No Vampire Vampire Armies

Sleboda

Hi all.

I'm a fan of all things undead in Warhammer. Except actual vampires. I mean, they're ok and all, but they don't grab me like the rest.

So, I'm working on a new undead army using necromancers, skeletons, zombies, etc. Probably no vampires.

Looking at the new book, it seems the only bloodline that makes that a realistic option is Night. It bummed me out that you must choose a bloodline, there is no generic one, and all but Night have abilities linked to the presence of a vampire character.

Is that right? Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Hi all.

I'm a fan of all things undead in Warhammer. Except actual vampires. I mean, they're ok and all, but they don't grab me like the rest.

So, I'm working on a new undead army using necromancers, skeletons, zombies, etc. Probably no vampires.

Looking at the new book, it seems the only bloodline that makes that a realistic option is Night. It bummed me out that you must choose a bloodline, there is no generic one, and all but Night have abilities linked to the presence of a vampire character.

Is that right? Am I missing something?

1-yes

2-no

• Thanks 1

This book is even farther away from Necromancer focus than the previous Legion of Nagash, which is a shame. I won't get into the discussion of "So many little, obvious changes to make the book better" but the fact is that, you really want to use the Vampire units and ignoring ALL of them is going to be rough.

BUT! It's not impossible. 

My first suggestion is: take the warscrolls you like, but theme the models differently. Nothing to say the Coven Throne can't be a Necromancer using Blood Magic. Nothing to say the Vengorian Lord or Lord on Zombie Dragon can't be a powerful necromancer on a twisted beast buffed by the revitalizing powers of undeath. With a bit of creativity and model conversions, any unit can be both recognizable as what it is and also be what you desire.

If that really doesn't work for you, you're not DOOMED for a poor list. Avengorii focuses more on monsters than vampires. Legion of Night, though, is probably your best bet. 

Necromancers have the better spell lore and Corpse Carts can buff their casting. Grave Guard can be beasts in combat, as can Zombies with a few non-Vampire buffs. Skeletons are self sufficient, for the most part, and while your units will lack speed, the outflanking of Legion of Night helps immensely. You can add Chronomatic Cogs to make charges faster and your skellies/zombies faster in general and with Morbheg's Claw, a Corpse Cart, and the Mortis Engine, you can have +4 to cast! 

• Like 1

There are a lot of ways to build a necromancer only army.
Necromancers (obviously) have a great spell lore, zombies, graveguards, direwolves, terrorgeese, mortis engines and corpse carts are all good units, wight kings are ok and skellies have their uses. 
Go legion of night, take unbending will and morbeg claw and you have a nice thematic necromantic army. 

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

Thanks for the thoughts, all.

I'm pretty much insanely, violently opposed to any form of counts-as, so using things that are vampires and pretending they are necromancers is right out.

That said, it does seem there are some other options that will work for me, so thanks again!

On 5/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, Raptor_Jesues said:

they honk you to death, very scary stuff.

Vhat treachery ith this...

btt non vampire lists are pretty easy, just  mortis engine, two necros and a wightking, a corpse cart and then all the rabble you like dire wolves, zombies, skellis and as stated above, sprinkle with little monsters... maybe even deathstench cove. Deathmarch with graveguard still seems legit for friendly games

avengorii or Legion of Night fit pretty well

if that’s all too complicated Nagash with Necromancer, corpse cart and chaff of choice and endless spells ( portal or if fighting hordes the corpsmare stampede from fec)

Edited by Honk
  • Haha 1