AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

30 minutes ago, ArkanautDadmiral said:

No spending money on KB for me then haha, I was so pumped on the idea of running Brutes alongside them but I don’t want to run Big Waagh just to use another unit in the same book :(

More to spend on a different project then. Thanks for the clarifications guys.

You do know, that you get the main allegiance ability for each of the three warclans though in Big Waaagh!? You just don't get the subfaction stuff. So basicly you will have to decide: Do I take Gutrippaz in my Kruleboyz army and am able to pick Big Yellers (or another subfaction) or do I replace them with an IJ battleline that will survive better but give up the subfaction. And I think that is quite an interesting choice to make...

• Like 2

I actually think Big Waaagh is the way to go for any Kruelboys army that isn't going for big yellas.  You lose the meh Waaagh, the ok Dirty Tricks and the (other than big yellas) situational and not great sub-factions.  In return you get universal +1to hit, wound, charge, cast and dispell once you hit mid game.  Seems like a bargain.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Magnus The Blue said:

I actually think Big Waaagh is the way to go for any Kruelboys army that isn't going for big yellas.  You lose the meh Waaagh, the ok Dirty Tricks and the (other than big yellas) situational and not great sub-factions.  In return you get universal +1to hit, wound, charge, cast and dispell once you hit mid game.  Seems like a bargain.

I have to agree with this, just gaining access alone to better battle line options is appealing and at 12 waaagh points the +1 to casting is very good for gobsprakk.

brutes, ardboyz and maaaaybe gore gruntas (not sure if they’re bl in BW) to replace our singular option of gutrippaz (if not big yellers) is definitely worth consideration

but again you get whacky interactions like do you want to take skundrekk who isn’t going to idle near boltboyz but there ability does apply to themselves... or do I drop him for MBoMK or if your more ambitious do I attempt to get gordrakk in the mix.

either way kruleboyz being as fragile as they are, going into BW can get you something more bashy and more tanky. Especially those brutes, my they look good and at 160pts that’s far better than our 180gutrippaz. You may lose 5 wounds from the unit but you do gain a 4+ save, still keep the 2” range but you get 3/3-2/1 and don’t care about fishing for 6’s. you can than drop killaboss and shaman if you want to get back even more points. 

Edited by Sivyre

51 minutes ago, JanGret said:

You do know, that you get the main allegiance ability for each of the three warclans though in Big Waaagh!? You just don't get the subfaction stuff. So basicly you will have to decide: Do I take Gutrippaz in my Kruleboyz army and am able to pick Big Yellers (or another subfaction) or do I replace them with an IJ battleline that will survive better but give up the subfaction. And I think that is quite an interesting choice to make...

I didn’t realise that, no! There’s hope yet!

57 minutes ago, Sivyre said:

I have to agree with this, just gaining access alone to better battle line options is appealing and at 12 waaagh points the +1 to casting is very good for gobsprakk.

brutes, ardboyz and maaaaybe gore gruntas (not sure if they’re bl in BW) to replace our singular option of gutrippaz (if not big yellers) is definitely worth consideration

but again you get whacky interactions like do you want to take skundrekk who isn’t going to idle near boltboyz but there ability does apply to themselves... or do I drop him for MBoMK or if your more ambitious do I attempt to get gordrakk in the mix.

either way kruleboyz being as fragile as they are, going into BW can get you something more bashy and more tanky. Especially those brutes, my they look good and at 160pts that’s far better than our 180gutrippaz. You may lose 5 wounds from the unit but you do gain a 4+ save, still keep the 2” range but you get 3/3-2/1 and don’t care about fishing for 6’s. you can than drop killaboss and shaman if you want to get back even more points. 

To my understanding Goregruntas are only Battleline in the Ironjawz' Bloodtoofs subfaction.

6 hours ago, JanGret said:

Kruleboyz lose Dirty Tricks with Big Waaagh. Something to take in mind (as you said, subfactions too).

I'm an IJ player at heart. They are my first army. When I first saw the Kruleboyz I wasn't sure and was waiting for the battletome. After seeing the content, I think they're amazing. The fact that we can have such drastically different armies within the same battletome is a privilege to me. Kruleboyz are that army full of tricks and shenanigans that good players will be able to exploit and bend the game. The whole army has mortal wounds on 6s (something destruction has never had access to in the past, tbh..) and the tech to buff it up even more is so cool..

I dunno, overall I think they will be my next army and I'll do Big Waaagh build with my IJ as well. It's a tome that's really deep and I feel like people who are not liking the army, are expecting a classic hard hitting melee army like the Ironjawz and that's just not what they are. You have to change your mindset to welcome their differences and embrace them. Count me in for that learning curve. People who want classic durable/hard hitting battlelines, etc. I suggest you go BW and you'll be pleased. Can't wait to get the battletome.

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MiniJunkie said:

Sounds like there's still not much reason to paint Hobgrotz...which is a bummer, I was kinda looking forward to it but don't really want to paint a unit without legs so to speak. 

The best thing I can think of is Swamp Boggler themed Gloomspite Gitz proxies.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:43 PM, Mutton said:

Deleting my big rant because it doesn't help anything and maybe I'm just not intuitive enough to see all of the army's angles.

I disagree that it doesn’t help anything. It helps me skip the FOMO on this disappointing release. Time to start pondering how many zombies I need again.

• Like 1

One fun combo:
Make a Breakaboss your general and give him Egomaniac. Surround him with stupid hobgrots and he essentially has a 4+ ward to protect him not only from enemy attacks, but his own self-infliction.

Egomaniac is really good since it works on ANY friendly unit within 3".

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mutton said:

Make a Breakaboss your general and give him Egomaniac. Surround him with stupid hobgrots and he essentially has a 4+ ward to protect him not only from enemy attacks, but his own self-infliction.

Would it work on his self-infliction ability? The ability says he add 2 attacks for each wound he suffers with it but the if the transfer the wounds he would suffer none.

Egomaniac looks specially good with any of the Killaboss options, has he battle shock ability secure that we don't loose more models and let us keep a command point for something else other than keeping the "bodyguard" unit.

If you give the amulet of destiny to another hero it let's have two heroes with a ward (for the first rounds at least).

Edited by Arzalyn

52 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Would it work on his self-infliction ability? The ability says he add 2 attacks for each wound he suffers with it but the if the transfer the wounds he would suffer none.

Egomaniac looks specially good with any of the Killaboss options, has he battle shock ability secure that we don't loose more models and let us keep a command point for something else other than keeping the "bodyguard" unit.

If you give the amulet of destiny to another hero it let's have two heroes with a ward (for the first rounds at least).

Basing it off 14.0 and 14.1 in the core rules, it sounds like a unit suffers wounds and then allocates those wounds to models. So it may actually work. 

That’s not super concrete but I think RAW that’s how it would go.

37 minutes ago, PlayerJ said:

Can someone help me with the math on the average mortal wounds for a unit of Boltboyz with both the swampcalla's poison for mortals on 5s, and a snatchaboss' +1 damage on 6s?

I think 2.5 for long shot (1attck/model) (3*1/6*2+3*1/6*3)

and double that if hasty shot so 5mw.

but also it will be quite swingy ofc so u probably want to look at probabilities (eg %chance to deal 5mw), but that I cant do on the fly 😅

21 hours ago, Magnus The Blue said:

How fast are you getting that +1 hit/wound up and running through? On paper it looks like it will take a long time, like turn 3 the earliest?

Really looking forward to receiving my book and very optimistic about what it can do. I don't play tourney games so I think it'll be a solid game to play with friends and having to lean into your sneakiness and be creative sounds like a great play experience that I am going to love. Plus, the options for Big Waaagh and adding in some IJ, think this is going to be a book that I'll have a lot of fun building a force up for. 

• Like 3

Yeah, with how Big Waaagh looks I can finally get sone IJ and either mix both or play each one separately. 
I frankly hope that the rumored Dispossessed book let’s you combine the dwarven factions in a similarly easy manner but still keeps good options for mono-subfaction play.

Edited by Rachmani

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Just to confirm within Big Waaagh!!, can you say that units within it belong to a sub faction within IJ, BS or KB? Didn’t think you could but just wanted to check. 

You are only getting the main bonus of each warclan, not the subfaction stuff.

• Like 1