covered in mud" once but I failed all three 4+ rolls :( . Noisy racket also helps in combat tho so it seems like the superior option, especially vs deepstriking/fast armies. 

-All three characters did fine. The Breakaboss never quite hit as hard as I liked but for 180pts I still think he is a steal. The Gnashtooth with Smelly'un was quite the tank and his speed and morale buff proved critical. (the army is quite slow)

-Gatebreaker was the clear MVP, and definitely carried the army. 

Overall the I think the faction is definitely mid tier but I'm hoping the models released this past weekend will help them out. I will definitely be dropping Gutrippaz for either more bolt boyz or maybe some monsters. 

May I ask how did a third opponent deepstriked his Evocators 7'' away from Gate Breaker? I was not aware they can do that. As far as I know only option for 7'' deep strike Stormcast have is Lord-Imperatant deepstriking Thunderstrike unit.

6 hours ago, Landohammer said:

Just played a 3 game, 2000pt tourney. List was Gnashtooth, Swamp Calla, Breakaboss, 30 gutrippaz, 6 bolt boys, 6 bolt boyz, and a Gate Breaker mercenary.

Game 1 vs Tempest Eye

I gave him first turn and he rushed me. Between tempest eye and Ghur mage and some high charges he reached my lines on top of 1 :( . His shooting wrecked my bolt boys. My gutrippaz bounced off his screens. Gatebreaka made up for it and killed everything it touched (including Yndrasta and a 2+ steam tank). But he was up on objectives when time was called. Kruleboyz lose 15-18

Game 2 vs Stormcast

I was on bottom table (submarine!) and played vs a newer SC player. He was deepstrike heavy, but because of my "supa sneaky" and some good screening on my part, he had really poor deepstrike options and delayed until turn 2. This was a mistake on his part because it let me get good board control. He then proceeded to deepstrike and fail 4 rerollable charges. It was easy pickings after that. Kruleboyz win 25-8

Game 3 vs Stormcast

I was back on higher tables again. My opponent did everything right. Deepstriked his 10 Evocators 7 inches away from my Gate Breaker in an attempt to alpha him. But then he failed his rerollable 7" charge lol. Mega deleted his evocators and with 1/4th of his army dead he just couldn't keep up. I tabled him with an hour left on the clock. Kruleboyz win 29-14

I ended up placing 4th overall going 2-1.

Closing Thoughts

-Gutrippaz are not as impressive as I thought. While their massive wound count  did serve as a deterrent, they absolutely evaporated when actually engaged and only averaged about 4-6 wounds per combat. 

-Bolt boyz were amazing. I used Noisy Racket to help keep them alive and it helped. I tried "covered in mud" once but I failed all three 4+ rolls :( 

Really don't understand why you can completely fail dirty Tricks. Should just be a straight d3 dice roll for number of units affected.

Edited by C0deb1ue
  • Like 3

The Sludgeraker really is the difference here. That's why you'll either see him be the General with Egomaniak or getting the Amulet of Destiny. Once people realize how vital he is, they will throw stuff at him like there is no tomorrow. 

On the Vulcha, on one hand he's super cheap, but on the other the Gutrippaz need a Killboss close. I've at first ignored both the one on foot and the Gnashtooth and both are growing on me fast. The footslogger with Egomaniac & a shield is super tanky for his points and the Gnashtooth with Smelly 'Un and Egomaniak is even more tanky (or just as tanky against shooting). I can imagine successful Kruleboys lists cutting the Vulcha as they need a Killboss close to the Gutrippaz (and the rest of the army) and the Gnashtooth is 70 points cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on it, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Edited by Rachmani
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rachmani said:

The Sludgeraker really is the difference here. That's why you'll either see him be the General with Egomaniak or getting the Amulet of Destiny. Once people realize how vital he is, they will throw stuff at him like there is no tomorrow. 

On the Vulcha, on one hand he's super cheap, but on the other the Gutrippaz need a Killboss close. I've at first ignored both the one on foot and the Gnashtooth and both are growing on me fast. The footslogger with Egomaniac & a shield is super tanky for his points and the Gnashtooth with Smelly 'Un and Egomaniak is even more tanky (or just as tanky against shooting). I can imagine successful Kruleboys lists cutting the Vulcha as they need a Killboss close to the Gutrippaz (and the rest of the army) and the Gnashtooth is 70 points cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on it, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

The importance of the sludgeraker is the very reason I modified my intended list to the below. Including the murknob brings a ward against spells so a little added protection and an additional unit of hobgrotts to feed into his egomaniak. The 2nd shaman is probably not required but needed something to fill the warlord requirements, but may find some spell casting after the first round once guttrippaz are no longer a target doesn’t feel necessary to cast poison on a boltboyz MSU but who knows. Can’t choose smelly’un (not added yet) but would probably go that route and give the vulcha loud’un.

Unfortunatly the list is a 6 drop so may not necessarily always get the 2nd turn for the counter punch and early double turn.

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Big Yellers
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: 
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)*
- General
- Command Trait: Egomaniak  
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Loud 'Un
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Killaboss on Corpse-Rippa Vulcha (240)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)**
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)**
- Lore of the Swamp: Sneaky Miasma
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)*
- Lore of the Swamp: Nasty Hex
Murknob with Belcha-banna (95)**
20 x Gutrippaz (360)*
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (120)*
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)*
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)**
*Battle Regiment
**Warlord
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146
Drops: 6

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frenk_castle said:

May I ask how did a third opponent deepstriked his Evocators 7'' away from Gate Breaker? I was not aware they can do that. As far as I know only option for 7'' deep strike Stormcast have is Lord-Imperatant deepstriking Thunderstrike unit.

Thats an excellent question. I asked my local SC players and it turns out the player must have inadvertently cheated. Fortunately he failed the 7+ twice and it cost him the game and he didnt podium so no foul. Good catch. 

20 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Thats an excellent question. I asked my local SC players and it turns out the player must have inadvertently cheated. Fortunately he failed the 7+ twice and it cost him the game and he didnt podium so no foul. Good catch. 

The Lord-Imperatant lets you deepstrike one "Thunderstrike" unit with 3 wounds or less to within 7". Evocators dont have the Thunderstrike keyword though so yea he shouldnt have been able to do that. Definitely a case of misunderstanding the rule than cheating though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sivyre said:

The importance of the sludgeraker is the very reason I modified my intended list to the below. Including the murknob brings a ward against spells so a little added protection and an additional unit of hobgrotts to feed into his egomaniak. The 2nd shaman is probably not required but needed something to fill the warlord requirements, but may find some spell casting after the first round once guttrippaz are no longer a target doesn’t feel necessary to cast poison on a boltboyz MSU but who knows. Can’t choose smelly’un (not added yet) but would probably go that route and give the vulcha loud’un.

Unfortunatly the list is a 6 drop so may not necessarily always get the 2nd turn for the counter punch and early double turn.

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Big Yellers
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: 
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)*
- General
- Command Trait: Egomaniak  
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Loud 'Un
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Killaboss on Corpse-Rippa Vulcha (240)*
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Breaka-Boss on Mirebrute Troggoth (180)**
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)**
- Lore of the Swamp: Sneaky Miasma
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)*
- Lore of the Swamp: Nasty Hex
Murknob with Belcha-banna (95)**
20 x Gutrippaz (360)*
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)*
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (120)*
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)*
*Battle Regiment
**Warlord
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146
Drops: 6

I think only one mount gets a mount trait, unless you 'buy' a second with Warlord.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

I think only one mount gets a mount trait, unless you 'buy' a second with Warlord.

I cannot find a ruling in the core rules that states that - can you point me in the right direction

27.3.8 only mentions no duplicates but nothing of a limit to the number you can take across the army just a limit to each applicable model

Edited by Sivyre

5 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

The section in the Warclans book about Mount Traits specifically says you only get to pick one hero to have one of the traits. I'm pretty sure the core then classifies them as an enhancement, ie you can get extras via the usual ways of adding enhancements through the relevant battalions.

Ah yeah the battle time has the restriction core rules do not thanks

Speaking of mount traits, while Fast 'Un seems so strong in general, my opinion of Mean 'Un went up a lot after my last battle. Consistently slamming in a larger number of mortal wounds before the enemy actually get to fight really helps even out poor dice rolls overall, and if you're rolling well, it turns the Sludgeraker into a bit of a bulldozer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

Speaking of mount traits, while Fast 'Un seems so strong in general, my opinion of Mean 'Un went up a lot after my last battle. Consistently slamming in a larger number of mortal wounds before the enemy actually get to fight really helps even out poor dice rolls overall, and if you're rolling well, it turns the Sludgeraker into a bit of a bulldozer.

My choices would have to be either mean’un or smelly’un one of which would be on the sludgeraker since he’s the one in the thick of it, as for the troggoth having to just be slow puts a damper on things

Edited by Sivyre

16 hours ago, Rachmani said:

Fully agree with you on the sludgeraker, he is the key that keeps the whole army kicking out insane damage. I tend to use my vulture right behind my front line to give them his buff until I use fast un to get him where he needs to be, usually after my front line takes its first charge. I definitely can see the merit of the foot slogger and gnash. Those 3+ save are so good!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Acrozatarim said:

I think that Mean 'Un isn't getting that much attention because of the Ghur battalion that stop monstrous rampage. If we end rotating to another realm in the next GHB I bet more lists will start to use it.

So I know everybody is on the hype train for big yellers but I have exclusively played grinning blades and it has done wonders for me every game. Anybody else have any luck with them?

Also quick question if gobsprakk denies a sentinel unit and he blows up there head does it stops them from casting or using the lantern to see past the grinning blades special rule?

• LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Krule Tyrant said:

So I know everybody is on the hype train for big yellers but I have exclusively played grinning blades and it has done wonders for me every game. Anybody else have any luck with them?

Also quick question if gobsprakk denies a sentinel unit and he blows up there head does it stops them from casting or using the lantern to see past the grinning blades special rule?

Its just quite matchplay dependent isn't it. Against some armies it's going to do very little or even nothing.

But if you're playing fast alpha strike or heavy shooty armies, yeah it'll be really useful!

8 hours ago, Krule Tyrant said:

After reading how awesome Skumdrekk is, I just want to play with Grinnin' Blades!!
I'm a bit sad that Skumdrekk doesn't allows any new battleline. As a rich Kruleboy with a large part of a Thondia's swamps under his control, he is mostly known for running a Hunger's Game-like company with a menagerie of strange and precious monsters. 

Common GW, 1 Marshcrawla Sloggoth could be battleline for every other Guttrippaz unit, or just give battleline to his Hobgrotz buddies!!

43 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Considering warclans can ally with Gloomspites...does it makes sense to take something from them like the Dankhold or squig Bounderz?

A unit of trolls to sit on an objective or something might be OK.

But honestly, competitively I don't think there's much you'd want to take. Gitz are not in a great place, and we're generally going to be better off taking Orruk units we have synergies with.

Other than maybe a Fungoid Cave Shaman, which I can see bringing sometimes for the CP.

15 minutes ago, Stux said:

A unit of trolls to sit on an objective or something might be OK.

But honestly, competitively I don't think there's much you'd want to take. Gitz are not in a great place, and we're generally going to be better off taking Orruk units we have synergies with.

Other than maybe a Fungoid Cave Shaman, which I can see bringing sometimes for the CP.

Found a unit of Shootas as a decent alternative to Hobgrotz too 

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Considering warclans can ally with Gloomspites...does it makes sense to take something from them like the Dankhold or squig Bounderz?

Troggs with +1 to hit from a sloggoth can be pretty nasty, and the dankhold troggboss CA gives all Troggoth units reroll 1s to hit (this includes the mirebrute and the sloggoth). So if you wanted to run a troggoth heavy list and are bringing a few mirebrutes you could bring a troggboss to give them reroll ones and still have enough ally points left over for a 3 man unit of rockguts or fellwaters. I doubt the list would be very competitive but those mirebrutes will be hitting hard.

Edit: As always fungoid cave shamans as CP batteries and to cast endless spells, or maybe a webspinner on arachnarok if we really need a +1 wizard to get off a certain endless spell...

Edited by Ganigumo
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 hours ago, Krule Tyrant said:

If i'm not mistaken, the champion is the wizard in sentinel units and the champion is also who has the bird that lets them ignore LOS. So if he takes any mortals then they are done. (great idea actually)

20 hours ago, Krule Tyrant said:

He does not blow head of Champion, unit takes casulties

obraz.png.abc4a0f43124f1df8444e27e15f3df98.png

• Thanks 1