AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

30 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

What do does Big Drogg do?

Big Drogg is a gate breaker with a special rule. He rolls a dice for every enemy model in 3" at the end of the combat phase and on a 6 they take a mortal wound. You also lose your first command point on turn 1 because of his disruptive presence. Otherwise he's exactly a gate breaker.

• Thanks 1

Hi all

Im trying to figure out how Mannfreds Sword of Unholy Power ability is determined:

“If any enemy models are slain by wounds inflicted by this model’s Gheistvor, until end of of that phase, add 1 to the attacks characteristic…”

Since wounds are calculated after all attacks have been made from multiple weapon profiles, and the models removed afterwards how do you determine if a model was killed by a specific weapon (aka Gheistvor)?

Thanks! 

Edited by TechnoVampire
Formatting
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

Hi all

Im trying to figure out how Mannfreds Sword of Unholy Power ability is determined:

“If any enemy models are slain by wounds inflicted by this model’s Gheistvor, until end of of that phase, add 1 to the attacks characteristic…”

Since wounds are calculated after all attacks have been made from multiple weapon profiles, and the models removed afterwards how do you determine if a model was killed by a specific weapon (aka Gheistvor)?

Thanks! 

For example.

Total 7 wounds, 4 from claws 3 from the sword.

The problem with that is against > 2 wounds models, the opponent can allocate a wound from sword and the last one from the claws.

A way to avoid this kind of abilities.

34 minutes ago, Grimoriano said:

For example.

Total 7 wounds, 4 from claws 3 from the sword.

The problem with that is against > 2 wounds models, the opponent can allocate a wound from sword and the last one from the claws.

A way to avoid this kind of abilities.

Hi, 

thanks for the response… did you type something that isn’t showing? It starts “for example” and I feel like there was supposed to be an explanation leading up to that? 😊

Hello good People 🙂

Vampire counts was my first painted army(15 years ago) , and now I finally feel I can use them again. 

I bought two sets of the zombie dragon/terrorgheist. One I've assembled as Vordrai, but I'm unsure if I should build a zombie dragon og terrorgheist. 

Which one is better of the two, and why? 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Psyfledread said:

Yes, because you can’t beat awesomeness…

I have a lot of Terrorgheists, because I also run quite a noble court of proud knights. For Gravelords a doubledragon list is a nice option… But a Gheist or two could flesh out an avangori list pretty good.

so in the end, a Dragonlord could easily dismount and the beasty be proxyed as gheist 🤷🏿‍♀️

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Psyfledread said:

Hello good People 🙂

Vampire counts was my first painted army(15 years ago) , and now I finally feel I can use them again. 

I bought two sets of the zombie dragon/terrorgheist. One I've assembled as Vordrai, but I'm unsure if I should build a zombie dragon og terrorgheist. 

I think the combination of Vhordrai and VLoZD is very powerful, also due to the command ability. I played 2 games with below list and absolutely smashed my opponent. 

Screenshot_20211004-094716_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1

So I'm trying to figure out a proxy tomb kings list with  V yrkos as the dynasty. Hows this list look to you guys? 

For anyone interested there will be a Shelob/Khalida conversion and the tomb spiders will be spiderfang spiders but converted to look like the image below. I was going to have a tomb scorpion as a Vargskyr but he didn't make the cut for the current version of the 2k list.

tklist.PNG

1545773975904.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:46 PM, BaylorCorvette said:

Hey All,

JTJ from RollToWound had me on to talk about my Kastelai list along with Cody to discuss his Vykros list. If you want some decent insight about lists this is a good listen!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on your recent wins. I’m running a blood knight heavy Kastelai list, but have only played 2 games of 3.0 so far. I found listening to you talk about your list and how you play really helpful in thinking about how to play/ build mine.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 3:15 AM, mad_leprechaun said:

So I'm trying to figure out a proxy tomb kings list with  V yrkos as the dynasty. Hows this list look to you guys? 

For anyone interested there will be a Shelob/Khalida conversion and the tomb spiders will be spiderfang spiders but converted to look like the image below. I was going to have a tomb scorpion as a Vargskyr but he didn't make the cut for the current version of the 2k list.

tklist.PNG

1545773975904.jpg

Excuse the repost but for some reason the images borked and I can't edit the post. 

spiders.jpg

tklist.PNG

• Sad 1

On 10/21/2021 at 8:22 AM, Le Chef said:

I think the combination of Vhordrai and VLoZD is very powerful, also due to the command ability. I played 2 games with below list and absolutely smashed my opponent. 

Screenshot_20211004-094716_Gallery.jpg

@Le Chef

why great Wright blades? 
is it better with +1 but 4 up W then +1 save?? 
and how is Bellamma following/givent buff?

Whit Vhordrin What Spells do you chose to cast first? 

And do you thanks it Will be good to swap a Unit of zombies for a necromancer?

im total noob to soulblight sorry

thanks

17 hours ago, RareDesire said:

<snip>

I don't have the most experience, myself, but I'll try to answer your questions as well as I can (hopefully someone will correct me if I get anything wrong).

why great Wright blades?
is it better with +1 but 4 up W then +1 save?? 

The short answer: Yes, the extra damage from greatweapons is generally much better than the damage reduction from shields.

Long answer: Greatweapons do ~30% more damage against a 4+ save than shields do. Shields take ~25% less damage than greatweapons do. These numbers already kind of favor the greatweapons, but because offensive power is generally more valuable than defensive power (you can reduce your opponent's damage either by bettering your saves or just by killing more of their models, reducing the damage they can deal) and because we have access to more offensive buffs that stack than we do to defensive buffs that stack, the greatweapons tend to outshine the shields. That said, I'm probably the most pro-shield person here, and I do think shields have their place, but it's generally fairly rare that they're better than greatswords.

and how is Bellamma following/givent buff?

Belladamma is usually most valuable for her Lycancurse spell, but also because she can cast it while still casting another spell on top of that. Lycancurse is great for tying down an enemy unit, either preventing a ranged attacker from shooting you or preventing them from using Redeploy when you get closer to them. Her other spell can be whatever seems most useful: Mystic Shield on a unit engaged in melee, Amaranthine Orb to do a bit of damage, Invigorating Aura if you really want to heal a couple Grave Guard or Zombies.

Whit Vhordrin What Spells do you chose to cast first? 

Generally, Vhordrai's spells are super easy to prioritize. Do you need to move across the map fast? Use Amethystine Pinions. Do you want to do more damage this turn? Cast Quickblood. Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield aren't particularly good to cast with him since he does so much with one of the other two spells, though you can use them if you really need to for some reason, I suppose.

And do you thanks it Will be good to swap a Unit of zombies for a necromancer?

For the list you quoted, I think a Necromancer would be largely useless. Their list is clearly built around a combination of units that can move quickly, and units that can flank by coming out of the grave. In neither situation would the Necromancer be helpful, because it is slow and can't go in the grave. Necromancers can be great in other lists, though, and I often have one in mine.

Don't apologize for asking questions. We all start somewhere, and asking questions is a great way to learn. You learning means we have one more great opponent to play against at the table, which means more fun for all of us. 😄

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, RareDesire said:

How dareth he asketh us questhiones?!?

See above, for answers…

one thing about the great blades : guards are still only a hammer to smash, 4+ save is nothing to write home about and if needed could be achieved with all-out-defense. If you need something to get trampled, put skellis or zombies on that spot.

-2 rend on the other hand 😈 will ensure, that all the hits you get with all-out-attack will kill things even with a 2+ save

1 hour ago, Honk said:

How dareth he asketh us questhiones?!?

See above, for answers…

one thing about the great blades : guards are still only a hammer to smash, 4+ save is nothing to write home about and if needed could be achieved with all-out-defense. If you need something to get trampled, put skellis or zombies on that spot.

-2 rend on the other hand 😈 will ensure, that all the hits you get with all-out-attack will kill things even with a 2+ save

What do we have with -2 rend? GG does not have it, we only have it on our monsters.

• Haha 1

Yeah, greatweapons are 4+/3+/-1/2 compared to shields being 3+/3+/-1/1. The better damage definitely helps, but the penalty to attack does hurt. It not only (obviously) reduces the confirmed wounds, but also reduces mortal wound chances, since those happen on the wound roll.

*Edit* I completely misremembered, and apparently have been for some time. Greatweapons are 3+/4+, not 4+/3+. Thanks for the correction, @Gery81!

Edited by Leshoyadut

5 hours ago, Gery81 said:

What do we have with -2 rend?

That’s what you get if the free app gets switched for WH+ 🙈 and don’t pay attention where you check your stats …

still 2dmg makes the attacks that go through count. YMMV, give both variants a try, but imo the damage output outweighs the resilience. If you have ten and loose 6 or all doesn’t really matter when you strike back.

3 hours ago, Leshoyadut said:

Yeah, greatweapons are 4+/3+/-1/2 compared to shields being 3+/3+/-1/1. The better damage definitely helps, but the penalty to attack does hurt. It not only (obviously) reduces the confirmed wounds, but also reduces mortal wound chances, since those happen on the wound roll.

The greatweapons are actually 3+/4+/-1/2, so your chances to do MWs don't change.

• Like 2