- Triumphs:

Leaders
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)*
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)**
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Unholy Impetus
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Vampire Lord (140)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate 
Necromancer (125)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Ghost-mist

Battleline
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dire Wolves (135)**
3 x Vargheists (155)*

Units
5 x Blood Knights (195)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138
Drops: 2

Would y'all deem this playable? It's basically what I got at home made ready for 3.0. I first had two small units of Zombies, but figured I'd do better with a reinforced one instead. Also thought about using Morbheg's Claw for an easier Vanhel's. Ghost Mist and Levitate for more flexible Zombie-usage. I'd rather run 20 GG instead of the Vargheists and the Necromancer, but can't get them right now. 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Would y'all deem this playable?

Looks good… 

the trouble with „playable“ lists is the sheer vast amount of possible combinations, especially in semi-comp games. The top tier lists, as stated last week in thus thread, range from Nagash with 25 knights to belladamma with this and that and zombies and whatnot. 

The strong selling point and beauty of SBGL is also its greatest weakness. You’ll have to use your tools correctly and there is a whole lot of them to choose from.
Other factions have the one broken combo, which you can flavor a bit and done. 4 megas right up the field, open the booze and hope for the best. Teclis with cheesy archers and try to demoralize your opponent… 

With Nagashs‘ finest, you’ll have to always have to have a plan, think positioning and plan target priority and keep your stuff in aura and hope for crucial magic buff rolls… but if you do, most lists will serve you well 🍷🧛🏻‍♂️👍

• Like 5

So I'm pretty sure this is an easy question, I just for the life of me can't figure it out.

Gorslav and Endless Legions. Are they mutually exclusive?

Can my 40 man unit of zombies die. At the end of the battle shock phase I bring back a 20 man unit with endless Legions. Then during my movement phase bring back a 20 man unit with Gorslav?

Taking it one step further, technically the Gorslav 20 man unit could be able to be brought back with endless legion as a 10 man and endless legion could bring back the Gorslav unit as a 10 man. And then at that point the clause for not replacing a replacement unit would apply.

Both abilities are separate, so the not replacing a replacement unit should be unique to the specific rule (Arise Arise!/ Endless Legions). So I'm trying to figure out if they interact at all. 

I'm confident I'm missing something obvious that prohibits it but I can't figure out for sure what. I think it might be that I'm to hung up on the abilities being completely separate.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Toeko said:

So I'm pretty sure this is an easy question, I just for the life of me can't figure it out.

So it's not actually clear either way, however everyone I've spoken to has come to the conclusion that they are not exclusive and it's how I would play it myself unless something changes.

With the FAQ, both abilities are written with the exact same terminology.

"Each destroyed unit can only be replaced once – replacement units cannot themselves be replaced.’"

Gorslav effectively gives you the comfort of being able to guarantee when you get to bring the unit back, for the cost of a CP.

8 hours ago, Toeko said:

Can my 40 man unit of zombies die. At the end of the battle shock phase I bring back a 20 man unit with endless Legions. Then during my movement phase bring back a 20 man unit with Gorslav?

Taking it one step further, technically the Gorslav 20 man unit could be able to be brought back with endless legion as a 10 man and endless legion could bring back the Gorslav unit as a 10 man. And then at that point the clause for not replacing a replacement unit would apply.

Both abilities are separate, so the not replacing a replacement unit should be unique to the specific rule (Arise Arise!/ Endless Legions). So I'm trying to figure out if they interact at all. 

I'm confident I'm missing something obvious that prohibits it but I can't figure out for sure what. I think it might be that I'm to hung up on the abilities being completely separate.

Thanks!

Given that the rules text of both Gorslav and Endless Legions reads "Each destroyed unit can only be replaced once" and not "Each destroyed unit can only be replaced once in this way", I would say that both types of resurrection access the same "pool" of units. A destroyed units can be resurrected once at half strength, at which point it is marked as "having been replaced" and is no longer a valid target for either Arise Arise or Endless Legions.

For what it's worth, it used to be different before the FAQ, when Endless Legions didn't have any kind of limitations. You could bring back replacement units with it, or even just keep resurrecting the same destroyed unit over and over (to the point where you could put more models "back" on the field from that unit than were originally in it). But since the language was changed in the FAQ, I think that speaks to an intent to keep resurrection a once-per-unit thing, and I think the RAW language can support that interpretation as well.

So from the looks of it Mighty skreech verminking might join the ranks of the dreaded dead-things.

I personally am looking for a new army project (next to the great and powerful skaven, who will always stay my first and best-best love)

and since I couldn’t decide between the ogors mawtribes (gutbusters and a bit of the beastriders) and the other elite vampiric armies, I have given the choice to my friends.

And they m, well went with the dead-things since we currently have nobody playing them.

Since my friends are more for the fun/narrative kind of play, I was wondering what you guys would suggest.

I’m personally not looking for an army list to win with, but rather one that both sides can enjoy.

When it comes down to the competitive sides of the game, my pact with the great horned rat, currently forces me (which I indulge myself into, with joy) to only use the skaven as my main and only tournament Army, so I really won’t be using them for such kind of events😉.

edit: oh I also might wait till gw announces the rumored battleforces, With a bit of luck one of them might be one for us-us, the dead-things scurry-players

Edited by Skreech Verminking

A choice well made, yes-yes.

I would say if you prefer the narrative side of things, you can lean in heavily to a Vyrkos character-spam list and take all the named characters, or just a few.

Radukar the Beast, Belladamma, Kritza(!!) and Lady Annika are all available as single models; for Radukar the Wolf, Torgillius and Gorslav you'll need Cursed City or ebay.

A Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon is a great pick in Vyrkos and you can kit him out as you please.

Mannfred can slot in anywhere also, as can Nagash, though he's very strong right now and probably not a choice for friendly games.

Taking Kritza, you could always start off using Skaven as your Zombies for a laugh.

Grave Guard excel in Vyrkos, where you can layer several buffs.

Here's something that would be no slouch but still nice and thematic:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)*
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare
- Artefact: Sangsyron
Radukar the Beast (315)**
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)**
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike
Necromancer (125)*
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
Kritza, the Rat Prince (95)*

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (135)**
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)**
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)**

Units
20 x Grave Guard (280)**
- Great Wight Blades
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Fell Bats (75)**
3 x Fell Bats (75)*

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1965 / 2000
Wounds: 144
Drops: 5

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So from the looks of it Mighty skreech verminking might join the ranks of the dreaded dead-things.

I personally am looking for a new army project (next to the great and powerful skaven, who will always stay my first and best-best love)

and since I couldn’t decide between the ogors mawtribes (gutbusters and a bit of the beastriders) and the other elite vampiric armies, I have given the choice to my friends.

And they m, well went with the dead-things since we currently have nobody playing them.

Since my friends are more for the fun/narrative kind of play, I was wondering what you guys would suggest.

I’m personally not looking for an army list to win with, but rather one that both sides can enjoy.

When it comes down to the competitive sides of the game, my pact with the great horned rat, currently forces me (which I indulge myself into, with joy) to only use the skaven as my main and only tournament Army, so I really won’t be using them for such kind of events😉.

edit: oh I also might wait till gw announces the rumored battleforces, With a bit of luck one of them might be one for us-us, the dead-things scurry-players

What are your preferences? Are there any units in the Gravelords book that you especially like? How elite do you want the army to be?

1 hour ago, Liquidsteel said:

Taking Kritza, you could always start off using Skaven as your Zombies for a laugh.

You know me to well, my dear dead-things player.

love the idea😍

50 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

What are your preferences? Are there any units in the Gravelords book that you especially like? How elite do you want the army to be?

Personally I was thinking of taking a more semi elite force, although even going into the elite would be a nice change from the hordes I usually play.

31 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

You know me to well, my dear dead-things player.

love the idea😍

Personally I was thinking of taking a more semi elite force, although even going into the elite would be a nice change from the hordes I usually play.

I'll share this 1000 point list I wrote up previously again because I still believe it's a good start:

It's a list that contains only recent models, can be played in a bunch of different factions and can be expanded into most viable play styles.

There is some room for variation within this list, too, if you kinda already know how AoS works and want to make some of your own decisions. You could bring a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon instead of a Vengorian Lord if you don't mind breaking 1000 points. You could bring Zombies instead of Skeletons. You could lean harder into Blood Knights or Wolves.

Maybe check out the post and see if this list looks appealing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Solid choice Skreech. Next to my much loved Skaven army I also started a Soulblight Army. Absolutely no regrets. It's a great army to play and instead of swarming the board with clanrats, you can now do it with zombies 😉 Vykros seems indeed a good and fun entry point, with a playstyle that can be somewhat like Skaven. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Hi there,

since I had the chance to get some AoS games in (thanks to tabletop simulator) and my strong affection towards those pale heroes, I'd like to get into the SBGL ranks.

I'd like to focus on vampires, so I thought picking "legion of night" for the vargheist battleline would fit in well...
But I'm not sure where to go from there.
Bloodknights seem to be a standard pick.
Vampire Lords start to shine when paired with some of the summonable stuff.
Crimson Court seems to be a bit flat-chested (ruleswise).

Anyone got any tipps for a noob (maybe I can avoid buying stuff that doesn't work well)?

27 minutes ago, MiNibbler said:

Hi there,

since I had the chance to get some AoS games in (thanks to tabletop simulator) and my strong affection towards those pale heroes, I'd like to get into the SBGL ranks.

I'd like to focus on vampires, so I thought picking "legion of night" for the vargheist battleline would fit in well...
But I'm not sure where to go from there.
Bloodknights seem to be a standard pick.
Vampire Lords start to shine when paired with some of the summonable stuff.
Crimson Court seems to be a bit flat-chested (ruleswise).

Anyone got any tipps for a noob (maybe I can avoid buying stuff that doesn't work well)?

The biggest question you will have to ask yourself is how willing you are to build and paint up horde units. You don't need to run Gravelords as a horde, but our horde units (Skeletons, Zombies, Grave Guard) are some of our best stuff.

There is going to be a battleforce box for Gravelords this year. It contains a Vengorian Lord kit, a unit of 5 Blood Knights, 20 Skeletons and 40 Zombies. It's a good box, and if the price is reasonable it could be a good starting point if you don't find the 60 infantry models too daunting.

The Start Collecting box is sadly a bit weak. The Wight King is a niche hero, the Black Knights might be one of the few bad units in the book, and while the 20 Grave Guard are good, their models are kind of dated. The box is workable, but only get it if you know you want both a Wight King and the Grave Guard.

For the Crimson Court, they are not really great if you run them as their actual warscroll, but if you pick up the set to proxy the models as Vampire Lords or unit champions, they are pretty cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys I have a question about blood knights warscroll. I can alweys retreat and charge and if opponent unit  got less then 3 wounds i can pass across it and at 2+ is d3 mw?

Correct.

Important to note that its not a retreat, its still a normal move.

So you can still move away from the no retreat Tzeentch Horrors, for example.

11 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Ok thx and after charge! My question was if I can move if for exemple im in combat with archaon. So I can move but I cant pass across him and try to d3 dmg. Thx a lot!:)

Yes, vs archaon you can move and charge, but cant pass across him.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 12:55 AM, AHexInScarletRed said:

- Lineage: Legion of Night
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)**
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Unholy Impetus
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
Vampire Lord (140)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate 
Necromancer (125)*

Battleline
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230)*
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dire Wolves (135)**
3 x Vargheists (155)*

Units

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 138
Drops: 2

Would y'all deem this playable? It's basically what I got at home made ready for 3.0. I first had two small units of Zombies, but figured I'd do better with a reinforced one instead. Also thought about using Morbheg's Claw for an easier Vanhel's. Ghost Mist and Levitate for more flexible Zombie-usage. I'd rather run 20 GG instead of the Vargheists and the Necromancer, but can't get them right now. 

I am running something similar with decent succes

- Lineage: Legion of Night
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Prince Vhordrai (455)
Vampire Lord (140)*
Necromancer (125)*
- General
- Command Trait: Unbending Will
- Artefact: Morbheg's Claw
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify

Battleline
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85)*

Units
3 x Fell Bats (75)*
5 x Blood Knights (195)*

Endless Spells & Invocations
Lauchon the Soulseeker (55)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 1970 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Wounds: 150
Drops: 4

I think I found my fun/fluff list I’ll be going for:

- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty - Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Wight King on Skeletal Steed (130) Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- Deathlance
Vampire Lord (140)
Kritza, the Rat Prince (95)
UNITS
5 x Black Knights (120)
5 x Blood Knights (195)
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
3 x Fell Bats (75)
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
3 x Vargheists (155)
   TOTAL: 1990/2000
LEADERS: 4/6
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3
REINFORCED UNITS: 1/4 DROPS: 12
BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 1/4
ARTILLERY: 0/4 ALLIES: 0/400

haven’t decided on the traits and artefacts yet, anyways what are your thoughts?

Edited by Skreech Verminking