AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

I really think Gutrippas are too expensive for their function. Played 1k points and they're really swingy (even with a shaman), they die in droves, and you're guaranteed spending a CP on them every turn to prevent them from fleeing. 

Can ogor take the sloggoths as allies?

No. Ogres can only ally with Gloompsite troggoths. It's real dumb I know.

Edited by Mutton

I'm not feeling so down on Gutrippaz - I think they are a bit overcosted, but not by a huge amount. VEW buffs from the shaman and sludgeraker synergise with them better than with Boltboyz for total MW output (with the obvious caveat that Gutrippaz dont have the same range), and I think a Killaboss is pretty much a must either way for Kruleboyz whether you're going Boltboy or Gutrippa heavy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

I'm not feeling so down on Gutrippaz - I think they are a bit overcosted, but not by a huge amount. VEW buffs from the shaman and sludgeraker synergise with them better than with Boltboyz for total MW output (with the obvious caveat that Gutrippaz dont have the same range), and I think a Killaboss is pretty much a must either way for Kruleboyz whether you're going Boltboy or Gutrippa heavy.

I agree with you on gutrippaz to an extent, in bodies of 10 they are meh in bodies of 20 they are actually darn good but that said you need to auto include a shaman and a killaboss (pick your poison as to which) to baby sit, which adds more points to your list building to make them functional 

Thing is, I think you need all those things anyway in a Kruleboy list, so it's no great loss :) A unit of 10 Gutrippaz (with spears to maximise attacks) with the Swampcalla buff and within 12 of a Sludgeraker is dealing an average 10.5 mortal wounds in melee, or 'just' 7 mortal wounds with only one of those support pieces - most armies wish they had that sort of MW output.

Hello, what's your opinion on using Killaboss on Corpse-Rippa Vulcha to abuse Unleash Hell with Boltboyz ?

With Commanding View, you can get 2 Unleash Hell per phase.

Boltboyz look like perfect candidates for Unleash Hell as they get 2 shots at half range and don't suffer from -1 to hit as they fish for 6 anyway.

In a Big Yellers army, 2*9 Boltboyz able to shot the units that charge the screen you hide them behind look savage. Even more if you stack buffs on them with Shamans and Sludgerakers.

6 hours ago, Stux said:

G4HtGve.jpg

I'm also doing some Iron Jawz for my primarily Kruleboyz army. I'm going for pretty much the default Kruleboy paint scheme, so this is a Brute to match it!

i hate to be the guy that points out big yellerz cause it already matches ironjawz. im sorry ill retreat to my corner now.

@Voodoom i think it has uses in pure kb but id like to to point out taking that with gordrakk in big waaagh can give you 4*6 boltboys using unleash hell. or hold the line or anything. i think itd be a fun piece in pure kb and in big waagh so if you like it and want to surprise people do it.

Edited by P.T.Bahnum

Got the tome and leafed through and here are my thoughts so far:

Big yellas is clearly the standout subfaction, 2 useful abilities (rerolls and battleline boltboyz) and one decent one +3" range. Grinnin blades is situationally useful, skulbugz is awful.

Artifacts are generally too weak for once per game, the universal ones are better.

If you're casting spells with your swampcalla you're doing something wrong. Despite the range requirements and needing both the shaman and the target out of combat the mortals on a 5+ is better than any spell he can cast.

Gutrippaz shield ability is still awful, only works out of combat, on a die roll, for a -1 to hit.

The overall rules push you to exclusively play a boltboyz focused army. Sludgerakers are one of the best units and amplify boltboyz power, the shaman doesn't run into issues keeping the poison active on them (unlike gutrippas) and they get rerolls and are battleline in big yellers. Boltboyz being our cheapest battleline option breaks open listbuilding in a big way too.

Ballistas receive an absurd power spike in big yellers from the hit reroll, since they're single models with 1 shot.

Mirebrute & gnashtoof bosses fail to do anything to make them stick out? They don't seem bad, but aren't compelling as army options.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Mirebrute & gnashtoof bosses fail to do anything to make them stick out? They don't seem bad, but aren't compelling as army options.

In my two games the Gnashtoof has been pretty useless. Doesn't do any damage. Is somewhat tanky, but not really enough to justify his existence. I mean he costs ten less points than a full unit of rippas.

The mirebrute can potentially do a lot of damage, especially with a sloggoth pairing. I think he could be a good answer to hordes. Kruleboyz are going to struggle against armies with lots of wounds/bodies, since they're relying on handfuls of mortals that chunkier units don't really care about.

• Like 1

This is my 'Double Dominion' list with sprinkles. It's not meant to be the best but some may find it interesting if they've grabbed multiple Dominion kits.

Army Name: KB 2000

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans

Army Type: Kruleboyz

Subfaction: Grinnin' Blades

Battle Trait Bonus: Dirty Tricks, Disappearin’ Act

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Core Battalion: Warlord, Magnificent Bonus: Artefacts of Power

Breaka-boss on Mirebrute Troggoth, Artefact: Seed of Rebirth, Mount Trait: Fast ’Un

Swampcalla Shaman and Pot-grot X 2 Spells: Da Black Pit, Choking Mist

Man-skewer Boltboyz: Reinforced: Once

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Core Battalion Command Entourage, Magnificent Bonus: Artefacts of Power

Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof (General), Command Trait: Slippery Scumbag, Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

Killaboss with Stab-Grot X 2, Artefact: Arcane Tome - Nasty Hex

Core Battalion Hunters of the Heartland

Gutrippaz: Reinforced: Once

Gutrippaz X 2

Non-Battalion Units

Hobgrot Slittaz x 3

Endless Spells/Invocations

The Burning Head

Total Points: 2000 pts

Edited by Yeknomious

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

In my two games the Gnashtoof has been pretty useless. Doesn't do any damage. Is somewhat tanky, but not really enough to justify his existence. I mean he costs ten less points than a full unit of rippas.

The mirebrute can potentially do a lot of damage, especially with a sloggoth pairing. I think he could be a good answer to hordes. Kruleboyz are going to struggle against armies with lots of wounds/bodies, since they're relying on handfuls of mortals that chunkier units don't really care about.

Mirebrute doesn't have the battleshock protection. Most builds are going to want a Killaboss. Gnashtoof is for when you have have 60pts spare over a basic Killaboss and you can't spend it on anything else. Which isn't a great niche admittedly...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stux said:

Mirebrute doesn't have the battleshock protection. Most builds are going to want a Killaboss. Gnashtoof is for when you have have 60pts spare over a basic Killaboss and you can't spend it on anything else. Which isn't a great niche admittedly...

Important to point out that the gnashtooth is a mount so it can take Fast Un, Weird Un and Smelly Un, it's a free bonus if you aren't running any other mounted units for some reason.

EDIT: Just a thought while I'm browsing here to see what people thing about the various Kruleboyz stuff ;) 

Edited by Malakree

Howdy Boyz! 

Im wondering what people think of the Murknob with belcha-banner. How useful has he been in your games? I can see how his magic deny can be quite affective in certain matchups but it's no guarantee. And his damage output could be quite useful for supporting some gutrippaz taking down a hero etc. 

I have no experience with him yet, he's still un- built. Ultimately I'm wondering if I should convert him into another shaman for tasty buffs.

Seeing a lot of theory lists taking 2 swampcallas and the Murknob doesn't get a look in! 

He would be awesome with a unit of Murknob brutes bit they don't exist sadly.

Thoughts? Conversion ideas? HMU

He's reasonably cheap and in a magic-heavy meta he's probably actually pretty good, but there's a lot of things competing for even that small slice of points in a Kruleboy army. When I get to the point of thinking whether I can fit the Murknob in, I'm also looking at a unit of hobgrotz to give me screening, zoning, and objective capture, or maybe an Emerald Lifeswarm for a touch more resilience, or boosting a foot Killboss up onto a Gnashtoof, or whatnot.

You are often gonna see 2 Swampcallas, yeah, though I think 3 is a trap with diminishing returns.

Im not planning to run 3, but I think there is an argument for it. You'll always have poisons where you need it most, and all our spells are pretty good too. At 125 I'd probably agree with you, but now on 105 it looks pretty solid to me.

Depends what else you're bringing of course.

I don’t feel like we have the points to field 3. I’m honestly not even sure we can easily field 2. There just seems to be so much stuff we need.

Redundancy is king to some extend and against certain armies the shaman surely has a big, skull shaped target on his back so bringing more than one seems mandatory. But then again, he’s a pure force multiplier. So firstly, we need force that can then be properly multiplied. So we’re talking 6-9 bolt boys or 20 gutrippers and the like just for one shaman. And then, we don’t necessarily have redundancy on our “force” units & they’re awefully expensive & die just as easily.

3 shamans just to be sure someone can hand out poison do nothing, when your rippers get slaughtered etc. because you didn’t bring enough.

But then again, maybe MSU is the way to go and we’ll go the way of redundancy in small units, who can die no problem.

Edited by Rachmani

11 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I don’t feel like we have the points to field 3. I’m honestly not even sure we can easily field 2. There just seems to be so much stuff we need.

Redundancy is king to some extend and against certain armies the shaman surely has a big, skull shaped target on his back so bringing more than one seems mandatory. But then again, he’s a pure force multiplier. So firstly, we need force that can then be properly multiplied. So we’re talking 6-9 bolt boys or 20 gutrippers and the like just for one shaman. And then, we don’t necessarily have redundancy on our “force” units & they’re awefully expensive. 

3 shamans just to be sure someone can hand out poison do nothing, when your rippers get slaughtered etc. because you didn’t bring enough.

But then again, maybe MSU is the way to go and we’ll go the way of redundancy in small units, who can die no problem.

Exactly this. I'm toying with lists and after I take everything I need I can't find a place for the Mirebrute, even though he's a really cool damage piece (+a nice model), I can't find a place for the Belcha banner, even though I know he's really useful, and I can only find a place for a Killaboss on foot to reduce battleshock ripples. And I got only one shaman.

I guess this is a good problem because we have many good units in the army for synergies.. but I'd really like to have Gobsprakk, a sludgeraker, a marshcrawler, and THEN put other useful units (after putting battlelines, Boltboyz, etc.) I do have 2 Killbows in my list though. Maybe that's where I need to cut?

Personally I don't even want use gobsprakk. Sure some stuff about him is nice, but a 5+ and 6++ is not good for what a target he will be. Against a good magic army you might not get any spells of the whole game with no bonuses.

In my current lists I only have a snatchaboss as a monster. I definitely want to try the Killaboss on bird (with my azhag model converted to the corresponding size, for me it's a cooler and much cheaper model :D).

I really think that it might come down to hobgrots to fill the bodies. Gutripperz are just too expensive to only use them for that purpose.

But without playing a game this is all just my impressions so far.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

Exactly this. I'm toying with lists and after I take everything I need I can't find a place for the Mirebrute, even though he's a really cool damage piece (+a nice model), I can't find a place for the Belcha banner, even though I know he's really useful, and I can only find a place for a Killaboss on foot to reduce battleshock ripples. And I got only one shaman.

I guess this is a good problem because we have many good units in the army for synergies.. but I'd really like to have Gobsprakk, a sludgeraker, a marshcrawler, and THEN put other useful units (after putting battlelines, Boltboyz, etc.) I do have 2 Killbows in my list though. Maybe that's where I need to cut?

Wait what on earth do you plan for a list?? Like a metric ton of gutrippaz because the models you can’t field  you should have the space for…

currently planned tentatively I have the following

gobsprakk.     300
KB on vulcha. 240
mirebrute        180
sludgeraker.    315
swampcall.     105

gutrippaz x20 360
boltboyz x 6.   240
boltboyz x 6.   240

total 1980

debating droping gobsprakk for another sludgraker. Notentirely sold on the warscroll. Lame save, no + casts HCV spell lore leads to unreliability so we have this 300 point utility support piece that’s looking very situational.

Edited by Sivyre
  • Like 1