AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

45 minutes ago, ZaelART said:

The way the hobgrots anatomy is proportioned, they seem like a wierd genetic cross of dwarf and goblin. Maybe some new origin lore coming? Wouldn't put it past chaos dwarf sorcery.

I think the anatomy proportion of the Hobgrot is the same shape as the regular Kruleboyz they both have the lanky arm and stunt leg body they just different sub breed

• Like 1

One of the things I really like about AoS is a setting is that this isn't the Old World, where things like Kragnos can be added into the game without the pre-amble because the realms are so massive, have existed for a huge amount of time already and a lot of the Age of Myth disappeared into the Age of Chaos yet now we're in the Age of Sigmar these ancient godbeasts, demi-gods and other critters that were sealed away during the Age of Myth can make a comeback because they've been forgotten. It's taken GW a long time to really get a handle on the lore for AoS compared to the decades of stuff they had for WHFB yet they're really hitting their stride now in my opinion and I like that they're doing things differently. 

We just don't have an omnipotent view of the Mortal Realms, there's an almost infinite space for them to create in now and I love that. Are we going to love all of it, probably not, but having their hands untied to be creative, that's worth an awful lot I think. 

• Like 13

6 hours ago, CDM said:

This actually made me laugh. Those characters are just fan service though aren't they. They are in name only a continuation of the WHFB characters. They could easily have been replaced with a new name with the same characteristics and no one would of batted an eyelid.

You say thrown in out of nowhere. There is a large narrative book explaining where he's come from. Read that first.then judge.

He's obviously not been mentioned or alluded to before which obviously would of been better but  it almost seems like people only want someone they already know. Can they not introduce new characters?

Well it was intened to be funny.  And yes all those chracters could be replaced whit random names and the game would still work. But they aren't and there is real vallue in nostalgia. Nagash is in my oppinion extra cool cause i know he started out as puny wizzard torturing some darkelfs for magic secrets. 

But you like Kragnos. I don't that is fine.

But don't ask are ppl pised? Cause well they are.  A lot of other ppl are happy. So no problem. 

Edited by Zappgrot

Some Grimdark Live hot takes

1  will be fast moving and sneaky.

2 They will be playable in Warclans via Big Waagh! but also get there own Battletome. their source didn't specify this though

3 Hobgrot wolf riders and more warmachines.

4 Chaos Dwarfs will come. They will not be named Chaos Dwarfs.

they have more information down the line that they are keeping to themselves for the moment,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I think the only thing that could dissuade me from these guys is the lore at this point. Still confused about Kragnos, and the synopsis of his broken realms book which I won't delve into for spoilers.

I just don't at all get why he is a central god to this army. Very underwhelmed by him as a deity at the moment, but will see I suppose. My other army being Ogres, i'm still wary of their new sculpts having derpy faces vs. these guys who are just perfection.

More Warmachines and wolf riders is a beautiful thing though! 

1 hour ago, novakai said:

2 They will be playable in Warclans via Big Waagh! but also get there own Battletome. their source didn't specify this though

they have more information down the line that they are keeping to themselves for the moment,

Point 1 is implied with the whole swamp hidden in shadows teaser they did when the army was still unknown. My thoughts will be either a swamp terrain piece (please no) or they will designate 3 or d3 pieces as swamps and can deepstrike from them. In terms of foot speed, I expect 5" movement, similar to the built for speed bonesplittaz.

Point 2 was said in the live stream. They called out their own book and that they will be playable in warclans.

Point 4 was also implied when they said hobgrots also deal with "dark masters". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spitballing the ways on why the Kruleboyz would follow Kragnos in particular.

1. They were original followers of Kragnos: Kragnos back in the day was worshipped by the Greenskins and other Destruction factions so much he became the God of Earthquakes. After he got imprisoned maybe the Kruleboyz were the only ones to continue worship of him so they seem themselves as his devoted followers.

2. Events of Broken Realms: With Kragnos back on the scene and the ongoing upheavals of the BR event it seems like the terrain of the Realms is going through all kinds of changes. With Kragnos tearing up the land it leads to devastation, which in turn has lead to the expansion of swamps and mires which the KruleboyZ have so long lurked in. Thus they see their current expansion of population and territory as a direct result of Kragnos so they worship him for that.

I love the hobgrots design. They are the perfect representation of the old description of the hobgoblins with a new improvements that make them very unique. I expect to see one more unit of them at least.

EDIT: My only problem with them is that they said in the preview that their reals leaders are "Dark Masters" meanwhile they work as mercenaries to the Kruleboyz.

Edited by Nezzhil

4 hours ago, Carnith said:

Point 1 is implied with the whole swamp hidden in shadows teaser they did when the army was still unknown. My thoughts will be either a swamp terrain piece (please no) or they will designate 3 or d3 pieces as swamps and can deepstrike from them. In terms of foot speed, I expect 5" movement, similar to the built for speed bonesplittaz.

Point 2 was said in the live stream. They called out their own book and that they will be playable in warclans.

Point 4 was also implied when they said hobgrots also deal with "dark masters". 

If they become destruction Sylvaneth and you can place loads of swamp terrain kits I will lose all interest in starting them.

AOS should be introducing more of its own characters, rather than trotting out the corpses of WHFB fan faves for nostalgia points, especially when these characters are entirely different to their original incarnations. Teclis and Tyrion got done dirty in this respect; they might as well have not even called them that to begin with because AOS T&T have nothing in common with their Fantasy counterparts. And then you've got decisions like not making any use of Thanquol who is one of the greatest WHFB characters they ever made and is practically non-existent in any events going on currently.

However GW are also writing themselves into a corner because the only important characters are increasingly becoming god-level beings which kind of kills any hype or interest around anyone not that. Plus many of the existing characters and Gods just are not interesting enough currently and this is especially apparent in the Greenskin named ones. Skragrot and Gordrakk just don't really hold a candle to old characters like Skarsnik, Azhag or Grom.

Hopefully this new destruction focus changes some of that a little, but Kragnos himself is still emblematic of the problem I mentioned above. He's automatically important because he's a god, but is anything about him actually that interesting? Especially when he had 0 build-up?

Part of it feels like an attempt to move Destruction away from being the Greenskin Grand Alliance by giving them a new figurehead that isn't that.... but then they make their brand new antagonist faction Greenskins too so idk.

Kruleboyz look cool though. Since I have Gloomspite and Ironjawz I'll obviously be picking them up too.

Edited by Bosskelot

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Kragnos is a perfect Beastmen leader, but is weird where he's positioned.

Gotta admit I had hoped for some kind of Kurnothi god that Alerielle unleashed by accident. Currently, it doesn't quite hang together, but throw in a macguffin and you can explain anything.

Again, it feels like design by committee:

"Hey look what I've built?"

"Cool... But what is it?"

"Beastman Kurnothi God."

"Right. But how about Destruction getting a demi-god monster? You know what would be cool? A new Orruk god-monster!"

"... But it's got hooves..."

"Which unleashes earthquakes!"

"... And a beastman head..."

"And he hates other monsters!"

"But Destruction are monsters??"

"Ha! Right! I knew you'd love that idea! A Destruction god he is! And we'll call him Hoofsmasha the Terrible!"

"Can't we give him my original name at least?"

"What? 'Dave?'"

"No, no. That was for my named Knight-Arcanum. No, how about 'Kragnos'?"

"Sounds a bit too Kurnothi if you ask me. But ok, you can have that. I still think Hoofsmasha is better..."

• Haha 1

Grimdark says that there will be chaos dwarves and that he already knows details, but he does not give more information about the kruleboyz? :(

I really liked orcs, but I'm not convinced about hobgobs, They are cool, but they do not fit me in the army, I preferred more goblins like the ones from the war machine.

there is talk that there will be a cavalry unit, but will they be hogobos? Wouldn't it be better orcs mounted on the small version of the leader?

I am afraid that if you only want to play orcs, without hobgobos, the army will remain with little variety.

I'm really dig the new Hobgorts. They have n interesting design (pic because they are awesome):

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Dominion | 3rd Edition Launch Box – Sprues & Brews

Maybe I'm wrong (I'm not an historian dude, more about designer), but they have a japanese feeling that could be mindblowing if our favorite chaos stunties have it!!

Spoiler

RedKnot.jpg.835026603570a2d4b837744c9620e224.jpgRedKnotJapan.jpg.f19380a3f77b18da5f9b2ea7bb05f2de.jpgRedKnotJapan2.jpg.bec79f01a0c054fc9c121d6cb8e50287.jpg

Chestplate.jpg.089e4cd2b041290ec3cb1758b2435fe3.jpgMetaldoor.jpg.1e17a0efa59e90cb5989b78d2f8ddf8c.jpgMetaldoor2.jpg.448ca4e94aaa8eb790f6de483bd2e827.jpg

Edited by Beliman
grammar
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I'm really dig the new Hobgorts. They have n interesting design (pic because they are awesome):

Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Dominion | 3rd Edition Launch Box – Sprues & Brews

Maybe I'm wrong (I'm not an historian dude, more about designer), but they have a japanese feeling that could be out of my mind with our favorite chaos stunties!!

Reveal hidden contents

RedKnot.jpg.835026603570a2d4b837744c9620e224.jpgRedKnotJapan.jpg.f19380a3f77b18da5f9b2ea7bb05f2de.jpgRedKnotJapan2.jpg.bec79f01a0c054fc9c121d6cb8e50287.jpg

Chestplate.jpg.089e4cd2b041290ec3cb1758b2435fe3.jpgMetaldoor.jpg.1e17a0efa59e90cb5989b78d2f8ddf8c.jpgMetaldoor2.jpg.448ca4e94aaa8eb790f6de483bd2e827.jpg

The helmet and the banner (sorry, I don't know the English word to name that thing) are Chinese or Mongol to me. I think it is a mix of cultures like it happened with the Lumineth aesthetic is a mix of cultures too.

I'm pretty sure that the light cavalry unit is gonna be Hobgrot riders.

• LOVE IT! 1

12 hours ago, novakai said:

You see GW thats why you tell customers what they can expect like wotc does.

now imagine if somebody who has a history of being right about rumours made up a thing to gain some clout 🥲 

The only part of the release I don't like are the Hobgrots. I guess with a different paint scheme they could get better for me, but the armour don't click with me and that will be hard to change with paints. 

The rest of the line is top notch, but if I could wish for something it would be that  they could use Gloomspite Troggoths in their army (and not only as allies).

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 2:04 AM, HiddenElephant said:

This is very cool.  My only disappointment was yesterday I realized that pop-culture witches have green skin, like everyone's favorite fungus, so I thought it'd be really cool if the newest greenskinz faction was led by child-napping swamp-dwelling honest-to-goodness witches who go about doing evil things and flying about on brooms n' whatnot, but tbh, that was a longshot.

That would have been awesome!

There are so many tropes to work with, with witches from all parts of the world, Oni, goblins that are distinctly more dark fairy tale than the grots we know, and all sorts of swamp monsters.

Not anything against these orcs, hobgoblins and goblins, they are perfect, but that idea would also be great!

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

If... I mean if the intent was to give the Hobgrotz a more ... 'Asian' vibe, I'd really wish they wouldn't have given them slanted eyes.

At least they don't have a single long braid at the back of their head.

To me, they read as hittite/assyrian/babylonian armour, but on closer inspection that doesn't hold up that well.

I was thinking about reliefs where the long armour makes it seem like the legs are really short.

But that may be wanting to see a babylonian connection for Chaos Dwarves.

• Like 1