AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

23 hours ago, Mutton said:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Ogres can't ally with any Warclans units. The Mawtribes alliance list is Gloomspite Gitz trolls only. It sucks, I know.

Aw, crud!  Thanks for pointing that out.  Guess I'll buy a couple Gorgers or a few Yhetees instead then.  Just wanted an extra trick in the Ogor bag.

4 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

The FAQ will probably just add the Kruleboyz keyword to his keywords, I doubt they will change the +1 to hit. If i'm not mistaken the Warchanter also has some buffs that work on friendly units, which looks like things they left to facilitate a cross warclan synergy for big waagh.

Sadly no bonus waagh points for having a Kruleboyz unit, looks like they aren't as good in generating waagh energy as their noise cousins.

Yup Warchanter can heal D3 wounds to a friendly unit. 3d6 Charge and + 1 dmg are IJ's keyworded though.

Also pretty sure Great Green Hand of Gork is friendly units, you could use it to teleport blocks of Gutrippaz.

I kind of like Big Waaagh, definitely going to give it a shot. Basically is trading Dirty tricks and Kruelboyz Waagh worth the swap. Planning to go Gutrippaz/Monster heavy so not sure.

2 hours ago, Horizons said:

Yup Warchanter can heal D3 wounds to a friendly unit. 3d6 Charge and + 1 dmg are IJ's keyworded though.

Also pretty sure Great Green Hand of Gork is friendly units, you could use it to teleport blocks of Gutrippaz.

I kind of like Big Waaagh, definitely going to give it a shot. Basically is trading Dirty tricks and Kruelboyz Waagh worth the swap. Planning to go Gutrippaz/Monster heavy so not sure.

and loosing Big Yellers... what is the benefit to be in Big Waaagh as Kruleboyz ? +cast, we barely cast any spells... +1 hit&wound, we fish 5 & 6 to hit AND it doesnt works on ranged attacks... 

Edited by Arkahn

1 hour ago, Arkahn said:

and loosing Big Yellers... what is the benefit to be in Big Waaagh as Kruleboyz ? +cast, we barely cast any spells... +1 hit&wound, we fish 5 & 6 to hit AND it doesnt works on ranged attacks... 

you do understand that in a big waaagh you have access to better units who benefit from those bonuses right? Sure boltboyz don’t care, but your mawcrusha, ardboyz and brutes sure do. The OP mentioned gutrippaz and even they would like the benefits, though if going big waaagh I would settle on the IJ foot troops because they’re more punchy and more survivable/resilient but o digress, heck even the kruleboyz monsters sure like those benefits too. So while boltboyz themselves specifically don’t care plenty of unit in the orruk range do.

Edited by Sivyre
  • Like 1

Gonna try out this list in the coming days. I posted it a few pages back, but never fleshed it out, so here it is in all its glory:

Kruleboys, 1500 points

Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

Triumph: Bloodthirsty

Dirty Trick: Whatever floats my boat. ;)

------

Heroes:

Killaboss with Stabgrot, 110 Points, General, Trait: Egomaniak

Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker, 315 Points, Artefact: Amulet of Destiny, Mount Trait: Mean 'Un

Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-Grot, 105 Points, Spell: Choking Mist

------

Battleline:

20 Gutrippas, 360 Points

6 Man-Skewer Boltboyz, 240 Points

6 Man-Skewer Boltboyz, 240 Points

------

Rest: 

Beast-skewer Killbow, 130 Points

Total: 1500 on the point

Edited by Rachmani
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sivyre said:

you do understand that in a big waaagh you have access to better units who benefit from those bonuses right? Sure boltboyz don’t care, but your mawcrusha, ardboyz and brutes sure do. The OP mentioned gutrippaz and even they would like the benefits, though if going big waaagh I would settle on the IJ foot troops because they’re more punchy and more survivable/resilient but o digress, heck even the kruleboyz monsters sure like those benefits too. So while boltboyz themselves specifically don’t care plenty of unit in the orruk range do.

I think he was talking about Kruleboyz only. And let's be honest, our battlelines and objective grabbers don't care a lot about Big Waagh bonuses and Kruleboyz are not that good in building Waaagh points. 

• Like 1

I bought Dominion Kruleboyz of a friend and from before I have 2x10 Savage Orruks with Stikkas. Currently looking at the rules online and in the app, still waiting for the battletome to arrive, looks like Big Waagh is the "best competitive" option if you want to run Kruleboyz. For pure lists people seems to prefer Big Yellers. Since I would like to make predominantly melee oriented Orruk army and would ideally like to run Bonespliterz solo, Kruleboyz solo and Big Waagh with combination of both what Kruleboyz subfaction after Big Yellers seems "the best"?

34 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

I bought Dominion Kruleboyz of a friend and from before I have 2x10 Savage Orruks with Stikkas. Currently looking at the rules online and in the app, still waiting for the battletome to arrive, looks like Big Waagh is the "best competitive" option if you want to run Kruleboyz. For pure lists people seems to prefer Big Yellers. Since I would like to make predominantly melee oriented Orruk army and would ideally like to run Bonespliterz solo, Kruleboyz solo and Big Waagh with combination of both what Kruleboyz subfaction after Big Yellers seems "the best"?

Grinnin' Blades, I'd say. 

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

I think he was talking about Kruleboyz only. And let's be honest, our battlelines and objective grabbers don't care a lot about Big Waagh bonuses and Kruleboyz are not that good in building Waaagh points. 

Yeah, this is fair. Big Waaagh is generally going to be a bad choice for Kruleboyz only. Not only are the benefits not as relevant, but your Waaagh point generation will be comparatively very poor - not only with not having any units that contribute to it directly, but also ranged units are very bad at generating Waaagh points.

I'm looking into Iron Jaw and Kruleboy mixed Bug Waaagh though, and I think it has potential. Maybe not in competitive play, but as something that broadly functions and won't be just hobbled by its allegiance choice for pick up games hah

In that context I'm looking at it as an Iron Jaw core that holds the centre, with Kruleboyz bringing some range and mortal wounds than the list might otherwise lack.

10 minutes ago, frenk_castle said:

Issue I have with Grinning Blades they work great against half the armies. But there are still armies with next to no shooting, practically all of Death, so against them Grinnin' Blades do nothing.

Grinnin' blades affect all abilities and spells that need a "visible target", not only ranged attacks.

14 hours ago, Arkahn said:

If you're focusing on ranged units and are not planning to mix in units from the other clans then I agree Big Waagh is a waste.

I feel the Kruelboyz have quite a good spell lore, Nasty Hex, Sneaky Miasma and Boggy Mists are all really strong.

I think Gutrippaz being so expensive and our only Battleline outside of Big Yellerz is  a little unfortunate. I find myself skipping Grinnin' Blades or Skullbugz just to have access to cheaper battlelines.

Big Waagh lets you run 85 pts Ardboys to fill battleline requirements. Great Big hand of Gork allows you to teleport an Orruk  unit 9" away. You could teleport a Breakaboss 9" Away and hero-phase move it with Fast 'un since the teleport only stops you from moving in the movement phase.

Is it better than IJ focused Big Waagh? No. Is it better than Kruelboyz allegiance? Probably not. Kruelboyz Waagh is better than the Big Waagh, we only really benefit from the + to Cast and Charge. Losing Dirty Tricks is also pretty rough.

But will I try an Alpha strike list with Super Sneaky, Big Green Hand of Gork and Sneaky Miasma. Yes.

• Like 1

Started a 1000pt Path to Glory campaign today, and got in our first battle; rolled up the Breakthrough battleplan. Noisy Racket definitely helped take the bite out of the enemy's first turn, and the 10-man Gutrippaz did some serious work while keeping within 12" of the Sludgeraker, mowing through a 20-man Mortek Guard unit and its attendant Mortisan.

The poor Sludgeraker just couldn't catch a break though. Never rolled so many 1s on attack rolls, and didn't roll a single 6 on his attacks all game :D

• Haha 2

I'm gonna try a monster-heavy list without magic, assuming the Sloggoth will get the Kruleboyz keyword in the near future. I hope the lack of shaff doesn't give a mayor disadvantage for scoring objective points. Hopefully the big units can take out enough enemies before I get overwhelmed. 

The idea is to go in hard with one of the Mirebrutes (Supa Sneaky & Fast 'Un) as a distraction and/or to take out priority targets, potentially assisted by the Killaboss. This should keep the opponent bussy/distracted so I can set up the rest of the attack and come in with the heavy hitting main force (The other Mirebrutes and Skumdrekk supported by the Sloggoth). Basic positioning for the ranged units is on friendly objectives and Gutrippaz on neutral objectives, and depending on situation the Gutrippaz can either assist the ranged units in the back or the main monster force. 

Big Yellerz
Dissappearin' Act

Killaboss on Vulcha (General, Amulet of Destiny, Supa Sneaky)
Swampboss Skumdrekk 
Breaka-boss on Mirebrute
Breaka-boss on Mirebrute
Breaka-boss on Mirebrute (Fast 'Un)

Beast-skewer Killbow

Marshcrala Sloggoth

Hunters of the Hearthlands
10x Gutrippaz
10x Gutrippaz
6x Boltboyz

Edited by Kantchill
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kantchill said:

I'm gonna try a monster-heavy list without magic, assuming the Sloggoth will get the Kruleboyz keyword in the near future. I hope the lack of shaff doesn't give a mayor disadvantage for scoring objective points. Hopefully the big units can take out enough enemies before I get overwhelmed. 

The idea is to go in hard with one of the Mirebrutes (Supa Sneaky & Fast 'Un) as a distraction and/or to take out priority targets, potentially assisted by the Killaboss. This should keep the opponent bussy/distracted so I can set up the rest of the attack and come in with the heavy hitting main force (The other Mirebrutes and Skumdrekk supported by the Sloggoth). Basic positioning for the ranged units is on friendly objectives and Gutrippaz on neutral objectives, and depending on situation the Gutrippaz can either assist the ranged units in the back or the main monster force. 

Big Yellerz
Dissappearin' Act

Killaboss on Vulcha (General, Amulet of Destiny, Supa Sneaky)
Swampboss Skumdrekk 
Breaka-boss on Mirebrute
Breaka-boss on Mirebrute
Breaka-boss on Mirebrute (Fast 'Un)

Beast-skewer Killbow

Marshcrala Sloggoth

Hunters of the Hearthlands
10x Gutrippaz
10x Gutrippaz
6x Boltboyz

Since you're not bringing shamans anyways it wouldn't be too bad to run 2x3 boltboyz instead, so you get 2 unit champions. Not sure of the math, but the +1 attack and extra reroll are probably better than all out attacking a unit of 6, plus you could fit some hobgrots in as extra bodies.

11 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Since you're not bringing shamans anyways it wouldn't be too bad to run 2x3 boltboyz instead, so you get 2 unit champions. Not sure of the math, but the +1 attack and extra reroll are probably better than all out attacking a unit of 6, plus you could fit some hobgrots in as extra bodies.

Ah, 2x3 Boltboyz is a good call! Also more flexibility for claiming objectives. 

I didn't bring any Hobgrotz (even though I should, lol) because I really don't like the models. Also I don't like playing with a ton of models (allready have a Sylvaneth army with 80+ models), another reason why I'm trying how well a monster-heavy lists goes. 

Edited by Kantchill

Just played a 3 game, 2000pt tourney. List was Gnashtooth, Swamp Calla, Breakaboss, 30 gutrippaz, 6 bolt boys, 6 bolt boyz, and a Gate Breaker mercenary.

Game 1 vs Tempest Eye

I gave him first turn and he rushed me. Between tempest eye and Ghur mage and some high charges he reached my lines on top of 1 :( . His shooting wrecked my bolt boys. My gutrippaz bounced off his screens. Gatebreaka made up for it and killed everything it touched (including Yndrasta and a 2+ steam tank). But he was up on objectives when time was called. Kruleboyz lose 15-18

Game 2 vs Stormcast

I was on bottom table (submarine!) and played vs a newer SC player. He was deepstrike heavy, but because of my "supa sneaky" and some good screening on my part, he had really poor deepstrike options and delayed until turn 2. This was a mistake on his part because it let me get good board control. He then proceeded to deepstrike and fail 4 rerollable charges. It was easy pickings after that. Kruleboyz win 25-8

Game 3 vs Stormcast

I was back on higher tables again. My opponent did everything right. Deepstriked his 10 Evocators 7 inches away from my Gate Breaker in an attempt to alpha him. But then he failed his rerollable 7" charge lol. Mega deleted his evocators and with 1/4th of his army dead he just couldn't keep up. I tabled him with an hour left on the clock. Kruleboyz win 29-14

I ended up placing 4th overall going 2-1.

Closing Thoughts

-Gutrippaz are not as impressive as I thought. While their massive wound count  did serve as a deterrent, they absolutely evaporated when actually engaged and only averaged about 4-6 wounds per combat. 

-Bolt boyz were amazing. I used Noisy Racket to help keep them alive and it helped. I tried "covered in mud" once but I failed all three 4+ rolls :( . Noisy racket also helps in combat tho so it seems like the superior option, especially vs deepstriking/fast armies. 

-All three characters did fine. The Breakaboss never quite hit as hard as I liked but for 180pts I still think he is a steal. The Gnashtooth with Smelly'un was quite the tank and his speed and morale buff proved critical. (the army is quite slow)

-Gatebreaker was the clear MVP, and definitely carried the army. 

Overall the I think the faction is definitely mid tier but I'm hoping the models released this past weekend will help them out. I will definitely be dropping Gutrippaz for either more bolt boyz or maybe some monsters. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the tournament report its always good to get those on the field reports to see how the new book is doing. from my experience with the army so far (3 games)

Gutrippaz REALLY need those sludgeraker beast buffs to do decent damage turning those 4-5 mortal wounds into 8-10 is a big deal. they can hold the line for a turn or two but they are really there just to buy time for the rest of the army to do its thing.

Also the vulcha for 240 points adds a ton of mobility especially with fast un plus two command abilities to double unleash or redeploy is super clutch. 

also what clan did you go? big yellers?

1 hour ago, Landohammer said:

Just played a 3 game, 2000pt tourney. List was Gnashtooth, Swamp Calla, Breakaboss, 30 gutrippaz, 6 bolt boys, 6 bolt boyz, and a Gate Breaker mercenary.

I really think Gutrippas are just too expensive to take more than x20 (they should be like 160 or less). They die way too easily for their cost. I had a unit of x10 almost lose to a unit of x5 spider riders. I just think they're pretty bad, even considering the buffs you can give them. You can use those points more efficiently elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Krule Tyrant said:

Thanks for the tournament report its always good to get those on the field reports to see how the new book is doing. from my experience with the army so far (3 games)

Gutrippaz REALLY need those sludgeraker beast buffs to do decent damage turning those 4-5 mortal wounds into 8-10 is a big deal. they can hold the line for a turn or two but they are really there just to buy time for the rest of the army to do its thing.

Also the vulcha for 240 points adds a ton of mobility especially with fast un plus two command abilities to double unleash or redeploy is super clutch. 

also what clan did you go? big yellers?

Yea I purchased a Vulcha after the tourney actually. He is already assembled lol. It was a tough choice between the Gobbsprak and Vulcha boss but the boss gets an artefact and mount trait and is sooooo cheap for a monster. So I am trying him first.

Me and the other Kruleboy player both went Big Yellers. With Gutrippaz being as soft as they were, the Bolt Boy battleline is hard to give up. 

12 minutes ago, Mutton said:

I really think Gutrippas are just too expensive to take more than x20 (they should be like 160 or less). They die way too easily for their cost. I had a unit of x10 almost lose to a unit of x5 spider riders. I just think they're pretty bad, even considering the buffs you can give them. You can use those points more efficiently elsewhere.

So I respect their wound count, and they can be pretty effective on turn 1 if you can trigger their shields and have Noisy Racket. But to be effective after that they really need a Boss for battleshock immunity and a Swamp Calla for poison. So that inflates their cost by another 215+pts. Adding a Sluderaker to the mix is just throwing more good money after bad. I just don't think they do anything that 10 hobgrotz wouldn't do just as well. 

I also found their Shields SUPER situational. Most of the time I needed the shields was in situations where they wouldn't trigger, like vs super killy heroes or if I was already engaged. 

Knowing what i know now, if I had to make the hardest list possible: I would bring all bolt boyz battleline and fill out the rest of the list with characters. They seem to do all the work anyway. The Sluderaker seems like an absolute wrecking ball. 

39 minutes ago, Mutton said:

I had a unit of x10 almost lose to a unit of x5 spider riders.

Pics or it didn't happen, spider riders are awful 😅 (and also very comparable to gutrippaz statwise) 

It seems like GW has modified their "point calculator" and are overpointing the value of raw wounds gutrippaz are overcosted and the bonespitterz infantry saw some pretty hefty point increases. Gutrippaz need to come down 20-30 points. Of course that wouldn't fix the part where the entire book pushes you into big yellers & boltboy battleline, or the warscroll ability that only works if they aren't in combat, or the shaman buff that can't do anything if they're in combat with something and can't be reapplied even if you retreat.

They just don't really serve a purpose, they should be what we use when we want to grind against something tough to kill on an objective or something, but their wounds aren't cheap enough and the book doesn't really give any support for that kind of play.

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

Pics or it didn't happen, spider riders are awful 😅 (and also very comparable to gutrippaz statwise) 

It seems like GW has modified their "point calculator" and are overpointing the value of raw wounds gutrippaz are overcosted and the bonespitterz infantry saw some pretty hefty point increases. Gutrippaz need to come down 20-30 points. Of course that wouldn't fix the part where the entire book pushes you into big yellers & boltboy battleline, or the warscroll ability that only works if they aren't in combat, or the shaman buff that can't do anything if they're in combat with something and can't be reapplied even if you retreat.

They just don't really serve a purpose, they should be what we use when we want to grind against something tough to kill on an objective or something, but their wounds aren't cheap enough and the book doesn't really give any support for that kind of play.

Ya know, whats strange is that I think several of the characters are a bit undercosted. The Swamp Calla and Breakaboss provide utility that is well beyond their points. And the rest of the kruleboyz characters are pretty well costed for the most part. 

Gutrippaz just kind of stand out as the black sheep of the book, especially since its so easy to bypass them completely with boltboy battleline. 

6 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Ya know, whats strange is that I think several of the characters are a bit undercosted. The Swamp Calla and Breakaboss provide utility that is well beyond their points. And the rest of the kruleboyz characters are pretty well costed for the most part. 

Gutrippaz just kind of stand out as the black sheep of the book, especially since its so easy to bypass them completely with boltboy battleline. 

Are they undercosted though? we'd definitely pay more for the shaman, but that's more because he's the only way to get access to mortals on 5s, you'd need to cost him to the point where he's unplayable for him to not show up in lists.

If the breakaboss were much more expensive you'd never take him, since literally all he provides is damage with a 5" move, sure its a lot of damage, but delivery is an issue, especially since he isn't particularly durable (12 wounds on a 4+ who hurts himself)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Are they undercosted though? we'd definitely pay more for the shaman, but that's more because he's the only way to get access to mortals on 5s, you'd need to cost him to the point where he's unplayable for him to not show up in lists.

If the breakaboss were much more expensive you'd never take him, since literally all he provides is damage with a 5" move, sure its a lot of damage, but delivery is an issue, especially since he isn't particularly durable (12 wounds on a 4+ who hurts himself)

The Swamp calla just brings a lot of utility to the board and fits into the all important Sub Commander slot. HIs warscroll spell really punishes deepstrikers and Nasty Hex/Choking Mist are crazy good debuffs. And he is also fairly survivable for a wizard at 6 wounds with a 5+. A 100pt wizard in my other armies is usually just a one trick pony. 

I am primarily a Sylvaneth and Nighthaunt player though. So its possible a decent warscroll for a decent price looks quite fantastic to me 🤣🤣😭

• Haha 1