AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

Basically its a list that tries to make the 3 big monsters as tough as possible, all 3 of them have at least some kinda ward save. I use the Gutrippaz to hold the line while trolls punch through to give me an opening.  then using the fastun trait and the monster move spell I can fly to gang up on one side of the map for a sweet waaagh. also having the sludgeraker near the birds makes them ridiculous when you start rolling 6's. I figure while our monsters are nice they cant stay in prolonged conflicts so they have to chill back picking on targets of opportunity until they can gang up on the big threats. 

Murknob and Marshcrawla are there to make sure spells dont tear up the big guys and to make sure all the monsters are operating as efficient as possible. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Greetings from a safe distance, Kruleboyz!  I have read that there might be 2 Troggoth units in your army and one or both can grant my hungry Ogors +1 to hit somehow with an aura perhaps?  Anyone know which units these are?  No free warscrolls on the GW site anymore....wasn't wanting to buy a whole tome, but that Mirebrute sure looks pretty awesome, and only $50!

Please and thank youz!

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Ogres can't ally with any Warclans units. The Mawtribes alliance list is Gloomspite Gitz trolls only. It sucks, I know.

8 minutes ago, Krule Tyrant said:

Basically its a list that tries to make the 3 big monsters as tough as possible, all 3 of them have at least some kinda ward save. I use the Gutrippaz to hold the line while trolls punch through to give me an opening.  then using the fastun trait and the monster move spell I can fly to gang up on one side of the map for a sweet waaagh. also having the sludgeraker near the birds makes them ridiculous when you start rolling 6's. I figure while our monsters are nice they cant stay in prolonged conflicts so they have to chill back picking on targets of opportunity until they can gang up on the big threats. 

Murknob and Marshcrawla are there to make sure spells dont tear up the big guys and to make sure all the monsters are operating as efficient as possible. 

How has Gobsprakk performed for you? Has he been worth it compared to another, cheaper Killaboss on Vulcha with more melee killing power?

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

Been having a think about this, I'm wondering why you would use gutripperz over hobgrots in a big yellers army. Why wouldn't you just go for something like this instead.

Hide contents

Allegiance: Kruleboyz
- Warclan: Big Yellers
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast (315)
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)

Battleline
6 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Units
10 x Hobgrot Slittaz (80)

Artillery
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133
Drops: 13

Lean into the shooting aspect, The Hobgrots provide an amazing screen with 6 units of them and your ranged potential is terrifying. It seems to be that for a big yeller army 2 units of hobgrots at 160 points are better than 1 unit of gutripperz at 180 because you can just get your battleline out of the boltboyz instead.

Your bravery 4 hobgrotts with no battle shock immunity without a kb will flee in droves and by turn 2 maybe 3 you have no table presence especially vs other ranged armies that can simply dive all their focus onto your ranged.

your boltboyz with an equally poor save and bravery will fall rather quickly to just about any army that can shoot or do magic.

hobgrotts have no combat prowess so there just a minor speed bump made less effective without a kb and your likely not going to use cp on them to stop the fleeing because your boltboyz will be needing that…

Edited by Sivyre

10 hours ago, Sivyre said:

Units of 10 are likely seen as to run off and grab/hold objectives or even act as screens themselves, same reason you see units of 10 hobgrotts.

guttrippaz in bodies of 20 there roll changes to essential body anything on the center objective where the game tends to see most play. 40 wounds is hard to move and with a sludgeraker present the shear weight of dice will fish those 6’s and the extra 1 dmg on a 6 from the support puts your opponent psychologically in a hard place. Stuff like AoD and mystic shield makes it harder to move them and your support from sludgeraker, KB, and boltboyz suddenly could swing your opponents priorities but it’s not an easy choice for them. And this is all before the fact you have a 2” reach wall where if you wrap units all your attacks are getting in for the most part with no issues from coherrancy 

hard to charge into them too with boltboyz ready to lay waste even further reducing whatever what’s to crash into them.

ive played 10 and 20 unit gutrippaz and 20 is a magic number for these guys 10 they don’t do anything 30 is way over kill and your missing attacks and of course these “wholly within” but 20 is juuuuust right - like the bowl of porridge. 
of course with all that it’s your preference and your strategy that will make either work and for me maybe I failed to make 10 and 30 work but I had a lot of success with 20

Im convinced, I'm gonna group my 2x10 into 1x20. I got Hobgrot screens anyway. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Acrozatarim said:

How has Gobsprakk performed for you? Has he been worth it compared to another, cheaper Killaboss on Vulcha with more melee killing power?

He pretty much has the same output offensively. give him finest hour and mystic shield and he can take a hit as well but you definitely don't want him to get hit without buffs. What I love about him though is his dispell messes with my opponents so bad. they have to think if casting is worth the potential damage and using heroic willpower to give him 3 denies is very tasty. Unfortunately my tzeentch opponent couldn't stop rolling 6s on his 2 lords of change so never got a chance to shine but his smaller casters were shaking in there boots which stopped his summoning for two turns of the game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krule Tyrant said:

So everyone has been talking about the ranged output of the kruelboyz but I have played three games now with melee only kruelboyz and I have had great success with this list. So far I have won against a knight of the empty throne list and a dominion stormcast list and I only lost against a tzeentch list due to messing up my battle tactics.

im sorry to point out that your list is invalid though. marshcrawla sloggoth (which the aura i assume helped alot with your games) is not a kruleboyz unit. this list wouldve needed to be big waagh to run it. besides that i love the list and will likely try it with a few alterations. im not a huge fan of the birds yet but i love taking multiple mirebrutes.

1 hour ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

im sorry to point out that your list is invalid though. marshcrawla sloggoth (which the aura i assume helped alot with your games) is not a kruleboyz unit. this list wouldve needed to be big waagh to run it. besides that i love the list and will likely try it with a few alterations. im not a huge fan of the birds yet but i love taking multiple mirebrutes.

Yeah it is obviously going to be fixed in the faq

Its even mentioned in the lore how it is a kruleboys unit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

marshcrawla sloggoth (which the aura i assume helped alot with your games) is not a kruleboyz unit.

bro is was an obvious mistake from them in the battletome, thought they fixed it in wh+ (?). You can pick Sloggoth in Kruleboyz allegiance on warcom warscroll builder .

sloggoth.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dnusha said:

bro is was an obvious mistake from them in the battletome, thought they fixed it in wh+ (?). You can pick Sloggoth in Kruleboyz allegiance on warcom warscroll builder .

sloggoth.jpg

id agree with that if it had it in the new app. if the most recent app from gw for the game doesnt have it i wont accept it until it does. i completely agree it doesnt make sense but until the WH AOS app is changed its not a legal pick. just facts until faqd.

Screenshot_20210924-205916.png

Edited by P.T.Bahnum

I want to add im not against people saying it needs to be faqd. im not saying this doesnt belong in kruleboyz because it clearly does but if its not faqd its not legal. will this stop me from buying one and painting it for big yellers? no i absolutely plan to use it once its legal but its not yet so strictly speaking im pointing out based off rules not personal opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I know its far from the competitive lists with big yellers that are mostly being discussed but I wanted to try something that plays a little more in your face and direct, and I love big monster models. The idea would be to stack durability buffs on 3 separate monsters and alpha strike all of them turn one to do a combination of early game damage and pinning the opponent's army in their deployment zone and throwing their units out of position. Here's the list:

Skulbugz, 1990pts

The alpha strike goon squad:

Swampboss Skumdrek

Killaboss on Vulcha, General, Amulet of Destiny, Fast un, Supa Sneaky

Rogue Idol

The support crew:

Gobsprakk

3xGutrippaz x10

2xHobgrott Slittaz x10

The plan is to use supa sneaky to place Swampboss Skumdrek 9" away from the enemy army at the start of the 1st, battle round, and, if I have 1st turn (its a 3 drop so I'll have the choice fairly often but not always), use fast un to hero phase move the killaboss towards the enemy army and cast sneaky miasma on the rogue idol to move that 10" up the board too (gobsprakk will have +1 to cast standing next to the rogue idol). Then in the movement phase I can move all 3 of these units into very close charge range and most likely make charges with all 3. Each of them is a monster, so will have a 50% chance to be -1 to be hit in combat, I can have finest hour activated on one of the 3, and the killaboss allows using the same command ability on 2 different units, letting me use all out attack or all out defence twice, depending on what the situation dictates, or, if I really don't want to get hit back, just pop the kruleboyz waaagh immediately to have all 3 monters fight consecutively. If I end up with 2nd turn, skumdrekk is left out in the open, but I can still give him finest hour and all out defence to stack +2 to save to keep him alive and then just proceed with the plan in my turn, with a greater chance of getting a double turn. Maybe i could switch skumdrekk to the generic boss and give him amulet of destiny instead of the vulcha boss to help alleviate this risk.

As for the dirty tricks, I can choose to either remove 1 or 2 screens or potential counter attack units with disappearing act to really open up my charge options (and force them to redeploy them awkwardly in the corner since I'll be zoning out the middle of their deployment zone with 3 big bases), or alternatively I can make my army -1 to be wounded for the first battle round for extra survivability on my monster squad. Gobsprakk mainly serves to toss out choking mist to give enemies -1 to their attacks characteristic, further improving my alpha strike team's survivability and counter magic with his unbind threat. He could also clean up some of the weak screen units that got redeployed from disappearing act if they wander close to my side of the board. The gutrippaz and hobgrotts obviously just run around and hop on objectives and screen gobsprakk from anything that gets around my alpha.

I don't necessarily think its a killer competitive list...  but also it doesn't seem bad. I've played a rogue idol mawkrusha alpha strike list with big waaagh and that can be a lot for opponents to deal with, but with the ability to double up on all out defence, be -1 to hit half the time and have 3 rather than just 2 monsters that can also fight consecutively once per battle, I think this could be an even tougher alpha strike to chew through, even if it's not as hard hitting. The run 3 units battle strategy will be an auto succeed on turn one or 2 with my objective grabbers and the unique orruks do 10 wounds without taking 10 wounds should be easy to achieve with the right target choice and/or use of the waaagh for consecutive activations, and having that many monsters should give ample opportunities to achieve the objective capturing or contesting with monsters battle tactics. Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

Sludgerakers Venom ability. Does it work on himself? 

units are friendly to themselves. yes. also to further this it affects the battletrait trigger not the model anyways and if it triggers the battletrait it would trigger the sludgeraker venom.

Edited by P.T.Bahnum

5 hours ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

I want to add im not against people saying it needs to be faqd. im not saying this doesnt belong in kruleboyz because it clearly does but if its not faqd its not legal. will this stop me from buying one and painting it for big yellers? no i absolutely plan to use it once its legal but its not yet so strictly speaking im pointing out based off rules not personal opinion.

Same thought here.

Personally I don’t really care if it is usable in a kruelboys only army, but that model does make an amazing ally for any gloomspite gitz army, considering that our biggest weakness, is that almost everything (excluding trolls) are hitting on a 4+ or worse

6 hours ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

id agree with that if it had it in the new app. if the most recent app from gw for the game doesnt have it i wont accept it until it does. i completely agree it doesnt make sense but until the WH AOS app is changed its not a legal pick. just facts until faqd.

Screenshot_20210924-205916.png

What I meant was, that outside a tournament setting, where „legal“ actually means something, you should (in my opinion) just try out the sloggoth in KB, as it will most likely be legal in the near future anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P.T.Bahnum said:

You can always talk to your opponent and expain if you can use Dobbie as a Kruleboyz. In a tournament it will a bit more dificult but you can try. Some OT will be happy to make rules a bit more clear than what we have now.

I am actually starting a path to glory campaign and picking big waaagh just to be able to add Marshcrawla sloggoth to my roster. I am not sure that it will be FAQed into a kruelboyz unit, since the buff is just allies it seems planned for some stupid reason? 

But why are there no kruelboyz specific waaagh point generation in big waagh? :(

18 minutes ago, Smash said:

I am actually starting a path to glory campaign and picking big waaagh just to be able to add Marshcrawla sloggoth to my roster. I am not sure that it will be FAQed into a kruelboyz unit, since the buff is just allies it seems planned for some stupid reason? 

But why are there no kruelboyz specific waaagh point generation in big waagh? :(

The FAQ will probably just add the Kruleboyz keyword to his keywords, I doubt they will change the +1 to hit. If i'm not mistaken the Warchanter also has some buffs that work on friendly units, which looks like things they left to facilitate a cross warclan synergy for big waagh.

Sadly no bonus waagh points for having a Kruleboyz unit, looks like they aren't as good in generating waagh energy as their noise cousins.