AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

55 minutes ago, Cataphract said:

I’m thinking rule-wise for these guys they will have some sort of deep strike shenanigans or at least the ability to pop up from the board edge, it would fit their sneaky theme. 

they seem to also have a lot of poison coated weaponry on their melee and range units. (probably MW of some kind)

In the end, even if I'm not a soup guy...with a right paint scheme (and some furr/leather added eventually) the Ironjawz and Kruelboyz can mix well enough on the table I think...more than IJ with Bonesplitters..

Still I wonder what's the new beasts the KB will bring with them...wonderful perspectives indeed as they are now my favorite Destruction army.

Edited by Harioch
  • Like 1

I'm very tempted by the Boyz, cause I have Ironjawz already, but I don't like chaff armies (I suppose they mostly have 5+ armor).

The thing is if we can, in the future, mix them in a Big Waaagh! allegiance, could be very strong to support the IJ units with some shooting behind them. 

To be or not to be...

58 minutes ago, EchoHavoc said:

So I’m in a gaming group with 2 play testers and although they wouldn’t say anything specific as they’ve both signed NDAs (they will not give anything specific away at all) they have said the rules for Kruleboyz are very very good. So as a competitive player the hype is real here for sure. 

Being a massive lord of the rings fan, these look epic!! Not sure I will buy them myself but I can’t wait to see them on the tabletop.

Going by what Eddie said on the stream I’d say the Kruleboyz will be getting their own battletome. 

Could you ask them if purely hypothetically Kragnos would fit into the army. Wink wink? 

• Haha 1

Is there any chance Kruleboyz will get something like warg riders and non-leader trolls/monsters? I really wanna start playing them, but I'm not sure how many additional units they will receive considering they are under orruk warclans.. any thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hellberg said:

Is there any chance Kruleboyz will get something like warg riders and non-leader trolls/monsters? I really wanna start playing them, but I'm not sure how many additional units they will receive considering they are under orruk warclans.. any thoughts?

Probably some big reveals to match SCE drakes. 

I would expect several more kits 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shankelton said:

Why the heck do they worship Kragnos? He seems like the antithesis of what these guys are.

Because someone decided Destruction needed its own archaon regardless of how much sense it makes since only god-level characters are allowed to accomplish anything in the narrative. (I'm not fond of the kragnos character, it really feels like someone made a business decision and now he needs to be forced into the narrative ASAP. The writing around him just feels forced)

11 minutes ago, Feii said:

Probably some big reveals to match SCE drakes. 

I would expect several more kits 

I'm certain they're holding back the cool stuff. Kruleboyz use their bright shields to divert attention away from them and to the shield, I imagine the army works the same way, with the gutrippaz diverting attention away from the sneakier units.

Really looking forward to the new units. Hoping for some wolf riders. Large howdah beastie. More of those not sourbreath trolls. Couple of grot units like a doom diver.

I'm expecting the extra we saw for both factions to be push fit. Even that troll!

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Because someone decided Destruction needed its own archaon regardless of how much sense it makes since only god-level characters are allowed to accomplish anything in the narrative. (I'm not fond of the kragnos character, it really feels like someone made a business decision and now he needs to be forced into the narrative ASAP. The writing around him just feels forced)

I'm certain they're holding back the cool stuff. Kruleboyz use their bright shields to divert attention away from them and to the shield, I imagine the army works the same way, with the gutrippaz diverting attention away from the sneakier units.

I seems to mee like someone made a terrible buisness dission. I mean ppl realy don't like Kragnos. If they had brought back Grimgor on a gain mount  (archeon/ aeriale style) Ppl would be shoveling money towards gw. Now they pissed of a big part of the playerbase. 

So I was looking at the Nighthaunt release to try to get an idea of how much more can we expect. Its interesting because the dominion box is quite similar to the soul war box. Both had 4 heroes, 2x of a horde unit (chainrasp/hobgrots) and 2x of other units (glaivewraith+ reapers / Gutrippaz + boltboyz). Beyond that nighthaunt got 4 other units (chainghast, bladegheist, dreadscythers and banshees), 1 centerpiece (black coach) and 4 heroes (3 named, 1 generic). I think we can expect something similar, around 9 new kits, 2 of which they revealed yesterday. This number can be a little higher, as nighthaunt got some pre existing models in their range (3 heroes and 2 units) and I doubt the Kruleboyz will get any of the actual gitz/orruk kits.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

I seems to mee like someone made a terrible buisness dission. I mean ppl realy don't like Kragnos. If they had brought back Grimgor on a gain mount  (archeon/ aeriale style) Ppl would be shoveling money towards gw. Now they pissed of a big part of the playerbase. 

How are people annoyed? What is it about kragnos that is upsetting everyone? What would you have done differently as I'm genuinely curious?

I actually really like him, his model and his lore. I also feel he fits destruction like a glove. I like the thought of him being an earthquake god and picture him in par with the godbeasts with how they fit in the setting.

Where should destruction go? We have troggoths, gargants, gloomspite, kruleboyz, ironjawz,bonesplittaz, ogres. I feel unless kruleboyz has some more grots there's still room for another goblin faction. More new scults for lots (gorgers, yheteez etc). 

But what other factions? Scuttlers are often mentioned but can't see a full faction of them but could see them in a dredfleet style airship game! A firebelly expansion I'm not convinced on although would look great! 

Some elemental forces of destruction would be great. Golems, rouge idols etc to fit in with that theme.

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Swearing :(
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, CDM said:

How are people annoyed? What is it about kragnos that is upsetting everyone? What would you have done differently as I'm genuinely curious?

I actually really like him, his model and his lore. I also feel he fits destruction like a glove. I like the thought of him being an earthquake god and picture him in par with the godbeasts with how they fit in the setting.

Where should destruction go? We have troggoths, gargants, gloomspite, kruleboyz, ironjawz,bonesplittaz, ogres. I feel unless kruleboyz has some more grots there's still room for another goblin faction. More new scults for lots (gorgers, yheteez etc). 

But what other factions? Scuttlers are often mentioned but can't see a full faction of them but could see them in a dredfleet style airship game! A firebelly expansion I'm not convinced on although would look great! 

Some elemental forces of destruction would be great. Golems, rouge idols etc to fit in with that theme.

Like a glove? Every single race in destruction is humanoid. He isn't   He looks compleetly out of place. And was never mentioned in the fluff ever. So he comes right the F out of no where.  Like i said i would have brought back Grimgor.  Hell i could respect Kragnos  if he was Grimogrs mount.  But at is. he sticks out  in all the wrong reasons. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This isn't WHFB. this is a setting where new forces and characters can come into it.  Grimgors dead and I'm so glad thet don't try to shoehorn in old characters now that were hardly known for they're God like stature. 

I would much rather they shoehorn new characters like kragnos. He's a force of destruction.  I find it believable that they are all rallying around him. Fits in well with what we know of destruction as a grand alliance.

• Like 5

@CDM @Zappgrot annoyed might be taking it too far, but lets put kragnos into perspective. He had no buildup, popped out of a hole in the ground, usurped Gordrakk's narrative which has been in the works since forbidden power (the broken realms stories made it VERY clear Gordrakks charisma is what was binding the army together), looks very destruction aesthetically but GW clearly has no intention of making an army for him and he doesn't match the aesthetics of any of the current destruction factions and he has instantaneously been jammed into the destruction pantheon directly under Gorkamorka despite having a tenuous relationship with him at best.

Proper buildup and introduction of characters is really important and Kragnos really missed the mark for me. I haven't read kragnos yet, obviously, but what would've made sense to me is for Gordrakk to die at excelsis, the result of the battle frees Kragnos somehow, and that leading into 3.0 with Kragnos filling the power vacuum and rallying the forces of destruction.

Instead it feels like we skipped over all the narrative buildup because of a business need or something. Its also reinforcing a poor writing decision (in my opinion) by GW where only the actions of god tier characters ever seem to matter.

The narrative behind units tends to really matter for me, as much or more than the models actually looking/playing good, and while kragnos might be interesting in the long term I'm not sure the rushed introduction was worth it.

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Swearing :(
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CDM said:

This isn't WHFB. this is a setting where new forces and characters can come into it.  Grimgors dead and I'm so glad thet don't try to shoehorn in old characters now that were hardly known for they're God like stature. 

I would much rather they shoehorn new characters like kragnos. He's a force of destruction.  I find it believable that they are all rallying around him. Fits in well with what we know of destruction as a grand alliance.

Yes very new. I mean if you look at  BR as a whole.   All those new characters. Like Morathi, Nagash, Teclis, Ariel, Kroak and Be'Lakor really have shock things up and in no way what so ever relate back to the old world at all.  I am so glad that gw has decided to do away whit  the old world fluff compleetly. And non of the mover and shackers in the fluff are old world chracters. I mean it would be so ackward. If all the important chractes in the fluff would be old world fan favourites.  And then there would be just one faction that never gets anny of their old chracters back.  I mean could you  imagine what such a game would look like.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

They should have went with more crazy kragnos design. 

Lizard lower part of the body. Granitr like arms maybe 4 of them etc. 

his backstory is just so bad. He is A grade ****** who didnt even do half of the things apparently and thats all. 

7 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

Yes very new. I mean if you look at  BR as a whole.   All those new characters. Like Morathi, Nagash, Teclis, Ariel, Kroak and Be'Lakor really have shock things up and in no way what so ever relate back to the old world at all.  I am so glad that gw has decided to do away whit  the old world fluff compleetly. And non of the mover and shackers in the fluff are old world chracters. I mean it would be so ackward. If all the important chractes in the fluff would be old world fan favourites.  And then there would be just one faction that never gets anny of their old chracters back.  I mean could you  imagine what such a game would look like.  

This actually made me laugh. Those characters are just fan service though aren't they. They are in name only a continuation of the WHFB characters. They could easily have been replaced with a new name with the same characteristics and no one would of batted an eyelid.

7 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

@CDM @Zappgrot annoyed might be taking it too far, but lets put kragnos into perspective. He had no buildup, popped out of a hole in the ground, usurped Gordrakk's narrative which has been in the works since forbidden power (the broken realms stories made it VERY clear Gordrakks charisma is what was binding the army together), looks very destruction aesthetically but GW clearly has no intention of making an army for him and he doesn't match the aesthetics of any of the current destruction factions and he has instantaneously been jammed into the destruction pantheon directly under Gorkamorka despite having a tenuous relationship with him at best.

Proper buildup and introduction of characters is really important and Kragnos really missed the mark for me. I haven't read kragnos yet, obviously, but what would've made sense to me is for Gordrakk to die at excelsis, the result of the battle frees Kragnos somehow, and that leading into 3.0 with Kragnos filling the power vacuum and rallying the forces of destruction.

Instead it feels like we skipped over all the narrative buildup because of a business need or something. Its also reinforcing a poor writing decision (in my opinion) by GW where only the actions of god tier characters ever seem to matter.

The narrative behind units tends to really matter for me, as much or more than the models actually looking/playing good, and while kragnos might be interesting in the long term I'm not sure the rushed introduction was worth it.

You say thrown in out of nowhere. There is a large narrative book explaining where he's come from. Read that first.then judge.

He's obviously not been mentioned or alluded to before which obviously would of been better but  it almost seems like people only want someone they already know. Can they not introduce new characters?

8 minutes ago, CDM said:

You say thrown in out of nowhere. There is a large narrative book explaining where he's come from. Read that first.then judge.

He's obviously not been mentioned or allowed to before which obviously would of been better but  it almost seems like people only want someone they already know. Can they not introduce new characters?

There was no buildup, no hints that he or his people ever existed, no connection to anything existing, and no lead in. He could have been a spaghetti monster and nothing about about the narrative up until this point would need to change. If you're introducing a completely new being with no connections to the existing lore/narrative the proper way to do it is to lay narrative strings beforehand. They just didn't bother putting in the work with kragnos. It's lazy writing, especially when it would've been so easy to work it in naturally. Gordrakk had a huge battering ram down the street but they couldn't bother to tie the two things together, using the battering ram to break out kragnos would've been a perfect subversion of our expectations. Oddly enough even the introduction of the kruleboyz first would've laid perfect plot threads for kragnos.

21 minutes ago, CDM said:

Yet your happy with kruleboyz coming out the blue from absolutely nowhere😂

Orruks exist in the realms and we knew about them, would've been better if there was a hint or two somewhere of course, but they're also not a god who was injected into the top of the heirarchy.

Its the difference between a new stormcast chamber and inserting a character between sigmar and the celestant prime. One of these things needs much more justification than "they exist now".

This just stinks of the usual If it's not how I perceive the setting then it's no good mentality. 

Why do they need justification? Justify to you? It's there setting and they feel that this is what they wanted. If he was a giant Orruk with the same backstory and treatment I suspect people wouldn't of been as bothered with it.

I like the direction they've took and you don't. It's polarised opinion. It matters not what we say they'll just be happy people discuss their product