AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

2 hours ago, pixieproxy said:

Oooh, what list did you use? :D

Kastelai Dynasty with Prince V, Coven Throne, several blocks of Blood Knights, Dire Wolves, etc. I'm honestly debating if the Coven Throne is worth it in 3.0 with All Out Attack and All Out Defense providing similar buffs without the huge point sink of the Coven Throne. The Spell is super solid, I did shut down a huge unit in one game by having the Shutter go off and then locking the unit up in combat. However, I'm tempted to run Belladamma instead, and that would give me some extra points to play with. Could also trade Prince V for a generic VLoZD.  Having Blood Knights being able to out flank in Kastelai really does make your opponent give a pause during deployment. Although you could get similar results in Legion of Night.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

How's everyone feeling about SBGL in light of the new rules and GHB ... I know there was a lot of negativity when the book first dropped 

The design decisions of the Gravelords book make a lot more sense in many places now.

The old style of resurrection for a command point would be unworkable in AoS 3 where everyone has 3+ command points per turn. Weakening the healing capabilities of the army makes more sense when there are more default healing options, as well.

A lot of the previously non-functional or underwhelming warscrolls got fixed by the update. VLoZD looked weaker at first, but looks super solid now. The Wight King ability now has a use and his function of making Grave Guard battleline is more valuable. Fell Bats have a role as a counter against Unleash Hell.

I think the book design could still be a bit better. My complaint that the rules constantly set you up for disointment at first brush still stands. But on the other hand, Gravelords are probably the strongest Death army right now, and probably solidly in the upper third of armies power wise, so the bad design stings much less.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The design decisions of the Gravelords book make a lot more sense in many places now.

The old style of resurrection for a command point would be unworkable in AoS 3 where everyone has 3+ command points per turn. Weakening the healing capabilities of the army makes more sense when there are more default healing options, as well.

A lot of the previously non-functional or underwhelming warscrolls got fixed by the update. VLoZD looked weaker at first, but looks super solid now. The Wight King ability now has a use and his function of making Grave Guard battleline is more valuable. Fell Bats have a role as a counter against Unleash Hell.

I think the book design could still be a bit better. My complaint that the rules constantly set you up for disointment at first brush still stands. But on the other hand, Gravelords are probably the strongest Death army right now, and probably solidly in the upper third of armies power wise, so the bad design stings much less.

black knights still suck though xD

3 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Can the Vengorian Lord Command Ability raise 1-2 Blood Knights, or is this limited to 1W (or Summonable, or...) Units? Or does it only heal e.g. a damaged Blood Knight and the rest of the healing is lost? 

Good question. The ability doesn’t specify summonable units nor does it specify a wounds  characteristic. As written I would say you can heal blood knights but not bring them back from the dead. 

Edited by KK9T
Spelling

5 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

black knights still suck though xD

In a legion of blood list you could play them for the additional -1 to bravery and the initial mortal wounds. Just summon a big unit of skellies or graveguard from the grave and use the mobility of bk to debuff some more?

With the 2 inch range they dont suffer from the coherency changes aswell 😁

Edited by Aturox

7 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Can the Vengorian Lord Command Ability raise 1-2 Blood Knights, or is this limited to 1W (or Summonable, or...) Units? Or does it only heal e.g. a damaged Blood Knight and the rest of the healing is lost? 

It just says heal d6 wounds, it doesn't have the extra text saying it can revive models like invocations do. It's meant to heal your monsters not revive models.

Edited by Lucky Snake Eyes
fixed a word
  • Thanks 1

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords

- Lineage: Kastelai Dynasty

Leaders

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)

Vengorian Lord (280)

- General

- Command Trait: Rousing Commander

- Artefact: Fragment of the Keep

Radukar the Beast (315)

Vampire Lord (140)

- Artefact: Grave-sand Shard

Battleline

5 x Blood Knights (195)

5 x Blood Knights (195)

5 x Blood Knights (195)

10 x Dire Wolves (135)

5 x Blood Knights (195)

10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Total: 1985 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 136

What do you guys think of this? Fits into the new core battalions so it gets an extra enchantment as well as being 5 drops. Has lots of wounds and is very mobile with confirmed retreat and charge for blood knights as well as most of the army being on a 3+ save base. Idea is for vengorian lord to be a debuff/buff piece with -1 wound and -1 rend bubbles as well as potentially getting off his +1 wound spell and being a monster in general. Vampire lord provides another caster who can use mystic shield or the new flaming weapon depending on what's necessary. Direwolves provide screening and bodies to make sure blood knights get into combat and to hold objectives 

• Like 1

The Blood Knight love is definitely for a good reason, but I always feel a bit cheesy bringing my two units of 5.  I can’t think of any other Dynasty that can handle what Kastelai throws down.  Maybe a Legion of Blood with Coven throne, Neferata and the orb of enchantment to try and stop the big bad units from fighting while the queen takes off their heads.

this is the latest Vyrkos list I’ve been contemplating:

Belladamma Volga - Spirit Gale

Radukar the Beast

Annika

Kritza

Vampire Lord - Amethystine Pinions, Arcane Tome

Vengorian Lord - Vilnas’ Fang, Driven by Deathstench, Amaranthine Orb

40 Zombies

2 x 20 Zombies

1 x 10 Dire Wolves

2 x 3 Fellbats

Chronomantic Cogs

Umbral Spell Portal

this fills a warlord and battle regiment battalion for 5 drops which is probably not good enough to compete for first turn against the armies that want it but good enough for hordey armies, which I think are the types I want first turn against.  If I drop the endless spells and 20 zombies I could bring a Mortis Engine which I think offers a strong dynamic buffing spells getting through and MW blasting stuff the zombies/wolves/bats tie up, but cogs and spell portal give me some longer reach to shut down shooting units with Lycancurse.  Maybe a Corpse Cart for the + cast and a Necromancer instead of the two red headed step children would make a good swap....  I have too many models.

Edited by Andalf

I've been taking a second look at the book now that points and the new core rules are out and I really think that most of the units and all of the subfactions are viable now. The change to mystic shield and the addition of flaming weapon strengthed the generic vampire lord by providing two good spells to help compensate against the awful vampire lore in the book. We also have lots of heroes with 3+ saves that can easily get to a 2+ to ensure that our key buff pieces stay alive. In addition, wight kings have gotten a buff since their command ability will no longer be redudant and presumably will be fixed to provide another buff to grave guard in addition to allowing grave guard battleline and being a fairly tanky and mobile hero for 130 points.

All the subfactions provide substantial benefits with the nerf to inspiring presence strengthening legion of Blood in particular while the amount of debuffs in the game continues to go up also improving their standing in addition to the strong command traits and artifacts in the faction. Avengorii also has been inderictly buffed through both the new obejctive rules as well as the addition of decent generic artifacts that can be taken instead of the awful artifacts that are in the book.

Skeletons have also gotten a buff as more command points means it is likely you will have enough for a key inspiring presence if you bring back half a unit as well as the focus on MSU making it more likely that a block of 30 will survive to regenerate and having rally in addition to deathly invocations to stay as a tarpit on an objective and can now even get to a 4+ save if necessary. 

Overall the book looks much better now in 3.0 rules and most units in the book seem to have a role barring the major exception of black knights, fell bats, and the bloodseeker palanquin. I'm really excited to play soulblight and try out the many potential lists in the book

Edited by idn0971
Typos

20 minutes ago, abmcdonald said:

I’m unsure on the black knights hate. I plan throwing a unit of 5 black knights away turn 1 or 2 to power up endless legions. Each new unit doing d3 mortals and tying up key units/trigger unleash hell sounds fine to me. 

First off, you only get a bonus to the endless legions roll for enemy units destroyed not friendly units. The other issue with them is that they are directly competing for the same role as direwolves and are worse on almost all counts vs direwolves as a fast cheap chaff/tarpit unit. Direwolves are 15 points more but you get 2x the number of models and wounds, a similarly bad attack profile, 2 " less move, and importantly direwolves are unconditional battleline and black knights are not. And as far as mobile anvils/hammers go black knights are completely outclassed in survivability, subfaction support, mobility through retreat and charge, and damage by blood knights. They are just a miss in terms of a role in the army as every potential role they have is done better by a different unit in the army.

Hey fellas, if you don't mind could I get a little feedback on this list for some casual games against my buddy?  I was thinking legion of night, but I haven't got all the details worked out.  I was going to go with something like...

VLoZD 

Necromancer

Radukar the Beast

Wight King on Steed

Deathrattle skellies x30

Deathrattle skellies x30

Graveguard x20

Vargheist x3

It ends up being 1950 points on battlescribe.

Any feedback is appreciated!

27 minutes ago, BoozedUp said:

Hey fellas, if you don't mind could I get a little feedback on this list for some casual games against my buddy?  I was thinking legion of night, but I haven't got all the details worked out.  I was going to go with something like...

VLoZD 

Necromancer

Radukar the Beast

Wight King on Steed

Deathrattle skellies x30

Deathrattle skellies x30

Graveguard x20

Vargheist x3

It ends up being 1950 points on battlescribe.

Any feedback is appreciated!

If i'm not mistaken, i think one of your reinforced units have to go down by 10 models.  by the new rules, you've reinforced your skellies twice each, and the grave guard once. that totals 5.  and the Contest of Generals chart says for a 2K list, you can only do 4.

AoSDaily ArmySelection Jun11 Boxout1

15 minutes ago, Dusktiger said:

If i'm not mistaken, i think one of your reinforced units have to go down by 10 models.  by the new rules, you've reinforced your skellies twice each, and the grave guard once. that totals 5.  and the Contest of Generals chart says for a 2K list, you can only do 4.

You're right!  I knew that, too.  

I guess I would split the Grave Guard into min sized units of ten?  Or do you think having one unit of skellies at x20 and then using the reinforcement on the grave guard would be of better use of it?