AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

On 10/12/2021 at 12:44 PM, JackStreicher said:

I really love the new Vampire Lord. We rarely see fit / sporty women in games and I really like her slender, noble shape with the overdone, eccentric armour. The head is something one has to get used to (easily switched), yet the overall composition and paintjob is great. (The conor looks Sandy around the stomach?)

I wished we had Vampire infantry 🩸🥲

some more images:

BDA09583-B2AA-4DB8-A3C5-BF063C3EC46A.png

I love them.  Will definitely have to pick this one up.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wordy9th said:

Sadly I've yet to see any female Vampire Lords who embody the unearthly charm and beauty that the book references more than a few times, especially for Legion of Blood themed vampires.

The book talks a great deal about 'the monster within' contrasting with outward grace and nobility, but I'm seeing a lot of the monster without and little grace and nobility.

Something along the lines of a foot Neferata style vampire is what I'm thinking. 

Edit: If anyone has any idea of head conversions along these lines I'd love to hear them. I was thinking Witch Elf, but the hair would probably get caught on that big old collar of hers ^_^.

The Coven Throne has a few classically beautiful vampire ladies on it. You might be able to pick them up for cheap, too, since they are optional pieces.

So I just went to a 1 day event and got 2nd place. Thought I'd provide some "brief" battle reports. 

My list:  1990pts Kastelai. 2 drops. 143 wounds. Yes, this is a direct copy paste of Baylor Corvette's list. I feel dirty for not having come up with my own. It just seemed to have all the components I wanted. No fell bats though, but I get the feeling that they are a pipe dream. *sigh* I really wish there was more incentive to take the normal zombie dragon over Vordrai, but 20pts for better in every way is hard to argue against. Pretty much the same with Belldona. If there was a cavalry leader (that actually buffed blood knights), I'd take that. Otherwise I don't have any complaints with this list. Not sure if it will pass the Behemat test, but it's got legs, that's for sure.

Spoiler

R1: 455pts - Prince Vordrai - Spell: Pinions

R1: 135pts - 10 dire wolves

R1: 135pts - 10 dire wolves

R1: 115pts - 20 zombies

R2: 280pts - Vengorian lord - General: rousing commander, Artifact: fragment of the keep, Spell: Pinions

R2: 200pts - Belladona - Spell: soulpike

R2: 195pts - 5 blood knights

R2: 195pts - 5 blood knights

R2: 280pts - 20 grave guard - great weapons

Game 1: Vs Dispossessed (Cities of Sigmar)

His (approximate) list: 7 drops. 

Spoiler

2 rune lords (one was general)

battle wizard

20 iron drakes

20 hammerers

20 irondrakes

10 hammerers

10 shadow warrios

general on griffin - amulet of destiny

3 bear cavalry(demigryps)

gyrocopter - steam gun

Battle: This one was over (as in my opponent couldn't win) very quickly. It was the one where you have to control the objectives for 2 subsequent turns. I set up terrain to create sight lanes for us to fight over and had him go first with the zombies and grave guard in reserve. I elected to go second and my opponent decided to play defensively. Barely moving forward, he also kept the shadow warriors in reserve. I moved my dogs up to screen and ran my heroes out of range of the iron drakes, (because of doggo screening) and scored my tactic. I kept the blood knights defensive on my right and played the waiting game. 

Turn 2: My opponent won the roll off and strangely decided for me to go first. Confused, but fine with this, I went. I used lycan curse to tie down the drakes and charged in. I killed 15 of them and wiped out the 10 man hammerers for the battle tactic. The dogs formed a screen from his cavalry on the right and the blood knights remined on the edge of my right objective. He chose to take my right objective and moved his cavalry to do so. I'm not sure his plan as both his charges were 11-12 inches. His ironbreakers held on his right objective while the big hammerers unit tried to expel me from the left. I lost 6 doggos and took a wound on prince V for 10 hammerers. He took it back but wouldn't be able to hold onto it for long. Both cavalry units failed their charges, losing his battle tactic. The third turn saw him win initiative where he took the double and my right objective. He lost the left for it though. I mopped up his infantry on the left as we ran out of time. The score was 18 to 5. I feel a little bad, but I picked up his spirits a bit by complimenting his Dawi's paint job. A strange game. Good to see the traditional Dawi out and about though.

Game 2: Vs Kruleboyz, big yellers

His approximate list: 4 drops

Spoiler

Boss on swampraker (something like that) - General, Mount trait: stinky (-1 to be hit in melee) - Artifact: 5++ vs shooting in a 12 inch bubble

2x boss on troll

2x shamans

3x10 hobgrots

3x3 boltboyz

6 boltboyz

2x killbows (the ballistae)

We were playing the new battle for the pass. I chose to be defender and set up the board to create sight lanes. We had craters as terrain so we agreed that they would count as forests (otherwise we had 4 rock pillars and a house for terrain). This was actually one of my teammates, so it was Ironic that I came out to fight new players and got matched with one of my practice buddies. 😛 My opponent set up his troops oddly, with most of their shots being blocked. I later found out that immediately after agreeing to the craters as forests he forgot that detail. I put a doggo on each flank with prince V hiding behind a pillar on my right. I put my general and a blood knight unit on my left and kept belladona in the middle. Everything else was in reserve. My opponent had a troll, 10 hobgrots, and 3 man bolt boy team on each flank with a killbow on the left and a shaman on the right. The center (trapped behind a "forest") had the rest of his forces.

Turn 1: I chose to go 2nd. My opponent moved his units, but still about half his forces weren't able to get shots on my units. (I learned in my next game that the vengorian lord flies. Which would've let him riddle her with bolts. Whoops.) He did 2 wounds to the vengorian lord and killed a few hounds. The killbowz suffered heavily from "I have 1 shot" syndrome this whole game. He got his take 2 objectives not in your territory tactic. I moved up and had my hounds charge the first hobgrot screens sitting on the center objectives, with the veng joining the left. No reserves were deployed. I got my tactic of taking a objective from the enemy too.

Turn2: My opponent won the roll off and went first. He chose to kill my hounds on the right as his tactic. I popped finest hour on my general. The trolls lumbered forwards and the boltboyz loosed what shots they could, targeting both heroes on the left as well as the hounds. Bella took a wound and lost a hound. When the trolls charged in it hurt. The troll hit my general first. The wolves were annihilated and my vengorian took 4 wounds. 4 wounds were done back to each troll. My turn I picked monstrous take over on the left objective and cast lycan curse on the hobgrots by the big boltboy unit. Killed 3 and tied down all the central shooters. Dropped the blood knights on the left to go after the killbow and moved the other blood knights to support. The remaining dire wolf unit charged the center and prince V charged everything on the right, taking 2 wounds from unleash hell. Unfortunately neither blood knight unit made a charge. I went with the vengorian first in the hope of killing the troll. Did 3 wounds. Uh oh. The right troll did 10 wounds to V and the general got left with 1 wound, rescued only by making 2 deathless saves. The boltboyz and troll were killed by V as well as the center hobgrots. The wolves did not respawn.

Turn 3: I won the roll off and my opponent destroyed the right objective. I picked having 2 units in his territory as my tactic. I retreated the general and put the grave guard on the left with the zombies on the right. Prive V healed 7 wounds and then killed the right flank. The blood knights moved to shield the boss and the wolves continued interference. A few boltboyz were dragged down and Bella wiped out the 3 man unit in center. The grave guard made it to the troll and murdered it. The blood knights failed to kill both shooters they made it to, but with V, served as my battle tactic. My opponent killed the blood knight shield on the left but his army was on fumes as the time ran out. Score:  23 to 16

Game 3: Vs Soulblight, Vrykos

My opponent's approximate list:

Spoiler

Prince Vordrai

Radukar the Beast

Belladona

necromancer: arcane tome

corpse cart

2x20 zombies

2x10 dire wolves

We ruled it that we both got to set up gravesites that counted for both of us, so everywhere was covered in them. Same old shtick of creating sightlanes, even though neither of us had shooting. It was the mission that let you burn your opponent's objectives. We ironically mirrored each other's deployment Monsters/heroes in the center with support on the sides. I did my usual thing and had doggos on each flank and a blood knight on the left with the other in reserve. He had both wolves on the left with the zombie buffing crew on the right.

Turn 1: Either one of us could reach the other but I didn't want to force such a fight, so I took first turn. I chose the run 3 monsters one and cast the spell to make Bella count. Shuffled them around and dropped my zombies in front of them to screen. Didn't make any aggressive moves yet. My opponent went full tilt into my zombies and wolves on the left. (got his battle tactic of killing a battleline) Both were completely killed, leaving me terrifyingly exposed. (Radakar's fresh pack sat back babysitting the center objective.)

Turn 2: Whoever won this was going to put the other on the back foot for the rest of the game. So my opponent took the dreaded double turn and selected "slay the warlord." Have to admire his moxy. I popped finest hour on her and my opponent charged my hero blob and my blood knights. Bella got killed in exchange for Radakar and my general ... took 1 wound. She had a 1+ reducing rend and wound rolls. She took it like a champ. The blood knights killed 4 wolves for 1 wound that they healed. Unfortunately my opponent burned my center objective. The zombies respawned at this point on my right. My turn I picked having 2 units in enemy territory and dropped my grave guard on the right and the second blood knights behind the center. My heroes fled to the to his lines and we entered the charge phase. Both my units made it in and killed the corpse cart for 6 graveguard. Both wolf units were killed, leaving his last one on the left. This was the first time my blood knights had ever done anything but die. It was exciting.

Turn3: My opponent won the roll off and took first turn. I destroyed his right hand objective that was still crawling with zombies. He chose to have 2 units in my territory. A blood knight was turned into a wolf and my opponent stole my right objective and burned it, as well as managing to finally kill my general. My turn I chose monstrous take over on his left objective. V retreated onto it and the central blood knights moved in to surround them. We had like 5 minutes for my turn so everything else was ignored. The knights made it in and killed 6 hounds for no casualties, giving me another full point score for the round. I finished by burning one of his objectives. Score: 20 to 17

Conclusions: 1 - Placing grave sites behind my opponent's lines proved very useful throughout all my games. Both the dwarves and Kruleboyz were forced into more defensive posturing by the possibility of 20 grave guard or zombies showing up. This let me pen them in and take their army apart piece meal. 2 - One+ saves are still busted. Only happened once, but it's still ridiculous. 3 - Bella is way too good. She's such a good caster. Lycan curse saved my bacon in both shooting games. We need better alternatives to her. Not going to happen, but still... 4 - Kastelai level up system didn't matter at all in my games, but the ability to outflank blood knights was very good. Them being battle line also puts less pressure there. 5 - lol Didn't use rousing commander once. It felt more like a just in case thing. ... Probably would have helped vs that troll. Using it to make yourself more dangerous in their turn is also a great idea.

I hope you all found this helpful, and are having a lovely week. Cheers!!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

If there was a cavalry leader (that actually buffed blood knights), I'd take that.

Yeah I was thinking about this only last week, something like a Vampire Lord on Nightmare or Abyssal Terror, or perhaps a Lord-Kastellan similar to a Liege-Kavalos.

Ideally with a command ability to give a unit (an aura might be too strong but maybe not if only 9" or 12") a buff of run and charge.

Also it's having 10 or more wounds that makes you ignore the effects of behind Wyldwoods, not Fly. So you can be shot behind them, but you can also see over them.

Edited by Liquidsteel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

I really wish there was more incentive to take the normal zombie dragon over Vordrai, but 20pts for better in every way is hard to argue against. Pretty much the same with Belldona. If there was a cavalry leader (that actually buffed blood knights), I'd take that.

First off, congratulations on your performance! Well played!

I personally don't think Vhordrai is generally better than the VLoZD outside of Kastelai. The upside of the VLoZD is that it benefits from subfaction allegiance abilities, artefacts and command traits. That means that it can do stuff that Vhordrai can't in a bunch of subfactions, like capture for 14 models in Vyrkos or be at a permanent +1 to saves, -1 to be hit in Legion of Blood.

As far as a cavalry hero: I think the Vengorian Lord is that. His main buff, in my opinion, is that -1 rend aura. Maybe not exactly what you want for your cavalry, but it's good on Blood Knights, whose tankyness is definitely one of their best features. For what it's worth, though, I'd also love a hero that could give run and charge. A bit of a missed opportunity with the Wight King, IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

So I just went to a 1 day event and got 2nd place. Thought I'd provide some "brief" battle reports. 

My list:  1990pts Kastelai. 2 drops. 143 wounds. Yes, this is a direct copy paste of Baylor Corvette's list. I feel dirty for not having come up with my own. It just seemed to have all the components I wanted.

ha! No worries, if I didn't want people to know I wouldn't have posted it. Glad to see someone else having success with the list. As you mentioned, the "leveling up" system in Kastelai is very situational. It has only made a noticeable difference for me a handful of times. But the real reason to go Kastelai is 1) BK Battleline 2) Rousing Commander 3) Fragment of the Keep 4) Out Flank BK's. 

I too wish there was a mounted Vampire Lord option, but honestly that is how I treat the Vengorian Lord, based on speed, save, wounds count, base size he really is just that.

I also think this list can live through potential winter FAQ point increases, you could easily drop a unit of dogs or the Zombies and replace them with Bats or something cheaper to absorb any potential point increases for the list.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

First off, congratulations on your performance! Well played!

I personally don't think Vhordrai is generally better than the VLoZD outside of Kastelai. The upside of the VLoZD is that it benefits from subfaction allegiance abilities, artefacts and command traits. That means that it can do stuff that Vhordrai can't in a bunch of subfactions, like capture for 14 models in Vyrkos or be at a permanent +1 to saves, -1 to be hit in Legion of Blood.

As far as a cavalry hero: I think the Vengorian Lord is that. His main buff, in my opinion, is that -1 rend aura. Maybe not exactly what you want for your cavalry, but it's good on Blood Knights, whose tankyness is definitely one of their best features. For what it's worth, though, I'd also love a hero that could give run and charge. A bit of a missed opportunity with the Wight King, IMO.

I agree on the VLoZD and Vhordrai comparison. I usually take the generic one in LoB for the re-roll charge aura. It helps Grave guard a lot.

The Vengorian Lord isn't just there to help Blood knights survive. His unique spell, +1 to wound is great too. Really helps grave guard (I love my Grave guard :) ). And run and charge would be nice, but I would love a hero with the old deathmarch ability as a command. That is the real missed opportunity, in my opinion. Also Vanhel's used to grant an extra move too. They could have made it a choice between an extra move, or double activation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gery81 said:

Also Vanhel's used to grant an extra move too. They could have made it a choice between an extra move, or double activation.

Hmm would be cool if it was something that happened at the start of the movement phase, either you get a free move OR you can pile in and fight.

Would allow you to clear a unit maybe then move and charge again, or get that initial extra movement to prepare for another turn.

1 hour ago, Liquidsteel said:

Hmm would be cool if it was something that happened at the start of the movement phase, either you get a free move OR you can pile in and fight.

Would allow you to clear a unit maybe then move and charge again, or get that initial extra movement to prepare for another turn.

I'm really missing the extra movement from Deathmarch/Mastery of Death. It was so nice when Grave Guard were able to move 11". Well, I guess they deal way better damage now, at least. Still, I think if we had a Deathrattle-exclusive movement buff of some kind (run and charge, hero phase move...) I think that would boost the viability of Black Knights a lot.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm really missing the extra movement from Deathmarch/Mastery of Death. It was so nice when Grave Guard were able to move 11". Well, I guess they deal way better damage now, at least. Still, I think if we had a Deathrattle-exclusive movement buff of some kind (run and charge, hero phase move...) I think that would boost the viability of Black Knights a lot.

A Deathrattle Hero, or spell lore to move things would be awesome.

Hoping you'll be able to answer a quick question. How many spells from the lores does Nagash know? The rules for Enhancements would mean just one (unless another Enhancement was spent on magic) but the book says he knows them all. Now the book is technically 2nd edition so do the new rules take precedence? To add to my confusion, the app says he can only choose one spell. Would seem a bit daft if he can only choose one. 

Anyway, I'm confused. Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, lare2 said:

Hoping you'll be able to answer a quick question. How many spells from the lores does Nagash know? The rules for Enhancements would mean just one (unless another Enhancement was spent on magic) but the book says he knows them all. Now the book is technically 2nd edition so do the new rules take precedence? To add to my confusion, the app says he can only choose one spell. Would seem a bit daft if he can only choose one. 

Anyway, I'm confused. Thanks in advance. 

He should know all the spells. I think this is a case of specific rules beating general rules.

• Thanks 1

Hi all. I need some advice. How do we deal with the Wurzogh Prophet (or something). For the ones who don't know what it does. At the start of the hero phase, he selects a unit within 12, then starts rolling dice. On a 1-2, he suffers d6 MWs, on a 3+ the target unit suffers d3 MWs. He can continue to do this, until he dies, or the target unit dies, or decides to stop. And he has a 4+ ward save. Today he killed a unit of grave guard, a bunch of zombies, and Neferata. Also, there are 2 guys next to him (Wardokk, maybe?) that heals him before, and after he stopped rolling. And he is surrounded by some 50 boys too. Next time, I will face 2 of these guys, the second getting the amulet of destiny. So, how do we deal with this?

Her list roughly going to be:

1 Boss, 2 Prophets, 2 guys healing the prophet, 2x10 Boar boys, 2x20 Arrer boys, 10 normal boys, 2x2 Big stabbas

6 of these units move 8 inches before the battle, and every unit that has 5 or more models has exploding 6 to hit, and 6s to wound deal mortals instead of normal damage. And once per game they can have +2 to their ward in the combat phase. The entire army has a 6+ ward normally.

Any ideas?

11 hours ago, Gery81 said:

Any ideas?

First, prayers work like spells now so she can only use each prayer once per turn. She can only heal once and maybe kill 1 unit per turn. That's assuming you get within 12 of him too. 

Second thought is to just focus down the rest of the army. That's a lot of effort for the possibility of wiping 1 unit per turn in a smallish bubble. It's totally a mind game ability though. Like why I usually deploy a lot of stuff in reserves. Skilled opponents tend to spend a lot of time preventing you from flanking them which makes them split their army up. Savage orks are meaty, but a 6+ is still bad. You could try to bait out the 4++ by staggering your attacks into waves, but I'd just accept the damage mitigation is going to happen. Blood knights eat savage orks pretty well but are very vulnerable to that prayer.

Attacking wherever the buff squad isn't is my go to strategy here. If she's incautious outflanking units could just pop her hero from behind. Grave guard are going to suffer heavily from the high volume of low rend attacks but will chew through ork units quickly. We don't have much range, but a zombie dragon could snipe heroes as it closes in to charge. Likewise Orks have fairly low bravery, forcing lots of batteshock will help chew through her high wound units. (Remember the bravery de-buffs). Other than that, it rather depends on your army for specific tactics. Also keep in mind that, while I've been fighting a good number of kruleboyz, I haven't fought the other warclan factions. These are just my hypothesis. Honestly, these tactics work on any buff star. Avoid it until your opponent is forced to split up, or leaves an opening.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus

@Gery81 don’t Play with her. The Prophet is such a bad game design (for some reason GW loves to give such unfun nonsense to Orks) and she‘s abusing it by fielding 2.

Simply tell her that the Prophet is unfun to such a degree that you won’t play against a list with 2. Orks Are Good enough without The nuclear prophet. (The designer of This Warscroll should be punished by 105 hits with a pool noodle - this model would be fine if it had no ward save)

This game is supposed to be fun to both of you. Don’t let the abuse of abviously botched rules ruin it. 
You could also just play Nagash, ally in a Mortek Crawler and nuke her Prophets - such fun! 🙄

Edited by JackStreicher

@TheArborealWalrus One of the heals is a dance, not a prayer, so it can be used alongside the prayer. Also, there is the heroic action too. I was thinking of trying to hit the flanks and power through there, but the only thing that would get 30, 4++ wounds of the table is 20 fully buffed Grave guard, if all 20 of them can attack. I tried to get to him, I had GG in reserves, I had Blood Knights on the flanks, Neferata got behind her lines, but my deepstrike got zoned out, the BKs bounced off of the boarboys, and I didn't get the double after I managed to get behind the lines and could charge the Prophet. Sniping is just not happening through the 4++, we don't have the volume of attacks to do that. It has 7 wounds, so we need to deal at least 14 damage to kill it (by the way, why is every hero has more wounds than a VL?). It is a very though match-up. 

@JackStreicher She agrees that the Prophet is ridiculous, and need a change, but she is preping for a tournament. And before the current version of the Prophet, I just stomped her army. One was last week, when she didn't use the gaze properly, and stopped rolling after she failed the first one. They couldn't deal with high save units at all. Also, if I just refuse to play against unfun armies, then that would be almost everyone where I play (LRL, Legion of the first prince, Bonesplitterz).

7 minutes ago, Gery81 said:

@JackStreicher She agrees that the Prophet is ridiculous, and need a change, but she is preping for a tournament. And before the current version of the Prophet, I just stomped her army. One was last week, when she didn't use the gaze properly, and stopped rolling after she failed the first one. They couldn't deal with high save units at all. Also, if I just refuse to play against unfun armies, then that would be almost everyone where I play (LRL, Legion of the first prince, Bonesplitterz).

Only one of the mentioned armies is an issue :D. I also did not say that you should refuse to play against an army but a list.

I don’t see an issue If you want to help her prep for a Tournament.

You could get rid of the Prophets in several ways (ofc dependent on deployment and all that):

1. Vyrkos -Use Magic: Soulwind, Arcane bolt, Vile Transference etc.

2. Use Nagash, he will one-shot them with the spellportal

3. A combination of Dire Wolves (2 units) and the Terrorgheist scream and Soulwind

5. Put pressure on his units surrounding the Prophet to bait her into spellcasting instead.

6. Zombie Dragon with the amulet of Destiny to tank the damage

7. Block Line of Sight with Ghost Mist (the spell everyone can choose)

Edited by JackStreicher

I'll ask my warclan opponents about the savage orks Sunday. It sounds like you need to play cagey. Don't take any fights you aren't getting good value out of. Isolate and focus fire. If they're wasting troops protecting their back line it's a win. I've been fighting a lot of Gotreks in my practice games, so avoiding is getting pretty natural for me. Had to do the same thing against the old Archaon death star too. You'll likely have to out think her. Bait the boars out of position, give tempting charges away from archers/heroes/objectives. Like I said, isolate units and destroy them. Unfortunately this is more of an experience thing. There's only one hard rule I can give you. Most tournament games only make it to the 3rd turn, so if you're winning at that point it doesn't matter if she's wiped your army. Play for the easy battle tactics. If it doesn't require a dice roll and will be harder to do later, do it.

Small side note, the 4++ is their WAAAGH ability so it's once per game for the entire army. If she pops it to save her shaman she's just made her army vulnerable for the rest of the game. If it is only the combat phase I would try to abuse that too. shooting and spells to chip off damage to make the prayer dangerous.

Other than this, it's just going to come down to experience and practice.

Good luck, and may Nagash watch over you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

First, prayers work like spells now so she can only use each prayer once per turn. She can only heal once and maybe kill 1 unit per turn. That's assuming you get within 12 of him too. 

Nothing in new Bonesplitterz is prayers now AFAIK, just abilities

22 hours ago, Gery81 said:

Hi all. I need some advice. How do we deal with the Wurzogh Prophet (or something). For the ones who don't know what it does. At the start of the hero phase, he selects a unit within 12, then starts rolling dice. On a 1-2, he suffers d6 MWs, on a 3+ the target unit suffers d3 MWs. He can continue to do this, until he dies, or the target unit dies, or decides to stop. And he has a 4+ ward save. Today he killed a unit of grave guard, a bunch of zombies, and Neferata. Also, there are 2 guys next to him (Wardokk, maybe?) that heals him before, and after he stopped rolling. And he is surrounded by some 50 boys too. Next time, I will face 2 of these guys, the second getting the amulet of destiny. So, how do we deal with this?

Her list roughly going to be:

1 Boss, 2 Prophets, 2 guys healing the prophet, 2x10 Boar boys, 2x20 Arrer boys, 10 normal boys, 2x2 Big stabbas

6 of these units move 8 inches before the battle, and every unit that has 5 or more models has exploding 6 to hit, and 6s to wound deal mortals instead of normal damage. And once per game they can have +2 to their ward in the combat phase. The entire army has a 6+ ward normally.

Any ideas?

Several pieces of advice: This is a start of the hero phase ability: semantically is cannot be used after this that happen "during" the hero phase, so carefully understanding triggers (plug their army into AOS reminders, as soon as they do a during the hero phase ability the time to use the mask is over). This may help catch any abilities that modify this interaction (I am not super familiar with the timing of their buffs, I don't play Orruks). 

More usefully however, being within 12" at the start of the hero phase is somewhat difficult to do without you having proper warning or those units being precariously overextended. Additionally it is 1 single unit that can be affected by this ability, so with screening you can dictate what can even be targeted.

A build centered around this tactic lacks in other areas which we can exploit, and things like blood knights can potentially strike the prophet with a charge around its screens if the prophet has to move up to get within 12 for the "next" hero phase.

Focus your army around dictating turn order and mitigate the ability to double turn prophets into useful positions. The bonesplittaz look fairly weak overall right now in terms of steady state damage output, making objective based approaches useful as well. In general, this list feels more like a got em!/gimmick as opposed to a strong strategy for continual play, and could probably be adjusted for in game as opposed to in list building for the most part. I'd focus on careful positioning, and a double turn of your own with bloodknights running over a screen or crushing through an unprotected flank to kill the prophet if outmaneuvering them isn't an option. The prophet is only going to be running a strong ward during it's turn in the case you described, so trading a blocking unit or a cheap hammer for their best ward and only source of damage isn't a bad call perhaps. If you bait out the play to lose a 10 man grave guard or 5 man blood knight you can respond by wiping their entire blocks with a coordinated charge of your own. We are always going to be at the advantage "trading" pieces back and forth of similar value since many of ours return, and our objective control often exceeds theirs. I'd actively look to bait out that trade by slamming 5 blood knights into their boars nearby to bait out the prophet and its waagh before sweeping my main assault in for the kill.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, JackStreicher said:

@Gery81 don’t Play with her. The Prophet is such a bad game design (for some reason GW loves to give such unfun nonsense to Orks) and she‘s abusing it by fielding 2.

Simply tell her that the Prophet is unfun to such a degree that you won’t play against a list with 2. Orks Are Good enough without The nuclear prophet. (The designer of This Warscroll should be punished by 105 hits with a pool noodle - this model would be fine if it had no ward save)

This game is supposed to be fun to both of you. Don’t let the abuse of abviously botched rules ruin it. 
You could also just play Nagash, ally in a Mortek Crawler and nuke her Prophets - such fun! 🙄

Just as a small aside, I don't believe we can ally in any OBR units as Soulblight, unless I'm missing some special rule from Nagash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kaizennus said:

Just as a small aside, I don't believe we can ally in any OBR units as Soulblight, unless I'm missing some special rule from Nagash.

Nagash can be played in SBGL as well as OBR just because of his inclusion in both lists of points. It is Arkhan the Black that we "lost" to OBR exclusive. I think Nagash is likely stronger with the OBR rules (ignore rend 1, heal himself and any other units not just the summonable ones, stronger support spell lore) but He is pretty viable in SBGL. It feels bad to suggest the only answer to a 150 point magician is a 1000 point god however....

Afaik there is no way to get a Mortek crawler into our lists. Our only ranged option to deal with the prophet is dragon breath/ bravery screeches (which aren't very reliable with his Bravery of 8 and short ranges). We really need some vampiric archers or something to cover instances like this where opposing forces want to onion screen support heroes and nukes, otherwise we have a dearth of reliable answers for situations like this helping the general who needed help. Thankfully in this case their magic/ability hammer is short ranged, but I have concerns about our ability to answer units like this in the future when designers slip up and give something like the prophet a little more range/reach.

Edited by jjb070707
  • Thanks 1