AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

yeah, regardless of the multiple generals thing we got a serious boost for the sole reason that the coven throne exists. You can easily spam its CA on 2-3 units per turn  wich i do not need to tell how strong could be. VLoZD, prince V, all the mortarchs, bloodknights, vargheists, grave guards, dire wolves, terrorgeese, zombie dragons, vengorian lords and potentially (but i would not recomend it) even the throne itself are potentially way scarier now. For sure, enemy armies are stronger as well but there are not many CAs as strong as the throne's. Now it would really suck if they also put a limitation of once per turn only on all CAs xD 

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

5 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

yeah, regardless of the multiple generals thing we got a serious boost for the sole reason that the coven throne exists. You can easily spam its CA on 2-3 units per turn  wich i do not need to tell how strong could be. VLoZD, prince V, all the mortarchs, bloodknights, vargheists, grave guards, dire wolves, terrorgeese, zombie dragons, vengorian lords and potentially (but i would not recomend it) even the throne itself are way scarier now. For sure, enemy armies are stronger as well but there are not many CAs as strong as the throne's. Now it would really suck if they also put a limitation of once per turn only on all CAs xD 

Prince V now has a way higher chance to use his CA too 👀 e.g. Mortarchs, a General VLoZD. 

Just now, AHexInScarletRed said:

Prince V now has a way higher chance to use his CA too 👀 e.g. Mortarchs, a General VLoZD. 

not to mention that if there are better generic CA (someone said +1 to hit) VLoZD and prince V have a rather nice generic use CA that makes them that much better

32 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Ah, yeah, you're right. We were so CP hungry in the last book regardless if Soulblight or Legion of Blood. Now there's Kastelai and enough CP. Finally ❤️

I read it as you will get 1 extra CP as long as your General is alive, and not 1 per General. But you would still get the extra CP if you have a named character that acts like an General that is alive, when your appointed General is dead. 

Oh, and those who counts as an General but isnt gets the 18"range on their CA. Atleast this is how I read it. 

Edited by brattenbergus

16 hours ago, Scythian said:

I talked to my local GW guy today. Blood Knights are going to be out for at least a month. Little resupplies might pop in here and there but they’ll be gone in a matter of minutes; much like Belakor. GW was absolutely hammered by the release of Soulblight! Most of the stuff has been sold out since day one. With Dominion right around the corner, resupply will be of the lowest priority until probably July. If you want something new this summer, preorder it or be prepared to wait. Imagine the wait for those poor Coven Throne buyers. 

gut punch!

9 hours ago, El Syf said:

Everything appears back in stock on the website now. I'm just hoping our book is as 3.0 ready as they said it would be and history does not prevail with it being not next edition in mind whatsoever.

No in the US sadly =(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, brattenbergus said:

I read it as you will get 1 extra CP as long as your General is alive, and not 1 per General. But you would still get the extra CP if you have a named character that acts like an General that is alive, when your appointed General is dead. 

Oh, and those who counts as an General but isnt gets the 18"range on their CA. Atleast this is how I read it. 

Yeah, I thought it's either this or 1 per General, but not 1 per round anymore, but I also think that 1+1 is probably right - as long as it's not plain 1 per round anymore, I'm happy.

• Like 1

Got some games in against Tzeentch. Lost one, won one. Lists were:

Vyrkos Dynasty

-

Belladamma

Anna

Cursed City Radukar and friends

-

40 Zombies

30 Skeletons

10 Dire Wolves

-

6 Fell Bats

Spell Portal

Chronomatic Cogs

Vs

Conflagration Faction

Lord of Change

Fateskimmer

Gaunt Summoner

10 Pinks

10 Pinks

6 Flamers

Exalted Flamer

Chariot Flamer

Chariot Flamer

3 Skimmers

Emerald Lifeswarm

The game I won involved Cogs and using the Wolves and Bats to tie up chaffe. Doubleturn into Bats retreating and tying down 2 chariot flamers and 6 Flamers on his right flank was backbreaking. 

They died and he moved forward, mulched things, but opponent failed to double turn me back. I dug in and held objectives. He tabled me on turn 4 but hadn been able to score because the Pinks weren't able to outnumber the Skellies and Zombies in time. 

We reracked and opponent played far more respectfully. No double turn and no cogs. The lack of muscle prevented me from winning but I threw my forces onto a single flank and held half the table until turn 4. Was really close; Prince Vhordrai, Chadukar, or even a Mega Gargant would have enabled me to utilize the fantastic utility of our screens. 

Emerald Lifeswarm and Fate Dice Pink Horror Banner is disgusting though, I will say that. I also think I stood no chance if oppo had access to the teleporting batallion, but he is dropping it in prep of 3rd e. 

TL;DR:

Fun army. Looks great on the table. Feels like I am making the opponent fight Castlevania's greatest hits. Soft on the competitive side but has tricks. Backbreaking double turn potential as is expected from Death armies. Would never want to fight Ossiarch Bonereapers or Fyreslayers. 

Has a lot of complicated synergies and is mentally exhausting to play. Pillow fisted and essentially requires playing with "underhanded tactics" (Not cheating, but spawning Dire Wolves into gunlines off Belladamma Portal is dangerously cheesey) to stand a chance.

Overall I rate "More fun than Hedonites/10" and I don't regret shifting the money I had prelared for the Slaanesh twins into these boys. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

some hot takes regarding us from what we got:
-coven throne is amazing now
-vrykos is even stronger as expected but also is everyone taking named characters in their dynasty for several reasons
-avengorii is pretty damn fun
-we have basically guaranteed D3 wounds regen in the hero phase unless we want more CP or we need to smash some faces
-all our big heroes are going to like smashing stuff
-grave sites are not terrains so we are good there

And vengorian lord is even better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Now it would really suck if they also put a limitation of once per turn only on all CAs xD 

With the limiter to +\-1 Neffi and Manni are a bit stuck, but the throne should be able to command two units, same way the vamp lord could only CA a unit once, but multiple units were possible.

tricky how the interactions will work out with monstrous rampage „roar“... no inspiration, but what about buffs from the hero phase?

on the other hand the heroic actions make a big skelli block unsupported interesting again, the battleshock could be denied by the champ 🤔 better for my 40 ghouls in FEC they could feeding frenzy

54 minutes ago, Honk said:

With the limiter to +\-1 Neffi and Manni are a bit stuck, but the throne should be able to command two units, same way the vamp lord could only CA a unit once, but multiple units were possible.

just consider this: a unit of bloodknights buffed with rousing commander and the throne CA deal on avarage 25 wounds to a 4+ save unit. Now lets immagine that you manage to slap this on 2-3 units per turn. Why did the opponent's army turn into red mist? 

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

15 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

some hot takes regarding us from what we got:
-coven throne is amazing now
-vrykos is even stronger as expected but also is everyone taking named characters in their dynasty for several reasons
-avengorii is pretty damn fun
-we have basically guaranteed D3 wounds regen in the hero phase unless we want more CP or we need to smash some faces
-all our big heroes are going to like smashing stuff
-grave sites are not terrains so we are good there

A few more takes to add now that I have had some time to think about things:

Finest Hour is another way to get +1 to saves. Good for us, since a lot of our heroes are on 3s. Between this, coven throne, mystic shield and other possible sources, a lot of our army will sit on 2+ or 3+ when it matters.

Any general dying should count for the +2 to the roll for Heroic Leadership. We might easily be getting 3 command points per round just normally, without doing anything. Possibly more depending on how battalions work out.

Heroic Recovery looks nice in a pinch, especially since you potentially get it in the opponent's hero phase, too. Again, Gravelords benefit from having heroes on high base saves, whose wounds are worth more.

From the shooting update: I think Radukar the Beast and the Coven Throne lose Look Out, Sir. Oh well.

Monstrous Rampages are fun, potentially quite good for Avengorii builds. Roar is nice since it turns off Inspiring Presence, the first sign that battleshock might become more important.

Since Monstrous Rampages happen at the end of the charge phase, it might be difficult to make use of the terrain destroying one. However, a defensive monster like the Vengorian Lord might not mind not charging in order to destroy some important terrain piece.

Only two of our units don't have champions: Zombies and Fell Bats. So even Direwolves can issue themselves commands. Thank you, pupper!

1 hour ago, Honk said:

tricky how the interactions will work out with monstrous rampage „roar“... no inspiration, but what about buffs from the hero phase?

on the other hand the heroic actions make a big skelli block unsupported interesting again, the battleshock could be denied by the champ 🤔 better for my 40 ghouls in FEC they could feeding frenzy

I also think that the Unit Champion thingy will be a big deal with Skellies. Makes me wait with the block of Zombies I wanted to get initially till we have full rules and a bit more opinions. Zombies are featured in two of the Kastelai descriptions in the tome, so apparently, Kastelai Vampires rather summon Zombies, lore-wise. 

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

A few more takes to add now that I have had some time to think about things:

Finest Hour is another way to get +1 to saves. Good for us, since a lot of our heroes are on 3s. Between this, coven throne, mystic shield and other possible sources, a lot of our army will sit on 2+ or 3+ when it matters. yeah, that is dope and makes me feel a bit better about the CT loosing look out sir

Any general dying should count for the +2 to the roll for Heroic Leadership. We might easily be getting 3 command points per round just normally, without doing anything. Possibly more depending on how battalions work out. this also low key makes hunter's snare better

Heroic Recovery looks nice in a pinch, especially since you potentially get it in the opponent's hero phase, too. Again, Gravelords benefit from having heroes on high base saves, whose wounds are worth more. yes that is what i meant, we regen pretty hard

From the shooting update: I think Radukar the Beast and the Coven Throne lose Look Out, Sir. Oh well. then again it still sucks, good thing we get improved save wich i think is mathematically better against low rend

Monstrous Rampages are fun, potentially quite good for Avengorii builds. Roar is nice since it turns off Inspiring Presence, the first sign that battleshock might become more important. alas the roar only works in the combat  phase so unless something changes fo battleshock no one runs :(

Since Monstrous Rampages happen at the end of the charge phase, it might be difficult to make use of the terrain destroying one. However, a defensive monster like the Vengorian Lord might not mind not charging in order to destroy some important terrain piece. faction terrains are very worth smashing

Only two of our units don't have champions: Zombies and Fell Bats. So even Direwolves can issue themselves commands. Thank you, pupper! BARK

56 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

I also think that the Unit Champion thingy will be a big deal with Skellies. Makes me wait with the block of Zombies I wanted to get initially till we have full rules and a bit more opinions. Zombies are featured in two of the Kastelai descriptions in the tome, so apparently, Kastelai Vampires rather summon Zombies, lore-wise. 

feels weird, imma keep using wolves for my kastelai

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

alas the roar only works in the combat  phase so unless something changes fo battleshock no one runs

Oh, seems I got over-excited on that one, then. Ah well, it migth still stop important stuff like fight twice commands and the like.

1 hour ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

6 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

I think Zombies might be the play in otherwise fast, elite armies. I think being so cheap and bring so many bodies to the table is part of what allows Gravelords monster mash to work: Our monsters or elite units might not be good at capturing, it really does not matter all that much if you can get 80 bodies for under 500 points.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Monstrous Rampages are fun, potentially quite good for Avengorii builds. Roar is nice since it turns off Inspiring Presence, the first sign that battleshock might become more important.

It does not. The roar only works for abilities during the combat phase. Inspiring presence is during the battleshock phase iirc.

Edit: Nvm someone was faster :D. It basically makes sure you fight a unit at its base powerlevel.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

I know, right? I was really keen on knowing if there's Skeleton Guards in Crimson Keep or if they only summon animals, but turns out, they usually raise Zombies. It's mentioned twice, the Wolves and Bats too, Skeletons not at all. I'm okay with using Zombies if my Kastelai Vampires are said to do so all the time, but I also thought the two other Battleline options to be more probable. 

6 minutes ago, Clewzy said:

How are fell bats faring? Would you take them over wolves?

They fly and are faster. They are SUMMONABLE, so you can still stick them in the grave to deep strike. They can't fill battleline, though, so they are way more niche. They are much cheaper than direwolves at 75 points vs 135, so you might consider them if you have battleline filled and a few points left over.

Not a super exciting unit, but they are neat.

28 minutes ago, Clewzy said:

How are fell bats faring? Would you take them over wolves?

Im looking at them as an add-on to a unit. They can fly behind an enemy unit you're engaged with and attack from behind, pinning and plinking.

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

I know, right? I was really keen on knowing if there's Skeleton Guards in Crimson Keep or if they only summon animals, but turns out, they usually raise Zombies. It's mentioned twice, the Wolves and Bats too, Skeletons not at all. I'm okay with using Zombies if my Kastelai Vampires are said to do so all the time, but I also thought the two other Battleline options to be more probable. 

It says that they sometimes raise zombies, but that doesn't mean they only raise zombies.  And the line "Kastelai vampires will resurrect slain infantry from local barrows and corpse pits if need be" could include any of the undead infantry types.

4 hours ago, vlad3theimpaler said:

It says that they sometimes raise zombies, but that doesn't mean they only raise zombies.  And the line "Kastelai vampires will resurrect slain infantry from local barrows and corpse pits if need be" could include any of the undead infantry types.

Barrows mostly have Skeletons, no? I guess I was just surprised on the mentions of Zombies as I figured Kastelai Vampires to actually raise no shambling hordes at all, given their take on martial honor. Skeletons are the better fit there as at least, they once were warriors, while Zombies don't fit that at all but apparently, the Kastelai don't care x) 

Hi folks!

I'm super new to Age of Sigmar and could use a bit of help. I started collecting Legions of Nagash last year, and thanks to an incredible ebay offer and some overly generous gifts, I now have more Soulblight than I know what to do with. I could use some help paring the following down into a 2000 point list:

• 1 Coven Throne/Bloodseeker Palanquin/Mortis Engine

• 1 Mannfred Von Carstein, Mortarch of Night

• 1 Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead

• 1 Neferata, Mortarch of Blood

• 2 Necromancers

• 1 Prince Vhordrai/Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon/Zombie Dragon

• 2 Vampire Lords

• 2 Wight Kings

• 20 Black Knights (Yeah, I know)

• 5 Blood Knights

• 50 Deathrattle Skeletons

• 10 Dire Wolves

• 3 Fell Bats

• 40 Grave Guard

• 6 Vargheists

• 1 Terrorgheist

I have a grand total of, like, 3 games under my belt, so I know very little about proper strategy and list building. This is what I have so far, but I have absolutely no issue with throwing it all out and starting anew. I'm also fine with buying new models to complete a list; people seem pretty high on Belladamma and Radukar the Beast right now.

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords

- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Command Trait: Pack Alpha
- Artefact: Sangsyron
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

Mannfred Von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)

- Lore of the Vampires Soulpike

Necromancer (125)

- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
10 Dire Wolves (135)

20 Skeletons (170)

20 Skeletons (170)

Other

20 Grave Guard (280)

- Wight Blades and Crypt Shields

Behemoths

Terrorgheist (305)

Total: 2000/2000

Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds:125

My meta consists of the following, in case that helps:

• Cities of Sigmar

• Daughters of Khaine

• Kharadron Overlords

• Lumineth Realm-lords

• Seraphon

• Stormcast Eternals

• Beasts of Chaos

• Skaven

• Slaves to Darkness

• Flesh-Eater Courts

• Ossiarch Bonereapers

• Orruk Warclans

• Sons of Behemat

Again, any advice you have to offer is super appreciated. Thanks a million!